Looking for a GHB, is the kool-aid worth it?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Looking for a GHB, is the kool-aid worth it?

Post by roOism » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:50 pm

So I'm looking for a small GHB that I can leave at work for emergencies and a get out/get home situation. My house is about 6 miles east of work, but my wife is about 6 miles west, so in the event of major shtf I could possibly be covering 20ish miles to get the lady and get home.

I've been looking at the Camelbak HAWG, TAD fastpack, Goruck GR0, and other similarly sized packs. Given that the HAWG is half the price of most of the other kits, is there any reason to drink the kool-aid? In addition to the GHB use, I'll probably take it with me when I do short overnighters in the desert down here, so it will get some use.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Re: Looking for a GHB, is the kool-aid worth it?

Post by Caenus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Scoff, but I bought the Walmart Molle bag for $30 or $40 for exactly this purpose. It seems very well built, nearly identical to the Rush72 (I think). For a bag that will not be carried and tortured every weekend, I think it will more than hold up to a lifetime (in bag years) in a trunk and perform when needed.

I am also intending to use it for some short weekenders and it holds plenty of gear, well organized, and the ability to expand and tailor it to the current needs with all the damn Molle strips on it. It is comfortable even with 30-40lbs loaded up (mostly camera gear).
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:12 pm

I went grey man and have North Face day and a half pack for my GHB.

Seriously: just settle on any decent pack and some sensible gear; you'll be miles ahead in the event of an emergency.

My only other suggestion is it's a 6 mile ruck to the wifey before the two of you can point your boots toward home. See if you can convince her to keep some kind of pack and maybe a little gear staged at her place of work/trunk of her car.

Spreading the load between two adults makes the absolute quality of the packs a little less important.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryodan

Post by Ryodan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:37 pm

i'm assuming once you hit home and grab your real bug out bag these will be left behind and that this 20ish miles will all be in urban/suburban environments. Under that assumption I would say grab the most bland boring regular pack you can find, blend in with the regular unprepared people. No camo, no molle, just plain old everyday backpack. I have an old backpack my brother used years ago in high school and was going to throw out, its one of those dumb skateboard holding bags. It screams I don't have anything you're interested in taking. In fact when my garage was broken into 2 weeks ago they stole my gun safe, ammo, and my bug out bags. The plain looking ghb was currently in the garage with the bobs, they tossed it out of the way leaving it behind. They did the same with my regular camel back yet they stole the camo molle covered camel back, I assume because it looked tactical.

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:35 am

I came to the realization, that for me, a GHB is just as important if not more that a BOB. 90% of my plans involve buggin in, and we know bad things usually don't happen at the perfect time. Working a minimum 40 hrs a week (if I'm lucky) usually more, Odds are if I'm not home I'll be at work.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:57 am

majorhavoc wrote:Seriously: just settle on any decent pack and some sensible gear; you'll be miles ahead in the event of an emergency.
Yup. However, if you regularly expect to get a lot of hard use out of your pack, sometimes the Kool-Aid is worth every penny. And it is delicious.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:12 pm

roOism wrote:So I'm looking for a small GHB that I can leave at work for emergencies and a get out/get home situation. My house is about 6 miles east of work, but my wife is about 6 miles west, so in the event of major shtf I could possibly be covering 20ish miles to get the lady and get home.

I've been looking at the Camelbak HAWG, TAD fastpack, Goruck GR0, and other similarly sized packs. Given that the HAWG is half the price of most of the other kits, is there any reason to drink the kool-aid? In addition to the GHB use, I'll probably take it with me when I do short overnighters in the desert down here, so it will get some use.
Watch for deals. LAPG, SKD, etc. In the mean time, cruise craigslist/yard sales/etc and pick up a basic bag. Shit, I paid $10 for an NC Star tacticool bag for motocycle ridiong and it held up logn enough to figure out what I did and didn't like about it, which helped me figure out what I wanted in my next bag. I settled on a test pack I got from a buddy with no brand name, but I likeed both the Goruck and the TAD stuff I sw as well.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Fr whatever reason I've had bad luck with most import backpacks/bags I've purchased over the years, my Maxpedition Vulture even started to fall apart after a year of moderate use.

I like the gray man mentality, but for quality and supporting American business I want to buy something American made. Last time I looked at the gorucks they only had the larger bags, but it looks like their selection has expanded to smaller stuff as well.

http://www.goruck.com/en/bullet-15

That is about the right size for me, and priced between the camelbak and fancier stuff.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Boondock wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:Seriously: just settle on any decent pack and some sensible gear; you'll be miles ahead in the event of an emergency.
Yup. However, if you regularly expect to get a lot of hard use out of your pack, sometimes the Kool-Aid is worth every penny. And it is delicious.
I'd also advise you to figure out what's going into the pack(s). It will give you a better idea of what's needed for the volume of the packs.

I just use an old Medium Alice w/frame I got for $15. More than what I need, but the price was right for me. Plenty of extra space for me and it looks like I barely have anything in it, so I'm not worth the hassle for anyone looking to cause trouble. There's a lot of military surplus around my AO so this really doesn't stick out. Even saw a student using one for his school bag.

For a GHB you shouldn't require anything too large and definitely try to find something commercial that doesn't stick out.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:54 pm

For a GHB I say get the Camelbak. I mean, it's not like Camelbak makes bad gear right? The TAD and GR bags are both great bags but if your not willing to spend the money, you could do worse that Camelbak.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:12 pm

I've been using the Tom Bihn Synapse 25 for the past few months and must say I'm a convert. Although, it's way too nice (and expensive) for something you're just going to leave at work and not use. If however you're going to use it as an EDC, it also doubles up great as a GHB. It has great organization, it's light, it has the grey-man look, and their customer service and quality is top-notch. They also make their stuff in the U.S., if that matters to you.
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Return to “Bug Out Gear”