2014-2015 ZR Winter MBO chat thread.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: 2014-2015 ZR Winter MBO chat thread.

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:46 pm

36 rainy sleet slush doesn't get any better. You people dont know what you are missing.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

FLMOPE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by FLMOPE » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Having worked outdoors many times in freezing rain I believe it is the nastiest weather period.

Even prepared for it and dressed well I hated every minute. I was never in real danger because I had shelter and warmth at hand.

Be careful out there. Hypothermia kills.
There is no and never will be a shortage of stupid.
There ain't no fixing stupid

tonydedo25

Post by tonydedo25 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and just learning about your MBO contest - what a great idea! I happen to have been trying to plan a winter camping trip myself, to test some of my winter gear (I've never winter camped before), so this may fit into my plans perfectly.

One question: how is this competition judged? Assuming one follows all the rules, how would one entry be considered better than another? What attributes are the judges looking for?

Thanks guys, looking forward to participating!

-TD

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:31 pm

tonydedo25 wrote:Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and just learning about your MBO contest - what a great idea! I happen to have been trying to plan a winter camping trip myself, to test some of my winter gear (I've never winter camped before), so this may fit into my plans perfectly.

One question: how is this competition judged? Assuming one follows all the rules, how would one entry be considered better than another? What attributes are the judges looking for?

Thanks guys, looking forward to participating!

-TD
Well as of right now I am the only judge but we hope for more. Check out the entry sticky for the rules. Doing your best and complying with those easy requirements is my advice. Honesty is valued above most things. I never reduce the rating of an entry because something didn't go as planed if the person is honest about it. Sometimes the entry gains extra credit if I can gleam the person learned from what worked and didn't.

tonydedo25

Post by tonydedo25 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
Well as of right now I am the only judge but we hope for more. Check out the entry sticky for the rules. Doing your best and complying with those easy requirements is my advice. Honesty is valued above most things. I never reduce the rating of an entry because something didn't go as planed if the person is honest about it. Sometimes the entry gains extra credit if I can gleam the person learned from what worked and didn't.
I did read the rules, and I looked at last year's official entry thread and last year's winner (very cool and creative). What I'm a little confused about is if this is a MBO contest, or a winter survival contest.

At least for me, a successful bugout is going to consist of me checking into a hotel outside the affected and watching classic movies on my laptop until the whole thing blows over. I'd have to fall quite far down my list of contingencies and f*ckups before I found myself building a fire or pitching a tent. While effective, that's not exactly something I'd think is competition worthy, and doesn't seem to conform in any way with prior year entries.

That said, there's a lot of merit to winter survival skills, especially if you're someone with an increased risk factor (like someone who does a lot of winter hiking, snowshoeing, etc.). I'd be happy to pitch a mock winter survival, but I'm not sure if that's really an honest "bug out."

Or am I just being a party pooper?

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:32 pm

tonydedo25 wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:
I did read the rules, and I looked at last year's official entry thread and last year's winner (very cool and creative). What I'm a little confused about is if this is a MBO contest, or a winter survival contest.

At least for me, a successful bugout is going to consist of me checking into a hotel outside the affected and watching classic movies on my laptop until the whole thing blows over. I'd have to fall quite far down my list of contingencies and f*ckups before I found myself building a fire or pitching a tent. While effective, that's not exactly something I'd think is competition worthy, and doesn't seem to conform in any way with prior year entries.

That said, there's a lot of merit to winter survival skills, especially if you're someone with an increased risk factor (like someone who does a lot of winter hiking, snowshoeing, etc.). I'd be happy to pitch a mock winter survival, but I'm not sure if that's really an honest "bug out."

Yup you're a party pooper. LOL!

Here is a video from an MBO entry that didn't involve much hiking.

There is no requirement for you to "building a fire or pitching a tent" though we do expect someone to be able to walk at least 1 hour to get that lap top to a hotel should their car break down. This is the Bug Out Gear section of ZS. We have other areas on the forums which dwell on different aspects of preparedness. Any more questions?
Last edited by Woods Walker on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:09 am

Woods Walker wrote:
tonydedo25 wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:

Points for being completely honest on his bug out plan, though!!! He can make a video displaying how to survive the diseases in the hotel hot tub and make a writeup on how not to get overcharged by using the mini bar. I like it!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:28 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:
tonydedo25 wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:

Points for being completely honest on his bug out plan, though!!! He can make a video displaying how to survive the diseases in the hotel hot tub and make a writeup on how not to get overcharged by using the mini bar. I like it!!!
:lol:

So long as he is physically able to comply with this requirement.
2: A journey of at least an hour without motor transport. Walk, bike, canoe, ride a llama - whatever. Infil / exfil by motor vehicle is OK. Exceptions are possible but that will be up to the judges.
As this is the Bug Out Gear sub forum in ZS we cover contingencies which aren't totally dependent on a motor vehicle. After all what could possibly go wrong with one of those or the roads for that matter. :roll: All goofing around aside if a contestant isn't physically able to comply with rule number two they can ask for a dispensation from the judges.

Edit.

