Litefighter tents

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Litefighter tents

Post by greenbeetle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Re: Litefighter tents

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:00 pm

$310 for a tacti-cool rainfly? If you want to carry a five pound tent you can carry one for a lot less money.

Try this:

Available in 1, 2 and 4 person sizes.

http://gearx.com/alps-mountaineering-lynx-tent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 am

Seems way too heavy, 5 lbs for a one man tent? eek!

I'm also a bit perplexed by the Scout model they advertise, I thought scouts slept in pairs or triplets so they could share the weight of the shelter. Outfitting your den with these would have every kid carrying a 5 lbs load instead of sharing that load amongst 2 or 3 people.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 am

Unless someone in the military knows of this company, and corrects my thinking, I really want to throw the caution flag on this one.

I never heard of Lightfighter as a company before. Eureka is the tent company that makes tents for the military ( http://military.eurekatents.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). The Lightfoot website also mentions
The LiteFighter 1 has successfully protected thousands of Warfighters during CONUS Field Training, Emergency Response Missions, and while deployed to multiple hot spots around the world.
It doesn't say US Soldiers, but "warfighters" and CONUS is the basically America. The company is based out of VA, and it seems they sell to US military personnel but noting in there about having a contract with the US military or that the products are US made.

Also other than the camo pattern, its a basic 1 man tent, that very similar in design to civilian versions that you can get for almost half the price. Also that design isn't a 4 season design, its only 3 season. If it turns out to be a good, well made tent, get it, but I would consider the price just a tad high. However unless someone with experience says otherwise, it could also be a cheap, Chinese made tent, in camo, and these guys are importing them and slapping on a $300 price tag.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:42 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
The LiteFighter 1 has successfully protected thousands of Warfighters during CONUS Field Training ...
I'm gonna guess this translates to: Testing to try to to win a government contract.

Not saying it's a bad tent or company, though, but I get the feeling there's as good or better tents already on the market for that price tag.

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Unless someone in the military knows of this company, and corrects my thinking, I really want to throw the caution flag on this one.
Caution is warranted. I checked my Manta account (about as accurate as Wikipedia...) which lists LiteFighter Systems, LLC as a company with "5 employees or less" and as a "Non-manufacturing Distributor".

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:Seems way too heavy, 5 lbs for a one man tent? eek!

I'm also a bit perplexed by the Scout model they advertise, I thought scouts slept in pairs or triplets so they could share the weight of the shelter. Outfitting your den with these would have every kid carrying a 5 lbs load instead of sharing that load amongst 2 or 3 people.
As a Boy Scout leader, you're right. We try to split the weight between Scouts for troop gear like tents. One Scout has the tent body and fly, the other poles, stakes and ground cloth.

This is way too heavy for a single person tent.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 am

DarkandShiny wrote:
Caution is warranted. I checked my Manta account (about as accurate as Wikipedia...) which lists LiteFighter Systems, LLC as a company with "5 employees or less" and as a "Non-manufacturing Distributor".
Yep that is what I thought. Reminds me of Claytor's Mosquito Hammocks. Basically they are Hammock Shelters made in a factory in Thailand and shipped to a guy working out of his home in PA. Not that there is anything wrong with what Tom Claytor does, he basically designed a hammock shelter, contracted an overseas factory with his design and presto, he has a product to sell.
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However looking at the litefighter tent, it looks like they simply took an existing tent design and just changed the color scheme, and doubled the price. These tents could be made in the same factory as their civilian versions, or even worse they are being made in some other factory that also makes bootleg Northface Fleece Jackets, and knockoff Uggs. The weight thing really makes me think its a knockoff. A tent that size should weigh 3lb, maybe 4lb max. Cheaper Coleman or Ozark Trail tents are usually heavy, because cheap fabric and plastic coatings add weight.

For $100 I would consider buying one to check it out, but no way would I take the chance at $300.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:25 pm

For that price they should include the ground cloth and the cot.

I sort of like the concept of the cot, not that I think I would ever use one like it, but the idea is cool. But for that price and weight that cot should be included.

I do have to say I like that camo options they have.

I really hate all the bright color tents. When I am out camping I want my shelter to blend in, not because I want to be tacticool, just because I want to enjoy nature and not have a big orange blue or yellow tent catching my eyes and reminding me how out of place it is.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:45 pm

It is neat but by no means a new concept.I like my single person jansport just fine.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

sgthammers

Post by sgthammers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:25 am

It just so happens that I was issued one of these tents in June (CA National Guard). I'll pull it out of my gear and post pics and a review. As I make tactical gear on the side, I'll take a good look at the build quality as well.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:28 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Manimal2878 wrote:Seems way too heavy, 5 lbs for a one man tent? eek!

As a Boy Scout leader, you're right. We try to split the weight between Scouts for troop gear like tents. One Scout has the tent body and fly, the other poles, stakes and ground cloth.

This is way too heavy for a single person tent.
If you could do every servicemember a favor and submit that in writing to DOD, that would be great. We tried continuously to convince the battalion that there was nothing wrong with that, but noooo they weren't having none of it.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

WhiskeyAlphaSixNiner

Post by WhiskeyAlphaSixNiner » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 am

I actually bought one of the dual Vestibule models in MultiCam last summer & absolutely love it. Military grade tents are almost always going to run heavier than civilian made models simply because they are constructed out of more robust materials to absorb some of the abuse & hard wear they're going to have inflicted on them. There are very few tents made in the MultiCam pattern & all of them are on the slightly more expensive side (a 3-Person model available in the UK) to ridiculously expensive like the Alaska Tent & Tarp Company's "Arctic Oven" models.

