my bob

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

the black smith

my bob

Post by the black smith » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:21 pm

sorry for the upsidedown picture.

woodsghost

Re: my bob

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:35 pm

I love the look of your rifle! That thing is really sweet.

So, are you interested in discussions of your BOB, or are you mostly showing us what you have?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Cephalotus

Post by Cephalotus » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:16 am

So you have some water, food and tools.

What about...

- first aid kit?
- water filter?
- warmth / shelter?
- information/communication?
- money/documents?
- CBRN protection?

(maybe it is already there, I can not recognice everything on your picture)

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:48 am

Looks like a great start!

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:45 am

Dunno about the environment in your area but consider swapping one of the knives for a folding saw.
Do you have spare clothing if you get wet?
Do you have shelter, firemaking, first aid?

You might have this covered and have a prepared bug out location that this bag will easily get you to where you're all geared to bunker down, I don't know. But it's a good start, maybe if you tell us what your planned bug out location/route/duration is and we can give you some tips?
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks for posting your BOB. Gotta mow the lawn but will check it out later. Based on a quick glance it looks heavy on the sharps but light on clothing.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

DeadCanadian

Post by DeadCanadian » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Based on a quick glance it looks heavy on the sharps but light on clothing.
Typical BOB.

You do not in any way need 5 fixed blade knives in a BOB. You need only 1 fixed blade, not 2, only 1; you may want to add a SAK or Multitool if you want a second knife. Your other tools may be a saw and light hatchet to build shelters and fires if it is a forest BOB rather than an urban BOB.

Why waste money on 5 knives and not buy even 1 quality canteen? I don't see a canteen, just flimsy paper thin plastic bottles.

You might be planning on wearing most of your clothes but at least carry a poncho or rain gear because you can die quick if you are cold and wet. We often dress for the weather when it is winter but no one wearsrain gear 24/7 (unless you wear a Gore-tex parka in the winter but what about the fall or spring?).
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a zombie that cares.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:53 pm

I second Woodlandghost.

Would you like opinions and/or suggestions about your gear, or is this a show and tell moment?

Curious about what you have inside containers which cannot be seen.

I spy with my little eye:
* 5 fixed blade knives
* a grey ... thing (maybe a sharpening stone cannot really tell)
* a tomahawk by sog (not sure what the reverse side of the head is because it's in a sheath)
* hand warmer type thing (not sure if that's hand, body, or foot)
* some rope of unknown length and type ... maybe
* a black thing above the water and between the hand warmers and glowing things
* glowing ... things. (not sure if sticks or necklaces or bracelets, or duration, or quantity)
* map of area
* a metal looking cup/pot which may or may not have a lid, and may or may not be double walled
* some amount of beef jerky
* a blue package of individual cans of something
* a visible can of spam of unknown size
* a red and green package above the spam with unknown contents
* one visible package of chicken ramen
* an unknown length of duct tape
* a zip lock bag with ... stuff at the bottom left of the image
* another zip lock back with ... stuff between the previous bag and the binoculars
* binoculars of unknown capability
* a black thing
* a black bag with a zipper on it
* a rifle with 9 extra rounds, a scope with unknown capability, maybe a sling and something mounted up front
* an overt tactical bag that shows you love america, hate zombies, and in the case of an emergency are very likely to have supplies that other people want.

Semperparatus1995

Post by Semperparatus1995 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:24 pm

I hate giving negative comments but your BOB needs work.

oxygen-3min
shelter-3hr
water-3days
food-3weeks

Assuming your breathing,Shelter/Warmth is your first concern:
screw space blankets
look up AMK Heat Sheets.They cost about the same but are reusable.
Also a Original Space Blanket(5x7' reflective poly tarp?) are 10 bucks and compact and are a lifesaver
a few contractor grade garbage bags are multi use(tarp,pup tent,sleeping pad,pack cover,rain/moisture collector)
A poncho liner or usgi patrol bag are cheap,light,compact and warm down into the 40's

Clothing:
keeping your body warm will help you travel farther per day and keep your health up and conserve calories,they also reduce how elaborate of a fire and shelter you need.
Clothing is regional and season specific but atleast have 2 pair of wool socks,a watch cap,gloves,long johns,and a jacket at a minimum. Even the desert gets cold at night.

