Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

HorseSoldier

Re: Review - Mountain House Biscuits and gravy

Post by HorseSoldier » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:06 am

I've tried it twice -- first time I wasn't impressed (partly the same hydration issues noted above), second time was better (a little hot sauce did a lot for it).

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:50 am

I love me some bizkits and gravy!!!

I agree with some posters that 300 calories for $5 is kinda crazy, but dehydrated food isn't a McDonald's Dolla' menu, I guess you have to pay to play.

Also, I wouldn't get hung up on the sodium levels. I think sodium gets a bad reputation in today's world the same as "evil" carbs and "killer" fat. Sodium should not be a huge issue unless you have a preexisting condition such as high blood pressure or chronic dehydration. This especially goes for a meal designed for backpacking/camping/hiking where physical activity will be at a high level. Sodium is an important electrolyte (yes, I know sodium on food labels can include sodium bicarbonate: NaHCO3 and table salt sodium cloride: NaCl). Most people do not panic about a large amount of Potassium, but having too much of either is just as dangerous. So remember "moderation" but the sodium contained in a dehydrated meal will normally be needed in a sweaty all day activity (along with LOTS of water). Have no fear, there is no "sodium boogeyman" hiding under your bed ready to get your heart because you ate a Mountain House meal while trekking the wilderness
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:34 pm

With apologies, I have tried and failed to let this one go by...
[derail]
JeeperCreeper wrote: Sodium should not be a huge issue unless you have a preexisting condition such as high blood pressure or chronic dehydration.
31% of the US population has high blood pressure. 11% have heart disease. I happen to fall into both categories :crazy: so, while most of us who need to pay attention to such things know to watch out for anything prepackaged like Mountain House, it's not an irrelevant comment.
JeeperCreeper wrote: Most people do not panic about a large amount of Potassium, but having too much of either is just as dangerous.
Not when we're talking about food, rather than parenteral electrolyte solutions. It's extremely difficult to absorb enough potassium thru the gut to create a dangerously high serum potassium level (in the absence of much less common diseases). There's no known issue with diets chronically high in potassium, which cannot be said of diets chronically high in sodium (especially if it's hi-sodium lo-potassium).

But I agree it's a chronic-intake problem for all but a few folks, and the occasional mountain house meal won't do much to most folks other than make them need more water.

[/derail]

Back on topic, the mountain house website http://www.mountainhouse.com/M/product/53326.html gave the nutritional data as 310 kcal/serving and 2 servings? (Which would give the whole pouch 1800 mg sodium). For $6 on the website, so slightly cheaper per calorie. I suspect the 2 biscuit & gravy eaters in my house might like it.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:33 pm

duodecima wrote:With apologies, I have tried and failed to let this one go by...
[derail]
I do not disagree with you or anything your post said. I also believe my post does not contradict anything that you said. Just because I might not have said what you said, does not mean that I am against you. :awesome: :awesome:

Yes, the minority of people have to watch certain things in their diets (31% and 11% as you pointed out) but I intended to adresss my comments toward the majority of active outdoorsmen (without any outlying factors) who would use this as a meal when hiking/hunting/fishing/camping/working and not a midnight snack. I apologize if I did not articulate my post accurately enough. And when I said "I wouldn't get hung up on sodium levels" I did not mean that sodium concerns are irrelevant. My background comes from sports nutrition and physical training... Which means that is my mind set. When I train, I sometimes consume 8,000 Calories a day. The FDA and JoeShmo MD will not recommend that to someone who has a health condition. Same with sodium levels, caffiene levels, and anything else. The keys to health, especially nutrition are: BALANACE, VARIETY, AND MODERATION. :clap:

I also apologize. I did not want this to be a nutrition debate, I just wanted to commentate on MY views of Mountain House Biscuits and Gravy. I can be PMed if anyone wants to entertain a friendly chat about nutrition. :clap:
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:55 pm

duodecima wrote:With apologies, I have tried and failed to let this one go by...
[derail]
JeeperCreeper wrote: Sodium should not be a huge issue unless you have a preexisting condition such as high blood pressure or chronic dehydration.
31% of the US population has high blood pressure. 11% have heart disease. I happen to fall into both categories :crazy: so, while most of us who need to pay attention to such things know to watch out for anything prepackaged like Mountain House, it's not an irrelevant comment.
JeeperCreeper wrote: Most people do not panic about a large amount of Potassium, but having too much of either is just as dangerous.
Not when we're talking about food, rather than parenteral electrolyte solutions. It's extremely difficult to absorb enough potassium thru the gut to create a dangerously high serum potassium level (in the absence of much less common diseases). There's no known issue with diets chronically high in potassium, which cannot be said of diets chronically high in sodium (especially if it's hi-sodium lo-potassium).

But I agree it's a chronic-intake problem for all but a few folks, and the occasional mountain house meal won't do much to most folks other than make them need more water.

[/derail]

Back on topic, the mountain house website http://www.mountainhouse.com/M/product/53326.html gave the nutritional data as 310 kcal/serving and 2 servings? (Which would give the whole pouch 1800 mg sodium). For $6 on the website, so slightly cheaper per calorie. I suspect the 2 biscuit & gravy eaters in my house might like it.
Picture of the nutrition facts shows two servings too...

http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hou ... -and-gravy

124 cals/oz puts that firmly into good hiking food territory...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 pm

Confucius wrote:
[derail]

[/derail]

Picture of the nutrition facts shows two servings too...

http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hou ... -and-gravy

124 cals/oz puts that firmly into good hiking food territory...
I must have had an early run pouch, it didn't list the number of servings.
(shrug) Still tasted pretty good.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:22 am

Well, I'm glad there's 2 servings instead of one. Otherwise, I don't think I ever would have tasted it!!! And I do like biscuits and gravy! But, I think I can swing $5 or $6 for a 620 calorie pack. Looks like you might be held in contempt or charged with perjury, Tac! :lol:
TacAir wrote:
dunamis wrote:Are you sure it lists one package as only a single serving?

