Battle Belt weight limit?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mikeyboy

Battle Belt weight limit?

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:03 pm

So I got this itch to build a 1st tier battle belt. I plan to put a USGI canteen (with cup and stove), a handgun with two pistol mag pouches, a FAK, a pouch for a multitool, a small fixed blade, and a pouch that will carry a poncho, some tent stakes and some paracord so I could build an emergency shelter.

How much weight and stuff is too much for a battle belt?

Djein
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead

Re: Battle Belt weight limit?

Post by Djein » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:26 pm

And you are going to use the shoulder straps? They increase the load capacity.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Curious to hear answers about this.

I have a first attempt at throwing one of these together. I'm about ready to tear it down and try again, and more info about it would be appreciated.

I had assumed it was mostly personal preference. The battle belt seems to fit like the hip belt on a backpack, so I'm sure it can do more weight than I'll want to put on it just fine. Wondering if there's a rule of thumb about it, and wondering if there are general methodologies for use of the belt by itself, or the belt with the shoulder harnesses.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:55 pm

IMO, it's about how the weight is balanced, how the belt is constructed, how it fits, etc.

For an ALICE belt, the general answer is that it fits poorly, balances poorly, and running it without the H harness is an exercise in frustration. That said, the most I've run on one was a poncho, poncho liner, six mags, two grenades (on lBV attached to belt) a compass, two canteens with a cup, drop pouch, boot knowledge in the drop pouch, and an MRE.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:So I got this itch to build a 1st tier battle belt. I plan to put a USGI canteen (with cup and stove), a handgun with two pistol mag pouches, a FAK, a pouch for a multitool, a small fixed blade, and a pouch that will carry a poncho, some tent stakes and some paracord so I could build an emergency shelter.

What kind of belt do you want to use?

I think what you are describing could be easily done. Belt selection will be important. http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/sure- ... -31PB.html That belt could handle it. For what you listed you may not need suspenders, it depends on your body type. Suspenders are available if you need them though. http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/high- ... 5HSS0.html

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Redeyes wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:So I got this itch to build a 1st tier battle belt. I plan to put a USGI canteen (with cup and stove), a handgun with two pistol mag pouches, a FAK, a pouch for a multitool, a small fixed blade, and a pouch that will carry a poncho, some tent stakes and some paracord so I could build an emergency shelter.

I think what you are describing could be easily done. Belt selection will be important. http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/sure- ... -31PB.html That belt could handle it. For what you listed you may not need suspenders, it depends on your body type. Suspenders are available if you need them though. http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/high- ... 5HSS0.html

OK for the record, this is going to be a belt on the cheaper end of the spectrum, probably Condor or something else that is under $50. This is a shit and giggles project. If I like the concept and I think a better belt would make it work even better, I will eventually upgrade.

Also I'm just shooting for a duty/battle belt without suspenders.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
Redeyes wrote:

OK for the record, this is going to be a belt on the cheaper end of the spectrum, probably Condor or something else that is under $50. This is a shit and giggles project. If I like the concept and I think a better belt would make it work even better, I will eventually upgrade.

Also I'm just shooting for a duty/battle belt without suspenders.
I was toying around with a Blackhawk belt for awhile. Never really made anything of it, but it seems decent, and under $50.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Is the first question: What first line gear must I carry?

Then try to minimize the weight?

I think the shelter stakes should go in the second line vest, LBE or rig of your choice. Maybe use improvised stakes with your paracord and poncho if you are only wearing the belt? I also question the canteen stove if you are not carrying any food to cook or fuel to heat with.

Best regards,

Jim
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Robbie in ME

Post by Robbie in ME » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:32 pm

My thoughts and I am nitpicking on terminology 1st line belt is what holds up your britches. A war belt/belt kit/pistol belt/deuce gear is second line. I would think if it is a second line I would run suspenders with what you are thinking of carrying.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:27 pm

Robbie in ME wrote:My thoughts and I am nitpicking on terminology 1st line belt is what holds up your britches. A war belt/belt kit/pistol belt/deuce gear is second line. I would think if it is a second line I would run suspenders with what you are thinking of carrying.
:mrgreen:

I think it has to be thought of as three sets of gear: 1st, 2nd and 3rd line (and not just a belt or whatever system is used)

First line gear could be in any sort of system: war belt, fanny pack, a survival vest or an old set of Alice pouches fastened to some sort of LBE belt and suspenders.