Water:
have atleast one stainless water bottle in your kit,you can boil water in it and there more durable
Potable aqua and a Sawyer Mini
You now have 3 ways of treating water

Food:
If this is a 72hr bag you dont really need food,but tuna,jerky,nuts,energy bars,etc can be worth their weight in gold after a long day of hiking thru the woods. And will keep your mental energy and spirits up

Nav/comms
Maps and compass
Maybe gps
pace counter
rite in the rain notebook
noaa/fm/am radio(small)
Signal mirror and whistle

First aid:
You never know what will happen,but atleast some mole skin and pain relievers
bandaids and compression bandage
immodium incase of dirty water
prescription meds
sterile gloves,aintibiotic cream
snakebite kit(maybe)
tweezers
hand warmers

paracord and tarp clips
good boots
sturdy fixed blade
multi tool
edc folder
saw and axe(maybe)
lighter matches and ferro rod
flashlight and headlamp

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Fixed that upside-down thing for ya...
Just some thoughts that went through my head while looking at this...
  1. [1] What are the different black pouches in the top left and bottom center? If none of them is a first aid kit, where's the first aid kit?
    [2] Beef Jerky, Spam, Vienna Sausages, something I can't make out under the Spam, and Ramen...the first three can be eaten without any preparation, and Vienna Sausages make for some awesome fishing bait (especially for catfish), but what was your plan for cooking the Ramen? I don't see any kind of stove or pot...
    [3] Three bottles of water...which look to be rather flimsy 16.9 oz bottles, right? That works out to 50.7 oz of water, which is less than half a gallon...you won't get far with that. You also don't seem to have any way of filtering or purifying more water...meaning when you run out, that's it (unless you want to chance drinking contaminated water).
    [4] Glowsticks kind of suck when they're your only source of light...they're better for making you easier to see than making you able to see better.
    [5] Wrap duct tape around an old expired credit or gift card, saves a lot of space.
    [6] What's in the blue box in the ziploc bag? Matches? Plastic silverware? If it's not matches, do you have any means of building a fire?
    [7] Metal looking cylinder on the bottom left side...what is it? a cup?
    [8] Really light on clothing there, looks like an extra pair of socks, boxers, maybe a pair of gloves in a ziploc...really should add more, especially some raingear if nothing else
    [9] I'm guessing that's a standard road map for the state of Kansas? Any topographical info on it? If not, might be helpful to get a topo map to supplement, though just having a map is better than none at all.
    [10] Sharp stuff...I count 5 knives and a 'hawk. Drop 4 of those knives (especially the BG one). Drop the 'hawk, as they're generally not as efficient at wood processing as a proper hatchet or saw would be. Also, aren't the handles of SOG 'hawks hollow and therefore more prone to snapping when doing tasks like chopping wood? Replace with a Fiskar's, Laplander, or Sven folding saw or a good quality hatchet for wood processing.
    [11] Do you have any options for shelter in this kit?
It looks like you're starting to build this kit out, but you're getting stuck on the fun stuff like knives, guns, and tacticool bags/pouches instead of the stuff you'll actually use, like food/water, fire, clothing, and shelter. It's something we've all done from time to time.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:27 am

King Oscar sardines.
Bait or meal, add in for Ramen?

No saltines or any crackers?

Map but no compass.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:22 pm

My first attempt at a BOB wasn't any better, so don't feel bad about any of the previous comments

However, here's something for consideration: "Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?"

More and more I look to the backpacking world for ideas on what to bring and how to pack it. Because essentially a weekend backpacking trip is consistent with what people think about when bugging out. Get away from some sort of disaster and survive a few days with the contents of their pack.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

the black smith

Post by the black smith » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:36 pm

thank you for all the comments and criticism. I apologize i did not explain my BOB thoroughly. the two small black pouches. 1 is a first aid kit including all the bells and whistles up to a dust mask. the other is a half half including a basic hygiene kit. alongside an additional first aid kit solely dedicated to diabetes. my 5 year old is diabetic. unfortunately I realized I did not unpack the entire bag when I took the picture. the cup is aluminum for cooking in on the Go. it should include four steaks alongside a camouflage tarp. and the bag is four additional pair of socks and two shirts both long sleeve and short sleeve and pancho. inside both the bags are two boxes of 1000 matches that happened to be waterproof. I do have a compass inside the bag it was one of the things that got left out of the picture. the blue box is one soul box of extra ammunition for my rifle. now that I have addressed the things that I have missed I do have to agree with most of the knife comments I know I only need one singular fixed blade inside the bag and one foldable in my pocket.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi Blacksmith! What you have is a great start!

This may help: http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit

General:
* What is the intended purpose of your bag? What is the scenario you are trying to prepare for with it?
* How many people do you intend to be ready to bug out with? This may be yourself and the child you mention, or there may be spouses, or parents (or even the family dog).
* How many people is your kit supporting?
* Does your family have any other emergency bags like this? If so, what are their contents (in detail)? As of right now it sounds like this is the bag for you and your son, and in case of rain you have one poncho to split between the two of you, and he gets zero clothing, and zero things to help him with his morale (in most emergency situations having some things to keep your 5 year old happy and unafraid will come in handy before the bolt action scoped rifle and a bunch of ammo).

