Any Maxpedition Falcon II users out there?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Shadoq

Any Maxpedition Falcon II users out there?

Post by Shadoq » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Hey guys,
So...my soon to be ex took off with my Condor LVL 3 bag that was my go to EDC bag. That's ok, it gives me an excuse to further my gear ADD :clap:

Thinking about grabbing up a Maxpedition Falcon II as a replacement with a Proteus pack locked on to the bottom.

I'm also going to Hawaii in about a month to see a deploying friend and do some relaxation and was thinking these would be great for out there.

The only dings I've seen against this pack are the lack of a quality waist belt (Proteus's belt helps out there) and the lack of an internal frame (Was thinking of cutting some plastic and making my own frame sheet of sorts).

Anyone else out there use a setup like this?

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Re: Any Maxpedition Falcon II users out there?

Post by Dragon80 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 pm

I have several friends who run the Falcon II and IMO it can hold more than the yoke/suspension is capable of. If you got a piece of .080 kydex and cut it to act as an interior frame then it would definitely help. Filling it with gear AND a hydration bladder really shows its true weakness as well. Also if I were you, buy the knock-off Proteus as its quality is on par (I've owned the KZ and the Maxpedition) and they're normally around $20-25 which is way cheaper. For what you'll be doing with the Proteus, it's probably money better spent somewhere else if you buy the knock-off. Just make sure to get some Malice Clips if you're going to molle it onto the Falcon II, everything else is subpar (I've used 4 different molle clips/straps and Malice work the best on it.).

Hope this helps.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Shadoq

Post by Shadoq » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Dragon,
Thank you for the response.
As far as a knock off, which are you referring to? Condor?

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:22 pm

I got mine from BotachTactical.com a long time ago and I think it was made by KZ. Not sure if they're still around.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:28 pm

I use one for bike riding. Non-internal frame packs are just shit for anything over about 15 pounds max in my opinion. If you want to carry more than that weight, get a proper pack. It's just one of those things you can't cheap out on. The falcon will hold weight and not rip, but it will not be comfortable or stable(and that is important to me anyway). My falcon II holds a 2 or 3 L bladder, snacks, blow out kit and that is all. It frankly isn't designed for serious weight.

It's harder to find tac type packs with internal frames. I got an osprey hiking pack (um, since that's what I do :lol: ) and haven't looked back. The material on it has held up to many years worth of hikes here in the Rocky Mountains. I don't baby it.

Just my 2c. I do like maxped stuff because it has worked for me. I edc a sitka for example. Just be realistic in usage. If you are a person who wants to mod it up, go for it. I've found moving to civilian style serious hike bags work way better for weight over 15 pounds.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Shadoq

Post by Shadoq » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:53 am

I had looked at a couple other packs, namely the TAD Litespeed and the ATS Raid II.

I went against the Litespeed because at the price they're going for I might as well drink the Kifaru Kool Aid .

As far as the Raid goes, I used to be but I'm not anymore a fan of the 1 large pocket concept. I know you can get organizers inside but still not what I'm looking for.

As mentioned this pack would be for EDC as necessary and the occasional day hike, kayak trip, outdoorsy thing. Also, I wanted the pack to fit UNDER airline seats. I HATE fighting for overhead space with some of the other not so nice people I've run into. Just easier to shove it under my seat and have quick access in flight. So with that said, I can't really see myself pushing more than 15 pounds. At most, a camera, some water, little bit of food, very basic emergency stuff, and a multitool.

Too bad Maxped doesn't do Ranger Green...

DarkGhost
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DarkGhost » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:13 pm

I have a Falcon II and love it, check it out here...
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtop ... urn false;

:clownshoes:
Last edited by DarkGhost on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vita brevis, Gloria aeterna

DarkGhost's Go Bag

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Shadoq wrote:I had looked at a couple other packs, namely the TAD Litespeed and the ATS Raid II.

I went against the Litespeed because at the price they're going for I might as well drink the Kifaru Kool Aid .

As far as the Raid goes, I used to be but I'm not anymore a fan of the 1 large pocket concept. I know you can get organizers inside but still not what I'm looking for.

As mentioned this pack would be for EDC as necessary and the occasional day hike, kayak trip, outdoorsy thing. Also, I wanted the pack to fit UNDER airline seats. I HATE fighting for overhead space with some of the other not so nice people I've run into. Just easier to shove it under my seat and have quick access in flight. So with that said, I can't really see myself pushing more than 15 pounds. At most, a camera, some water, little bit of food, very basic emergency stuff, and a multitool.

Too bad Maxped doesn't do Ranger Green...
ah all your talk about a belt and internal frame threw me off. Ya, for the uses you just mentioned you will love it.

Had a lightspeed; sold it (for almost what I paid for it... weirdos). Great pack, wanted to go back to a sling for edc (what I mostly used it for).
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Return to “Bug Out Gear”