Girls Fishing Weekend

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Girls Fishing Weekend

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Every year in mid-September, I go out for a weekend of fishing with six good friends. I didn't catch a darned thing over six inches, but I did earn my own "The One That Got Away" story with a feisty pickerel. I also got to make a couple of campfires, cook over one of them, and most importantly, have a fantastic few days with six amazing friends. Got to do a bunch of walking, carrying gear up and down from the cottage to the dock, and was in charge of lunch on Saturday and our Saturday night campfire.

First up, was a bunch of fishing on Friday.

FISHING KIT + THROW BAG
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Main pocket with assorted lures and synthetic worms

Side pocket with extra line, hooks & weights and pliars

Front pocket with pliars, bug juice, mini FAK, Buck Silver Creek Bait Knife, Kleenex, zip ties, sunglasses string. There's also a pair of insulated fishing gloves in there but I removed them for the picture.

Side pocket with PSK (lip balm, sunscreen, polysporin, crank flashlight, SAK, BIC, mylar blanket, bandaids, alcohol wipes, chem hand warmers, mini glo-stick)

THE FISHING
I mostly used my bass fishing set-up: a J-hook, tied on with a fisherman's knot and then baited with a Gary Yamamoto synthetic worm set-up weedless style. I left my gear on shore on Friday night when we went trolling for pickerel, and used a heavier rod and reel and a MUCH bigger lure. I only caught one little guy, but as a group, we caught a bunch of little guys. Only had four that we'd keep, and none over about a pound a half. We released them all except one, who died from the shock of the fight in the colder water.

Here's me trying my best to catch something with my Ugly Stick and crappy Shakespeare reel (only had one bird's nest this weekend though)

My poor little baby bass, that my BFF thought might need a little TLC after the shock of being my only catch this year. We did cook fresh caught bass this weekend, but this little guy was released to go and get bigger. ;)

FIRE KIT

My fire kit for the weekend was simply my Gerber BG USK and a pocket tinder kit made out of an Altoid's tin and a bunch of natural tinder and some jute twine. I also had a couple of BICs and cotton balls for backup. I hoped to borrow the cottage axe as well, but the haft was cracked so I didn't use it. Thankfully a neighbor had one he left me use to split a couple of cedar logs, and then I split those further with my fixed blade. I also had my leather work gloves, my Leatherman Wave and a bandana.

COOKING KIT

I brought my 4 quart cast iron dutch oven, some aluminum foil and my CRKT Mt. Rainier for cooking gear. I borrowed a cutting board and strainer from the cottage. I also scavenged a 5lb coffee can, an aluminum pie plate a rock to use as a second cook pot and lid.

COOKING LUNCH OVER THE FIRE

I started with a twig fire, complete with three times the prep, tinder bundle of birch bark and wood shavings (made with my Gerber BGUSK), platform and brace made out of what seemed like petrified pine. (The axe at the cottage had a broken haft so I didn't use it, and the wood in the wood pile was way to hard to baton with my knife, so I needed LOTS of smaller branches to get enough coals to cook over. So much for my split wood fire!)

Knee high flames in no time, just had to wait for some coals

Prepping lunch of potato and leek soup (I used my CRKT Mt. Rainier folder to prep about 10-12 small-medium Yukon Gold potatoes chopped to about half an inchish, as well as everything but the woody green parts of three leeks) cooked in chicken broth (2 lrg tetra packs) and a little lake water, with 3 shallots and S&P, foil steamed chicken breast, steelhead trout and freshly caught small mouth bass. (all the meat was cooked in foil with butter and shallots. The chicken and trout got S&P, and the bass got stuffed with lemon pepper seasoning.) I also made Bisquick instant butter milk biscuits, but there wasn't enough room over the fire to bake them and still have everything ready at the same time.

Cooking over the fire: I pounded the chicken breast so it was about the same thickness as the fish, but put it directly above the coals so it would get a more direct heat.

Soup and biscuits ready to serve... Notice the improvised cook pot and lid? ;)

Dig in girls!

YUM-O!! We used a little grated smoked gouda, along with S&P, for garnish. Everything turned out perfectly! :D

Here's the You Tube videos from lunch:

The Prep

Almost ready to eat

SATURDAY NIGHT CAMPFIRE

And here's our Saturday night campfire, made with split cedar and a tinder bundle of cedar shavings and birch bark. I used the same process as above, with a platform and brace.

And here's a bit of video

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Girls Fishing Weekend

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:50 pm

I also found some chaga in a birch tree, but it was damp so I didn't use it to start my fire, but did char some in a tin for use for my next fire and threw some in a bag (along with cedar shavings and chips and a little birch bark) to add to my son's tinder bundle. ;)

Last edited by bacpacjac on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Diesel2
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them with the slow runners 8-)

Post by Diesel2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Looked like a weekend of fishin', feastin', fire, friends and fun! Your posts are an inspiration, by times. 8-)
Nth90 wrote: "If you look at much of the data posted here things could get bumpy but not eat the household cat bumpy."

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:35 am

Let that chaga dry and it might work as an uncharred natural tinder for traditional flint and steel or a firesteel. If yea want to push the chaga thing to its natural conclusion both chaga tea and incense will be required. Is it my imagination or are the women up north more action packed than what I got around my AO.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Medic73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Medic73 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:37 pm

That sure looked like a lot of fun and now I'm hungry!

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Looks great!

One thing I'd add to your fishing kit (didn't see it mentioned) would be a good strong set of angled side cutters (dikes).

As someone who recently had to push a treble through their hand and then cut off the barb to get the mess out, I was very happy to have them in the bag. Sounds worse than it is, and actually felt a LOT better than ripping the barbs back out which I've done in the past.

Oh yes, and superglue. Does great on the plastics after they've been torn up by fish, and also seals puncture wounds nicely. :v:

YMMV.

NXP

Return to “Bug Out Gear”