Coleman Xcursion Lantern Initial Review/Queston

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Coleman Xcursion Lantern Initial Review/Queston

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:00 am

So I just picked up a Coleman Xcursion Lantern for FREE. Now I know what you're thinking "hey, dumbass that's discontinued, and Coleman stopped making the fuel for it!" I know all these things, But before I grabbed it I did a little research, and saw that people use the standard isobutane canisters to fill them. Again I can hear all of you saying "it says don't do that!". I know but those 1lb propane bottles say don't refill them either and people do.

I've filled it a couple times using the isobutane canister, as well as pure butane from a lighter refiller. I know the Powermax fuel was a different blend of propane and butane (40/60 I believe compared to the standard of 30/70), but I only get about an hour and a half max burn time. I tried using the straight butane refiller and I just couldn't get a good enough seal. It did get some butane in there, but it seemed to burn far less bright, and I know I didn't get much in there. I know with the 1lb bottles you want to chill the bottle, while have the larger bottle warmer. Do you think that would make a big difference here? Maybe I'll try tomorrow.

Maybe someone knows of an adapter that will screw onto the standard isobutane bottles and seal around the fill nozzle of the lantern so you aren't blowing a bunch of fuel into the air.

I got this lantern a few days ago, I threw it in my EDC/GHB bag and forgot about it. I carry my EDC/GHB bag on me at all times and it probably gets more than 10 miles a day on it. It also gets thrown under tables/desks/podiums, it gets kicked, shoved, moved, and occasionally dragged countless times a day. I remembered about it today and was worried that I busted the mantle..... To my suprize the mantle was in perfect shape. I lit it and it burned for about 30 minutes (no idea how much gas was in it). It's been burning ever sense (about 5 hours with about 5 minutes of refill time). I'm going to go on a day hike on Sunday to test a new pack I'm throwing this little guy in there to see how it does. Posted a pic below of the little guy.

On a similar note, a while back I got my grubby little hands on a Coleman Micro Lantern and I simply loved it. I even posted it in the thread of "gear that made you stop looking" (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111907&p=2504078&h ... +#p2504078) but I had only taken it out on a couple of low intensity hikes when I had written the review of it. The first major hike where I wasn't on a nice path and my pack didn't get banged around, it stopped working. I've tinkered and fussed with it, and I cannot get it work. It either lights and barely stays lit, or is a flaming ball of death. I may pick one up again, and test it because... Hey even if I buy 2 more I'm still under what it costs for the next cheapest one.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Re: Coleman Xcursion Lantern Initial Review/Queston

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:47 am

My last fill I did about 0130 or so and It is still going strong..... It is now 0345. So maybe letting it drain, then jamming the isobutane canister into it and waiting until it stops making noise works. I found out that this lantern actually runs off the liquid not the gas. I noticed on the diagram on the coleman site that it actually has a small rod that goes down to the bottom to get the liquid. So when filling this lantern you want to have it upside down, and attached the isobutane canister upside down as well to let the liquid into the lantern tank. I think thats where my problem was. I was filling it like you would a lighter, right side up.

JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:22 am

I remember admiring these when they were being sold in Walmart. But I also recall thinking they were far too technical to appeal to the mass market. The high price and mechanical complexity just didn't seem like it would be appreciated by enough Walmart customers. I thought Coleman would do far better to focus it's marketing/distribution efforts through enthusiast stores like Cabelas, REI and EMS.

The advent of LED lighting technology didn't help its prospects either. But there's something cheery and comforting about light coming from a flame.

Good news you've found an alternate way to fuel it. As time goes by, whenever you pull that out around other people, more and more are going to say: "What the hell is that? Can I get one?"

Torvald
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Fido, Shawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, Army of Darkness (may not count)

Post by Torvald » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:20 pm

To transfer the liquid you need the receiving container to be cold! ice on the outside type cold. You also need the fill bottle to have a tube to the bottom or turn it upside down to get the liquid out, you fill until it stops making noise and the cold line on the receiving can should be about 1/3 of the way up the can.

This works for Co2 liquid transfer and should work the same for other compressed gas/liquid systems.

wear work gloves to protect hands from cold burns.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:43 pm

majorhavoc wrote:The advent of LED lighting technology didn't help its prospects either. But there's something cheery and comforting about light coming from a flame.

