Cooksets??

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

survivalkitmag
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Cooksets??

Post by survivalkitmag » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:37 pm

I am currently loving the Tatonka "Handle Mug" which is stainless steel with folding handles.

The killer point is that it fits a Nalgene like a GLOVE.

http://www.survivalkitmag.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:40 pm

I'll third the MSI dualist even when going solo I love the pot it's large enough to boil enough water to rehydrate your noms, have a warm drink, and clean up whatever you have left. Plus the bowls and cups are nice to have for extra water collection if need be. I have one for my backpacking and BOB I use it along with my MSR pocket rocket. If you get the smallest canister available you can actually store the stove and a fuel bottle inside. Though I always get the large fuel bottles so I keep my alcohol stove back up along with alcohol in there just in case. I also carry a large aluminum pot from REI that holds all my camp kitchen equipment in it.

For my EDC/GHB I carry a surplus USGI cup inside the MOLLE carrying case for it it holds a nice bottle of alcohol (3oz) and my alcohol stove works great actually I could see rolling just one of those if need be, the aluminum cup is light, large, and fits easily on my home made alcohol stoves.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Even an East German canteen with it's tiny 6 oz aluminum cup is better than no metal container when you want to boil water over a fire. With that tiny cup you could certainly boil enough water to keep hydrated. Tedious but possible. There are, of course, ways to boil water without a metal container... But no really good ways.

I used to use the gsi glacier bottle cup and the olicamp space saver cup with my Nalgene bottles while backpacking. I still do, but I generally am just using it as a mug in addition to a cookset.

Of those two the gsi glacier bottle cup was better. The olicamp ones kept cracking at the top lip. I really liked the olicamp's graduations etched into the cup, but did not like the fact that several of them failed me.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:18 pm

111t wrote:Of those two the gsi glacier bottle cup was better. The olicamp ones kept cracking at the top lip. I really liked the olicamp's graduations etched into the cup, but did not like the fact that several of them failed me.
Pour measured amounts of cold water into the cup. Use a Sharpie to mark the graduations at the condensation lines. Empty and dry the cup, and use a slotted screwdriver and a hammer to make permanent dents at the Sharpie marks.

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

sturmdogg

Post by sturmdogg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:54 am

Anyone have any feedback on this set? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028 ... PDKIKX0DER

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 am

I own the open country 2-5 cup perc which seems to be of very similar construction to the perk in the photo. The only exception being the bail which is absent/unnecessary on a small perc.

My impressions of the version I have is that it is a well designed bit of gear especially in that it is a packable percolator. The spot is very low profile and the dome is lexan. The 2-5 stows a svea 123 perfectly. (Without the perc guts)

The aluminum on mine is very thin gauge. I believe that this decision has more to do with weight than cost. My perc has served me well and though I would prefer a steel or stainless steel perk for use with a wood fire, this is a nice bit of backpacking gear for use on all manner of stoves.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:09 pm

It's not surplus but I've been using a 1.1L and 1.8L mors bush pot from four dog stoves all year. It's light, and bombproof. The price is pretty good.
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:56 pm

My cookset is a hodge podge of items. I will edit with pictures whenever I am able to get some.

I use a Condor 10x4 water bottle pouch, coffee can, Stanley Adventure Steel Cook Set, GSI Steel Water bottle - 32oz, tapered - GSI steel cup. I put the lid for the Stanley cooker in the bottom. The coffee can goes in next, the Stanley nests is it, the water bottle nests in the Stanley, and the cup fits on top. The only issue is the handle of the Stanley must be removed and placed in the small pocket of the pouch.

I also carry a MSR Stowaway pot to use for bigger meals, as well as holding a spare fire kit and spices.

drivepirate

Post by drivepirate » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:43 am

Light and cheap, I use http://www.amazon.com/Stanco-Non-Stick- ... pd_sim_k_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U8 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I also made a pot cozy that cuts way down on cooking time using these instructions. http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582/ul ... -pot-cozy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; cheap.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:06 pm

I am also partial to Alky stoves for two reasons, price of fuel(Cheap) and availability. You can get it at any hardware(SLX) autoparts Store (Heet), or drug store in the country... Below in my is my cheap little kit.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=73914

It uses a Trangia stove and an Evernew stainless pot. I may upgrade that pot to a Titanium some day, but this one has lasted for 20 years of camping, anf I can feed 2 out of it, no problem Also, I know the trend it towards Tall, narrow bucket-like pots, but I prefer a low sided pot because it heats faster and more evenly, and let's say you do want to fry something... How do you do that in the bottom of a tall mug???
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:38 pm

6" Cast iron and my biolite wood stove are in the BoB. The hiking pack has a MSR whisperlite international and the MSR blacklite cookset with a few additions.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:32 pm

.milFox wrote:6" Cast iron...
Winning!

I salute you sir!
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:53 am

.milFox wrote:6" Cast iron and my biolite wood stove are in the BoB. The hiking pack has a MSR whisperlite international and the MSR blacklite cookset with a few additions.
That sounds like a heavy BOB.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:55 am

74 or more wrote:
.milFox wrote:6" Cast iron and my biolite wood stove are in the BoB. The hiking pack has a MSR whisperlite international and the MSR blacklite cookset with a few additions.
That sounds like a heavy BOB.
Closer to an INCH. The biolite means no fuel concerns and the cast iron is nigh undestructible.

Redbad

Post by Redbad » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:23 am

I use a MSR Titan Kettle, an 8" Banks frybake frying pan/dutch oven frybake.com, and a 3 liter MSR Alpine pot. The Frybake weights much less than a cast iron Dutch oven but works the same with similar results (it is possible to make scones, bread, baked fish, and other baked goods in it).

For an ultralight cookset I go with just the Titan Kettle.

The OP said surplus: I would go with a USGI Canteen Cup, the canteen cup stand/stove, and a heavy cover canteen cup lid http://www.heavycoverinc.com/us-militar ... n-cup-lid/, which I have used. You have multiple options for heat -- a twig fire, Esbit/trioxane, or alcohol. The canteen cup can be used to boil water and also to bake food (bring lots of aluminum foil). Everything nests in a USGI molle pouch (along with a 1 liter USGI canteen).

There are a lot of options out there and you are basically limited by your imagination and pocketbook.
KD8EIB

Iwan_

Post by Iwan_ » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:43 pm

And here is my cookset :P

Tatonka Sherpa 0,6l and 1,0l + Tatonka Small Plate
+ Tatonka Alcohol burner ( fit ideal in my 4HEAT Wood Stove v.2 - 25$ on ebay )

And for that is also LMF Titanium spork, STS small spoon, INOX knife, salt and pepper , cutting boar ( small elastic) chopsticks :P

Return to “Bug Out Gear”