Specific:
* Do you have cash in your bag? Most emergency situations (flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires) involve grabbing things and a bag (if you're lucky) and leaving the house, not always getting a bag and going into the woods for a couple days. Cash is more likely to be used than an axe is what I'm getting at.
* Do you have a way to filter water? I see that you can boil it, which is great, but that requires a decent amount of time and resources.
* How many calories worth of food do you have in that kit? I'm curious about how much food you have per person.
* Is that tarp large enough to create a shelter for your family including simultaneously being a barrier from falling rain, and from the wet ground?
* Did you have any rope to help you with that tarp and stakes you brought? If so, what kind and how much of it do you have?
* You have food. You have a pot/cup that you can heat food up in. Do you have a utensil?
* Do you have things like sunscreen and deet?

Suggestions:
* You may want to try using the basic FEMA guide to help you refine some of the basics in your kit.
* You may want matches and a whole second type of way to start a fire rather than two boxes of matches (also, 2,000 matches may be overkill for a kit with about 2,500 calories of food in it). I say this because with some types of waterproof matches if the striker for the matches gets wet you may be unable to light the perfectly fine matches.
* With all of those blades (and it's great that you're willing to reduce that number), it looks like you intend to use them. If you're going to be using an axe or a knife for woodcraft you may find value in a pair of gloves (they will also double as a layer to help keep your hands warm).
* You can save some space by folding that roll of duct tape in half (or by packing things inside the hole in the roll. Or you can save space by bringing a smaller amount. Some people like to wrap it around an old dead credit card/ID/business card.
* A quick and dirty way to help with a shelter would be 3mm contractor trash bags. They're light, compact, durable and have lots of uses, including being useful for getting yourself off the wet ground. They can help with heat loss due to conduction, but you would need something else to prevent heat loss due to convection.
* You may want a little something more in the way of layers for warmth. You have a hand warmer or two, a couple of t-shirts, and four pairs of socks for at least yourself and your kid with only a single tarp in the way of additional protection from the elements. Think about how cold it gets at night during the next 6 months and prepare for that (also, revisit the clothing in your kit a couple times a year).
* Your food appears to be a little light on nutrition. For just a couple of days this doesn't really matter, but a multi vitamin or two may help (one pill per person per couple of days, assuming this is for you and your son and you're preparing for about 3 days - two pills would be plenty). This is not a critical suggestion.
* Everyone pretty much swears by the Sawyer water filters (I've used them as well, and I've retired my larger, heavier, more expensive MSR filter because of them), you may find that filtering your water is easier than boiling it and worth $30 and a few cubic inches of space in your bag. The bags for unclean water would also increase your water carrying capacity.
* 4 pairs of socks sounds like a lot (the rest of this kit seems to be focused on you, so I'm assuming this is 4 pairs of socks for yourself rather than them being various sizes to make sure everyone in the family has a secondary pair or whatever). I'm not sure what the intended purpose of your kit is yet, but based on how spartan a lot of the rest of your kit is, you may be able to shed some of those pairs (leaving you with the socks on your feet, and one or two back up pairs).
* You are bringing very minimal water carrying capacity (looks like about 51oz). The disposable water bottles hold up well enough for a couple of days, but you can supplement this by bringing an empty collapsible water bottle (or two) which can increase your capacity by another liter or two (platypus and vapur make varieties which weigh almost nothing empty and take up very little space). Since you're not bringing much water, and you only have boiling as a method of getting more water, you may want additional water carrying ability (you could use your zip lock bags in a pinch).
* While not absolutely critical (you can always do almost everything during daylight), you may want a light other than the glow sticks. A microlight is super lightweight, fairly durable, very inexpensive, and can provide emergency lighting for a couple hours a night for a couple days just fine. CR123 Lithium batteries are supposed to last 10 years, so putting a flashlight that uses these batteries in your bag means you wouldn't really need to worry about it more than once a decade (in terms of consumables going bad over time while not in use). There are pros and cons to that idea. If you have any questions about it, just ask!
* You may want a way to signal people (aside from the glow sticks if it happens to be dark). Having a camouflage tarp and backpack is great, but in most emergency situations people want to be found rather than remaining unseen. A whistle (for both you and your kid), a signal mirror, and some type of bright easy to see object(s) which ideally can both stand out from the environment, and flap/move can help (this can be as simple as a blaze orange bandanna, which would also have lots of other uses as well).

