King of Random = King of Preppers

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

King of Random = King of Preppers

Post by Halfapint » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:04 pm

So I know a few people have posted links to his work before but I kinda figured I'd start a dedicated thread for his videos. I've gone though quite a few of them and I can see how MANY of these would be something the hive mind would approve of. Many of them are ones that might be useful for people who want to be more self sufficient, or are into survival.

Gum wrapper firestarter, pretty cool easy to make something that might save your life if you're in a Les Shroud survival situation.

Melting Aluminum to make little ingots (trying to find where he actually makes the foundry not just melts things)

Found the video that he used to make his furnace. His is a bit larger, and he uses charcoal instead of just a blow torch. But the important part is the mixture that makes the lining. It's a 50/50 plaster of paris and play sand mix.

Making hydrogen from the sun! Yes it's dangerous but hey, so is walking down the street

Have tuna? Make a candle.

Match missiles! Ok ok not prepper related but hey, fun to make.

I'm going to make one of these as a cheap pump for my gold sluice, similar ones from gold sellers go for about $100-$150. Also pretty nifty little hand transfer pump.
Here's the one way valves for the pump.

Here's a nifty little fire piston, seems to work really well, probably better than the store bought ones.

These are just a few I found that might be pretty useful, most of his projects are nice because they don't require a lot of specialized tools, or can be done without them. I've learned a lot from this guy, just thought I would share the love and hopefully you'll learn something.
Last edited by Halfapint on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: King of Random = King of Preppers

Post by Murphman » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Never saw this guy before.

Good Stuff. Thanks!!
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:47 am

We used to make the rockets in jail.

Out of the paper matches and the foil from a cigaret pack.
The winner was the guy who could get it in the trash can.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:59 am

MacAttack wrote:We used to make the rockets in jail.

Out of the paper matches and the foil from a cigaret pack.
The winner was the guy who could get it in the trash can.
That genuinely made me lol!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:02 am

Adding a couple videos from his page because they are pretty cool. Yes he is sponsored by various different companies so he has some shameless product placement but meh, still good information.

Here's one that's really not a bad idea, I've seen various forms of this, but I like that he just uses "junk" to make a long lasting emergency stove.

Making some easy DIY containers out of pop bottles. I'm really digging this one.

Making a stick/arc welder out of old microwave parts it's 2 parts and if you do it wrong it'll kill you dead pretty damn quickly. So user beware! (that's my completely legit legal doc for anyone dumb enough to try this and fail)

Part2

Speaking of welding.... You wanted a spot welder? Sure this guy built one of those as well.

This one is kind of silly, but hey.... We're on a site prepping for zombies! BUAHAHA! How to make an a 40w hand crank generator.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Here's how he made his foundry for the melting of aluminum cans.... Pretty bad ass actually think I might make.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Love. This. Thread. Thank you Halfapint!
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Yep I have been subbed to the King of Random channel for quite awhile. He has some great stuff.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Psycosis

Post by Psycosis » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:01 am

ineffableone wrote:Yep I have been subbed to the King of Random channel for quite awhile. He has some great stuff.
Same here, guy has some good vids

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:28 am

I know this is a King of Random thread, but figured folks who like his stuff would also like Intense Angler's Tip of the week videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkZqmu ... 7IcK7D7X0A a bit more bushcrafty but still some great info that a prepper can use. He is already up to 50 of the Tip of the Week videos. With stuff like uses for trash bags, smokeless fires, paracord fishing lures, and so much more.

Here is the latest of the Tip of the week videos.

DIY Stormproof Matches
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:31 am

Good find.... I'm going to have to go through some of his videos!

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:55 pm

Bit of thread necro here, but I just followed King of Random's foundry video.

Here's the steel bucket with sand/plaster mix curing for a couple days now.

I still need to drill out the lid, pick up a cheapie hair dryer and get the crucible taken care of. Turns out the old extinguisher I have ISN'T steel. I've been researching 3" diameter steel pipe to try to find something reasonably inexpensive.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:17 pm

His series of videos on how to make high altitude sugar rockets is incredible. Using plastic champagne flutes from the party section of the dollar store as nose cones: brilliant!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:17 pm

Awesome! Great job! I'd love to make one I'm in a good position now to do it but the lazy has taken hold.

Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Halfapint wrote:Here's how he made his foundry for the melting of aluminum cans.... Pretty bad ass actually think I might make.

I intend to make one of those myself as well. I just don't like the idea of the steel crucible. Get a graphite one and do it right so that it won't melt if you decide you want to crank up the temps into brass / bronze smelting ranges.

http://www.amazon.com/Foundry-Graphite- ... B00FBFUB3U
Do it right, or get your brains eaten.

eugene

Post by eugene » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Halfapint wrote:Here's how he made his foundry for the melting of aluminum cans.... Pretty bad ass actually think I might make.
It does work
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Just discovered a channel that has some decent projects preppers might like. Mr Gear https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo6DJd ... v3w/videos

Here are a couple videos to give examples of his content.

this is just one of many trip wire alarms, he has a bunch

Not exactly King of Random, but if you like King of Random you likely would like this guy too.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Bug Out Gear”