Gear that made you stop looking

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Re: Gear that made you stop looking

Post by angelofwar » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Things I bought, then I quit looking:

Ka-Bar Becker BK-9; I will never buy another primary machete/chopper again

Surefire flashlights/headlights. Yeah, others are good/reliable, and a 1/3rd of the price, but I have to find a flashlight that meets not only the quality standards, but the CS standard as well. They sent me replacement parts to Iraq in 5 days...free of charge...TWICE! Not that the items failed, per-se, but they became damaged.

1911 in .45acp. I found my HD/CQB pistol when I held this, and I will ALWAYS own one from here on out.

Remington 700. The best/purest/simplest over the counter sniper rifle. Simplest/most accurate out of the box rifle.

S&W 442 Airweight .38spcl; Perfect pocket pistol (revolver). I was looking at the LCP in .380, but am glad I went with this instead. I may still be in the market for a decent polyamere auto, but I have my basic 2 handguns down pact.

Benchmade AFAK (Armed Forces Automatic Knife); Not to big, but not dinky like your typical folders. Fasest action I've seen to date. This is my EDC pig-sticker.

Goal Zero Nomad-7/Guide-10; again, not the cheapest, most compact, but it's modularity makes it my go-to panel. USB/Micro-USB/DC plug-ins, there's not much you can't charge with this.

Will try to get some pics up shortly
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Halfapint wrote:Whereas a Jetboil you HAVE to have a jetboil pot.
Not so fast. There's a JetBoil pot supporter that comes with some models or sold as an accessory. Down side is the boil time is much, much longer and it won't support a heavy load. But it's doable.

I've used it like a canister stove to boil water in a USGI canteen cup. Mags tested it with a Ti pot during an MBO a few years back.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:59 pm

backpack:
The North Face Crestone 60.
Has a front loading panel and a separate sleeping bag compartment.

EDC flashlight which I also bring camping:
Fenix LD10
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_ld10.htm
Uses 1x AA battery. AA is common. Light has a tailcap switch and has a max of 100 ANSI lumens.
I have other stronger lights but I won't be changing this because I like the interface and I can charge AAs using my Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus and Nomad 7 solar panel.

Headlamp:
Currently using a Fenix HL21. 1x AA. 90+ lumens and has a flip up diffuser. Has a Princeton Tec Pilot attached to headband for backup lighting.
I previously had a Princeton Tec Eos for years. Good output and simple. Durable as well. Nothing wrong with the light. I just wanted to streamline my gear to all run off AAs, hence the purchase of the Fenix HL21.

Multitool:
Leatherman Juice Xe6.
http://www.leatherman.com/17.hump
Size matters for EDC. I don't need bits so the bigger multitools were a bit overkill.
I switch the Xe6 with a Leatherman Freestyle depending on what I wear.
They now have the Juice Pro and includes tweezers.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

LASwampRat

Post by LASwampRat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:14 pm

I went through a lot of EDC knives but the one that made me stop looking was the Zero Tolerance #700

It is an unassisted folder under 4" so it fits almost every states carry law. The blade is SV30 softer than the SV35 of my Microtech ultra tech but holds an edge just as long. g10 scales on both sides give amazing grip even under wet conditions. Also has a flipper. With practice u can actually open this knife faster than an OTF auto like my Ultratech. The ZT700 is also built like a damn tank. But at the cost of 5oz, it's not a lite weight blade.
I prep by one simple rule. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50, the only way this bag could be better is if it came in drab green.
EDC knife: Benchmade Mini-Griptillian, fits in the hand perfectly, secure locking mechanism, small enough that it doesn't attract attention, and all with the added benefit of confusing people who borrow it when they try to close it.
Pants: Carhartt jeans and khakis in dungaree fit, most comfortable pants I've ever worn.
The one thing that I really can't find the perfect item for is an edc flashlight, nothing quite fits what I want.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 pm

