Building a battle belt

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Building a battle belt

Post by corrsk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 pm

So I have decided to build a battle belt. I feel before I run out and purchase the belt I need to decide what I want on it. Here are my ideas so far. Please help me out with suggestions and ideas.

3x 30rd AR mags
2 Glock mags
Leatherman

My idea is to stack the Glock mags and Leatherman on the AR mag pouches

First aid kit

Serpa holster for Glock 19

Flashlight

Some sort of hydration. This is only a possibility as I don't want to offset the weight balance too much or add a lot of girth. Looking for ideas for a smaller hydration container

For now this is all I can come up with. Please throw out ideas.

Anyone have experience with using suspenders with a battle belt?

I will post picks as I make purchases and build the belt.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Re: Building a battle belt

Post by corrsk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:41 pm

I should add that I have a 34 inch waist.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Surprisingly durable and will hold all the mags and gerber for $20:

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Triple-Kan ... B0048Z9YPA

Comes in lots of colors too. Keep in mind though that when you stack like that you can run into problems with transition fire reloads. When you hang your rifle in front it may block the access to the mag pouches depending upon your set up. I find pistol pouches are better off a little bit to the side.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:49 pm

I was just looking at those as it would cover the ar mags, Glock mags and leatherman

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:50 pm

Fortunately Glock 19 mags are short so there should be enough gap between the top of the pistol mag pouch and the opening for the rifle mag pouch

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:54 pm

A simple police-style duty belt arrangement will carry an awful lot of equipment. It's not as tacticool but plenty functional.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:40 pm

You are certainly on the right track. Of course, the first thing to figure out is; what is the purpose of the battle belt? Is this your "play at the range" setup, or more of a "Wolverines!" setup?

There are a TON of different setups shown and discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74377

Be sure you have a lot of free time before you start reading thru that thread.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:56 pm

Pick up some glock 17 mags for reloads. they are longer, easier to grab, and hold two extra rounds each. 25 bucks or so online.

My battle belt currently consists of a blade tech holster, glock 19, 3 pistol tacos, two glock 17 mags, and two ar mags in a x2r taco. The empty pistol taco is great for a leatherman or sure fire.

I'll add a canteen and admin pouch from time to time to turn it into more of a patrol or scout belt, but I feel the extra lbs throws off the ambiance and the back end starts to drag down. Suspenders get in the way of my chest rig if I need more mags, and that also has a 2 liter camelbak .

No perfect answer :ohdear:

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:10 am

I don't have a chest rig. Not sure if I will go that route. I've been going back and forth on one or the other or both. I feel the belt is the best way to go. If it gets to the point where I need the belt it would be for shit has hit the fan edc. Not going wolverines or Rambo here. The inlaws are less than a mile away. I just want to be able to have the shtf essentials on me to get me to the rest of my gear.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:35 pm

So I ordered a few things. Belt, Codie h harness, tripple rifle mag pouch with pistol mag pouches attached, serpa Molle adapter. Went with coyote tan. Should be in by next week

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:02 pm

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:03 pm

3 AR pmags, 3 Glock 19 mags, tear off first aid kit, Nalgene bottle pouch, Glock 19 in serpa holster, leatherman surge with bit kit, and streamlight sidewinder

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:07 pm

I think I may switch out the Nalgene bottle to dual Nalgene canteens to help with weight dispersement.
I also want to add a small admin pouch to hold a spare set of batteries. Other than that i am pretty happy. I decided to get the complete set up all by condor because I had a bunch of condor stuff already sitting around and I only had to invest $40 to get everything I needed for the belt. Perhaps one day I will upgrade to the hsgi belt. The only issue is that it may be too big for me. The condor belt I have is size small and it is almost too big.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:27 pm

You have to play with your new toy to see if it works for you.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:28 pm

Instead of getting a new admin pouch and Nalgene pouches, have you thought about getting a USGI style canteen pouch? Those will hold Nalgenes (Nalgene also does make canteens) and the velcro pockets on the sides could hold your batteries or other small essentials. I keep batteries on one side and water treatment pills on the other on mine.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:29 am

I have considered that. I didn't mean a pouch from Nalgene specifically. I just meant a GI style canteen. The slimmer profile is nice and one on each side of my back would help balance it a little more. I feel this set up will work well. It's extremely similar to what I had in Iraq. The set up in Iraq didn't have a pistol or pistol mags though. It had 6 AR mags. Also water was in a camelbak. And all of it was on a vest which I wasn't a big fan of. The vest was extremely uncomfortable. As the saying goes in the army there are two sizes. Too small and too large.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 pm

My apologies, I didn't see that you said canteens already. And I meant pouches for the Nalgenes when I said Nalgene pouches, I'm not sure Nalgene makes pouches any way. And I know exactly what you mean about army sizes, don't even get me start on the IBA

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tobias05 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:37 pm

the Nalgene canteens are top notch, I really like mine.