Good news you've found an alternate way to fuel it. As time goes by, whenever you pull that out around other people, more and more are going to say: "What the hell is that? Can I get one?"
Maybe I'm weird but I really do not like LED lanterns. They are heavy, run time is not all that great, long recharge times (if offgrid). What I like about this is that it does have a nice glow to it, when it runs out it takes me seconds to recharge.
Torvald wrote:To transfer the liquid you need the receiving container to be cold! ice on the outside type cold.
Thanks that's exactly what I thought!!

50 Mission Cap

Post by 50 Mission Cap » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:46 am

I've never seen that lantern in person and quite frankly was never on my radar even as a Coleman collector. If you've got a workable solution for the fuel supply that's awesome.

I'm a big fan of the Peak 1 gasoline lanterns, basically mini Coleman lanterns. These are the 222, 226, 229 all out of production. As a true liquid pressure appliance they are for sure heavier than yours but run on gasoline so obviously fuel is not an issue.

Was in Cabelas last year and they had about 6 229s new in box - literally years after production stopped. Bought one for $45 or so but should have bought them all. Somebody did and sold them on the forum in minutes for $90/piece.

Anyway nice work keeping the fire alive.

Eric

JRR

Post by JRR » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:53 pm

I did see that, but I think it does pretty much the same thing as just jamming the fill nozzle into an inverted canister. As I read it is only for adapting a couple stoves to run on it. I think the stoves have a different attachment method.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:56 pm

50 Mission Cap wrote:I've never seen that lantern in person and quite frankly was never on my radar even as a Coleman collector. If you've got a workable solution for the fuel supply that's awesome.

I'm a big fan of the Peak 1 gasoline lanterns, basically mini Coleman lanterns. These are the 222, 226, 229 all out of production. As a true liquid pressure appliance they are for sure heavier than yours but run on gasoline so obviously fuel is not an issue.

Was in Cabelas last year and they had about 6 229s new in box - literally years after production stopped. Bought one for $45 or so but should have bought them all. Somebody did and sold them on the forum in minutes for $90/piece.

Anyway nice work keeping the fire alive.

Eric
The reason I like this is because most of the time I camp I bring my little little Pocket Rocket stove and a couple canisters. I have boxes full of these canisters. So having different things that can use the canisters makes sense for me. I have nothing against the gasoline lanterns or even the pressurized Coleman lanterns (I've got a couple from the 70's).

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:07 am

Halfapint wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:The advent of LED lighting technology didn't help its prospects either. But there's something cheery and comforting about light coming from a flame.

Maybe I'm weird but I really do not like LED lanterns. They are heavy, run time is not all that great, long recharge times (if offgrid). What I like about this is that it does have a nice glow to it, when it runs out it takes me seconds to recharge.
Torvald wrote:To transfer the liquid you need the receiving container to be cold! ice on the outside type cold.
Thanks that's exactly what I thought!!
Fenix has this lantern:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-cl ... oCvF3w_wcB

It's kinda on my check out list because of the warmer tint, common batteries and ok runtimes. Also the CR123 option is nice during winter. That said it's hard to beat an LED flashlight with diffuser. I also have a few gas powered lanterns. My preferred is the Primus glass. Nice under a tarp during a chilly night to add a little heat plus a bunch of light. Not good inside a tent because of the invented combustion. I know nothing about your lantern. Best of luck.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:18 am

Woods Walker wrote:Fenix has this lantern:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-cl ... oCvF3w_wcB.
Thanks for the link Woods, that is nice and I just purchased 6 of the rechargeable CR123's from battery junction. I might pick one of those up. It seems pretty light weight, I like the interchangeable batteries. I'm still a gas lantern kinda guy, I just like to watch the mantle burn. Perhaps I'm a bit of a pyro!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:45 am

I just got new mantels for this (I ordered a stupid amount because..... eff you all, I do what I want!!!!!!!). I just want to report, that if you are VERY VERY SUPER ULTRA careful use the control knob you can get this thing to burn for hours on a Jetboil canister..... I'm using the 230g (8.11 oz)/ bottle (of the different canisters it seems to fill the best) I just got a burn time of over 2 hours. It does take some tweaking though, because it is almost "off" you need to turn it up over time as the pressure gets lower in the canister you can maintain a steady low output glow (though by low output its more than enough for most tasks). I am impressed because this was suppose to get about a 3 hour burn time using the Coleman (powermax) only fuel. I'm simply using the very easy to find canisters, so I am very impressed with this stove.