I traded a few emails with the company before I made my purchase. They offered me a modest discount for my prior service (I am retired from both the Army Reserves & State Highway Patrol where I live). The company is a very small family owned one that qualifies as a Disabled Veterans Business. It is owned by a man & his 2 sons, all of whom are veterans (both of the boys served in the recent conflicts in Iraq & Afghanistan if memory serves me correctly). I feel that all of us need to support those who have served, especially those who have been disabled because of that Service. That was one of the major reasons I purchased the tent from them. They had the tent shipped out to me the same day I ordered it & it arrived about 4 or 5 days later. The shipping charges were only $6.

I've had occasion to use the tent several times last summer & fall. I'm not one to fret about a few extra ounces in my pack as long as the equipment is of good quality & robust. It is very roomy for a single person tent, is very well engineered & well constructed. I used on a couple trips where it rained hard .... no leaks or build up of condensation at all.

It is not really suited for camping in sub zero temps .... it is a 3 season tent, but that's fine by me. I'd rather lug around a larger shelter in the winter. One of the features I liked best besides the 2 roomy vestibules is the availability of alternative Camo patterns or colors of the tent's fly. To say that ime extremely pleased with this tent would be an understatement. It is an outstanding piece of gear. Money well spent.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I would pay good money for an earth tone or multicam two man tent in the sub 5lb range. I personally can't stand all the ridiculous tent colors. But not for a one person tent that weighs 5lbs. To much weight.

To bad. It's a great idea. Should have just paid a little more attention to weight. It doesn't need to be that heavy to serve someone well. At 5lbs it should be 4 season. But most of us don't need a 4 season tent.

This is a really great idea. Just poorly executed. Weight is always an issue. Maybe they will come out with a revised 2 man version in the 5lb weight area. I hope he didn't buy a thousand of these. He may be sitting on them for awhile.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm not seeing "made in USA" or "berry compliant" anywhere on the site, so definitely made over-seas. multicam and kryptek are the only thing remotely unique about that tent. between the vague sales pitch, exaggerated numbers, and laughably bad photoshopping (click on "product features") I'd stay the hell away.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:33 pm

I am another who is bother by brightly colored tents. Before deciding to stick with my basha I found that REI and campmoor had a few tents in reasonable colors at reasonable prices, such as the Now if you wanted to spend $300 you could get the imported, 3 lbs. 10 oz Nemo in "Earth" so I suppose Litefighters tent prices are not totally out of whack.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:57 am

WhiskeyAlphaSixNiner wrote:I actually bought one of the dual Vestibule models in MultiCam last summer & absolutely love it.......To say that ime extremely pleased with this tent would be an understatement. It is an outstanding piece of gear. Money well spent.
Gee WA69er, thanks for making your first and only post on ZS a detailed review of this tent.

Why don't you post something about yourself on the intro page, or are you just a shill?

To the rest of the readers, Alps Mountaineering makes some pretty earth toned tents. They also fabricate the line of Browning hunting tents that are colored like boulders but weigh just as much.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:54 am

moab wrote:I would pay good money for an earth tone or multicam two man tent in the sub 5lb range. I personally can't stand all the ridiculous tent colors. But not for a one person tent that weighs 5lbs. To much weight.
Amen. Kind of why I've gone the way of the tarp. I have a Multicam and OD tarp that I use regularly and a new coyote one that I'm going to use the next time I go out. But sometimes I do miss my tent.

Both my tents are earth tone/camo (Snugpack and USMC) but one is a PITA and the other is heavy as hell.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Kommander wrote:I am another who is bother by brightly colored tents. Before deciding to stick with my basha I found that REI and campmoor had a few tents in reasonable colors at reasonable prices, such as the Now if you wanted to spend $300 you could get the imported, 3 lbs. 10 oz Nemo in "Earth" so I suppose Litefighters tent prices are not totally out of whack.
I found a coyote brown Nemo tent on the REI outlet site. Happened to be made in USA too. It weighs 5ish lbs also, but since its 6 feet tall and has 77 square feet (not counting the vestabule) I figure that's a better deal. Not really a tent guy, but $150 is a small price to keep the wife happy.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

len

Post by len » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:24 pm

My unit issued this tent to us in SEP 2013. It does have an NSN. I don't know where it's made or much about the company. We lived in this tent for 3 weeks straight in Ft. Stewart during a joint/training FTX. We had this attached to our cots and it kept myself and my gear dry from the isolated thunderstorms. Ventilation is better than the Eureka's (ACU Pattern) thanks to both the doors having no-see-em screens. Each side is a mirror of each other. It has a spot to put your name tape as well. I didn't have any issues with the quality. I slept with my M4 and there were plenty of time that I snagged the tent while entering or exiting and I didn't notice any rips or tears. I would rate the quality on par with some of the major tent manufacturers out there.

For personal use, I have a NEMO Obi 1P Elite tent.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”