There is a MBO Contest going on... What's Your Excuse?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Medic73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Medic73 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Come on everyone, the 2013 Summer MBO Contest is going on right now and there have only been a few that have entered.

If I can get out there on a day like today when it's 97 to 98 degrees, What's Your Excuse?

Don't let me put you to shame! :lol:

Medic73 - Pushin' On

cap6888

Re: There is a MBO Contest going on... What's Your Excuse?

Post by cap6888 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Work, kids, school and sports starting. :gonk:

Not that it will be a MBO, but tying to plan a camping trip with both kids. My son as a Cub Scout camping trip planned for the end of September.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:52 pm

I will remind people that babies and by that we are talking about actual babies have participated. In light of that what can be said. :lol:
bacpacjac wrote: The Guts along with bacpacbaby's small diaper bag and her child carrier
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Action.Jackson

Post by Action.Jackson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 am

My excuse is that every spare day I have to hike or be outside I spend by training to summit Mt. Rainier. Normally by climbing 10,000 ft up to Camp Muir.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:26 am

No excuses from ZSC45. We had a chapter MBO/Bachelor party/food drive over a weekend in late July in a 100 degree day :)

We just think it's cheating to post it to the MBO contest when you bring a whole chapter of peeps (plus the veteran's group from the local university) along with full sized gas grills and enough food to feed 30+ people, 10+ coolers, 30+ cases of beer, an unknown number of liquor bottles, and enough firearms to arm a platoon. No one was hurt during the making of this epic event! Hell we even had a solar generator powered sound system!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:59 pm

NamelessStain wrote:No excuses from ZSC45. We had a chapter MBO/Bachelor party/food drive over a weekend in late July in a 100 degree day :)
Pics or it didn't happen. :wink:
EDIT TO ADD:
Seriously though, somebody make a formal MBO post so the rest of us don't have to lurk in the ZS:45 forum to see what an epice time you guys had.
Last edited by Boondock on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:46 pm

My excuses
-work
-more work
-study
-assesment
-wet season
-one has a death wish to be hiking in summer here
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 pm

bacpacboy and I just got back from an overnighter. bacpacdad and bacpacbaby dropped us off at our local Provincial Park for 24 hours of fun in the woods. It was our first one-on-one camp out in over a year, including almost two summers. :D

Special shout out to Brian at wyominglostandfound! We used the tarp teepee he made and donated to the 2012 Fall Mock Bug-out Contest as our shelter and it ROCKED! I loved it! Thanks again Brian! (I'll do a separate review in another thread as soon I get some pictures uploaded.)
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Good job. You shamed me into writing up my only overnighter of the summer.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 pm

waiting for the water to go down!This was in my drive way.Lived out here for25 years and seen some interesting thing,but never a gator
Last edited by buck85 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm on maternity leave and my son has been on summer vacation for the past couple of months, so I am blessed with time right now. I'm trying to make the most of it by getting out every chance I get, BUT, I know that I'm the exception to the rule. Nonetheless, I've got a ten year old, a seven month old, a hubby with a crazy work schedule, and only one family vehicle. It's tough. I get it.

Speaking of rules, did you realize that the rules for this contest say that you don't have to do an overnighter?
bacpacjac wrote:

THE RULES:

1. Death = Disqualification, so don't die.

2: A journey of at least an hour without motor transport. Walk, bike, canoe, ride a llama - whatever. Infil / exfil by motor vehicle is OK. Exceptions are possible but that will be up to the judges.

3: Use as much or as little gear as you want, but remember rule 2.

4: Pics or it didn't happen. Video is a nice bonus but not necessary. In the event of tech failure, appeal to the judges' sense of fair play.

5: Overnight stay desirable but not essential. All reports judged on individual merit.

6. "Success" is not a pre-requisite for a MBO report. Failure, reported honestly, has the potential to teach better lessons.

7. Multiple entries are allowed but only the best judged entry will actually count. No single person can win first, second and third place. Group entries might grant an exception but that will be up to the judges.
And did I mention that there are prizes?
bacpacjac wrote: PRIZES: we need more donations, please!

