Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
therianthrope
* *
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:08 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead
Location: A Mile High

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by therianthrope » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm

I thought the machete was unnecessary, but you're looking to add an axe too? Those are two bulky, heavy sharps that don't really add on any essential functionality over a good fixed-blade.

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by Dragon80 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:09 pm

therianthrope wrote:I thought the machete was unnecessary, but you're looking to add an axe too? Those are two bulky, heavy sharps that don't really add on any essential functionality over a good fixed-blade.
Either of the two would be used in different situations, not necessarily at the same time. There are plenty of things an axe can do that the other two can't. In some areas I've backpacked, there was no dead wood laying on the ground requiring either a saw or an axe. A saw is good for sawing but not cutting or splitting.

On your point about sharps not adding any essential functionality over a good fixed blade. Chopping with the fixed blade I have is VERY difficult, hence the machete. Trying to fell a small tree or split larger wood than it's capable of batoning, etc,. Those in my opinion are very essential functions that a fixed blade knife I own is not capable of. I'm not going to buy a knife with the intention of replacing a saw, nor would I try to do that to replace an axe.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by Dragon80 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Oh and I just finally got around to weighing the Karrimor packed as it is in this thread. 37.5lbs without water. So 2.2lbs for every liter of water I add, so with 3 liters I'm at 26% of body weight.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

User avatar
therianthrope
* *
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:08 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead
Location: A Mile High

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by therianthrope » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Dragon80 wrote:Either of the two would be used in different situations, not necessarily at the same time. There are plenty of things an axe can do that the other two can't. In some areas I've backpacked, there was no dead wood laying on the ground requiring either a saw or an axe. A saw is good for sawing but not cutting or splitting.

On your point about sharps not adding any essential functionality over a good fixed blade. Chopping with the fixed blade I have is VERY difficult, hence the machete. Trying to fell a small tree or split larger wood than it's capable of batoning, etc,. Those in my opinion are very essential functions that a fixed blade knife I own is not capable of. I'm not going to buy a knife with the intention of replacing a saw, nor would I try to do that to replace an axe.
I wasn't saying they don't provide any functionality over a fixed-blade, of course they do, just that the greater functionality they do provide (hacking and chopping?) I wouldn't consider essential (i.e. worth the bulk and weight) on a BO/GH. An INCH? Sure. Just something I'd weigh carefully in a cost/benefit analysis of my load is all, and of course you know your needs better than I.

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by Dragon80 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:28 pm

therianthrope wrote:
Dragon80 wrote:Either of the two would be used in different situations, not necessarily at the same time. There are plenty of things an axe can do that the other two can't. In some areas I've backpacked, there was no dead wood laying on the ground requiring either a saw or an axe. A saw is good for sawing but not cutting or splitting.

On your point about sharps not adding any essential functionality over a good fixed blade. Chopping with the fixed blade I have is VERY difficult, hence the machete. Trying to fell a small tree or split larger wood than it's capable of batoning, etc,. Those in my opinion are very essential functions that a fixed blade knife I own is not capable of. I'm not going to buy a knife with the intention of replacing a saw, nor would I try to do that to replace an axe.
I wasn't saying they don't provide any functionality over a fixed-blade, of course they do, just that the greater functionality they do provide (hacking and chopping?) I wouldn't consider essential (i.e. worth the bulk and weight) on a BO/GH. An INCH? Sure. Just something I'd weigh carefully in a cost/benefit analysis of my load is all, and of course you know your needs better than I.
It's very difficult to exactly pin down what my big pack is. I call it my BOB/INCH because it would serve as both. I'm not a big tool or bushcrafting person but I do get tired of not having what I need when I'm on backpacking trips. Like my last weekend trip, I had a lot of standing dead stuff and I did have my saw with me but I had nothing capable of splitting the size of most of it so we ended up burning really long stuff the entire time and never really got a good fire without having to gather a ridiculous amount of small branches to keep it burning. Processing wood is something that's always been a low priority to me but the times I've been able to do it, everything just works so much easier/better.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

User avatar
NamelessStain
* * * * *
Posts: 2659
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Coastal SC

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:25 am

Dragon80 wrote:Oh and I just finally got around to weighing the Karrimor packed as it is in this thread. 37.5lbs without water. So 2.2lbs for every liter of water I add, so with 3 liters I'm at 26% of body weight.
Hey, as long as you are happy with the weight, then you are good to go.

Personally, my GHB weighs around 16# with 3 liters of water. Light, fast, GTF HOME!!

My INCH only weighs 45# (not counting ammo and only 2 liters of water). I don't have a BOB, my INCH is my BOB, lol.

Good luck and enjoy!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by Dragon80 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:53 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
Dragon80 wrote:Oh and I just finally got around to weighing the Karrimor packed as it is in this thread. 37.5lbs without water. So 2.2lbs for every liter of water I add, so with 3 liters I'm at 26% of body weight.
Hey, as long as you are happy with the weight, then you are good to go.

Personally, my GHB weighs around 16# with 3 liters of water. Light, fast, GTF HOME!!

My INCH only weighs 45# (not counting ammo and only 2 liters of water). I don't have a BOB, my INCH is my BOB, lol.

Good luck and enjoy!
Actually this pack has been replaced and my setup has completely changed. Look in my sig for the updated one. I'm a Kifaru junkie now, so I have far less money but far better packs. lol
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by Dragon80 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:34 pm

New GHB, Kifaru Xray!! Updates coming soon!

