Sierra Designs Back Country Bed

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Maverick299

Sierra Designs Back Country Bed

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Anyone seen these yet? I thought I was all set for sleeping bags until I stumbled across this genius invention. It's heavier than most bags so maybe not designed for a bug out, but for anyone that spends much time tent camping, this looks amazing!

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

moab

Re: Sierra Designs Back Country Bed

Post by moab » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:53 pm

If your not going to save weight by dropping all the zippers etc. I don't see the point. I do like the foot vent and the air mattress sleeve though. Genius ideas.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:57 pm

moab wrote:If your not going to save weight by dropping all the zippers etc. I don't see the point. I do like the foot vent and the air mattress sleeve though. Genius ideas.
I see it as a weight for comfort trade off. I can't imagine how many times I have gotten temporary stuck in a bag because of a snagged zipper (usually when you have to pee) or I have woke up with a half frozen arm because it unknowingly came out of the bag while tossing and turning. Or I got too hot, unzipped the bag halfway, and then woke up cold and fumbled for a zipper while freezing. For restless sleepers like me this seems like a really comfortable option.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Looks like a great design for car camping, but that's about it.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:16 pm

The closest comparison I could find to my current bag is that the 17 degree Back Country bed weighs in at 2 lbs 10oz, while my current Zissou 12, 12 degee bag weighs in at 2lbs 7oz.

Giving up 5 degrees on the rating and 3oz of extra weight for comfort. For me, it might be a good trade off, maybe not for everyone though.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Always fear stuff attached to a ground pad and or sleeping bag as I toss and turn much during the night. Will that pad sleeve hold up and I wonder if that person ever tested it outside of the office, cubicles and all :lol: Really bad marketing there. My solution to all of their mention issues is to simply use the sleeping bag as a quilt. All of that said if the product survives sooner or later someone will post a real world review. Maybe it will be good kit? Who knows.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:53 pm

I'd have to try it to see how well it seals, but I'm almost always a fan of getting rid of zippers on sleeping bags. anything under 3lbs isn't that bad in my book, if it's 20degree or warmer.
the only thing I'm not liking is the whole super-wide hood area, looks like a lot of dead space that might let in drafts too.

anyway, kudos to SD for actually trying something new, even if it fails. I had written off the "mobile mummy" when I first saw it, but now looking at it I'm in love with the hood if nothing else:

https://www.sierradesigns.com/product/m ... 0-3-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they obviously got a new design team in there trying things out, I remember a few years ago they seemed like a cross between LL Bean and Marmot, the origami tarp was about their most innovative product and all their sleeping bags were pretty standard stuff.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Might make for a good solution for hammock campers too. Easy in and out. Zippers and tight bags suck in a hammock!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Might make for a good solution for hammock campers too. Easy in and out. Zippers and tight bags suck in a hammock!
Just flip the bag around and use it as a quilt. Considering a Polar vortex winter MBO hang maybe Thursday when the cold air hits. You can bet I won't be fighting with my bag inside the hammock. The insulation used for my back is setup not to compress under my body weight so there isn't much gain IMHO from getting into a sleeping bag. In some ways the sleeping bag as a quilt feels warmer when in a hammock so long as cold back is addressed.

PWA2600
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/28 Weeks Later.
The Walking Dead TV Series.
Resident Evil Series.
Others.

Post by PWA2600 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:23 pm

I like the idea of this for use in hammock camping etc. The mobile mummy bag that Sierra has, looks good to me too. Just more $$$ I will have to spend I guess :crazy: Granted I haven't used a hammock in the winter; even though I had bought the Hennessey Super Shelter (4 season insulation system). I guess I will need to do that one of these days :ohdear:

Nice find Maverick.
"You do not truly own anything that you can't carry in both arms at a dead run"
- Robert A. Heinlein

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith"
-2 Timothy 4:7

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
- Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:58 pm

The foot opening could be very handy for doing this, when the zombies attack your campsite! :clap: :lol:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Maverick299 wrote: I see it as a weight for comfort trade off.
This seems like the long and the short of it. Lots of great ideas integrated into a package that looks like it will be a lot more comfortable.

But compared to an equal temperature rating in a more traditionally styled mummy bag, considerably more weight and bulk.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Maverick299 wrote: I see it as a weight for comfort trade off.
This seems like the long and the short of it. Lots of great ideas integrated into a package that looks like it will be a lot more comfortable.

But compared to an equal temperature rating in a more traditionally styled mummy bag, considerably more weight and bulk.
A centered zip sleeping bag used multiple ways would have addressed many of the issues this product is looking to solve. Bet they started off on that road then took a few turns. I wish there were more center zip bags on the market today.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Woods Walker wrote:I wish there were more center zip bags on the market today.
I can't decide if I like center zips. I feel like they are a pain when used with a bivy. I shutter at the thought of parting with my MSS bivy.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Very cool design concept. While I am skeptical of how well it actually works, I think it is great they are pushing the boundaries and coming up with unique ideas.