ArmchairRacer wrote:Backpack: Osprey Atmos 50, the only way this bag could be better is if it came in drab green.
EDC knife: Benchmade Mini-Griptillian, fits in the hand perfectly, secure locking mechanism, small enough that it doesn't attract attention, and all with the added benefit of confusing people who borrow it when they try to close it.
Pants: Carhartt jeans and khakis in dungaree fit, most comfortable pants I've ever worn.
The one thing that I really can't find the perfect item for is an edc flashlight, nothing quite fits what I want.
I'm sort of of flashlight junkie...PM me what yer looking for and I can help you narrow the feild. Multi-level? Multi-Spectrum? Hi-Hi, Lo-Lo? Flood/Throw? Long Run Time?

My personal collection (almost at it's peak):
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Firesteel. From my introduction to them by using my brother's Boy Scout model at a very young age only being able to light cotton balls to the magnesium combo ones I used in my teens to the basic rod that throws sparks I use today.... I've had other methods fail like lighters with wet flint to the finality of using my last match but I've never been without fire as long as I've had a steel and a knife. I carry other methods to make fire but I won't go into the woods without a steel.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Sun May 04, 2014 11:55 pm

For cooking a trangia burner is hard to beat. Easy to find fuel, no moving parts, solid brass construction, lid so you can store fuel in burner. I have an older version that came came with a Swedish mess kit; as well as the newer version that comes with a simmer ring. I much prefer the newer version. It's a little more compact and the simmer ring works great for extinguishing the stove. I haven't used the burner out in the field yet; but it worked great during a power outage when I lived in an apartment with an electric stove. Canteen shop carries the burner for $15. They also have stoves the work with the burner. Just yesterday I ordered their round grill top stove. I will post a review once I test it.

http://www.canteenshop.com/cooking.html

For making drip coffee you can't beat a Frieling Coffee For One.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/frieli ... ee-for-one

It's a plastic coffee maker with a gold filter that sits on top of your cup. It's what I use to make my coffee every single day. Just place it on your cup, put coffee in on top of filter, place top bit on top, pour hot water in, and place the plastic lid on top. It works great with my 16 oz travel mug. I love the fact that the hot water is separate from the coffee maker; it gives me lots of options weather I am at home, traveling, or out in the field. One other advantage of these "one cup" type of coffee makers is that they limit your consumption. When I had an electric coffee maker I would brew a whole pot and drink a whole pot. Now if I want to make coffee I have to go through the trouble of boiling water.

Both these items allowed me to a hot cup of coffee during a Washington snow storm when the power was out. It's hard to be a hot cup of coffee on a cold winters day.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Ragged

Post by Ragged » Mon May 05, 2014 11:41 pm

[quote="ineffableone"][/quote]

x2 on the crewcab

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed May 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Thought I would mention another item one that as long as I don't loose it, I will likely never need another as it will probably last the rest of my life.

Axeprice (on ebay) ferro rods. Specifically their 1/2" X 5" rod

I picked up one of these and a few of their smaller ones, as in regular sized 5/16" X 3". I have had a Blast Match, firesteel dot com, light my fire, and many other ferro rods. These Axeprice ones work on par with the others and out perform many. However they are much cheaper. That 1/2" X 5" is selling for $8 on ebay with free shipping.

I love having a ferro rod that is huge like this, and yes there are practical reasons for it. It gives you much wider and longer surface to strike with your scrapper, which means a lot more sparks. The large size also means easier grip, this is not a ferro rod you struggle to hold and strike. The large size also means that this puppy will last and last and last. Which is a good thing to have in a ferro rod. The smaller (regular sized) ferro rods I picked up meant I was able to stash them all over my kit. I have at least one ferro rod in all my different packs and bags.

Here are some of their ferro rods. If your in the market for ferro rods, I have no hesitation recommending them.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Wed May 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Dayum! That's a huge ferro rod! Slightly drooling.

