Hanging a Hammock, and other hammock questions.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Hanging a Hammock, and other hammock questions.

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 am

figured out the hanging problem, now I'm looking for at how do you sleep in your hammock without getting a chill. Thanks all
***************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sounds like such a simple thing right? Well leave it to me to want to DIY something that can be had for relatively cheap.

Question One: What does everyone use?

Question Two: Does anyone DIY their own hanging set up. If so what do you use?

I tried to make my own with a fairly simple yet effective tool. The double bar slide. What is it? It's that nifty little slide that you probably use everyday but never think twice about. That's right that cool plastic buckle thing that tightens the webbing in your pack. Well the problem is..... It's plastic. Plastic will not hold up to rigorous use or the tension needed to keep the hammock taunt (trust me, I tried). So my last and final question is this.

Question Three: Does anyone know of any metal HEAVY duty double bar slides? I've found metal ones but they look flimsy and pathetic.

Thanks for the input in advance!
Last edited by Halfapint on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Hanging a Hammock...?

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:10 am

I use limb saver straps. You could use any straps. To hook the straps to the hammock I've used the screw type carbiners I got from lowes. I have one hammock set up that I have less than $40 in. Grand Truk hammock, limbsavers and carabiners.
I hung in this one down to 30* with a poncho liner. Not comfortable but not impossible.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

irukandji

Post by irukandji » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 am

Probably looking for something like this to adjust the straps (if you're using them)?

http://dutchwaregear.com/cinch-buckle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:48 am

irukandji wrote:Probably looking for something like this to adjust the straps (if you're using them)?

http://dutchwaregear.com/cinch-buckle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
irukandji nailed it. Although heavier than a whoopee sling, I like the webbing and cinch buckle; it's just very fast for set up and take down.

ROCK6

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:54 am

I have whoopie slings for all of my hammocks, and highly recommend them...fast, easy strong!

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 am

Before I got ENO Slap Straps, I used one inch webbing and knots.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:19 am

irukandji wrote:Probably looking for something like this to adjust the straps (if you're using them)?

Those are exactly what I was looking for! I knew the good folks here on ZS could help. I've looked at some online and they all seem really really heavy for some webbing and hardware. I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible because the GF is so small. My normal pack and gear would be about half her body weight, if I remember correctly you want a pack that is about 1/4 a persons body weight so I'm looking at keeping her's at or under 25lbs for a couple days out. And webbing with some buckles only weighs a few ounces. Thanks again!!!

One other question. I have the ENO 2 person hammock has anyone ever tried to buddy up in a hammock over night??? I bought it a number if years ago but haven't tried to sleep two in it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:47 am

If you haven't already, go to hammockforums.net and read through the suspension system pages.

It will give you way a ton of ideas.

After much research and trial and error I have at each end:

about 12 feet of one inch non stretch high test nylon webbing with a loop sewn into one end
the lightest climbing rated carabiner I could find ( I think it is 23 g)
one 6 inch amsteel loop larks headed to the hammock
and two climibing rated descending rings also larksheaded on that same amsteel loop

Basically the webbing is my tree straps and suspension, the webbing goes around the tree and then the carabiner clips back on to the webbing make a loop, the two descending rings act is cinch buckle when the other end of the webbing is woven through them. I can set up and adjust my hammock in about 30 seconds without tying a knot. And it is adjustable right up to the edge of the hammock, something you can't do with whoopie slings.

irukandji

Post by irukandji » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:50 am

Glad I could help. Dutch is well known over on hammock forums and is a solid guy, I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from him and always gotten great service.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

Whoofit

Post by Whoofit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:51 am

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujTzpNLI ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eliminate the metal biners and make some soft shackles with 7/64th Amsteel. Tree huggers too.
I like to think I am Sir Edmund but, in reality, every mountain is Everest to me...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 pm

deleted
Last edited by Halfapint on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halfapint

Re: Hanging a Hammock, and other hammock questions.

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:22 pm

I updated the OP but now I have another question. What do you use to keep yourself warm in your hammock?? I set up the hammock and through my sleeping bag in there and figured I'd be good. But I noticed after a while when a breeze blows by you can get a nice little chill going.

I was thinking that maybe use a thermarest? or maybe a foam pad. I know its been talked about but I cant find any posts about what you sleep on in the hammock. Any ideas would be great! thanks guys

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:51 pm

This is where you read about underquilts and reflectix insulation sheeting. I'm not there yet, personally, I still go to ground when it gets colder. I have an Ecotat bag that zips right around my hammock, but it's not as practical as dedicated hammock stuff.

I use an Eno Doublenest as a solo hammock. It's not big enough for myself and anything but a tiny female, and I'm not into tiny.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Yea, I have the ENO double and my gf just got the single, she is tiny and that thing is almost to small for her and she IS tiny. I'm thinking I might try my thermarest out and see how it works. I dont want to go out to spend a lot of money on new gear right now but hey we'll see what people do on here.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:28 pm

One cheapish thing I've been considering doing is making the hammock into a double layered hammock. Sewing another piece of nylon fabric on the bottom to make a sleeve for a piece of insulation (reflectix or closed cell foam) is pretty easy and should improve function a good bit.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Depending on the temps, you will want to get an underquilt. It hangs under the hammock, snugged up against the bottom but still can loft up. A sleeping bag (as i presume you have discovered) gets crushed between you and the hammock, and loses all its insulating qualities.