As someone who tends to use my feet to regulate my temp while sleeping, I have always hated being confined in sleeping bags. So the foot opening idea is right up my ally. This seems like a great option for longer term sleeping bag use. When your going out for longer than an overnighter, sleep comfort plays a much bigger role. Weight drops in concern and comfort takes a higher place.

I don't see this concept replacing the standard zip bags, but I can see this idea taking off and getting popular with some people like me.
74 or more wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:I wish there were more center zip bags on the market today.
I can't decide if I like center zips. I feel like they are a pain when used with a bivy. I shutter at the thought of parting with my MSS bivy.
I have always been surprised there aren't more center zips. They make so much sense. The first time I saw them I thought this is genius all sleeping bags should be this way. The first time I tried one I could not understand what took people so long to figure out the design. However the rarity of them has made me opt for bags with side zips often due to price or temp ratings or weight. There just aren't enough center zips out there.

I don't think I will ever give up my MSS system, and have been looking at options of different bags I can use with the MSS bivy. The MSS while heavy bulky and outdated, still is an amazing piece of gear. The ability of combining bags and bivy is a great system. I am surprised that none of the civilian bag makers have taken the idea and improved on it. You would think it would not be hard to build a bag bivy system that would let you choose different bags to reach different temp ratings. Instead of 2 bags and bivy, maybe having 4-6 different bag options to choose from. 1/2 for outer 1/2 for inner bag, maybe synthetic and down options. But so far no civi version of MSS I have seen.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:00 pm

ineffableone wrote: I am surprised that none of the civilian bag makers have taken the idea and improved on it. You would think it would not be hard to build a bag bivy system that would let you choose different bags to reach different temp ratings. Instead of 2 bags and bivy, maybe having 4-6 different bag options to choose from. 1/2 for outer 1/2 for inner bag, maybe synthetic and down options. But so far no civi version of MSS I have seen.
There have been a few makers that came out with outer bags that zipped into sleeping bags, I know I've seen a mountain hardwear one on eBay. I think the reason you don't see purpous-built "systems" is that the people that see the need for them are clever enough to mix and match brand names and components already and don't need to be given permission by a marketing team. Lots of cold weather campers will layer a synthetic bag over a down bag and the MSS bivy is large enough to accommodate almost any combo of civilian bags already. One of the early down bag makers back in the '70s made a 3 layer down bag that had separate panels that could be folded out of the way, but I don't think they were completely removable.

I tend to just buy a middle of the road sleeping bag temperature wise and add clothing or vent to suit the situation. If I lived in a place with more trempurature extremes I'd probably have a two bag system, but i'd probably want at least one of those bags to be wearable (hpg mt serape, SD mobile mummy, exped wallcreeper etc), and I'd probably have one down and one synthetic.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:00 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
ineffableone wrote: I am surprised that none of the civilian bag makers have taken the idea and improved on it. You would think it would not be hard to build a bag bivy system that would let you choose different bags to reach different temp ratings. Instead of 2 bags and bivy, maybe having 4-6 different bag options to choose from. 1/2 for outer 1/2 for inner bag, maybe synthetic and down options. But so far no civi version of MSS I have seen.
There have been a few makers that came out with outer bags that zipped into sleeping bags, I know I've seen a mountain hardwear one on eBay. I think the reason you don't see purpous-built "systems" is that the people that see the need for them are clever enough to mix and match brand names and components already and don't need to be given permission by a marketing team. Lots of cold weather campers will layer a synthetic bag over a down bag and the MSS bivy is large enough to accommodate almost any combo of civilian bags already. One of the early down bag makers back in the '70s made a 3 layer down bag that had separate panels that could be folded out of the way, but I don't think they were completely removable.

I tend to just buy a middle of the road sleeping bag temperature wise and add clothing or vent to suit the situation. If I lived in a place with more trempurature extremes I'd probably have a two bag system, but i'd probably want at least one of those bags to be wearable (hpg mt serape, SD mobile mummy, exped wallcreeper etc), and I'd probably have one down and one synthetic.
While you can mix different bags from different makers, actually having bags that are made to fit inside eachother can make a difference. Not all bags will fit together well. Which is part of why I am surprised civilian bags haven't caught onto building sleep systems instead of just single bags.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

therianthrope
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead

Post by therianthrope » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm a stomach sleeper and one who prefers to use my arms for thermo-regulation while sleeping. This seems like it could be my dream bag.

Normal mummy bags can feel like they're suffocating me. While my first thought about the hood - similar to RR - was that it looked drafty, with my current bag I often end up with my head fully outside of the bag anyway cuz as I move in the night on my belly it can end up restricting my breathing and then my head pops out and I end up wrapping it in a hoody or something. This spacious hood would allow me to keep my dome in the warm, and the general draftiness looks like it could probably be shored up by the comforter. The arm pockets on the comforter would allow me to hang my arm out and maybe not have to move it back and forth, in and out of the bag, every 30 minutes or however long it takes it to get too cold... I like.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”