2014-2015 ZR Winter MBO chat thread.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Re: We are having a Winter MBO Contest!

Post by Keith B » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:31 pm

We used to do themed contests, but it was found to limit entries.

Each contest was themed, get home, bushcraft, over night, etc. while it was neat to have to meet the constraints, I'd rather have 50 qualified entries instead of 15.

Which reminds me, time to start thinking of what prizes I will kick into the kitty.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:03 am

We just got some new goodies cleared through customs and will put up three for the top three entries. Theres another thread here with details on the bottles themselves. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=113909

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:31 am

That's a great prize, Regulator! Thanks.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 am

Thanks to all donating prizes. I feel this MBO is going to be something special.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:59 pm

I'm tossing around the idea of donating tiered prizes.
Donating the first item with 15 entries, a better item at 30, and something even better at 45 valid entries.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Johnnie_T

Post by Johnnie_T » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm looking forward to this and will get to play this time! I will also be on the lookout for a cool prize to kick in the pot.

-Darkhorse-

Post by -Darkhorse- » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Last years MBO was the goal I set for myself when I returned from overseas and it kept me going strong. I'm really looking forward to this years MBO, maybe even more so than last year as it was just that much fun, and I learned so much.

procyon

Post by procyon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:38 pm

Very cool.
I told the youngest kids we would do this in addition to their Boy Scout Christmas Campout.
Now if I can just convince the wife to come along...
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:08 am

Bump for cooler weather. We have some rules and prizes but still gotta lock down the rules and sniff out some judges.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:26 am

So, I want to add some Cargo Hanger pouches to the pot. Where I gotta send 'em?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:52 am

dunamis wrote:So, I want to add some Cargo Hanger pouches to the pot. Where I gotta send 'em?
The mods PM the people giving the gifts the address and you ship to the winner
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:50 pm

I'm going to do an Urban themed entry this year, as I did in the past.

You might remember I built a cardboard box ('fridge) shelter, which worked well enough to keep me warm with just a base layer and a single wool blanket. It was based on this:

The shelter had some serious inside room problems, turning over or sleeping on my side was a real effort.

This year I've pre-positioned a shelter - based on this idea:

At 4 foot wide/6 feet long and using standard 10 foot white (cheap) PVC pipe, I measure 5 feet of interior headroom. Full sitting headroom for me is just over 3 feet, so while this will make a lot of interior room to head, it should feel a lot more :roomy: than the cardboard shelter, a big deal if someone needs to spend more than a night or two inside.

Using some rebar pegs, I made the pipe into hoops as seen in the model, on mine the pipe touches the ground as does the tarp.
Once everything freezes solid, I'll go back and add a commercial 'space' blanket, cardboard over that for some insulation & stiffing against snow load and then a tarp to cover everything to keep it dry.

I''ll camp one night in the back of das auto to simulate getting stuck for some time / staying at work overnight before pressing out in the daylight , then continue on to the BOL.

The sole heating device will be a UCO candle lantern. I'll be cooking with a knock off of a Stormkok.

Be interesting how an alky stove system will work in sub-zero weather. No fool, I'll carry my Svea as a back up cooking burner. Yes, this will be 'car camping' in the truest sense of the word, and given the realities of what might/could happen in real life, probably more likely to happen.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm in for sure this year! And as long as I can have my trip before christmas I will actually be able to combine it with hunting so there will be guns, campfire, equipment testing and generally a good time. Just hoping for a lot of snow and low enough temperatures that the snow stays dry. :clap: These winter contests are the highlights of the year on this forum for me, I love to read all the great entries with all the nice pictures! And it's also the time of year when I actually write something, that part should probably change seeing as I have been a member for a while :oops:
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:20 pm

We any closer to nailing down the contest dates yet?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:46 pm

I"ll be back in Northern Iowa in mid-December. I can bug out with full battle rattle. Which is not much of a rattle, but it would be cool. If the dates don't include the second half of December, I"ll just have to do it anyway and call it a trip report!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Drunkengunner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Drunkengunner » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:48 pm

I am so down for it this year!!! Once hunting season is over in the woods on base, then I'll be hitting it. Good times, hope it's cold.
Amanda (my wife): "Gunner do you know what zombies are?"
Gunner (my 4 year old): "Bad guys."
Me: "And what do we do when we see zombies?"
Gunner: "Kill them?"
Me: "That's right, we kill them...again."

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Winter Solstice/first day of Winter is December 21st. I'll be bugging out in Puerto Rico at that time, but will be back shortly thereafter and hope to make an entry for this contest.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Boondock wrote:We any closer to nailing down the contest dates yet?
May I suggest - 21 Nov as a start date?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm moving... So do moving pictures count?? What if we tactically load it into the moving truck? MATTRESS LOADING UNDER SIMULATED FIRE!!! PEW PEW
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:52 pm

Jeriah wrote:Winter Solstice/first day of Winter is December 21st. I'll be bugging out in Puerto Rico at that time, but will be back shortly thereafter and hope to make an entry for this contest.
December 21st sounds like a good start date.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:09 am

dunamis wrote:So, I want to add some Cargo Hanger pouches to the pot. Where I gotta send 'em?
Thanks for supporting the MBO. :D

When the time comes we will make an official contest entry thread. Prizes are posted there for the consideration of potential contestants and viewership of the community. Any posted manufacture's prize often includes (unless requested otherwise) their contact information such as website, emails etc etc etc for all to see. Pics of the prize along with the contact info tends to garner greater attention however isn't necessary. Prize donated by the members are also showcased with the handle of generous person unless they wish to remain anonymous.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:14 am

Woods Walker wrote:
Thanks for supporting the MBO. :D

When the time comes we will make an official contest entry thread. Prizes are posted there for the consideration of potential contestants and viewership of the community. Any posted manufacture's prize often includes (unless requested otherwise) their contact information such as website, emails etc etc etc for all to see. Pics of the prize along with the contact info tends to garner greater attention however isn't necessary. Prize donated by the members are also showcased with the handle of generous person unless they wish to remain anonymous.
Thanks, Woods. Looking forward to this event! Hopefully, I'll have entry myself for it....

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:24 pm

December 21st is a bit late, I really hope it starts earlier because desember :clap: 22 is the last day of almost any kind of hunting in Norway and it would be very cool to be able to combine hunting and this contest :D But if the date is set to the 21st I guess I will eat crows so that could be interesting, they are supposed to be quite tasty I hear. Looking forward to this in any case!
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flying Lead 2

Post by Flying Lead 2 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Krieger wrote:I'm in for sure this year! And as long as I can have my trip before christmas I will actually be able to combine it with hunting so there will be guns, campfire, equipment testing and generally a good time. Just hoping for a lot of snow and low enough temperatures that the snow stays dry. :clap: These winter contests are the highlights of the year on this forum for me, I love to read all the great entries with all the nice pictures! And it's also the time of year when I actually write something, that part should probably change seeing as I have been a member for a while :oops:
I love to see some of the places from other countries. Thanks to those who post outings from different landscapes.

There were some young folks from Utah we took hiking here in northwest Alabama. I ask one if he had ever seen this many trees in one spot. He said "I've never seen this many trees in my life." He was 18 years old!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”