Do a search for "underquilt". All shall be revealed. :awesome:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:31 pm

I was really looking at a cheap option haha.... The under quilts look to range from 150-250 from the few retailers I saw, I just cant justify that expense right now. I may try my thermarest and see how that goes. I'm not sure I'm a cheap bastard.

HarperT

Post by HarperT » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm getting ready to buy a Clark Jungle Hammock which the company makes tree straps for, but for the past couple of years I've been using a Byer Moskito hammock that cost me $40 at REI. It has a mosquito net that is permanently affixed to the hammock with a zipper opening on one side. And it only weighs 16 oz. I bought some 4mm rope from a climbing/camping store that dispensed it by yard and tied loops in it at about 12 inch intervals. This way I could just wrap it around the tree and find the loop that best fit and slip it into the carabiner. The caribiners were non-locking climbing variety (Black Diamond, I think) which cost $8 each at REI. If you want to stay warm, put your sleeping pad in the hammock underneath your. If you have an inflatable just don't blow it up quite as much and it will better conform to the shape in your hammock. Also, if you have a bivy sack you can slip over your sleep system inside the hammock it would help eliminate draft from the wind.
Last edited by HarperT on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:38 pm

I use my thermarest in anything in the 40-60 degree range. Its really only when it gets really chilly that an UQ becomes useful. And while a quality underquilt/topquilt combo can get pricey, it isnt really that much more than any standard high-end down sleeping bag.

Check out the for sale section of hammockforums and whiteblaze. I have a couple of awesome quilts i got for pennies on the dollar from those sites. And there are times (very early spring usually) when the 'big' high end manufactureres (warbonnet, Jacks R Better, KAQ, and the like) have sales to dump off their winter inventory. I have a golite topquilt i got at a stupid low price on closeout a year ago, i could double my money even now if i wanted to sell it.

But i dont. :D

ViolentKooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by ViolentKooter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 am

If you wanna be warm and go cheap (which I do too), you can get a cheapo closed cell foam pad, cut it in half, and overlap it for your torso, to get double coverage underneath a little, but also additional shoulder coverage on the sides. I saw it here, http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , but haven't been able to try it yet - can't get out for another few weeks. I'm also not sure how that will translate to having a second person in the hammock.

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 am

Low buck insulation is easy. I use a $6 sleeping bag I picked up at a thrift store and four bungees and use it every year for ZS005's wintergeddon. It works great. Keep your eyes open for a decent sleeping bag at your local thrift store. I sewed a loop of grosgrain ribbon (from the dollar store) on each corner to hold the bungees and hook them to the suspension. Just make sure you don't have any droop under you or you will have a cold spot.
Your greatest adversary hides in your mirror
ZS:OO5 Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/433432705260/

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 pm

This is my personal set up that I plan on using for a AT Thru Hike.

ENO Atlas Straps

ENO Guardian Bug Net

ENO Double Nest Hammock

Guide Gear Emergency Shelter

Therm-A-Rest Z Lite Foam Sleeping Pad

And this under/over quilt
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

boxofrocks
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (not the remake), Day of the Dead, Zombieland and many more.

Post by boxofrocks » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi!

I use a sunbathpad (or what it is called) you throw on the beach for insulation beneath me. It works really well. Sleepingbag, fleeceblanket, comfy tshirt, longlegged underwear and warm socks. That work wonders for me, I dont freeze at all.

This photo is from thursdaynight. It was slightly windy and according to the weathersite I use, it would be down to 5 degrees celcius around 4am. I was very varm the whole night.

My brother who didnt have any extra clothes, blanket or any form of insulationpad said he almost frooze to death. I took this picture of him, all you can see is his nose sticking up. :) If he had bothered telling me, he could at least have used the blanket. :D

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:25 pm

The hammock is surprisingly cool to sleep in. Even in the tropics I have become chilled overnight; and here in North America where I am situated it will surely be too cold without some sort of underlay, especially if there is wind.

I simply use my thermarest. I place it in the hammock, sometimes with no air and the valve closed, sometimes with air in it; I have been experimenting to find the most comfortable set up. I use the thermarest for at least three reasons:

First, I still want to have something to sit on on the ground when cooking etc..

Secondly, I want a back up sleeping option in case there is no place for the hammock (which is rare), or if something should break. I carry a massive tarp - a Speer winter hammock tarp - to set up over my Hennessy, so, I could make a lean too and sleep on the ground with the thermarest if I needed to. The Speer tarp will seal up the hammock, even on the ends which cuts the wind a lot. Plus, the thermarest is smaller and lighter than a heavy, bulky sleeping bag or quilt and is less susceptible to having its insulating properties ruined should it get wet.

Third, I don't want to spend any more money on gear than I need to. I don't need a special quilt either - I have a good arctic sleeping bag. So I see little sense in buying a special insulating pad.

My advice, if you have a thermarest, is to simply use it.

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

Return to “Bug Out Gear”