need an inch bag for under 150

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

need an inch bag for under 150

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 am

I need to find an INCH bag that is under 150. Is this even possible?
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Re: need an inch bag for under 150

Post by Apathy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:55 am

Only a few left at this price

http://www.amazon.com/USMC-MARPAT-Strap ... +backpacks

This has been a good hiking bag.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Serie ... HNRPZMXG3A

I like preparing an INCH system, rather than an INCH bag. The bag part in my INCH system is simply my BOB. Everything else goes in the truck and will fit in a couple of folding carts. Storing supplies in preplanned evacuation routes as well contributes to the INCH system.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:51 am

ILBE

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:42 am

A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:I need to find an INCH bag that is under 150. Is this even possible?
There are many good used packs out there for under $25 I have an Eiger I paid $5 and several Keltys that weren't much more. All were just about new, my Kelty Redwing still had the hang tags. I think lots of people buy or get them given to them thinking they are going to get into hiking but never do then they get sold. I see lots with baggage tickets so I guess if they do get used more likely just for travel bags.
Very common to find them at flea markets, auctions and I have found good packs in thrift shops too. Imagine lots at yard sales too but I don't go to lots of yard sales
Lots of good US military surplus bags for cheap out there too

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 am

I think the ILBE is an excellent choice.

I have one, as well as a LOT of other bags, and I rather like the ILBE. For me, once its adjusted, its very easy to wear and has plenty of room for my sleep system, cook system, food, etc.

I think mine was $35 bucks on e-bay, though shipping was almost as much.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 am

Richter

Post by Richter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:13 am

I had the Condor 3 day assault pack in OD (i wished i had purchased the Coyote brown) before it got stolen. I only used it a handful of times including a couple camping trips and it was awesome for me, although it may be a tad small for an INCH bag. It's fairly cheap and it seemed to be to be of high quality. I own a bunch of Condor stuff including vests and pouches and I've never had a problem. Obviously, it's Condor so it won't be as higher quality as most of the stuff other ZS'ers have been posting in the thread but for the price I thought it was a good option.

my .02

Gunwriter
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Ash in it....

Post by Gunwriter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:10 pm

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:26 pm

ILBE is your best any-day-of-the-week deal right now, you can buy better packs for similar money but you'd have to hunt around. eBay always has deals.

do you have an REI nearby? go there and try on EVERYTHING. Just buying a pack off the internet won't generally get the best results, you need to try on packs because different body types fit different brands better then others.

and REIs usually have have used gear sales, just about any top-shelf civilian backpack can be had within you budget. Osprey, Gregory, Arcteryx, REI, Kelty, I've bought them all for under $100 at REI sales. Most were under $50.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:36 pm

A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:I need to find an INCH bag that is under 150. Is this even possible?
Like are you looking for a bag or trying to get a kit with everything in it?
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:52 pm

How many liters do you need? (Assuming you have your kit picked out.) ILBE would be my suggestion. But if you can live with say 65 liters. You might find an Osprey Z65 from last year on sale. I have not priced those out. But $150 is not unreasonable for a last years pack on sale. You certainly can afford to pick up a nice ILBE though. But if weights a concern and you want to go commercial. Look for those packs in your size range from last year. They'll be on sale about now. Check Google Shopping and ebay. Check out Kelty too. They make the big Red Cloud. Which I think might be on sale now IIRC.

As for those guys that bought an Arteryx Khyber 80 at a yard sale for $5. That doesn't really help much. Those deals come along once in a lifetime. Your not gonna find that this week. So it's not very helpful IMHO.

So how much stuff do you have? Any way to fit it into something of known size? Say an old pack or two loads in a smaller pack you have and know the size of? Just to figure out how many liters you need. You'll get more specific suggestions with that information.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:05 pm

I looked at most of the prep things we have and we split it between here and our BOL. We just need to be able to get our main essentials and have them prepacked and ready to go. The pack I have now gets filled up with very little in it and that is just essentials like some of our food and medical supplies. I have a 5.11 rush 24 pack I keep all the rifle gear in and my wife has made that her tiny bag while I need a new main bag for clothes and all that.

If it is dividable to know where what is what it would be great too!

coyote colored if possible.
crypto wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
FTFY
FTFY.

none1

Post by none1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:41 pm

ILBE for INCH. Depends on your packing style, but, even this could be tad small for INCH. I'll second the earlier post, that commercial packs are much lighter. IMO, for me, INCH means much more likely the world has shut down and I won't be able to buy another pack cause the interwebs is gone. :) So the extra beefiness of the military surplus could be good. Alteryx suspension. 4500 CUI

Other option would be to search around for a um21 gregory spear mil surplus pack, it is much bigger than the ILBE ... and even way heavier. 7000 CUI

sizes and weights here:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=66930

GL
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:59 am

A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:I looked at most of the prep things we have and we split it between here and our BOL. We just need to be able to get our main essentials and have them prepacked and ready to go. The pack I have now gets filled up with very little in it and that is just essentials like some of our food and medical supplies. I have a 5.11 rush 24 pack I keep all the rifle gear in and my wife has made that her tiny bag while I need a new main bag for clothes and all that.