Image

This image is just a joke. I threw some pods, long pockets, and a claymore on it to see what it would be like. It looks cool, but at 5,772 cubic inches, it's bigger than my Timberline 2 and definitely possible when I get my G hooks in to raise the delta straps, however I'd never carry it like this unless I had no choice. So anyway, a complete overhaul of my GHB is on the way, hopefully today or tomorrow.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

zero11010
* * *
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by zero11010 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:34 pm

When you poop out details make sure you include things like:
* weight of bag (noting with or without water)
* intent
* direction for feedback (if any is desired)

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's BOB/GHB

Post by Dragon80 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:41 pm

GHB Updated, original post removed as none of it really pertained to this loadout anymore and the Bob is completely separate from it.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Robbie in ME
*
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am
Location: Maine

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by Robbie in ME » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:10 am

Nice update! What size pullout do you have your MREs in? A couple of questions on why you had a couple things. I was wondering why the cleaning kit I would think it unnessary,maybe a cleaning rod if you somehow got crap in your bbl? Lose ammo, why not another magazine? Thanks for taking the time and effort to update and post.

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Robbie in ME wrote:Nice update! What size pullout do you have your MREs in? A couple of questions on why you had a couple things. I was wondering why the cleaning kit I would think it unnessary,maybe a cleaning rod if you somehow got crap in your bbl? Lose ammo, why not another magazine? Thanks for taking the time and effort to update and post.
I believe it's a large, but not 100% certain. There's definitely more to clean than just the barrel, even on a pistol as reliable as a Glock. Actually, other than an impediment in the barrel, that's probably the least of my worries on a short trip like I plan for. It's the grim and grit that can get into the moving parts or create additional friction which could affect the reliability and that's what I'm prepared to deal with. I have a total of 4 magazines (2 x 15rd, 2 x 17rd) in this kit. Those loose 15 rounds are to top off a magazine if I have nothing but what's on my person. No problem, thanks for taking the time to check it out!
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

User avatar
corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:35 pm

I would cut back a little on batteries. One set in flashlight and 4 extra. Ditch the pistol cleaning kit. A small tube of frog lube and a few qtips will do fine (it's a Glock). Ditch the Luna stick and chemlight Check out lazerbrite. 140 hours of light and waterproof. That's my only input. Personally I love the lazerbrite. I have one in each bag and one in the car. CR2032 are lightweight and come in weather proof packs from lazerbrite.

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:45 pm

corrsk wrote:I would cut back a little on batteries. One set in flashlight and 4 extra. Ditch the pistol cleaning kit. A small tube of frog lube and a few qtips will do fine (it's a Glock). Ditch the Luna stick and chemlight Check out lazerbrite. 140 hours of light and waterproof. That's my only input. Personally I love the lazerbrite. I have one in each bag and one in the car. CR2032 are lightweight and come in weather proof packs from lazerbrite.
The batteries are needed for another item as well, but 8 may still be too many so this is a consideration. The Luna light is still earning its place, but it weighs next to nothing and actually works pretty well for $8. I will check into the Lazerbrite right now, thanks.

Cleaning kit gone? Not happening. In an area that can go from 90 degrees with 90+% humidity to freezing in a matter of a week, with a good portion of my planned routes being off-road, I just couldn't see myself doing that. I alternate between EWL Slip 2000 and Frog Lube for their different viscosity in different temps. I'm not sold on one lube type year round actually, each has their own merit.
Last edited by Dragon80 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

User avatar
corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm guessing you are in northern indiana

User avatar
corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm on the ohio Michigan border so I know how the weather can change.

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 pm

corrsk wrote:I'm guessing you are in northern indiana
Central, so no lake effect but we still get the extreme temperature flux due to the jet stream.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

User avatar
corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:58 pm

We are in a similar situation when comparing distance from work to home and similar climates. Your GHB is very similar to mine. Although I carry less food. Give the bridgeford mre sandwiches a try. They are delicious.

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:01 pm

corrsk wrote:We are in a similar situation when comparing distance from work to home and similar climates. Your GHB is very similar to mine. Although I carry less food. Give the bridgeford mre sandwiches a try. They are delicious.
Yeah, definitely similar weather. I'll have to check them out, they're probably lighter than MRE entree's! I'm looking at the Lazerbrite and at first it seems expensive, but it's pretty versatile overall so I might be picking one of those up as I already have plenty of those batteries here at home. Thanks again!
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

User avatar
corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm

You don't have to get the full kit. They sell just the tube with the light on each end.

User avatar
corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:08 pm

Figure a glow stick is a little over a $1 each. You will spend about $18-$20 for the same amount of light time in glow sticks. But the lazerbrite you can turn on and off at will. Slightly more tactical. If I recall the model with adjustable brightness lasts a ridiculously long time on low.

User avatar
corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:10 pm

I would stay away from the old models they are not as durable or user friendly. But if you have kids the old model for $15 is great for them as a toy. I got 2 for my son. He plays with them constantly.

User avatar
corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by corrsk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:12 pm

The downside of the sandwiches is the 3 year shelf life. But I eat them regularly to rotate them. Also I keep the mayday 400 bars instead of the larger 1200,2400,3600. They make decent snacks and I've never been able to eat a 1200 bar. I can get them locally for $2

Dragon80
* * *
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead
Location: Indiana

Re: Dragon's GHB Updated 4/18/15

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:19 pm

corrsk wrote:I would stay away from the old models they are not as durable or user friendly. But if you have kids the old model for $15 is great for them as a toy. I got 2 for my son. He plays with them constantly.

Duly noted. The models I was looking at were $29.99 for the regular and $39.99 for the multi function model.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”