The Blackthorn Bottle - New Product

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

The Blackthorn Bottle - New Product

Post by Regulator » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:47 am

Everyone knows the importance of water and many of us have multiple ways to carry it. Stainless steel bottles have enjoyed much popularity over the years and there are many good bottles available. The Nalgene Standard is a great bottle but they were unavailable for a long time and even now they are often quite pricey. Most other brands have some kind feature, or lack of, that limits their usefulness.
Since we were unable to find a stainless steel bottle that met our needs we decided to design one with the features we wanted in a bottle. After 8 months of design, production and shipping,

I’d like to introduce to you the Blackthorn Bottle.

The Blackthorn Bottle features:

Made of 18/8 Food Grade Stainless Steel with a brushed finish.

Un-lined and BPA free. Will not retain tastes or odors.

Single wall construction. May be placed directly in fire for cooking or water purification.

Wide mouth for ease of cleaning, adding ice cubes, eating out of, etc.

32 ounce capacity. Works with water treatment tablets.

3.5”x8.75” will fit in standard carriers such as Maxpedition and Condor.

Weighs only 7 ounces.

Removable polypropylene cap with insert to ensure a leak free seal.

Re-usable, durable and eco friendly.

Dishwasher safe

What makes our Blackthorn Bottles better than the others?

Our bottles are 32oz and work with water treatment tablets. This saves you the annoying and perhaps dangerous task of figuring out how many tablets to cut up and add to your 20oz, 40oz, etc bottles.

Our bottles have standard 63mm threads. Any Nalgene style lid or accessory will fit our bottles. No need to hunt for hard to find or expensive replacement lids.

Our bottles will nest with Olicamp, GSI and similar cups. You don’t need to purchase a special cup.

Our caps have an insert that fits into the bottle neck and prevents the silicone seal from rolling out and allowing the bottle leak.

No Allen wrench or other tool required to remove the cap.

As outdoorsmen and women ourselves, along with input from students of our school, we have designed what we believe to be the best stainless steel bottle available for serious outdoor use. Like all other stainless bottles, ours are made in China. They are however made to our specifications and allow us to price them competitively. We also offer a manufacturers defect warrantee. If you should find a defect in your Blackthorn Bottle simply return it for replacement.

We are genuinely interested in suggestions and feedback on our new bottles so please do comment on anything that comes to mind. Bottles may be found here or you can enter the Winter Bug Out contest and attempt to win one as we intend offer three as prizes.

woodsghost

Re: The Blackthorn Bottle - New Product

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:22 am

Those look great! Thanks for taking the time to create a quality product.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:09 am

Great stuff, Regulator!

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Hey thanks guys. We tried to make the bottle we wanted for our own use and incorporate features we couldn't find elsewhere. We had to buy a ton of these things to have them made our way though, lol. We're hoping other people will like them as well.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Our bottles have standard 63mm threads. Any Nalgene style lid or accessory will fit our bottles. No need to hunt for hard to find or expensive replacement lids.

Our bottles will nest with Olicamp, GSI and similar cups. You don’t need to purchase a special cup

Very nice.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Skuldugary
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead; the original and Ving Rhames. "Say something." haha classic! World War Z and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Skuldugary » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:59 pm

Looks really good. Nice work on the details!

Just checked your website. You left out the compass lid in your post. Very clever idea.

Is the collar that holds the lid to the bottle heat resistant or should it be removed if you're going to heat the bottle on a fire?
Author of The Grave Diggers series
Image Image

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Skuldugary wrote:Looks really good. Nice work on the details!

Just checked your website. You left out the compass lid in your post. Very clever idea.

Is the collar that holds the lid to the bottle heat resistant or should it be removed if you're going to heat the bottle on a fire?
Thanks. The compass lid isn't part of the Blackthorn Bottle although it does come standard on our plastic bottle. However, it is a neat lid and does fit regular Nalgene style threads. With that in mind, for a limited time, we are adding a compass lid to orders for our new stainless bottle. You get the original red stripped one as well. The compass lid is just a freebie for folks who want to try out the bottle.

The retention strap is made of plastic and more or less permanently attached to the lid. It comes off the bottle easily and you would want to take it off before using your bottle in a fire.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:26 am

I like it.
I've always wanted one just like that with one addition; a heat resistant way of holding the cap on that would allow me to hang the bottle over a fire istead of needing a metal platform to set it on or just setting the bottle next to the fire. Even two little spot wleded tabsor loops to allow me to just loop a section of wire through.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Can you completely separate the cap and that plastic retaining band from the bottle? If not then you can't use that bottle over a fire or camp stove to boil water.

Skuldugary
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead; the original and Ving Rhames. "Say something." haha classic! World War Z and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Skuldugary » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:Can you completely separate the cap and that plastic retaining band from the bottle? If not then you can't use that bottle over a fire or camp stove to boil water.
They said in an earlier post that you can remove the retaining band from the bottle, but you can't remove the band from the lid.
Image Image

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 pm

The compass lid is neat, but would it work on a stainless bottle? I would think that might screw with the compass.

Still neat though. I have a Pathfinder bottle and might get one of these as well :D

Edit: That knife only class sounds neat.