If it is dividable to know where what is what it would be great too!

coyote colored if possible.
The ILBE has a lot of coyote straps. But the main fabric is MARPAT camo. But just look up ILBE pack on the google there. You'll see it right off. lol! ;)

The ILBE also has an assault pack that attaches to it. WHich might provide you with some modularity. Costs extra. But for $150 I'd think you could get the pack and the assault pack easily. Especially if you don't mind used but in serviceable condition. Look at Allegheny Surplus they have several levels of quality in that pack. But check ebay too. Anything bigger than the ILBE your gonna be spending a lot more I'm afraid.

Here's the main pack:

Her'es the assault pack:

Here they are attched:

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:22 pm

As others have said ILBE or a large Alice are your best bets. Personally I would suggest the ILBE, but some folks do prefer the Alice pack.

*edit to add, there is a great thread on mods to help drop weight on the ILBE and clean up the look and function of the pack.
ILBE mods: Cutting the Fat *NOW with ghetto pack frame* http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 4&t=102898
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 pm

I would definitely look for a Gregory UM-21 if I were you. I bought the main bag for my little bro as a birthday gift and it's actually only about 7 lbs after removing the seat pad/load panel and the radio pouch (which is heavy material and padding) and also with no pockets attached. I paid about $150 for it on an eBay deal. The reason I suggest this pack over the ILBE is that the shoulder lift is great on the frame! If you're under 5' 10" you might be just as well off with the ILBE, but taller guys are really going to want something with a frame that matches their build. It's also quite a bit bigger than the ILBE. I think right around 6500 or more if you count how far the storm collar extends.

In fact, it was so ridiculously large that I did a mod to the collar to make it more reasonable a size. The lid doesn't detach but it does now after I did some work on it and it also becomes a backpack or satchel without adding extra straps. (I wish I could find what exact type of foam was used in those seat pads and radio pouch! All the stuff I've been able to get a hold of is not comparable for stiffness).

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:22 am

I would definitely consider what you consider INCH. For me, it's a truckload. I mean, it's INCH. I have several boxes, and because of organizing, I can't grab just one and be happy. I can grab my BOB and be satisfied for a few days, but INCH is my ability to readily start again somewhere else. I don't believe an INCH anything can be kept in a bag.

You have to think in certain prepping terms. A hitch-hiker can live out of a 3-day packs for months. INCH means that's everything you own that is necessary to start a new life. It's an actual end-of-times kit. Mine includes a hardened SD card reader loaded with all important .gov records of me and my family. My normal camping gear is designed to last for years. Tools, seeds, hard books, charging systems, and soft books are all included. I also have a hand drawn trailer that can hold bare essentials. I can build a cabin (not easily) and live happily ever after with my INCH kit. INCH is less food and water and more living without infrastructure.

In contrast is my BOB. Med kit, food and water, a couple changes of under garments, and other "survival" gear. I have made do with less for short periods, but it's not something to live off of. BOB is designed for short survival, and that is a whole pack all it's own. Something until you reach better. INCH is the best you're going to have.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:44 am

" As for those guys that bought an Arteryx Khyber 80 at a yard sale for $5. That doesn't really help much. Those deals come along once in a lifetime. Your not gonna find that this week. So it's not very helpful IMHO....[/quote]

I have to disagree with that, just this morning I went to the flea market and could of bought a real nice Kelty Redwing and an older but still in excellent condition MountainSmith for $15 and $10. Both looked like they hardly got used and I think are quality packs. In my experience not at all unusual and I see deals like this all the time.
Last week at my weekly auction I go to they had two US military ILBE packs in camo that were in excellent condition, I thought about buying them but didn't and watched the guy get them both for $20 the pair. Had some stuff in the one to, I think canteens
Like I said there are LOTS of good packs out there and you can easly get them for cheap

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 pm

I found a good bag on here actually, it's a grey ghost gear full size. it's a pack similar to TT extended pack.
crypto wrote:
FTFY
FTFY.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:01 am

You can probably find a lightly used Kelty Red Cloud 110L pack out there within that budget...brand new they run around 230ish, or a 90L version that runs about 175ish new. They're pretty rugged, and they do come in coyote as well as a kind of drab green.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:48 am

Wraith6761 wrote:You can probably find a lightly used Kelty Red Cloud 110L pack out there within that budget...brand new they run around 230ish, or a 90L version that runs about 175ish new. They're pretty rugged, and they do come in coyote as well as a kind of drab green.
Kelty has a killer sale about once a year too.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:48 pm

I will add my vote for the ILBE. A while back I picked one up on ebay really cheap. I haven't done much testing with it, but so far I am really pleased with it. The only complaint I have is that it's in MARPAT. You should look around for a cheap ILBE and give that a try. It's a pretty good sized pack with plenty of PALS webbing. So you should have enough room for INCH stuff.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Return to “Bug Out Gear”