5.11 or LBT

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

5.11 or LBT

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:08 pm

i have the choices between lbt multi mission or 5.11 tactical rush 72 and i am not sure what to go with as my main bag. i like lbt for made in america but i sacrifice some space. thoughts and photos?
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: 5.11 or LBT

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:39 pm

I've had no good experiences with 5.11. The shirts last a bit, although heavy. Anything that receives wear and tear doesn't last though. Boots, pants, packs, they all suck.

Nickthezombiehunter

Post by Nickthezombiehunter » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:25 pm

I am a 5.11 fan and have nothing but good experiences with their products. So I'm voting for the rush 72 since I just purchased one for myself. Which is the reason I'm here, use promo code NIKKIT30 to save 30% off your order. Puts the bag at $125 before tax and free shipping from the 5.11 website. I ordered the Tac OD and the molle H20 carrier and med kit in tac OD come to $7 each with that code. But only the Tac OD are this cheap, not sure if its a sale or what. So mainly I came by to share my code with you to save a bunch of money if you did go down the 5.11 route.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 am

I have a LBT 3 day assault pack, and the thing has been almost bomb proof... Right up until I used it as a rest for my M1A and blew a hole in it with the muzzle blast (yeah, Im a dumbass). However, that's going on a year and a half from that event, and the hole has not gotten any bigger, frayed, or ripped at all. Solid pack.

I believe often they are very expensive as far as gear goes, but I didn't pay for my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

5.11 or LBT

Post by Manliest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 am

I have the LBT multi mission ruck. With a few modifications, it's as close to perfect for my EDC needs as I've found. It's a BIG pack, much bigger than the RUSH 72 Ive handled. With the accessory pockets, it's easily equivalent to a large ALICE, though I dislike the frame sheet and belt.

I've only had a patrol bag from 5.11, and handled their gear in the store. It's tactical Jansport compared to LBT.

Hiker72

Post by Hiker72 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Been using the 5.11 72 for a couple of years and have had no complaints.
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:02 pm

I consider 5.11 with high esteem. However, I mainly like their MOLLE pouches for the slick stick system, the bag designs (typically) don't blow me away*. I don't have any personal experience with the LBT bag, but I know they are considered a higher class of kit. I have to say LBT for this one, save 5.11 for pouches.

*I just picked up a 5.11 Wingman patrol bag for a range bag a few weeks ago, and so far, I like it, but it's not a pack, it's a patrol bag which I'm pushing into the role of a range bag.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:23 pm

I cordially detest my Rush72 as a BOB or hiking bag, but love it for a kick around commuter pack. Can't beat the organization, but the suspension stinks on ice for me. I've many times wanted to sell it, but then 'd lose my current gear holder and would have to buy a roughneck bin to replace it. Right now it's not a BOB, it's just holding all my prepper junk.

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:38 am

No experience with LBT but from the price difference I wonder if we're comparing apples and oranges. We just started carrying 5.11 packs at the store. 5.11 may be stretching their street cred thin in their clothing at the moment but from what I can see their packs are very well constructed and well designed.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:12 am

LBT is far and beyond 5.11 in terms of quality, I think most would agree. I'm not a 5.11 hater, by any means. They make decent clothing and gear, which will suit some missions perfectly. LBT is just in another league, top tier gear.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:08 pm

I've had the 5.11 Rush 72 for a few months, and it seems like it would hold up to some abuse. Haven't yet tested that theory, but I've begun loading it up, and it's been taking everything without issue. The affordability of 5.11 vs. LBT would be a sticking point for me, I guess. Yeah, yeah, we want quality and all that...but half price is a big damned difference!

