A Good Idea...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Josh Smith
Favorite Zombie Movies: I really liked [u]I Am Legend[/u].

A Good Idea...

Post by Josh Smith » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi Folks,

This is the Renovo Trio.

I used to drink reservoir water when I was a teenager, but I'm older and, I like to think, wiser, so I bought the Trio.

I chose it over the Lifestraw or Sawyer Mini (which is the one to beat) because the Trio filters down to 0.05 microns and removes heavy metals as well as cysts, bacteria, and some viruses.

The Sawyer Mini is rated at 0.1 micron and the Lifestraw, at 0.2 microns. Both are single stage units.

The Trio uses three stages: A 5 micron first stage (coffee filters only do 50 microns at best), a 0.05 micron second stage, and an activated charcoal third stage.

All three stages are replaceable.

The cost is only about $33. That's a bit more than the Sawyer Mini, but you do get 4x more filtration with the Trio.

I carry military canteens, both 1qt and 2qt, and the Trio is a backup to those. I do carry iodine capsules in the pockets of the canteen covers but iodine only works on a relatively few nasties. Chlorine tabs work about as well, and chlorine dioxide works slightly better. Still, it's not all that great.

If I ever have to use this thing for any length of time, say, camping with a questionable water supply, the water will be treated in three stages: First, filtered. Second, boiled. Third, iodized. I'm really contemplating replacing my iodine tablets with chlorine dioxide for a number of reasons.

This filter should work plenty well, but if I have the time, I might as well use all methods available.

Josh

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: A Good Idea...

Post by 74 or more » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 am

Just remember, if you've taken it out of the bag, they recommend replacing the carbon element every 12 months. Might be a good idea to put some tape around it and write the date you took it out.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:11 pm

74 or more wrote:Just remember, if you've taken it out of the bag, they recommend replacing the carbon element every 12 months. Might be a good idea to put some tape around it and write the date you took it out.
Yes, Sir! Took it out on September 1st, and I do most minor maintenance and care (dog gets heartworm meds, flea repellant, etc on the first, and some other things are done, as well.)

I don't think I'd forget September, but better safe than sorry. There's room under the cap for a little sticker! :D

Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,

Josh

smallthunder
Favorite Zombie Movies: The "NEW" Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by smallthunder » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Great find! :clap: I was just about to get the LifeStraw and saw this. Don't think I'm getting the LifeStaw now. :lol: Looks like a better all around filter.

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Like the idea

Is there any risk of water leakage between thw the outer body and the removable filter element? Can you screw on a dirty water bag and gravity feed it like the sawyer mini or is it strictly a straw?

GearSpec

Post by GearSpec » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Looks exactly like a Aquamira Frontier Pro, does it work the same way?

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:59 pm

I think it would be a better idea to put what the subject of this thread is all about so it would come up for those searching this type of info. Beyond that it looks like a nice filter straw.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:00 pm

This looks like it might be the same filter, but with different branding: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LA97I8M
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:01 pm

I also agree it would be helpful to edit the subject of the thread to express that this topic is about the Renovo water filter.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

HeldTheAncient

Post by HeldTheAncient » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:15 am

I'll definitely be looking into one of these. Previously I have been looking into both the lifestraw and the sawyer mini

Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi Folks,

I have some bad news nine months later.

The unit cracked:

The first time I attached the Renovo to a soda bottle, the micro-filtration filter body cracked. It was finger-tight only, and should not have done this. On the plus side, the filter did immediately shut down. While it sprayed water through the crack, it did not let me drink any, so that part worked.

Please keep in mind, folks, that the Renovo unit saw no actual field use, but rather was used to filter water under controlled conditions in my home. I did this prior to ordering a new unit for field use as I test everything I use during hikes and while fishing and hunting.

Upon contacting the company, I received no answer. Trying again, I did receive a response to the effect that the unit is warrantied and the company requested pictures. I received an email later telling me that the crack was normal wear the unit would not be warrantied.

I will be exploring other options as this sample is simply not tough enough for me. Sawyer and LifeStraw are both on my list as of now.

I would still prefer to find a straw with a charcoal filter for chemicals and taste, but the 0.05 microns isn't absolutely essential for my uses, so that expands the field some.

Regards,

Josh

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:14 pm

IMHO, depending on where I am, there are more viable and simpler options for water filtration and sanitizing. Then there is old school method if you are in the wilderness.

Basic concept seems OK.
Zombies don't ski.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”