Hennessy Hammock, the Ultimate Survival/Bug Out Shelter?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TinHatRanch

Hennessy Hammock, the Ultimate Survival/Bug Out Shelter?

Post by TinHatRanch » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:03 am

I set out to review the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe Asym from the aspect of a survival or bug out shelter. What I ended up with was a piece of gear that has revolutionized my bug out bag. One night in the Hennessy Hammock and you may as well just toss the old tent, you’re never going to sleep on the ground again.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Re: Hennessy Hammock, the Ultimate Survival/Bug Out Shelter?

Post by omega_man » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:22 am

There's a few hangers around here, and I'm one of them. The Hennessy is a nice set-up. I was torn between that and the Warbonnet Blackbird for awhile. Warbonnet won, but yes, high-end hammocks are a game-changer. Nice review.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:29 am

While not a Hennessey user hammocks are the way to go. Nice review.

ETA: I'm going to get two complete system with insulation for the kids. I'm going to have to test them out but all reports say they're warm. Carrying their 2 person tent around is not fun.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

irukandji

Post by irukandji » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:50 pm

WB Blackbird user here as well, totally agree on never going back to the ground again. :rofl: Nice review man!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

TinHatRanch

Post by TinHatRanch » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks for the "nice reviews", I do the best I can.

McSquishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Three way tie between 28 Days/Weeks Later, and Zombieland.

Post by McSquishin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm in the market for a hammock similar to this, I'll be checking this out further.
Ne Desit Virtus

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Walmart hanger here, I can't say I will never go to ground again... But the hammock has given me a very comfy place from which to search for that "perfect" ground system.

One other advantage of the hammock, while the water resistance (from above) depends on tarp integrity, even the most robust tents/bivvies will leak if subject to ground water/flooding for very long. The hammock laughs down at the soaked ground, from it's lofty perch. And yeah, tent site selection can fix this issue in most cases, but that is tough if you hiked too long into the night or get caught in a sudden storm.
Last edited by maldon007 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Another great video. I've been toying with the idea of getting a hammock and I think you've got me convinced.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Great video... Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately there aren't many trees where I spend my camping time. I'm stuck on the ground most of the time.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:59 pm

I've used a hennessy for years and in all kinds of weather. Add a insulating pad and your good in the cold. I've used it where there were no trees too, tied one end to the roof rack on the fj and one end to a bolder. I used it once with cut would poles on the ground, which pretty much sucked. I've used it on slopes you couldn't set a tent up on unless you love rolling down a hill wrapped in a tent. Which would have been fun when I was younger lol.
ZS#4545

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:52 pm

I was happy enough with my base-model Hennessey to upgrade to the new Deep Jungle XL, which has solved four issues that marred my enjoyment:

1) I'm 6'4" and the first one wasn't long enough;
2) the double bottom on the Deep Jungle prevents insect bite-through;
3) the zipper is a better entry than the velcro birth canal;
4) bottom insulation is included and easier to work with than an improvised solution;
5) high-tech materials save weight vice the older model.

Of course, the Deep Jungle model costs three times what I paid for the other one....
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

TinHatRanch

Post by TinHatRanch » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Chef wrote:I was happy enough with my base-model Hennessey to upgrade to the new Deep Jungle XL, which has solved four issues that marred my enjoyment:

1) I'm 6'4" and the first one wasn't long enough;
2) the double bottom on the Deep Jungle prevents insect bite-through;
3) the zipper is a better entry than the velcro birth canal;
4) bottom insulation is included and easier to work with than an improvised solution;
5) high-tech materials save weight vice the older model.

Of course, the Deep Jungle model costs three times what I paid for the other one....
I got buzzed by some mosquitoes but the didn't bite. The strange thing that I experience was I swear chipmunks were scurrying on the suspension ropes..maybe it was the snakeskins.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Wow, how did I miss a Hammock thread for this long?

Great video review, THR. While I am partial to the Warbonnet (and last weekend got to play with a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater UL; BIG thumbs up) the Hennessey is a seriously nice hammock.

I am sure I have said it once or twice around here; if I am bugging out or getting home, I would rather have 4 hours of great sleep in a hammock over 8 hours of crappy sleep on the ground!

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Nice review, TinHatRanch. Succinct, articulate, and to-the-point. Now I want me a hammock. Thanks for sharing. :clap:
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Whoofit

Post by Whoofit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:43 am

Yup I do think it is the ultimate survival shelter too. I have a few and always prefer to hang if possible. In the deep winter here up North I see ground sleeping as more feasible though. Setup and tear down is quicker without fussing with all the lines and insulation layers. Tents/tarps can be much less bulk and weight in the winter using natural insulations.

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird on order. I've tried to use the Hennessey Backpacker Asym Zip. That was a bit too small but at 2lbs all-in it was a treat to lug.

Guess I'd say that for stealth and difficult terrain a hammock hung low is very hard to beat in the comfort department.

I agree, great review.
I like to think I am Sir Edmund but, in reality, every mountain is Everest to me...

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:16 am

My only issue with a hammock as a "bug out" shelter would be the time to setup, and the stealth of the shelter. If I set up my Catoma bug net tent, and my poncho over top for protection from weather if need be, it takes about 8 minutes. Less if I don't bother with stakes, as my big ass should keep the shelter grounded just fine. Unroll my sleeping bag, and I'm good. Not as comfortable as a hammock, but I have to imagine its more stealthy. Packing up in a hurry, the most time consuming thing would be stuffing my sleep system back in the sack.

Comfort, I would imagine the hammock would win... But if I'm worried about moving in a hurry and keeping a low profile, wouldn't a ground based shelter be superior? Not to mention I can roll out of my shelter fighting if need be.

In no way am I criticizing your choice of shelter... I freaking want one. I'm just wondering if it would be the option I would want in my BOB, vs my hiking kit.

(Also... Haven't got the opportunity to view your video yet, but I promise I will, and it may cover some of my questions.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 pm

One thing, don't hang it too low, a armadillo got curious and scared the shit out of me in the middle of the night one time. Nothing like waking from a deep sleep to a nose poking you in the butt to get the blood pressure up. Oh and never string it across a game trail.
ZS#4545

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 pm

This is what my BOL looks like... Any solutions out there to use a hammock when no trees are present?

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Another reply in the negative. I like the HH well enough, but prefer to be on the ground, prefer to have my boots and pack in the shelter with me, and often camp in backcountry areas with no trees ie; desert or above treeline.

I'd call it a piece of kit which does very well in many situations, but there is probably no "ultimate" solution to the problem of shelter, only the best kit for the situation.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

TinHatRanch

Post by TinHatRanch » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 pm

DarkandShiny wrote:Image

This is what my BOL looks like... Any solutions out there to use a hammock when no trees are present?
Yikes, I wouldn't want to have to deal with that scenario.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm

DarkandShiny wrote:Image

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw87xQWBv-4
[/YouTube]

BAM, there is how to use the henny hammock without tree's.

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:55 pm

I've used a hammock many times. They work well, except for being pnned down 3 days in a monsoon type rain. Other guys had a tent and while they got a bit damp, they could move around. I was so stove up it was miserable. On the other hand you can pack up in the rain, taking your over tarp down last.
I like the way Hennesy ties the hammock down so it doesn't swing. A slow steady wind got my old hammock in a slow annoying swing. :x
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Nice review. I've been toying with the idea of getting a hammock because I find that the older I get the less I enjoy the ground!
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Maverick299 wrote: I find that the older I get the less I enjoy the ground!
...and the more soft fluffy shit I want between me & it :lol:

Return to “Bug Out Gear”