5.11 reviews sure to seem to be hot or cold without much in between. :vmad:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Beowolf wrote: 5.11 reviews sure to seem to be hot or cold without much in between. :vmad:
I think part of the problem is how what is used. Chill at a desk most of the time with short bursts of doing stuff? 5.11 is perfect. Do a lot of moving around/sweating/work? 5.11 is not a good option, unless you get in on the super cheap deals. Just my experience forming my opinion, and it should be noted that while I have had many 5.11 items fail, I have had a couple stand up to all the same abuse and are still usable. I've also spent more on non-5.11 and never had a failure. Personal cost/benefit to be used.

congochris

Post by congochris » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:48 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:
Beowolf wrote: 5.11 reviews sure to seem to be hot or cold without much in between. :vmad:
I think part of the problem is how what is used. Chill at a desk most of the time with short bursts of doing stuff? 5.11 is perfect. Do a lot of moving around/sweating/work? 5.11 is not a good option, unless you get in on the super cheap deals. Just my experience forming my opinion, and it should be noted that while I have had many 5.11 items fail, I have had a couple stand up to all the same abuse and are still usable. I've also spent more on non-5.11 and never had a failure. Personal cost/benefit to be used.
I think you may be spot on there. Trying to use mine for a "tactical" pack makes me sad. Cubicle rat EDC bag? Perfect.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:
Glad to hear it can be contingent on use. I don't anticipate using the BOB all that often. ;) But it seems like it should be able to hold up to a good beating every fifth blue moon or something. Hope so.

Now if I could just find a reliable, versatile, and non-tacticool EDC bag.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Beowolf wrote:
MaconCJ7 wrote:
Glad to hear it can be contingent on use. I don't anticipate using the BOB all that often. ;) But it seems like it should be able to hold up to a good beating every fifth blue moon or something. Hope so.

Now if I could just find a reliable, versatile, and non-tacticool EDC bag.
Define tacticool? I see MOLLE webbing on walmart's "back to school" stuff, have for years. With the number of airsoft kiddies, police, returning military, and surplus gear outlets out there, "tacticool" doesn't mean anything anymore.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Something that won't encourage paranoia on a college campus or among my coworkers on said college campus. Nothing wrong with MOLLE, but lots of the 'tactical' bags look like straight up military packs to most people. Trying to avoid that.
-
ZS Wiki

congochris

Post by congochris » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:12 pm

You're in Colorado, right? Never had any funny looks with mine here, but in the springs we have a sizeable .mil and former mil continent. Results in boulder and similar environs will likely differ.

sent from a malfunctioning Swype keyboard.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Yep, big difference in population. :) I'd also like to stick it on my motorcycle and travel around without feeling like it's a standout.

OP, sorry for the little derail we have going here. :oops:
-
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Beowolf wrote:Yep, big difference in population. :) I'd also like to stick it on my motorcycle and travel around without feeling like it's a standout.

OP, sorry for the little derail we have going here. :oops:
Take or or leave it, but I think too many people get scared of "tacticool." Most people just don't notice, or if they do they won't give it any thought.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:34 pm

It is kinda noticeable to someone in the know, though. I spot 5.11 pants all the time, and spotted a Goruck pack yesterday on a dude from across a two lane street.
If I were being the bad guy, I'd avoid everything, even avoid a pocket clipped folder. Good thing I'm not. :grin:

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:11 am

Manliest wrote:It is kinda noticeable to someone in the know, though. I spot 5.11 pants all the time, and spotted a Goruck pack yesterday on a dude from across a two lane street.
If I were being the bad guy, I'd avoid everything, even avoid a pocket clipped folder. Good thing I'm not. :grin:
Yeah. I notice IT guys wearing them all the time. Why? Because they are comfortable and have lots of pockets. IT guys like pockets. They either invented cargo pants, or were one of the first professional users. I see skaters walking around in camo all the time, but I never assume they're former SEALS. You're better off making assumptions with body language than you are with attire.

GearJedi

Post by GearJedi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 pm

LOVE mine! 5.11 makes a pretty good product.. I think

Got it here: http://www.chiefsupply.com/5-11-tactica ... packs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thought the price was fair.. seen it for a little less but they treat me good.

I like the straps they are very comfortable compared to some other tactical packs I've tried

Return to “Bug Out Gear”