For the record I've carried one of these 230g canisters for a 5 day outing using it just to boil water for eating and warming (not boiing), I ended up with about half left over. If I could bring one of these and a small 100g canister as back up I could have fuel for cooking and lighting for a week easily. My personal preps, I've got 60 of the 230g canisters, and nearly 100 of the 100g ones. along with the far FAR larger canisters. So I have months worth of fuel using this one type of stove/lantern.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:15 am

So after really REALLY hoping for the best on this lantern. It just compleely shit itself. I bought mantels because reviews on other threads said it will eat through them, so I bought 6 packs. I then tried refilling it, and the fill valve broke, bought 2 refill valves, installed it, and filled it. I then went to turn it on, it was normally VERY easy to twist on. I had to force it this time. Got it to twist enough to light and let it burn until it ran out. Take the regulator knob out and it's bent, yet I barely touched the damn thing. I go onto the Coleman site and look at buying a replacement knob and it's unavailable. So the most basic part of the lantern I can no longer get.

So after 2 Coleman fails, I've come to realize that Coleman will make a great product as long as they can control EVERY aspect of it. They discontinued this lantern even though it can run on other fuel. They disconnected the Micro lantern I fell in love with in a previous post for unknown reasons. They will also no longer support either of them.

So after all my wanting, wishing, and spending money on Coleman parts. I got screwed over. So besides my love affair with their white gas (Coleman fuel) lanterns. I think I'm finished with Coleman. I'll spend the 50-90 for a small light weight isobutane lantern from Snowpeak. I suppose it comes down to buy once cry once. I will say I spent less yet on all the Coleman products than the Snowpeak lantern, but my buddy who has one (snowpeak) loves it and hasn't had a single issue with it yet.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:26 am

Sorry to hear that. I use the Primus Easylight without piezo. Uses Coleman mantles. Works great. Also have a larger/cheaper Coleman model that's really good and it uses standard everything. It's not all that big either.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:56 pm

RE - Coleman stops supporting an items, such as your lantern.

There may be liability issues related - and unknown to the public - as the why a device is dropped from the lineup.

I have scads of the white gas lanterns as at -20F, they can be counted on to work. Propane & battery power, not so much.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:16 am

All this lantern talk made me crack out the Primus which hasn't been burned in a year. I was using everything Coleman with the lantern and it worked. Had it for a long time. With the advent of modern higher powered LEDs it's been getting less use but back in the day it went all over the place. I carry an extra two mantles in the hard plastic case.

I remember back in the day thinking a portable LED will never be as bright for a lantern. No way! However it's astonishing how near the FireFly is in terms of output and tint.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:07 am

Thanks Tac, I actually meant the Primus, I think because I had a snowpeak canister in front of me, I had snow peak on my mind.

WW, I think you sold me on that little Firefly. I like that it uses an external battery. But I'm still a gas lantern kinda guy, I love the glow. I like to just watch the mantle fluctuate.... Plus, a little heat is nice.

JRR

Post by JRR » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:27 am

I have one of those Xcursions. I still use the Powermax fuel. I have about a dozen bottles left - found some in a store by accident and bought all they had a few years ago. Sorry you had problems with it, I absolutely love mine. I'd like to see someone make something similar that uses a standard fuel canister.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:37 am

JRR wrote:I have one of those Xcursions. I still use the Powermax fuel. I have about a dozen bottles left - found some in a store by accident and bought all they had a few years ago. Sorry you had problems with it, I absolutely love mine. I'd like to see someone make something similar that uses a standard fuel canister.
Right!?!?! I loved that thing, Coleman does make something similar.... The Coleman mini I think it's called, but my first one didn't even last 3 full burns. Maybe I'm just really tough on stuff...

grennels

Post by grennels » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Return to “Bug Out Gear”