Can't resist..... You know what they say about a guy with a big ferro rod?

Um, he throws a lot of sparks!

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed May 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Dead_Like_Disco wrote:Dayum! That's a huge ferro rod! Slightly drooling.

Can't resist..... You know what they say about a guy with a big ferro rod?

Um, he throws a lot of sparks!
I actually found they now have a 1/2" X 6" too. They didn't sell 'em when I bought mine years ago.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Thu May 08, 2014 12:13 am

Since we are on the subject of fire starters; I would like to add the spark-lite to the list.

It's basically just the sparky bit from a disposable lighter. The flits are replaceable by undoing a screw on the bottom. From what I can tell it's a standard zippo/bic flint. The spark-lite comes in a small plastic box with tinder. The spark-light it's self is a little on the small side. So it can be a little tricky to use. The small size however makes more compact. It works great for lighting my Trangia burner. The included tinder however was a pain to light; but it did work. I am sure practice would make it easier. This kit does have some shortcomings. but for something that's small, cheap, light, and can be used one handed; it's hard to beat. I plan on buying more so I can keep one in each kit. It's worth considering for an emergency/backup fire starter if nothing else. Besides the OD green one I have, they also make them in orange. I ordered mine from Emergency Essentials, but plenty of places online carry them.

http://beprepared.com/spark-light-firestarter.html

My other must have fire starter is the good old bic lighter. Disposable lighters are must haves in any kit. Sometimes you just need a simple flame not a whole camp fire. I smoked cigarettes for a few years. In my 'career' as a cigarette smoker I tried various disposable lighters. Out of all the ones I tried, I found bics to be the best. As long as their is fuel in a bic, it just works. I have run them through the washing machine before. Once they dry out, they work like champ. Here are a couple of bic tips. Remove the child safety thing so it's easier to strike. My lighters wont get into the hands of kids, so I am not worried. When your lighter is spent, carefully remove the flint. The flint is embedded in the spring, so watch out for a flying spring. The flits are the same diameter as a zippo flint. A spent bic flint is a little longer than a new zippo flit. Bic flints should also work in the spark-lite.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Thu May 08, 2014 12:37 am

I've been lusting after one of these single shot .22s for so long and I finally completed the build a month ago. I wanted a light weight packable small game getter as an insurance policy for if things seemed like they might last longer than my packaged food in the wild. It's 15.5 ounces and folds to 20". I didn't get it with personal defense in mind or anything of that nature. I can get it to hold 2" at 25 yards at the moment so by no means is it a tack driver but I'm still playing with ammo selection and thinking of adding a fire wire front sight.

I like it so much because it's easy to pack, mechanically simple, and light weight therefore it is less likely to get left behind and adds to my capabilities in the event things get really bad.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Thu May 08, 2014 12:43 am

Dead_Like_Disco wrote:
I've been lusting after one of these single shot .22s for so long and I finally completed the build a month ago.
I have never seen a rifle like that. Can you give us some more details. I have been looking at compact 22's. I have been eying the Henry AR-7, but I am always open for more options. Good to know what's out there before I buy something.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Thu May 08, 2014 12:56 am

Sure thing...
It's a pricey undertaking with the kit running $250
http://www.rutalocura.com/PRK.html
Then you need a chipmunk single shot .22 for the donor action, mine came out to about $120 after taxes and back door registration fees.
http://www.chipmunkrifles.com/chipmunk_rifles.php
Then the YouTube video to show you how to assemble it. I have more than a passing familiarity with firearm work from a previous life but if you have any doubts take it to a reputable smith and it shouldn't take them more than 1/2 hour of shop time.
http://youtu.be/qPjB-yJJ5eA

Hope that helps! :)

justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy » Sun May 11, 2014 1:00 pm

I have a lot of gear that made me stop looking.

