Bug-Out Belts?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RUSirius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, all Romero zombie flicks, "Dawn of the Dead" remake

Bug-Out Belts?

Post by RUSirius » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey, everyone-

I'm new to this whole thing, but it occurred to me recently that a carpenter's toolbelt might make a decent addendum to a bug-out kit. The hammer ring can hold a hatchet just as well, there are lots of pockets to put in items that you might want to get to quickly (ammo, small first-aid kit, etc), most of these belts are narrow enough for a decent knife or machete sheath to slip on or clip on, and if you get the sort that have D-ring suspender attachments, your shoulders can take some of the weight and keep the belt from pulling your pants down.

The only real disadvantage I see is that most toolbelts don't come with a way to close their pockets, leaving a good probability that whatever you store inside will fall out if you slip and fall. This disadvantage can be mitigated a number of ways with post-purchase modifications, like velcro, zippers or even buttons.

Thoughts from everyone?

Nutpantz

Re: Bug-Out Belts?

Post by Nutpantz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:34 pm

I have found that any long distance walking with a tool belt is nothing but annoying.
Those pouches slapping over and over made me want to kick my self for not taking off the belt before walking to get lunch...I did end up carrying it.

Your experiences may differ...
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

Exploriment

Post by Exploriment » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:17 pm

My thoughts? Put that hatchet in that ring, and all that stuff in those pouches and then walk around with it all day long. And do some vigorous movement, run, jump, scramble down a hill, act like you have to scurry out of sight to hide. Then when you’ve done that, come back here and report what you’ve discovered.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:45 pm

I've used and worn tool belts a lot over the years, and in fact wear one daily when during my general maintenance around the building I manage. I'll attest that it is hard to keep thing from falling out when doing anything but walking. Even then I'm constantly checking to make sure nothing has fallen out.

If a tool belt is completely loaded with gear, it becomes very heavy and sags, at which point a set of suspenders becomes very important. At THAT point, you might as well start looking into a low cost LBE set up instead.

The most tacticool I get with my tool belt is using it as a shell carrier when I'm shooting trap.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 am

sounds just like Sigboy40's scout belt concept... go check that out
Hey guys, Please check out my blog for gear reviews you can trust
http://suburbansurvivorgear.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new perspective on gear, to help you choose the best load-out for your situation

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:04 pm

GOODdaysir wrote:sounds just like Sigboy40's scout belt concept... go check that out

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=74377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:12 pm

A tool belt is a massive PIA. I have this belt around the outside of my pack. If I drop the pack I grab a empty stainless water bottle and snap it on. Pushing 3 items to each side. Other than that no. Its still a PIA But at least I dont get separated from those things. I finally ordered a real belt, besides that damn camping strap one.

Notice that little water filter. It was made about 30 years ago and is a sintered silver cartridge. Good for 25,000 gallons. Is FDA and EPA approved for viruses. But basically it kills everything that passes through...everything lol. Made when silver was about $6 an ounce. I would imagine around $100-125 in today's prices but they will never make them again. Too much profit in throw aways and replacement cartridges. If you ever see one.....buy it on the spot. even if you have to leave a deposit and go get money.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:22 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:
GOODdaysir wrote:sounds just like Sigboy40's scout belt concept... go check that out

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=74377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link.
And learn from my mistakes. It started out a huge monstrosity and has gradually evolved into something streamlined and fairly light. I look at the initial post and cringe. I've even debated pulling it on occasion, but it serves a reminder of what not to do.

It's in the process of evolving right now, so this isn't entirely accurate, but you get the point.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:38 pm

I tried a loaded belt, and found that I much preferred a backpack...the trick (for me) is to stick with a small backpack, because I will always fill any available space with more stuff.

I'm a big fan of those backpacks that are essentially hydration-bag carriers plus a bit of extra room.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Jamie brought up a valid point....weight.

My initial idea on the belt was to be able to drop my pack and quickly take the important stuff with me. I wanted to be able to spend a comfortable night outside. That was a lofty and perhaps unreachable goal. It ended up being very heavy and cumbersome, I have found that ten pounds is about the max you can comfortably carry without suspenders. It's my opinion that if you add suspenders, you lose a bit of the versatility that a belt provides.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:44 am

NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:52 pm

That basic lbe set up (suspenders and a belt) has been in use since before black powder came in paper cartridges for your musket.sure it had changed a little over time.but it works.
You should be able to carry enough to survive long enough to better your situation if you have to drop your main pack.
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

cap6888

Post by cap6888 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

If the plan is a BOB style belt, I would say don't reinvent the wheel, use a fanny pack. True, the name alone makes most cringe, but you can find tacticool styles, and ones on just about any size. It would be easy to find one to suit your needs. Want one big enough for an emergency over night, maybe one that gives you a enough for a "comfortable" over night, or just as simple as a basic survival kit? There are ones that can fit all of these. Just a thought.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:39 am

If you don't like mil-style look, there's several hunting styles out there:

NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

RUSirius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, all Romero zombie flicks, "Dawn of the Dead" remake

Post by RUSirius » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. You guys knew what I was looking for better than I did.

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Here is the best Bug-out belt...may need to adjust the inventory though...

Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

wildman800

Post by wildman800 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 pm

I also use an ALICE LBE. I carry 2 ammo pouches, 2 1qt canteens (2 canteen cups), an M16 bayonet, compass pouch (Magnesium fire starter, compass, USGI pocket knife, sm signal mirror); butt pack (USGI poncho, poncho liner, Trangia mess kit, HoBo knife, SOS pads, P38, pkg of beef jerky, water purification tablets, tender fire starting kit, Bic lighter), a 2 D cell USGI flashlight(w/colored lenses), pistol holster, .45cal mag pouch, FAK.

I carry lighter gear in/on my pack: sleeping bag, sleeping pad, hand trowel, TP, spare pr of socks, rations, extra bandanna's, fire making flint rod, short machete, East German entrenching tool, towel, Bic lighters, etc.

I carry the following in/on my BDU's: belt (with Leatherman, SAK, mini mag light, short mag bar/flint w/striker, p38, spare batteries, sail needle, 7" KaBar), sewing kit, sampler pen, straight razor, hvy duty space blanket, grease pencil, bandanna's, wallet, cell phone (easily losable if needed), tooque, leather gloves (w/wool inserts in winter), face paint,

i try to keep my pack with the niceties, so that if forced to, I can drop the pack and get by on the LBE equipment.
The best luck is what you make yourself!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”