..............Genuine Swedish Mess Kit (Thanks to TacAir)
..............Frontier Filter Straw (Thanks to bacpacjac)
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:41 am

Boondock wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:No excuses from ZSC45. We had a chapter MBO/Bachelor party/food drive over a weekend in late July in a 100 degree day :)
EDIT TO ADD:
Seriously though, somebody make a formal MBO post so the rest of us don't have to lurk in the ZS:45 forum to see what an epice time you guys had.
SCBrian has a link to the flickr account on this page: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I figured out Secretary would make an entry, but it was his bachelor party and he has been swamped with the wedding plans. So we forgive him :)
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:02 pm

NamelessStain wrote:SCBrian has a link to the flickr account on this page: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw that, looked fantastic.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:53 pm

buck85 wrote:waiting for the water to go down!This was in my drive way.Lived out here for25 years and seen some interesting thing,but never a gator

LOL
I know we got skeeters up here big enough to carry off a small dog, but having gators in the yard takes the prize!

My excuse? It's The Wet. Rains every day, except when it pours. Its the cold, drizzily, foggy kind of rain as well. A MBO should be fun - and I'm hoping to get my urban MBO done before freeze up. Shudda done something while I was in SoAz, but the monsoon was in full force....something about rain this year, I guess.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Medic73

Post by Medic73 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Well, how was your Labor Day Weekend? Did anyone get out there and camp and work on another MBO Contest Entry?

I've got prior commitments on 2 of the remaining weekends that the contest will still be open, but I'd like to squeak in one more MBO Entry.

So... how 'bout you?

Medic73

ViolentKooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by ViolentKooter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 pm

My excuse for not getting out until a few days ago was professional school - but I managed to break away for a 2 night endeavor over my 5 day labor day weekend :awesome: My excuse for not completing a write-up yet is also professional school :cry: Don't worry, it'll make it up here sometime - maybe tomorrow? Have to remember how to upload pictures to photobucket first :oops: Keep an eye out if anyone is interested!

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Medic73 wrote:Did anyone get out there and camp and work on another MBO Contest Entry?
Not at all. I puttered around the house, went to the park with my wife and son, ate grilled steaks and drank beer. But in a few days ... :wink:

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:26 pm

bacpacbaby and I got out for a few hours today. :D

Medic73

Post by Medic73 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Bacpacjac, she is soooo cute!

I think I might just go do another walk-a-bout tomorrow after my Physical Therapy.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
Boondock wrote:
EDIT TO ADD:
SCBrian has a link to the flickr account on this page: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I figured out Secretary would make an entry, but it was his bachelor party and he has been swamped with the wedding plans. So we forgive him :)
I'm the Secretary? Shit, I'm still trying to sober up. Regardless, SC Brian had wicked pics...but the real MBO started once the guns were put up. Anyone who survived that Bach-party deserves a medal...and probably an IV :crazy:
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:33 pm

I attribute my survival to very experienced drinking buddies and the fact that I was in a chair. Doc's food made an important contribution as well. I gotta go easier on liquor that is of indeterminant proof.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Medic73

Post by Medic73 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:36 pm

I didn't make it back out this afternoon as I wanted to for another Walk-About MBO. They are working me much harder in Physical Therapy now, which is a good thing, but (stand by for a lame excuse...) my lower back went into some severe spasms today during and after therapy. :gonk:

So, here I am, stuck in bed (again), taking some Naproxen Sodium (Genaric Aleve) and using a heating pad for the pain and hoping the spasm go away and don't cause my lower back problems to really flare up again like a few years ago. Last time it really flared up, I was down for about three weeks and I sure don't want/need that.

The good news today was that I walked 5 minutes on the treadmill plus all my regular PT. But I think that is what set off my back.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 pm

None...as Redeyes, Namelessstain, and Omega man already stated, "We rocked the 'bama". Thanks for the props on the "Mars Curiosity Rover" Nameless...it was nice to see it get it's first real field test, and it performed with shining colors! While our Spring MBO trumped all group MBO in recent ZS history (we built a real huck-finn raft for crying out loud), while this wasn't a MBO by all means, there was plenty of quality firearms training and just good ol' brotherly companionship (coupled with some mean shine...).

Speaking of the mars curiosity rover, a few upgrades have been made for her next journey:

ImageImage

Added a CB to the inside with an external fire stick. A quick splice job to an old DC charger, and she was in business. Also drilled a hole out for one of the ext. cords to stay outside the box.
Last edited by angelofwar on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Redeyes wrote:I attribute my survival to very experienced drinking buddies and the fact that I was in a chair. Doc's food made an important contribution as well. I gotta go easier on liquor that is of indeterminant proof.
You were pretty bad off redeyes...good thing I had those rehydration salts in my FAK...that's mbo enough, right?
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Return to “Bug Out Gear”