When I was 13 I got a imperial Ireland swiss army knife copy, it is still in my pack. 25 years later and I have never purchased another knife of the swiss army knife type. I have used this knife more times, all the tools in it, so many times I cant count.

along with that knife I got a magnesium fire starter, which I still have and still carry and use while in the boonies, when I don't feel like using the old bic.

then when I was about 20 I got a Remington 700 ADL in .270 and I have never looked at or for a deer rifle again.

about 2 years after that, after having many knives, I got a buck skinner with a camo handle and a gut hook, that is my hunting and fishing knife now, and always will be. Unless I loose it.

about 10 years ago I finally got a scope for the above deer rifle that I love. a leupold vari x 3 10.5x3 variable power, with light up reticle and a 30mm tube. Also for that rifle I have a USGI M1 sling. I look no further for a sling or scope.

I got a alcohol stove, its like a can with holes in it, very light weight and I have used it a lot with no problems I am no longer looking at stoves. This stove is so light weight, simple and easy to get fuel for. It uses HEET treatment you can buy anywhere.
and I suppose I could put just about anything that would burn in it if I had to.

katadyn micropur water tablets, Im sold on them. and stopped using coughlins iodine a long time ago. these work much better and the treated water tastes good.

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Sun May 11, 2014 8:14 pm

justsomeguy wrote:...I got a alcohol stove, its like a can with holes in it, very light weight and I have used it a lot with no problems I am no longer looking at stoves. This stove is so light weight, simple and easy to get fuel for. It uses HEET treatment you can buy anywhere.
and I suppose I could put just about anything that would burn in it if I had to...
I use an alky stove too and I love it and have no plans to replace it. But. I have to caution you about using other fuels. I have tried a variety of other flammable liquids in an alcohol stove and they all either didn't work or were incredibly dangerous. Stick to HEET, IMO.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon May 12, 2014 2:53 am

justsomeguy wrote: When I was 13 I got a imperial Ireland swiss army knife copy, it is still in my pack. 25 years later and I have never purchased another knife of the swiss army knife type. I have used this knife more times, all the tools in it, so many times I cant count.
Thanks for reminding me about my Swiss Army knife. I have been using Victorinox SAK's since I was a kid. I keep a Victorinox super tinker on my keys. I do have other knives, but I will always carry a SAK as a backup and for the other tools. The scissors on my SAK are seriously awesome. :awesome:

Another advantage to the SAK is that they are probably the most legal "pocket knife" anywhere in the world. If it's legal to carry a knife, it's more than likely legal to carry a SAK.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon May 12, 2014 4:00 am

Drop Dead Zed wrote:
justsomeguy wrote:...I got a alcohol stove, its like a can with holes in it, very light weight and I have used it a lot with no problems I am no longer looking at stoves. This stove is so light weight, simple and easy to get fuel for. It uses HEET treatment you can buy anywhere.
and I suppose I could put just about anything that would burn in it if I had to...
I use an alky stove too and I love it and have no plans to replace it. But. I have to caution you about using other fuels. I have tried a variety of other flammable liquids in an alcohol stove and they all either didn't work or were incredibly dangerous. Stick to HEET, IMO.
I use denatured alcohol and it works great. HEET (yellow bottle) is mostly methanol. Both Methanol and Ethanol work. The denatured alcohol I use is a 50/50 mix of ethanol and methanol. If you live in a state that allows 98% ABV liquore then try that. Unfortunately here in California the strongest you can buy is 151 proof. I am not sure how well that would work due to the water content.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 12, 2014 4:17 am

Purple_Mutant wrote:
Drop Dead Zed wrote:
I use denatured alcohol and it works great. HEET (yellow bottle) is mostly methanol. Both Methanol and Ethanol work. The denatured alcohol I use is a 50/50 mix of ethanol and methanol. If you live in a state that allows 98% ABV liquore then try that. Unfortunately here in California the strongest you can buy is 151 proof. I am not sure how well that would work due to the water content.
I found that HEET and denatured alcohol work equally well. HEET is available to damn near anyone, where as some states/countries my not carry it. Here in WA we are lucky enough to be able to carry denatured. I have about 30gallons of it stored away. I got it on the cheap, so I took advantage of it. Generally denatured alcohol is about $12/gal. Which even at that isn't all that bad to stock up for a while.