Forgot to add that hotel bed bugs can be a bitch so would give extra hardship points to anyone taking that risk during a MBO.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Special MBO announcement.

Canadian Guy has joined the judging team which until the other day consisted of only myself. :oops:

His skills in winter are extraordinary. From last year.

His disorientation on surviving Negative 50. Priceless.

The rant on Birch bark is hard to beat as well. :lol:

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:30 pm

Yes, I have volunteered to be another Judge :)

I have only got out once this winter for a 2 night winter trek into the woods but tomorrow I'm headed out to the Adirondaks in NY State for a 5 day/4 night winter camping trip. Hopefully I can post a trip report afterwards.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:34 am

Not an entry, but my son, his best friend and I are getting ready for one. It's been cold here this winter, but we haven't had much snow until this week. We've hiked and crossed raging rivers :lol: but scheduling is a nightmare right now, so we're still trying to squeeze in a overnighter before the contest is over. (Not required for the contest, I know, but that's what they want!)

Both 11 years old, the boys are both very eager, and are working hard on their skills. We've put a good number of miles on foot this winter, so much so, that a couple of little sisters are clamouring to join us. ;) Foraging, fire and food have been our main focus so far, but shelter building is also on our agenda. We planned to construct something when we were out a couple of weeks ago time, but a dunking in the creek while collecting water forced us to pack-up early.

We got a dumping of snow this week, with more to come tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be back out there soon!

BTW - bacpacboy has changed his pack, and made some small adjustments from this Spring set-up, but this is basically what he's carrying, and his BFF has almost the same set-up:

My set-up is basically the same one I used last winter, with a few adjustments. (i.e. There's a bit of extra clothing in case bacpacboy goes for a polar bear swim again, and I wanted to be able to melt more snow, so this kit now includes my GSI kettle, which holds my alcohol stove and fuel.)

“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:10 pm

68 degrees in the first week of February? What the heck is happening around here? February is often times the coldest month of the year here. It got down to at least 10 degrees last year. At this rate, winter is not even going to happen!

It did snow once this winter last year in November and has been as low as 30 degrees a few times. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get one outing in some colder weather before the deadline. Just bought an cold weather underquilt for my Clark hammock and looking forward to using it in the bugout.

tonydedo25

Post by tonydedo25 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Urban mock bug out is in the works. Boston is under 72 inches of snow with 2 more feet coming in the next week. Roads are questionable, public transit is completely shut down. All we need is a power outage and a measles outbreak and I won't have to fake a MBO, I can just film the real thing...

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:17 pm

tonydedo25 wrote:Urban mock bug out is in the works.
Totally do a post on this. In the past, they've been very interesting and applicable to many prepping situations.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:13 pm

Per previous discussion the end date has been extended to the first day of Spring. March 20th. All entries must be posted by that date.

http://days.to/spring/2015

Keith B
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:48 am

Things like this make it really hard to do a proper winter mbo.
I have a bit of time on my hands next week. time to get creative!
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 am

There has been a lot of very good entries this year! :clap:
But I just want to ask why almost everybody are bugging out unarmed? In those harsh conditions it could be interesting to see how the firearms would hold up.
-Also I enjoy guns in general so I want to see more of them :lol:
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Krieger wrote:There has been a lot of very good entries this year! :clap:
But I just want to ask why almost everybody are bugging out unarmed? In those harsh conditions it could be interesting to see how the firearms would hold up.
I had a pistol in two of my NBO entries but didn't post about it. Next NBO entry (planning a few more) I will talk about it.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Keith B wrote:Image
Things like this make it really hard to do a proper winter mbo.
I have a bit of time on my hands next week. time to get creative!
WTF man. I feel bad for yea. Expecting more snow and record lows.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
I'd trade you right now, even the local ski resort is closed.

I had delusions of snow shoes, sleds, and snow caves for this MBO.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:18 pm

If I were to do a WMBO right now with the weather how it is here, you might see pics posted of me sunbathing!

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:50 pm

Very happy that the ending of the MBO was extended. Me and a friend will be in the woods from the 27th feb to the 1st of march.
We hope to be able to make a 50 cal ammo can stove before going out and hopefully it will be cold and with a lot of luck even snow. It has been a very hot winter so far, has been below freezing in some short periods and it was even cold a few days. But recently it has been above freezing so it's not what we want. Just above freezing and rain is good training but it really sucks.

We hope to spend at least one night without a tent, just using a tarp to make a shelter, so I am really hoping we can get that stove ready as a regular camp fire is a bit dangerous and every wake moment will be spent finding more fire wood. We want to spend some time shooting too, since we will be camping on private property and have permission to shoot as much as we like :D

Hoping to work a lot on fire making skills, trying out different ways to make shelter and making a comfortable and practical camp and testing gear in general. Looking forward to the trip!
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:29 pm

Keith B wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:
I'd trade you right now, even the local ski resort is closed.

I had delusions of snow shoes, sleds, and snow caves for this MBO.

Going to get -8 F tonight with wind chill so cold no one even wants to talk about it. :lol:

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:31 pm

Krieger wrote:There has been a lot of very good entries this year! :clap:
I heard your cry.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”