EDC finding the perfect setup

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

EDC finding the perfect setup

Post by corrsk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:37 pm

After much trial and error I may have finally found my perfect EDC setup. Its designed to work with my 24 hour bag mentioned in a previous post.

Glock 19 in M-tac Holster
extra glock 19 mag
streamlight protac 1AA
Leatherman Skeletool
Benchmade Mini-Griptillian with sheepsfoot blade
Suunto Vector watch

I have spent a lot of time revising my EDC over the years and have found that for the time being this works best for me and compliments my 24 hour bag very well. Any suggestions or thoughts?
The only issue I have that isnt too big of a problem is battery life of the watch and flashlight. The streamlight protac 1AA is only rated at about 2 hours of battery life and the suunto vector at about a year. I keep extra AA batteries in my bag and I am considering keeping a spare watch battery in my bag as well. I have also been contemplating changing out the Glock 19 to a Glock 42 which is their single stack .380 model. I would much rather wait for glock too come out with their single stack 9mm. Changing out to a single stack glock would cut back on weight and bulk considerably. I am just not sold on 380.

Murph

Re: EDC finding the perfect setup

Post by Murph » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:01 pm

How and where do you carry each item?
What about other stuff like: keys, wallet, cell phone?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Knife goes in right side angled pocket in jeans, leatherman goes in the smaller pocket ok right side near the "hand pocket, wallet right rear, flashlight and phone on belt on left side hip, keys in front right pocket and extra mag in left pocket, glock iwb at 4 o'clock

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Seems like a pretty balanced EDC. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery life of your watch, then again mine is solar powered so I've forgotten how annoying a dead watch can be. If your higher levels of gear don't have a time-telling device, consider getting a solar powered watch for your BOB or INCH, otherwise a year battery fine.. change it on your birthday or something and you'll never forget when it's due.

I was gonna say throw a mini-bic in your pocket, just don't forget it's there but then I went and looked at the 24hr bag you mentioned and you've got fire all covered.

Nice kit in your other post, EDIT: The following is irrelevant, when looking at your 24hr bag, I forgot about your skeletool(for me a multitool is an EDC item not a GHB item but everyone's needs are different. And if I've judged yours correctly, you're all squared away mate.)
Last edited by aus.templar on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:06 am

I've always been a huge advocate of multitools. Hence one on me and another in the bag. I have made a couple modifications to the bag for organization but the contents are the same. I keep wanting to add more but I have to remind myself that's it a 24 hour bag with a max of 36 at most. I'll soon be posting the main bob 72 hour bag. I don't really have an inch bag. I'd be grabbing 4 totes with my additional gear and loading up the vehicle. However that would be a last resort. I'd hate to leave my well water. It has a grid powered pump, battery as an alternate and if need be it has a hand pump as well. Seeing as water is beyond critical if buggin in. The best part I don't have to have a sophisticated treatment system. The only thing I really want to look into is a woodburnin stove and a small solar setup.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:18 am

Editted my post, I didn't sleep much last night.

I live in the suburbs, no well for me... :(
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 am

No problem. I figure my bag should have redundancies just in case I forgo something at home.

Catshooter

Post by Catshooter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:18 pm

That you carry puts above 90% of the rest.

Carry the gun you want. However, I will tell you, if you pay attention to the stories of gun fights you'll rarely find a gunfighter who wants a smaller gun, or one with less capacity. Very few people who have actually pulled the trigger carry a 380 as primary.

As a backup, sure you bet. The G19 is a serious fighting pistol. Less is just that.

Just a thought for you.

Cat

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 am

Must be nice, but I wonder why folk have to carry a gun for EDC?

Do you have to shoot sumtin every day? LEO?

My work place doesn't allow weapons on site.

If I'm off work and in field, yep I'm carrying.

But, I don't live in big city either.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:23 pm

you should expect no less from me corrsk :awesome:
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:40 pm

Added the wallet and iphone

The skeletool sometimes travels in my edc bag instead of on me but my bag is never far away.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”