The double walled stoves I make can boil 2 cups of water in 4minutes and continue to boil for another minute or so longer. so having a few gallons makes for a pretty efficient stove
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon May 12, 2014 8:37 am

I am a closet gear whore that never seems to be satisfied, so this is a good thread subject.

Flashlight/headlamps I have been real happy with my current picks. Fenix flashlights and Petzel headlamps

I have what is considered a dinosaur of headlamps, a Petzel Tikka 2 plus. It basically does everything I need for hiking and camping; high and low beams in either white or red, with some emergency strobe functions. Its also Water proof, and takes AAA batteries. I think its pushing 8 years old, but if it ain't broke, and it does everything I need, I plan to stick with it.

Flashlights I have an LD20 on the nightstand for things that go bump in the night, a LD01 on my keychain which is the size on one AAA and throws a crazy 80 lums on high. I could also use it as a headlamp with the pocket clip on a brim of a baseball cap. I also have an old Preon 2 that rides in my BOB or backpack when camping.

I guess I'm ok with stoves and water filtration too. I have an alcohol stove and an old MSR pocket rocket. I have an original Sawyer Squeeze and may get a mini just so I have an extra.

Knives, guns, shelters, backpack I'm still a dirty gear whore and flip-flopping all over the place.

mobilesuithomer

Post by mobilesuithomer » Wed May 14, 2014 12:02 am

I got a Fenix E01 flashlight over a year and a half ago and never looked back. Not only is it lightweight and compact, it's fairly bright for its size and very, very reliable. I put a battery in when I first got it and have yet to replace it, which I still think is pretty amazing considering how often it gets used by both me and other family members.

My Enlan folder, which I can't find on the website I ordered it from. Smooth action, fits my (small and girlish) hand really well, and was extremely sharp right out of the package. Oh, and inexpensive, too.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:44 pm

Well figured I would add a couple more items to the list.

First up is something there really is not much competition in the category as there are only a few different companies making front packs. But for me and my use the Ribz front pack was a game changer and a piece of gear I can not recommend enough. Hill People Gear make a chest pack style, which some folks prefer but I like the lower Ribz vest style.

Ribz Front Pack

These packs not only help store gear up front where you can access needed items, but when used with a back pack it helps off set the back weight reducing the strain and tendency to lean forward to compensate for the weight on your back.

It can be used with or without a back pack. And I find it useful enough to keep wearing it even after reaching my camp spot, as it provides easy access to small essential items. Another good thing is it is fairly grey man, it does not scream tactical or military gear even in the black color choice.

Next up is one I am always surprised does not get mentioned much if at all when camp stoves are the topic.

Trail Designs Ti Tri Caldera Stove with Inferno insert

This is a great 3 fuel stove using alcohol, esbit, and wood fuel. It is light and compact, rolling up into the plastic cozy container which can be used as 2 drinking cups or soup bowls. Or you could store it flat if you want with just the alcohol stove part and pot taking up any space. There are a variety of sizes you can order and they are made to fit specific pots.

The Inferno insert while not necessary helps turn the wood burning into a wood gas burner. Getting more efficiency and less smoke from your wood fire.

The inferno can also be used solo as a small portable fire pit, or to use with lager diameter pots. Or as a secondary stove to be able to cook two things at once.

Even as a makeshift grill

This light multi fuel stove just amazes me with what it can do. Since getting it, I have little to no interest in other stoves. The Ti Tri Caldera is to me the perfect back pack stove. The one draw back is being built pot specific, and while using the inferno insert for bigger pots can be a work around for that, for some folks having a stove specific to a single or small range of pots might be the deal breaker.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Bug Out Gear”