I don't think there is such a thing as a first line belt, second line belt, third line belt.

How many belts can I wear at one time would be a question to put to myself, LOL

Last edited by teotwaki on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:29 pm

How about adding a flashlight and compass?

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:13 pm

http://www.amazon.com/EAGLE-INDUSTRIES- ... tries+belt
This is the belt I'm currently using as my "Holy S#!t!" belt. I've currently got:
3 rifle mags, 2 pistols mags, fixed blade knife, pistol in holster, blow out kit; and in a general use pouch, a broken down MRE, weapons cleaning supplies, glowsticks, and whatever else I decide to put in there. I haven't weighed this but I'd put it around 10 pounds and it rides very very well when I wear it around the house (while the wife is out :crazy: ). I think you could probably add another ten pounds before you need to worry about suspenders.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:46 pm

I found the listing that initially came to mind and I edited a bit for the discussion. So in this ZS thread the OP is asking about weight which this other forum's OP targets at 9 pounds, close to ManInBlack's 10 pounds.
First Line Gear is the stuff that you want with you no matter what. Lets say you were doing a river crossing, and you lost for footing. Guess what, you will ditch your ruck, your rifle and your LBE/LBV so you can swim to shore.

Or you are on the run, and have already ditched your ruck and since you are out of ammo you have ditched your rifle and LBE/LBV. You know, run away and live to fight another day. And this stuff DOES happen. So plan for the contingency.
-
TOTAL WEIGHT OF 1st LINE GEAR IS 9 POUNDS!ALL of this stuff is carried on YOU. In your pockets, on your belt, etc. NOT IN YOUR BVE/LBV or RUCK!!
Remember to 'dummy cord' everything to your body, so when you need it, it is still there (not 6 miles back for the enemy to find and use).
With these items you can literally survive to fight another day. Without them, your survival odds just turned against you.

OK, with 3rd Line Gear (Heavy) - we mean you need to live out of your ruck for up to two weeks, or it is winter and you must carry more gear. This load out that I have here is for a winter scenario that lasts for 8 days or so. This is a large load, and unless one is in good shape, it will overburden one to the point of exhaustion in short order. So...HIT THE GYM!

Original lists here: http://www.awrm.org/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.c ... aysPrune=0

Best regards,

Jim

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Repeating a few things that have already been said, but I'll say it. Comfort and balancing the load will count more than just pure weight. And I'll also agree that I think the stakes are not priority, since it is usually easy enough to improvise stakes in the field if need be. However, if you live or trek somewhere without any natural materials to work with, then I guess that's another issue.

For me, I think priorities (besides your weapon+mags) should be multi-tool, blade, flashlight, FAK, cordage, fire and hydration. For your survival stuff, a poncho, a small compass, something small and easy to eat (a cliff bar or two), and something small and light to signal with. Either a mirror or a whistle, or both. I also like to have a place to either stuff or hang gloves off of.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

wildman800

Post by wildman800 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:07 pm

My harness w/2qt's of water weighs in around 30LBS. My harness has enough gear to "stand alone" in the event I had to drop my pack. This includes but is not limited to:
Ammo, trangia stove w/alcohol, 1 MRE, compass, camp knife, magnesium bar, FAK, gun cleaning kit, poncho, poncho liner, bayonet, side arm, tender, bic lighters, 2 canteen cups, a canteen stove, bandannas, flashlight, and whatever small items that I can't remember at this moment.

I have dropped (cached) my backpack and sortied with my harness only on more than one occasion.
The best luck is what you make yourself!

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 am

Unless you have shapely hips running all that with no suspenders probably won't work too well if at all.

I can't give you a specific limit in pounds because body shape matters. I know some skinny guys who needed suspenders to keep up a belt with a handgun and dump pouch on it

Julion

Post by Julion » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:58 am

If u don't use suspenders, the weight is carried by ur hips.
center mass so to speak.
If u use suspenders, the weight is on ur shoulders.
Not ur center of gravity.
How r u planning to move?

