Andrew Skurka's Fancy Feast Stove!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Andrew Skurka's Fancy Feast Stove!

Post by moab » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 pm

From the ultralight hiker expert Andrew Skurka comes the lightest, easiest, most efficient alcohol stove I've ever seen. If someone can repost that vid so it shows that would be great. Still can't remember how to do that here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajkt594 ... drG14OmtSQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by moab on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Andrew Skurka's Fancy Feast Stove!

Post by Boondock » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:27 pm

I finally made one a few weeks ago. Boiled a canteen cup of water in about 10 minutes. I'm gonna try it on a couple of trips this summer.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:53 pm

The cat-can stove is simple and easy and cheap and light and works about as well as any alky stove that I've tried...I'm a big fan!

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Is that the reason that Eli was collecting cat oil? To burn in a cat-can stove, hence the name?

And just for fun.

Gib me your oil if you vant to liv! [in an Austrian accent of course] ~ The Shepanator
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm

I used a vienna sausage can to make a replacement for my cat-can stove a week or so ago, and I would highly recommend it.

The base of the can is wider, hence a bit more stable. It also can hold more fuel, for longer burn times in the cold. It still feels incredibly light, given those improvements.

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Jamie wrote:I used a vienna sausage can to make a replacement for my cat-can stove a week or so ago, and I would highly recommend it.
Groovy. I'm gonna try that sometime. Thanks.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:38 pm

moab wrote:From the ultralight hiker expert Andrew Skurka comes the lightest, easiest, most efficient alcohol stove I've ever seen. If someone can repost that vid so it shows that would be great. Still can't remember how to do that here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajkt594 ... drG14OmtSQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Easy-peaszy. Click the Utoob button, paste url between the [boxy] things.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

moab

Post by moab » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:25 pm

TacAir wrote:
moab wrote:From the ultralight hiker expert Andrew Skurka comes the lightest, easiest, most efficient alcohol stove I've ever seen. If someone can repost that vid so it shows that would be great. Still can't remember how to do that here.

Easy-peaszy. Click the Utoob button, paste url between the [boxy] things.
Tried that it didn't work. I also tried to obvious "YouTube" button. That didn't work either. (scratching head...)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 pm

moab wrote:If someone can repost that vid so it shows that would be great.
There you go. Sometimes you have to delete the "s" to make it "http." :wink:

Edit to add: An photo of mine in action heating water during a day hike last summer. Heavy foil screen and cover. Sprite bottle for fuel.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:11 pm

I went grocery shopping today and picked up a few Fancy Feast cans. Man those things are deceivingly small! I looked at Vienna Sausage cans too. But they were the same diameter just taller. Now to dig out my hole punch. Where the hell is that thing? lol.

So I have 70% and 90% alcohol. Which one should I run in this stove? And I see you using that little 7upu bottle, Boondock. About how much fuel do you need to run one? I'll do some tests boiling water and such. But was just curious how much you typically take along?

Also, still can't get video to show. No "s". Used both the shared link and the actual link. Used the youtube button. Nothing seems to work. ((scratching head)

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:15 pm

I use HEET. It's at every gas station. About an ounce will boil a canteen cup.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Boondock wrote:I use HEET. It's at every gas station. About an ounce will boil a canteen cup.
+1 to HEET ... yellow bottle, blue label ... it's the way to go.

Jamie

Return to “Bug Out Gear”