The ABSOLUTE most important things in a BOB

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Outdoorman.co

The ABSOLUTE most important things in a BOB

Post by Outdoorman.co » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:30 pm

I've been reading a lot of posts regarding the BOB. There seem to be a lot of differing opinions.

For you, what are the things your BOB absolutely must have?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: The ABSOLUTE most important things in a BOB

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:47 pm

I took a long time to complete my first BOB. I just had a hard time putting the basics together. I kept adding crap and not really concentrating on the essentials. Then I read Murph's signature.
Murph wrote:Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
That's the base list I come back to every time someone asks me to critique their BOB.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

dpayette

Post by dpayette » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:54 pm

I think that for most of us here we would suggest the most basic fundamental needs, food, water, shelter, cordage, fire, knife for their BOB/ GHB. The food and water I carry supports the 3 day need to get to your intended location. I have a tarp and wool blanket and extra mild weather clothes to cover basic shelter needs. I feel having rope/ paracord is also important for creating you shelter, or other needs. I have 3 ways to create fire (lighters, fero. rod and a lens with good dry tinder, along with a metal stove) as well as multiple knives for different tasks. My main concern will be to get home from work if something goes bad. I work 37 miles away, and keep a folding Strida bike to help shorten the time I will spend on the road (hopefully). My kit is finished out with some basic to intermediate first aid items, and a small regular FM and amateur radio. Last but not least I have 3 different flash lights with spare batteries.

Protection can be argued as the a basic need, I feel it is and usually have my ccw close when I am out.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm

Murph wrote:Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
I use this for every pack, even the modular ones. Every piece of kit you own will fit into at least one of these categories. The trick is finding items that perform roles in multiple categories.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Think a STRIDER would be appropriate?

On Point

Post by On Point » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Most important eh? Everything in my kit is literally packed around my water. I have a stainless steel canteen & filter to collect dirty, undrinkable water. Once the water is collected the canteen can be put directly on a fire to boil off any harmful pathogens/bacteria. Once the water is clean I have several other canteens to store the potable water. Out of all my kit this is my most valuable asset, water. Everything else seems trivial.
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts." - William Shakespeare

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Norcalbowhunter

Post by Norcalbowhunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:39 pm

I play it by the rule of what do we as humans need to survive.

1. Water. You can go weeks without food. You'll only live a few days without water so that is most important. Now I don't mean JUST water, but things to purify water with, to gather it in and so on. Having redundancy ways to get safe clean water never hurts.

2. Warmth is my second most important thing on the list, so bring something to make a fire with, then bring a back up, and a backup to your backup. Honestly when it comes to making fires redundancy is best. With it you'll fend off predators who generally avoid fires and smoke, warm yourself up, give you something to cook food and purify water with and you'll also give yourself some peace of mind and sanity.

3. Food is next. While you can go weeks without it, you will badly need it. You need the energy to do anything. You need it to keep sane and if you don't get it right away you'll be weaker as you try to get it later. Also bring tools to get food with. Snares, guns or bows if you hunt, traps and what ever else.

4. Shelter is 4th on my list. You'll eventually need something to keep you safe from the elements and animals. Either bring a nice tent and sleeping bag, or learn how to bush craft some shelter for yourself. Sleeping on the grass under the stars while nice, isn't a long term solution. Also ideally it is a good idea to get up off the ground and into a warm bed. So a sleeping pad and sleeping bag are nice.

5. Lastly, and this is something I ALWAYS carry because it is the best survival tool. A knife. You need a tool, and if you had to pick one you would be better off going with a knife. You can make fires with it, you can cut things with it, you can make other tools with it, you can hunt with it, and you can prepare food with it. A knife and a lighter are the two best things you should ALWAYS carry.

This is just a list to start with, in the end you'll probably end up with more in your B.O.B. then just my above 5. However as a human you'll need those things to survive above all else. I would take all these suggestions together as a good reference as none of them are wrong. In the wild though just remember your basics. Water, fire, food, shelter and knife. Some people have survived using just the basics. Knowledge and experience are also a HUGE advantage. I would suggest getting the SAS survival book and going camping more often practicing the skills within. He does such a great job at detailing how to do things that you should be able to just follow the book.
Last edited by Norcalbowhunter on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked
- Psalm 82:4

Outdoorman.co

Post by Outdoorman.co » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Thank you all for the responses. This gives me a great idea on where to get started.