I use usgi molle canteen pouches, perfect fit. I went with the dsu colored pouches and dyed them a puke-piss-OD green, but they look okay lol.

also have a condor h harness, not a bad piece of gear to toy around with, will definitely need it with 2 canteens and an admin pouch to balance out the weight.

I have an alice buttpack that maybe I could string up with some malice clips, a'la boot camp alice warbelt.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:04 pm

A suggestion.

If you're going to use suspenders, you might look at getting a bladder and pouch to put on the back of the suspenders. Then move the med pouch around a bit so it's on your side. It'll accomplish a couple things. One, it'll get a big thing off of your belt. Second, it'll make it feasible/easier to sit in a car, if needed. Third it'll get stuff off of your spine area and allow you to lay flat on your back. One of the big tests for me is seeing if I can sit in a vehicle with my gear on, be that my belt, chest rig, or whatever. Another test is making sure you can walk through a doorway easily without snagging anything hanging off of the side. Personally, I run the belt with single pouches only. On the left, starting at the front and working back, two single AR pouches, one pistol pouch, IFAK, and a rolled up dump pouch. On the right, starting at the front, is a leatherman pouch, light pouch, pistol, and another single AR mag pouch that holds whatever I need it to hold. Usually my gps, or phone, or another AR mag, or whatever I need it to. That's the beauty of HSGI taco pouches, which you should look at if this will see regular use. All of those pouches are HSGI tacos, either pistol or rifle mag pouches, that you cram whatever you need into them.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:44 pm

Those hsgi pouches are on the very expensive side. I may eventually switch to those but I want to spend some time with the belt before I invest a ton of cash into it. Going with the hsgi belt and punches will cost well over $200.

As far as running a bladder I considered it and moved on. Those bladders are high maintenance. I've had them burst on me on 2 occasions . The other issue I have is your putting all your water in one container. If I have 2 canteens it serves as a redundancy and I can add drink mixes. I do need to add a dump pouch though.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Anyone have suggestions on where to get 2 canteens and 2 Molle tan canteen pouches?

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tobias05 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Nalgene canteens look to be about seven dollars a piece on amazon.

Molle canteen pouches run about 10-20 bucks each on eBay,depending on color and condition. ACU is cheap, NOS woodland (!!!) more expensive, etc...

Would include links, but I'm on my phone.

Magic Man!
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead, the one I want to make about zombies attacking Knob Creek during the machine gun shoot.

Post by Magic Man! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:54 pm

Coming from a slightly different angle...

I view a battle/war belt as my immediate, always on my person (photo was taken downrange where one could walk about in such a manner) line for troubled times. Over time, I have developed certain patterns of behavior. My CCW magazines always live in the same place on my body. My pistol lives in the same general place. When my hands want a rifle magazine, they look on my chest, when they want a pistol magazine, they look on my waist. The belt has 3 pistol mags, a medical kit with a knife behind it, two gerber multitools, a pistol, and wallet. OSOE war belt over an OSOE cobra belt, I cannot in good faith recommend anything else, random M9 mag pouches, OSOE tear off medical kit (I now have the OSOE LPAK mounted, much slimmer), the Gerber pouches were zip tied to the belt, and I forget the pistol holster, it is in a closet somewhere - I currently have a safariland roto-holster mounted for my Glock. The point behind this belt was to get me from where ever something stupid happened to someplace with more goodness and less fail. Never needed it. For fighting with a rifle, if you have time/money for a rifle, you have time/money for armor, and now you are in a serious fight. There is a reason you see people wearing armor running chest rigs, it pretty well works.

All that said - there are a LOT of ways to skin this cat.

There is nothing wrong per se with your loadout. It makes sense - you want a single grab and go setup to cover a known distance (that is the gist of it, yes?) with a basic combat and essentials load. There are three things I will throw out. First - TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN! When your rifle suddenly runs out of bullets, you should not have to ask yourself where your reload is, your hands should be solving the problem while your brain is thinking about moving and communicating. Second - Medical. You cannot have a good enough blowout kit. When my blowout kit erupts a full extraction team, and then a full top tier trauma center complete with world class doctors and hot nurses around me, I will stop improving it. Until then, I am always looking to upgrade my blowout kit. Third - Comms. Knowledge is power, comms bring knowledge. A cheapo radio where all you can pick up is your local FM radio station is better than nothing. A top end scanner where you can listen to what the police are up, a good HAM radio where you can talk with your group, linked to a good headset is an objective of mine. Okay, I was wrong, and Fourth - keep the weight down. Weight sucks, and moving slow is a good way to exhaust yourself to where you don't make as good decisions, you take shortcuts, and bad things happen. Gear is the least important thing, mindset is the most. Having the skill to run what you brung is more important than having the nicest/perfect/most tactical gear.

Hopefully the above thoughts help, even though they don't strictly answer your question. Welcome to the eternal evolution of gear, we are always trying something new in an effort to optimize our equipment to our purpose!

- Magic Man!

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:00 pm

I do plan to add a radio pouch as well but I need to get a corded mic

Return to “Bug Out Gear”