What info to put on an aluminum survival card?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Re: What info to put on an aluminum survival card?

Post by Sun Yeti » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:39 pm

OK, I think the information is pretty much taking shape:

CPR (untrained): Ask loud if OK, shake. Call 911 or tell 1 person to. Use AED if around, or have 1 person look. 100 chest compress per minute ('Stayin Alive' beat). ● boil (rolling) clear H2O 1 min to drink; add 1 min each 2k ft altitude. OR, 8 drops = 1/8tsp = 0.6mL of 5.25% NaClO unscented bleach to 1 gal clear H20 (2 drops/L) at least 60°F, stir, wait 30 min. If H2O doesn't smell chlorine, repeat. OR, 6 hrs direct sun, clear H2O, clean clear PET (#1) or glass container. ● Oral rehydration: 1qt (L) clean H2O, 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) salt, 8 tsp (40 mL) sugar. OR 1/2 tsp salt, 8 heaped tsp powdered grain, boil 5-7 mins. Add fruit juice for K and flavor. 1 sip/5 mins, even if vomiting, until urine normal.
Set long stick upright. Mark shadow tip, wait >10 min, mark again, 1st mark points W, 2nd mark points E. Stand W=L, E=R, now facing N. OR moon rises before sunset, bright side points W, rises after midnight bright side points E, straight line through two points crescent is S on horizon. ● Find water: listen for it. Low ground. Collect rain plastic sheet. Wet ground dig hole. Clear plastic pit still/tree bag. Dew onto cloth before sunrise. ● Eat (cook) mammals, birds, freshwater fish, reptiles (except some turtles). Also crickets/grasshoppers, cicadas, termites, roaches, worms (soak in H2O to purge 1st). Avoid bright colors, strong smell. ● SOS 3 short 3 long 3 short. 3 fires = HELP.

That fills both sides. Again, much of this information is second-hand, so let me know if you see anything you know to be wrong. Developing the section on what to eat, once again made me feel extremely frustrated at the lack of a good book on foraging for North American insects. We have some amazing books (such as the Forager's Harvest) on plant foraging these days, but insect information is scattered, fragmentary, incomplete, ususally written by people with no direct experience, and FULL of contradictory 'facts'. Arrrg.

Of course, there's enough potentially useful information to fill hundreds of cards, so this one just reflects my personal biases.
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:12 am

I really like this idea. I have access to machines that prints on very thin plastic cards of that size, I can print with colors and at 300dpi and the cards are 100% waterproof so if it's ok I will use this idea and make my own cards :)

Really liked the ideas of having mm, inches and map scale on the cards, that could be very useful. Also rehydrating times for food :)
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Krieger wrote:I really like this idea. I have access to machines that prints on very thin plastic cards of that size, I can print with colors and at 300dpi and the cards are 100% waterproof so if it's ok I will use this idea and make my own cards :)

Really liked the ideas of having mm, inches and map scale on the cards, that could be very useful. Also rehydrating times for food :)
Absolutely OK. Please make your own cards, use any of my info/sources etc. If you do make cards, please post pics or info about what you put on them for us to see as well.
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks! :) Will post pictures but I have to make up my mind about what I want on the cards before printing.
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Torvald
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Fido, Shawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, Army of Darkness (may not count)

Post by Torvald » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:I poked around in the archives, and I could not find any related threads to add to.

So here's the situation; I have come into possession of a lovely bag full of black, smooth anodized aluminum business cards (blank). I also have access to a laser cutter to etch them with. I'm going to make a few business cards for my own business (you give these cards out only to the very best potential client or networking possibilities, to impress them and let them know you're really interested). I'm going to make some cards for a friend for Christmas, including some gag cards to help him break the ice. But I got to thinking that these would also make a really great, durable survival information cards. Think crib notes for the apocalypse. I could put one in my own kit, and give a few out as stocking stuffers.

Here are the constraints: given two sides of a standard sized business card, and size 10 font (no smaller or someone might not be able to read it), I have about 1200 characters to play with (including spaces, punctuation). I want to fill that space with pertinent facts and figures that are hard to just remember. So what should I include? I thinking of starting with:

1 minute rolling boil purify clear H2O; add 1 minute each 2k ft altitude. OR, 8 drops = 1/8tsp = 0.6mL of 5.25% NaClO unscented bleach to 1 gal clear H20 (2 drops per liter) at least 60degF, stir let stand 30 min, if H2O doesn't smell chlorine, repeat. OR, 6 hrs direct sun, clear H2O, clean clear PET (recycle#1) or glass container.