The Blackhawk belt is good.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:08 am

You are going to tear your hips up without suspenders but 10 pounds is well doable. Also, if you are going to roll without suspenders don't forget the keepers.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:45 pm

My belt weighs in right about ten pounds, and anything more then 15 is uncomfortable without suspenders. I don't seem to notice this 'hip tearing up' problem.
IMHO, you should seriously consider what you want to put on the belt, and why. Weight adds up quickly, and is hard to get rid of once added. Just remember that it's a belt, not a mini bob. Trust me, I learned that lesson the hard way.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:40 am

Question to ask self #1: How much do I squat?
Question to ask self #2: How much do I deadlift?
Question to ask self #3: How much do I shrug?

If any of the answers are below 400 pounds, better make the belt under 10 pounds. If they are all above 400, see question #4.

Question to ask self #4: How many sets of stairs can I climb before I get winded/dizzy?

If the answer is below 10 flights of stairs, then make the belt under 10 pounds. If it is above, then stop worrying about belts and start giving fitness advice.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:15 am

I don't seem to notice this 'hip tearing up' problem.
Talk to any retired cop.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

slingstone

Post by slingstone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Are you intending to wear this rig with a vest/plate carrier?

Regardless, I'm not a fan of carrying water on my hips/lumbar. Get a camelbak/similar product. You can still carry the canteen cup and stuff your poncho/FAK in it.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:19 pm

I have learned a few things about this. The hard way.

One is, doing things on the cheap, "just for shits and giggles," you end up redoing it five times, spending way more than if you'd done it right the first time, and with a closet full of redundant nylon to boot.

Another is, the Tier 1-3 concept sounds great in theory, but not so great in practice. It CAN be made to work, but I think it's a sort of outdated concept. Or...maybe it's a case of inappropriate mapping from military to civilian? So, in theory, it makes sense: Line 1, survival, goes in your pockets etc. Line 2, fighting load, goes on LBE, pistol belt, vest. Line 3, sustainment, goes in your ruck.

This made sense when everybody was using ALICE. You stick your "ten essentials" in the pockets of your BDUs, your mags and grenades on your LBE, and your MREs and poncho in your ruck. Or whatever.

You could still do this, if you run a lightweight ruck without a load-bearing hip belt. (You should see the goofy photos of me trying to run an ALICE LBE with a Kifaru pack, the belts fighting for real estate on my waist.) But I like a ruck with a waistbelt, and so my thinking on this setup has changed.

Another issue is that if your survival essentials are in your belt kit, then either the ruck contains the same, redundant items, or else it doesn't. I prefer all my survival shit go in my ruck, so it is a single, grab-and-go pack. My belt kit is a true warbelt, for pistol, rifle and pistol mags, knife, dump pouch. Currently has a Nalgene on it, my replace this or just add a FAK since I always run this with a Camelbak anyway.

So basically, the loaded-for-bear warbelt is an "instead of" my big BOB/INCH. I also have a chest rig which is rifle mags only.

Uh...it kind of occurs to me that I'm rambling, and.not answering your question...

So, anyway, as has been said, the weight limit depends on what belt you're using, whether you're running suspenders with it, and your body type. The "best," in my experience and by popular consensus right now, is the HSGI Sure Grip that was mentioned. This thing is the bomb. It has attachments for suspenders but works great without them. It is all MOLLE but has cutouts to run drop leg stuff if you want. My recommendation is to pick a color, buy this belt, and don't look back. Start without suspenders, add them later if and only if you really need to.

Mine is pretty heavy with as many as 9 rifle mags, 6 pistol mags, pistol, dump pouch, knife, and Nalgene...maybe 15lbs? Without suspenders. It stays up, on my body. Yours may differ. I will probably lighten it up some as I run it more.

But yeah. Buy once, cry once, you'll never buy another belt and won't end up with a closet full of old ones.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Haha...just for giggles, here's my old setup, when I tried to run an ALICE LBE belt rig under my Kifaru pack with waistbelt.

Circa 2007, back when I wore pants...

Return to “Bug Out Gear”