With how general the description for your hygiene kit and first aid kit are, I will assume they are 100% complete and perfect for your intended purpose (I'm assuming you would have gone into detail about them if you wanted feedback).

I don't have any kids (that I know of), I'm very curious about what supplies you would be bringing for your 5 year old.

the black smith

Post by the black smith » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:38 pm

the bag for the 5 yr old
2 bags of syringes. the emergency glucose shot (its a HUGE shot of basicly suger/carb solution.) glucose tablets. a carb counter book. two diffrent blood glucose meters. extra battries. and a AA solor power adapter. power bars. 2 packs of starburst. and even know i know a lot abot my sons illness i always have a small facts and solutions of diabetes book. the insulin will have to be grabbed out of the fridge but it will have 2 vials.

DeadCanadian

Post by DeadCanadian » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:45 am

Murph wrote:More and more I look to the backpacking world for ideas on what to bring and how to pack it. Because essentially a weekend backpacking trip is consistent with what people think about when bugging out.
I have come to this too as I looked at my BOB with all the small (many small things add up to heavy weight) to make shelter, etc., then I looked at my hiking pack which had full size shelter, full size sleeping gear, full size water gear, etc. The weight was about the same except the hiking pack was larger when full.

I just do not have the skill to live off the land for 6 months so I have to look at the reality of being out of home for about a week until I can arrange other housing. I am also a city dweller so my focus changed more to urban BOBs without al that fantasy INCH stuff.

In short, there is no one bag for everyone; you need to make it fit your area, your conditions, your family, and where you will be bugging out to.
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a zombie that cares.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:54 pm

the black smith wrote:the bag for the 5 yr old
2 bags of syringes. the emergency glucose shot (its a HUGE shot of basicly suger/carb solution.) glucose tablets. a carb counter book. two diffrent blood glucose meters. extra battries. and a AA solor power adapter. power bars. 2 packs of starburst. and even know i know a lot abot my sons illness i always have a small facts and solutions of diabetes book. the insulin will have to be grabbed out of the fridge but it will have 2 vials.
Knowing a bit about diabetes, I'm going to assume because of his age your son is type 1? Is he on a SS or long acting? How many test strips are you bringing? Chances are he's going to be scared and his FSBS is going to be all over the place, so pre and postprandial readings are probably needed which means double the normal number. I'm not sure if double meters is really needed, the one in the bag should be a back up for your sons normal meter, so really your current setup has 3 meters.
This explains all the protein, I would recommend swapping out the tuna with freeze dried.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:08 am

First of all, congrats on getting started on a BOB! Now all it needs is some fine tuning. :)

- As you said, you're going to drop some of the cutlery, may I suggest adding a firesteel? Wet, dry, windy, it doesn't care :)
- I see you have an aluminum cup for boiling/purifying water and cooking. Good. Personally I have a stainless steel bottle and a fish mouth spreader to get it out of the fire. If you go this route, make sure to get a bottle that when you remove the cap, there is no more plastic on it. Kleen Kanteen makes a nice bottle for this purpose. If you get a wide mouth, you can even eat your ramen from it. I also have a bandana so I can filter out some of the larger particles when filling the bottle.
- You might want to throw in a headlamp instead of the hand held flashlight. Keeps your hands free.
- You can exchange the can o' spam for individual spam slices. That way you don't have to eat an entire can or try to store what you don't eat.
- Add a P-51 can opener. Opening cans with a knife is a pain in the buttocks, and potentially dangerous. All your cans may be tab pulls, but some cans you add later may not be.
- For a BOB, no need for an expensive filter as other suggested, just add some water treatment drops ( http://www.amazon.com/Aquamira-Water-Tr ... B000OR111G ) they can purify up to 30 gallons which should be more than enough for a BOB. Plus you can boil water anyway. The treatment drops are nice if you have to use a bottle for contaminated water, the drops will purify the container too so later you can use it for clean water.

That's all I'll say for now. You got a BOB started and that's a good thing. Just keep reading around these forums and pick up new ideas.

Best of luck!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

the black smith

Post by the black smith » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:27 pm

manowar1313 wrote:
the black smith wrote:the bag for the 5 yr old
Knowing a bit about diabetes, I'm going to assume because of his age your son is type 1? Is he on a SS or long acting? How many test strips are you bringing? Chances are he's going to be scared and his FSBS is going to be all over the place, so pre and postprandial readings are probably needed which means double the normal number. I'm not sure if double meters is really needed, the one in the bag should be a back up for your sons normal meter, so really your current setup has 3 meters.
This explains all the protein, I would recommend swapping out the tuna with freeze dried.
he has the medtronics pump

Return to “Bug Out Gear”