Does it show that I was trained as an Environmental Engineer :)
What else should be on there? To be clear, if I for example decided to add information about knives, I would want to include something like "X deg knife to stone sharpening angle", not "be sure to bring a good knife".

I would drop the "Clean" "Clear" from the water info, I think you can assume that much on the part of the reader. This is to help remember the odd or less used info, or the "cheater way" of doing something like the like the CPR music rhythm bit that was new to me and a helpful way to set pace. Maybe something along the line of X watch batteries = 1 AA. or a way to identify Flint form other rocks.. Make resin glue... stuff like that would be helpful.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Torvald wrote:I would drop the "Clean" "Clear" from the water info, I think you can assume that much on the part of the reader. This is to help remember the odd or less used info, or the "cheater way" of doing something like the like the CPR music rhythm bit that was new to me and a helpful way to set pace. Maybe something along the line of X watch batteries = 1 AA. or a way to identify Flint form other rocks.. Make resin glue... stuff like that would be helpful.
Well, I don't know; a lot of people (including some of my friends) may not be aware that chlorine doesn't treat turbid water very well. If I was making these cards exclusively for my own use, or other with more experience in purifying water, there's some information I would probably leave off. I may add something on the back like "flint (breaks like glass), and quartz; get a sharp edge, strike against steel for sparks".

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Sun Yeti: Great idea and good text proposals. Reminds me a lot of the old Lee Nadler Survival Cards, only updated and more urban/ suburban. Consider that in thNorthern Hemisphere, most home TV satellite dishes face South. A question, I cannot quiet understand your Moon direction finding instructions and could not find them duplicated in the several survival manuals I own. Will you please cite my a source where I can read the "long" version explanation. Thanx in advance.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:37 pm

acropolis5 wrote:Sun Yeti: Great idea and good text proposals. Reminds me a lot of the old Lee Nadler Survival Cards, only updated and more urban/ suburban. Consider that in thNorthern Hemisphere, most home TV satellite dishes face South. A question, I cannot quiet understand your Moon direction finding instructions and could not find them duplicated in the several survival manuals I own. Will you please cite my a source where I can read the "long" version explanation. Thanx in advance.
From the US Army Survival Manual, Page 18-5:

"Because the moon has no light of its own, we can only see it when it reflects the suns light. As it orbits the earth on it's 28-day circuit, the shape of the reflected light varies according to it's position. We say there is a new moon or no moon when it is on the opposite side of the earth from the sun. Then, as it moves away from the earth's shadow, it begins to reflect light from it's right side and waxes to become a full moon before waning, or losing shape, to appear as a sliver on the left side. You can use this information to identify direction.

If the moon rises before the sun has has set, the illuminated side will be the west. If the moon rises after midnight, the illuminated side will be the east. This obvious discovery provides us with a rough east-west reference during the night."

The best way to visualize this, is, if the moon come up at say, 1600 (4pm), the Sun is in the process of setting, and the light on the moon is coming from (pointing to to) the west, where the sun is...

A few links to other methods/ways.

http://www.naturalnavigator.com/find-yo ... using/moon

http://www.magazine.ordnancesurveyleisu ... stars.html

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/surv ... north3.htm
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:54 pm

Subtract GM angle? even trained individuals can forget this and end up way off of their intended azimuth.

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:01 am

angleofwar, Thanx so much. I've bookmarked those links.

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:06 am

Sun Yeti: how about adding tips on estimating distance and boring two h
Oesch. Of appropriate size to read fine print without glasses?

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:54 am

acropolis5 wrote:Sun Yeti: how about adding tips on estimating distance and boring two h
Oesch. Of appropriate size to read fine print without glasses?
Not familiar with boring two h Oesch. What is that? The print has ended up being approximately size 10, which with the high contrast, is pretty legible without glasses. I have learned far more about fonts than I wanted to. Almost every program uses truetype fonts, which are defined by their outline. Tell a laser to cut that, and it cuts the outline of each letter, which make everthing look like some kind of bizzare, crappy bold outline print. Only program that I could find with single line vector lettering was CAD, so I had to write the text, import it into CAD, change it to a single line font, vectorize it, then send it to Corel draw beforeI could even send it to the laser and start fussing with those settings. I've got the first size done on a batch of them, hopingto have the second side done before Christmas...