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Mikeyboy, This bottle was specifically designed for exactly that purpose by people who spend a lot of time in the woods . The lid and strap easily separate from the bottle. All the specs and a video review can be found here http://www.blackthorn-usa.com/Blackthorn_Bottle.php

Das Sheep, The Blackthorn Bottle does bear some similarities to other SS bottles on the market. The main difference is that this bottle has industry standard threads and is compatible with any accessories that fit a Nalgene style bottle. Water filters, replacement lids, etc. You also do not have to buy special cups or carriers for it.

Stainless Steel is non-magnetic and since the compass isn’t in the bottle it doesn’t seem to have any negative effects on its accuracy.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:05 pm

I saw a lid the other day, but I didn't look what threads it was for. Regardless, the lid contained a little hollow on top with its own little lid. Bout .5in x the lid diameter. Just big enough for about a 3 week supply of iodine tablets. It was sectioned off too like a medicine container so you could keep pills or whatever else separated. Looked pretty slick.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:25 pm

There may be others but the Pill Lid will fit 63mm threads so it should fit the Blackthorn Bottle too. Neat idea, particularly for folks who have to take medication regularly.

Skuldugary

Post by Skuldugary » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:13 pm

I just ordered one of your bottles. I'm excited to see it first hand.
Image Image

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Skuldugary wrote:I just ordered one of your bottles. I'm excited to see it first hand.
I saw you order come through, it shipped out this morning. I think you're gonna like it. Thanks!

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Will definitely be looking to get one of these down the road. Very nice!
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

zenshu
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them.

Post by zenshu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:41 am

Nice looking bottle. I will definitely be looking to order a couple to replace my old run down nalgenes in the coming weeks. Also love that you guys have slow matches, I never use mine because I bought it at a gun show in CO before I moved and the people I bought it from didn't have a website so I wasn't sure I would ever find refills for it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Fleet number: ZS0090
Comms:
FRS channel 12
GMRS Channel 20
CB Radio channel 12
MEGALINK repeater system

ImageKG5DXC

Skuldugary

Post by Skuldugary » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:31 am

Regulator wrote:
Skuldugary wrote:I just ordered one of your bottles. I'm excited to see it first hand.
I saw you order come through, it shipped out this morning. I think you're gonna like it. Thanks!
Thank you!
Image Image

GearSpec

Post by GearSpec » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:13 am

No offense but not sure how this is any better than the Guyot Stainless bottles, which have the same features, are tried and true and slightly cheaper

Skuldugary

Post by Skuldugary » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:23 am

GearSpec wrote:No offense but not sure how this is any better than the Guyot Stainless bottles, which have the same features, are tried and true and slightly cheaper
I think it's all personal choice, but frankly I wouldn't want to keep using an allen wrench to remove the retaining cord from the bottle. And if I lost that tool then I'm screwed, no pun intended.
Image Image

GearSpec

Post by GearSpec » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:40 am

Once initially loosening it, i've never had to tighten it or use it again, also you can use any other retaining system you want on there. Seen a lot of guys go to a stainless steel wire which is a great idea

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Simple, perfect size, rugged, well priced, and obviously designed by people that know what outdoorsy people want. That's a winner in my book.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:25 am

Zenshu, I’m not sure if our slow match refills will fit any other snuffers as these are the only ones I’ve ever seen in real life. In fact I didn’t know anyone else in the USA even sold them. We make ours and they have been very popular with the primitive/rendezvous crowd.

GearSpec, Good question. Guyot made a very good bottle around 2005ish and had such a hard time selling them they finally sold them out at cost. Then the BPA scare happened and everyone wanted metal bottles. So they got more, and somewhere around 2008 they co-branded with Nalgene. They had a lot of trouble keeping them in stock and some difficulty with lids that leaked. Eventually they disappeared from the market altogether maybe 2010 or so.

Prices steadily increased on the Standard bottle to as much as $80 on Amazon and many places were, and perhaps still are, showing pictures of the Standard and then sending out the Backpacker bottle with the tapered sides. The average price seems to be around $40 now on Amazon but it’s worth reading the reviews.

Guyot Designs no longer lists the bottles in their products and rumor has it that Nalgene bought them out on the bottles. I can’t confirm that. It does appear that there may be some Standard bottles back on the market now at a reasonable price but again, I can’t confirm that as I haven’t tried to order one.

When we decided to design our bottle the Standard bottle hadn’t been available for a couple years and everyone we talked to wanted a bottle like that. No doubt the Standard is a great bottle. We hope ours will earn a similar reputation as it becomes more well known.

As to what makes ours better, well I don’t know that it is. There are only a couple features that are different. As was mentioned ours requires no tools to remove the lid, not a huge deal. The main difference would be weight. The Standard is 12.9oz, ours is 7oz. Don’t be mislead though, our bottle is durable and the same thickness as most, if not all, other SS bottles out there. The Standard is just heavier gauge. For some that’s a benefit however that was the most common complaint we heard for the Standard. It’s heavy.

If I had to come up with a reason its better, I suppose I’d have to say it’s got a better logo. Oh, and sales help buy food for my 2 ½ year old daughter, little girl can eat…, lol. If weight isn’t a concern for you I think it’d be hard to go wrong with either bottle, they are both very nice. Hope that helps, cheers.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”