I would swear to it in a court of law.
The bags that have more than one serving are very well marked on both the front and in the FedGov food label. This shows one serving, the entire pouch.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:40 am

Just tried it. I really enjoyed it. I used a little more than 1 1/2 cups, let it sit for 13min, delicious. Rather, as delicious and a meal in a bag can be :D
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Sorry Tac....2 servings....
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Keith B wrote:Image
Sorry Tac....2 servings....

"About" 2 - what is is, eh? Now I'm sorry I tossed my wrapper....

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Dang, that IS a lot of sodium. And coming from me, that is something to be said.

Mountain House used to be pretty hard to find on island, only one chain of stores had them. But now I can find them in any Walmart, and there are even some preparedness specialty stores on island. I've been keeping on eye out, but no luck yet.

Biscuits and gravy deserve it's own thread. Otherwise I have a feeling we will be drifting farther away from the Mountain House part of this.

Just like this...

**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Honeypot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity

Post by Honeypot » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Shiny review Tac! :)

Where are you getting MH pouches for only $4.85?!? Even down here, that's all but unheard of. Walmart used to carry them at about that price, but have jacked them up over the last year or two.

"FD" tip:
I know what y'all mean about the PITA-ness of mixing MH pouches!
Read (elsewhere) a great tip about how to reduce that: use a thermos, then you can just shake instead of stirring. That all but eliminates the "crunchy" bits, and works better than a cozy. You still have to wait about the same time.

I'm currently on an out-of-state, multi-week "motel" contract, and brought with me a couple of #10 cans of MH Breakfast Skillet. I do the thermos thing first thing in the morning, and by the time I get to work, it's perfect-o-mundo. It's about the same price as grabbing TacoBell breakfast, but puts me in somewhat better control, and I can use a whole grain wrap.
AND I get to proclaim "eggs, the living legend needs eggs" to my Browncoat coworkers. ;)

Kutter_0311 wrote: Not that I hate Beef Strog for breakfast, but has 'Lasagna" ever worked for anyone?
LOL! +1!!!
The weird thing is, if they didn't frackin' call it "lasagna", it wouldn't be so utterly disappointing.

Now, MH chili mac is exactly that, and rulz. :)

Country Gravy fans:
Brace yourselves... TacoBell is adding country gravy to their breakfast line up:
http://www.brandeating.com/2014/09/tast ... hwrap.html
Yet another reason to prevent the PAW. ;)
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Honeypot wrote: Country Gravy fans:
Brace yourselves... TacoBell is adding country gravy to their breakfast line up:
http://www.brandeating.com/2014/09/tast ... hwrap.html
Yet another reason to prevent the PAW. ;)
Have you given the biscuits and gravy a try at Carls Jr? Pretty decent stuff!

Now I just one of those machines Sworbeyegib posted in my kitchen.

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:14 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:Dang, that IS a lot of sodium. And coming from me, that is something to be said.

Mountain House used to be pretty hard to find on island, only one chain of stores had them. But now I can find them in any Walmart, and there are even some preparedness specialty stores on island. I've been keeping on eye out, but no luck yet.

Biscuits and gravy deserve it's own thread. Otherwise I have a feeling we will be drifting farther away from the Mountain House part of this.

Just like this...

Drools

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:30 am

Honeypot wrote: I'm currently on an out-of-state, multi-week "motel" contract, and brought with me a couple of #10 cans of MH Breakfast Skillet. I do the thermos thing first thing in the morning, and by the time I get to work, it's perfect-o-mundo. It's about the same price as grabbing TacoBell breakfast, but puts me in somewhat better control, and I can use a whole grain wrap.
There's folk on here and other sites that complain about "water logged" eggs just for a few minutes, yet you are talking about several minutes / half hour of prep?

Or do you like watery eggs?
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:43 am

Darkhunter wrote: Image

Drools
No kidding.

I just might fill up my coffee cup with gravy.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Since I grew up on Bob Evans sausage and gravy as a kid I figured I'd give this entree a shot.

Thanks to TacAir for the initial review.

Here's the open package:

...and here's the contents rehydrated. I eyeballed a SS canteen cup with about 14 ounces of water, bringing it to an almost boil. Left water in for 10 minutes, which was then shaken, not stirred, cause i'm lazy. Next time I'd like to use slightly less water.

Having also worked at Bobs for two years in highschool, i would refer to this gravy as "country", or white gravy. Very tasty, but I couldn't really taste the sausage bits. Not a mark against MH, as the label does say "gravy", just an observation.

I really liked the biscuits too. Mine didn't rehydrate 100% and the centers were a bit crunchy. However, every biscuit I've ever eaten had a bit of crunch to them so I didn't mind the added realism, haha.

Thanks again Tac!

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:16 pm

My thought is to add an mre sausage patty. Call it a complete meal!
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Keith B wrote:My thought is to add an mre sausage patty. Call it a complete meal!
Hadn't thought of that. That would be even more better. Thanks!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”