Deluxe Escape Pod Customized for HPG Shoulder Harness

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Deluxe Escape Pod Customized for HPG Shoulder Harness

Post by dunamis » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:05 am

Here's a little something I cooked up for an HPG shoulder harness. This is the deluxe prototype of the Escape Pod(c). Dims are 16"X 10"X 7" (about 1,500 ci.) and weighs 2 lbs., 4 oz. with the shoulder harness.

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

The pack has two external draw cord pockets which span almost the entire length and width of the side panels. This is a perfect place to stuff your light jacket, rain gear, tripod for a day hunt, etc., etc. There is also a top zipper pocket in the lid, two internal zipper pockets which are sewn into the seams on two of their edges, a removable hanging pocket, and a water bladder pouch with a hang loop.

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

It is mainly constructed with 500d Cordura nylon. The bottom is 1000d and there is a double layer of 500d around the bottom perimeter edge. Zippers for the main openings are YKK #10. Zippers for the pockets are YKK #8. The water bladder pocket and lining for the lid pocket are both 420d pack cloth with a urethane coating, and the two black inside pockets are 200d Cordura with a urethane coating. The 500d and 1000d are, of course, urethane coated with a DWR finish.

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

The back panel has a semi-rigid foam sheet, and the Dunamis Gear CHAMPS (Cargo Hanger Attachment Multi-Purpose System) lets this bad boy piggy-back to your main ruck. Thanks for looking. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dunamis- ... 251?ref=hl

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

(c) 2014 Timothy Harper

Exploriment

Re: Deluxe Escape Pod Customized for HPG Shoulder Harness

Post by Exploriment » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 am

Very cool, but I beat you to the EscapePod name by about 4 years. :)

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 pm

Exploriment wrote:Very cool, but I beat you to the EscapePod name by about 4 years. :)
Thanks, EXP. Good to know. I'll have to think of a new name (unless you don't mind me using it.) Oh, and by the way, I do have OD green in 500d and 1000d......

Slimhawg

Post by Slimhawg » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Where do you imagine this rides, across the shoulder blades or in the small of the back?

Suppose the two outer pockets were instead just one big pocket? That way I could stash my Mountain Serape in the outside pocket and everything else inside. You would loose the middle zipper, but...

How 'bout the velcro flap to use with the Prairie Belt?

Just thinking out loud.

Cool pack.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Slimhawg wrote:Where do you imagine this rides, across the shoulder blades or in the small of the back?

Suppose the two outer pockets were instead just one big pocket? That way I could stash my Mountain Serape in the outside pocket and everything else inside. You would loose the middle zipper, but...

How 'bout the velcro flap to use with the Prairie Belt?

Just thinking out loud.

Cool pack.
Slim,

Well, the idea of one pocket probably wouldn't work due to the roundish shape of the pack. As is, in the pics where it is stuffed out, there are both a green patrol bag (from the MMSS) an the coyote 3 season 20 degree bag which zips down the middle (from the new USMC sleep system) inside the main compartment. Even with it crammed full, I still fit a USGI poncho liner in one side pocket, and my thermals and Goretex pants in the other. The mountains serape will fit, but will probably also take up some of the interior space as well crammed in one of the side pockets. It may be a better idea just to put it in the main compartment and access it through the front zipper opening.

(edit) Oops! Sorry, I forgot to address your question about where the pack rides. The HPG harness is actually very adjustable and this pack will ride across the shoulder blades or further down on your back if desired. This pack is quite comfortable with the HPG harness.(end edit)

About the prairie belt? Honestly, I've never seen one (except in online pics), so I don't know. Thanks.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:01 am

well sir I think you've found what you are meant to do. That's a good looking pack.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:57 pm

TheLastOne wrote:well sir I think you've found what you are meant to do. That's a good looking pack.
Thanks for the compliment, TLO. But, really now, I'm good at everything I do...... :D

Return to “Bug Out Gear”