VICTOR BRAVO

Post by VICTOR BRAVO » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:25 am

If you don't have immediate shelter from extreme weather hot, cold, wet etc (clothing, tarp, poncho, bivi) you'll be dead or unconscious within hours! You won't live long enough to need the water, the food, the gun, the knife, the firelighting kit !!!

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:15 am

Water bottle and a knife.
Two things I am never without.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:18 am

TOILET PAPER, hand sanitizer, knife, multi-tool, and a clean hanky
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:27 am

It depends on the situation. If the temps are 36 with heavy cold rain then you can bet the most important thing is proper clothing. If you're thirsty potable water is the most important thing. If others are looking to do you harm and there is no peaceful way to avoid conflict maybe a means of self defense is the most important thing. If you're injured a first aid kit might be the most important thing. Maybe shelter is the most important thing? Maybe at some point it would be food? Heck if you're in a potential drowning situation wearing a PFD matters more than all the gold in the world. Ultimately your plan, knowledge and attitude is what matters. If those ducks are in a row there is an increased chance you will actually have "The ABSOLUTE most important things" if needed and know how to use them.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 pm

I know it's dorky or cliche' but I'm going with knowledge/attitude. All the Gucci kit in the World won't save you without it. I try to base my Kits Bags BOBS & preps around the Rule of 3's. It's a nice simple way to break it down for a knuckle dragger like me......
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Outdoorman.co wrote:I've been reading a lot of posts regarding the BOB. There seem to be a lot of differing opinions.

For you, what are the things your BOB absolutely must have?
IMO, potable water and the ability to make potable water.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Cash\coin (and possibly precious metals)
Digital (encrypted\password protected) copies of all of your important documents (house\car insurance, a couple of bills to establish residency, copies of all your financial accounts, emergency contacts list, etc.)
water
weapon
bullets
bandaids
shelter
socks
maps\compass
communications
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:46 pm

I follow the 3's

3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

So for me shelter is typically number one. Granted 3 hours is pretty extreme but in winter it doesn't get to cold around here but it does rain, constantly. So spending a night without water isn't a big deal for me, but spending a night huddled under a tree or something without warm clothes and a shelter is going to rate 9/10 on the suck factor. So even in my EDC/GHB I carry a large silnylon tarp and warm clothes.

With that said.... I carry 2 1.5 liter bottles of water in my bag along with the extra large Kleen Kanteen water bottle and water tabs. I love my bag its got 2 side pockets on the inside that PERFECTLY fit the bottles. If I didn't have those pouches I don't know if I'd carry so much water.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:44 pm

A towel. About the most massively useful thing a ZS member can pack in a BOB. :D

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Boondock wrote:A towel. About the most massively useful thing a ZS member can pack in a BOB. :D
That, and a sign that reads "Don't Panic".....
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Off hand I'd say some kind of hat. In my area of operations at least, energy conservation is critical if you're spending any time out of doors, exposed to the elements.

Outdoorman.co

Post by Outdoorman.co » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Thank you all for responding!

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 pm

I really like the 5 C's of Survivability

The 5 C's are...

• Cutting device
• Combustion device
• Cordage
• Container
• Cover

This concept really helps me packing gear. I am constantly asking myself if I have these covered and what other options in those categories I might need.
Something about these is they are names as a basic concept to suggest items, smaller your kit more multipurpose each should be. See below for further explanation.

There is actually another 5 making it actually 10 C's, but most people including me concentrate on the first 5.

• Candle
• Cotton
• Compass
• Cargo Tape
• Canvas Needle

For example the container if you only are packing 1 should be one you can boil water in as well as be able to close and carry water in. However if your packing more then one might fit this but others might be more specialized for specific container uses. Similar with Candle, this does not mean specifically a candle but any lighting device. It could be a head lamp or mag light etc. However if your down to just one "candle" you might actually want to opt for the candle as it not only gives light but heat also, and even could be used to cook with in a pinch. Cotton probably needs a little explanation, and references a cotton bandana or similar. A tool to pre filter water, wipe your brow, use as a bandage etc.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:13 am

For where I live for about half of the year I consider a good cold weather sleeping bag to be the most important item in my BOB.

estoteparati

Post by estoteparati » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:20 pm

5-7 inch fixed blade knife, water filter & storage method, methods to gather food (fishing supplies, .22, traps, etc)
a good bag to carry it all.

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Short answer:
1. Knowledge
2. Seasonally appropriate clothing
3. A sturdy knife
4. A lighter
5. Water container (but unless your in patagonia, the amazon or the sahara you can probably find discarded bottles or cans with ease)
You can survive most realistic situations with just these items.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”