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:35 am

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:10 am

Lol. I've seen that T-shirt before. But of course, how many people would actually be able to make any of those inventions using only those instructions and the resources available in the ancient world? I think you'd be doing well to get any one of them working. Hopefully, my cards will be slightly more practical to a survivor, if not a time traveller. If I traveled back in time with my aluminum survival card, probably the most useful thing about it would be that it's made of aluminum, and as the T-shirt points out, aluminum used to be much scarcer (and more valuable) than gold.

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:01 am

Sun Yeti, my apologies for bad typing and inexplicit phrasing. What I was trying (however badly) to suggest was a pinhole viewer, that is a bored hole in the card, aboutthe size of an extra fine pencil lead. It can be used to enhance both close in and distance viewing, if you've lost or forgotten your glasses. You can do the same thing with three fingers. Go on Lifehacker.com, "Create in-a-pinch pinhole reading glasses with your fingers". Also see The Instructables articles entitled " How to make instant reading glasses" and "MacGuyver Glasses". I seem to remember something about a larger hole for distance viewing, but I can't find it tonite. Cheers.

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:51 am

I feel like you'd need several different cards for different parts of different types of BoB's.

For your FAK in any bags:
Symptoms of heart attack, stroke, hypothermia, heat stroke, etc. and treatments. Plus treatment for snakebites if relevant to your AO.
Usage for any meds in your FAK similar to this. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/g ... 8437d8.jpg
Instructions for use for anything kinky or counterintuitive in your BoB.

For your wallet:
Personal information (plenty of good lists on the previous posts)
Emergency contact numbers/frequencies (also good information previously listed)

For your 72 hour bag:
List of safe locations to travel to for relevant catastrophic events and directions to these locations.
You could include a basic clinometer http://www.learner.org/workshops/lala/i ... ometer.gif and a tan table http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/PAGE_482 ... CTIONS.JPG to measure the heights of objects. (tan of angle * distance to object + your height = height of object).
You could consider other land nav info. Here's a fairly decent guide. (http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/mapcompass3.shtml) There's no point imho to putting the map tools on it. They're cheap, light weight and I don't how you'd manage to break one despite them being plastic. http://www.survivalresources.com/Produc ... Tools.html
If you want to get super fancy and can make good holes in it you can do a basic range finder. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwGDPhNhXhg) You don't necessarily need the slider just the cord to keep the distance from your eye constant.
I wouldn't personally want to put information like water purification, finding food, and shelter on the card. That sort of information is either stuff I'd either have memorized (water) or would be better with pictures (food and shelter). There are plenty of good compact guides that cover it better and aren't too heavy.
I'm sure there's a lot of good tables that could be really useful on the card. I'm not sure what would be most relevant though. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188507 ... UTF8&psc=1 If you don't have a copy of this you should consider picking one up.

For your INCH bag:
This is the one that would likely get a lot more information on it.
You could include stuff like planting seasons for staple crops in different areas.
How to leech lye, render tallow, make soap.
Steps for tanning hides.
Anything else you may think is useful to help rebuild society.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:41 am

Acropolis, that's a neat trick! I've starting engraving the cards already, so I don't think it will make it onto the card, but I will endeavor to remember it in any case. I should also tell my dad about that (he's farsighted).

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 am

JeeperCreeper wrote: -Or land nav with a watch or compass:
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/chp18.php
The land nav using shadows was something I was previous unaware of, and it's a real gem. I've since tried it out, and it ended up on the cards. On basis of that, I pronounce you a winner; pm me your address and I will mail you a card. Thanks to everyone else that gave me suggestions.

By the way, here's how the finished cards look:

They are crazy durable as well. I had a few misprints of my friend's gag cards, and I tried scraping the anodizing off with a knife to make his info illegable before recycling; couldn't do it! I may have to grind them with a bench griding wheel.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”