Wonder Axe?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Wonder Axe?

Post by moab » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Says this axe is a huge step up in technology from the traditional axe. Video is pretty convincing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-leve ... -ax-2014-4
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ssgcmw

Re: Wonder Axe?

Post by ssgcmw » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:07 pm

I love using science to make our lives easier! However, it's expensive science! $270 when you include shipping to US/Canada!

I would love to see a domestic company license the rights to produce it in North America and perhaps bring down the cost.

colorsafe

Post by colorsafe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:31 am

The guy in the demo using a tire to keep the split wood from scattering... sweet idea!

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 am

Aaahhhh, okay How much does that bad boy weigh? May be efficient, but looks like the weight of the head could be a real butt kicker.

Cool tech tho.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun May 11, 2014 9:51 am

I've seen it elsewhere.
Its a maul not an axe as its just for splitting firewood....... That said, it seems to be a very good maul
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun May 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Something to note is this axe is just mechanically doing what your supposed to do if using proper axe splitting technique.

See in this video Ray Mears describe how to properly turn your axe to do the same thing this high tech axe does around 3:30 mark.

I have been using this technique with axes splitting wood for many years, way before ever hearing of Ray Mears. For me and likely many axe users this is just a natural way to use an axe when splitting wood. But you don't need a special axe like the product linked. Just a regular axe. Which means that axe is still useful for many other tasks besides splitting.

To me these new axes are using tech to solve bad technique rather than some big new innovation that makes splitting easier it is for people who don't know how to use an axe properly.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun May 11, 2014 12:22 pm

colorsafe wrote:The guy in the demo using a tire to keep the split wood from scattering... sweet idea!
Yes the tire idea is an old one and it works great. You can also wrap rope or other binding around a group of logs to get similar results.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun May 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Here is another fun video of proper axe technique. This girl is crazy!

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sun May 11, 2014 4:09 pm

woodsghost wrote:Here is another fun video of proper axe technique. This girl is crazy!
Yep a good example of her not chopping through the entire piece of wood but twisting at the beginning to pop the wood apart. She is confident enough to be doing it bare foot and even placing wood on rocks. I don't think I would ever do that, but shows how confident she is.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Sun May 11, 2014 5:52 pm

woodsghost wrote:Here is another fun video of proper axe technique. This girl is crazy!

I'm in love...
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun May 11, 2014 6:36 pm

yeah, I'd hate to try and cut down a tree with that. It's a maul.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Exploriment

Post by Exploriment » Sun May 11, 2014 10:55 pm

I’d like to see how it does with gnarly, knotted hard wood and not just poplar.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon May 12, 2014 12:56 am

itzybitzyspyder wrote:
I'm in love...
there is some joke about keeping warm at night in there but I'm going to let it go...
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”