BOB shelter ???

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tramp775

BOB shelter ???

Post by tramp775 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 pm

What shelter is in your BOB ? Tent ? Tarp ? What do you like and why ?

MasterBaynton
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them.

Re: BOB shelter ???

Post by MasterBaynton » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Tarp. Its lightweight, packs small, and its only temporary. If I had to stay for longer than three days, I would be building an improved shelter.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind??? I'm just not your kind.

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:29 pm

10X10 blue tarp. Too many uses besides shelter:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Maggot62
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by Maggot62 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 pm

I use 2 G.I. ponchos, a 10x10 ft. sheet of 6 mil black poly vapor barrier, and a gore tex bivy bag for shelter. I can use these in many ways, from a simple throw over, to a lean to, a debris hut, or a wigwam.
"Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable".
George S. Patton

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”
Sun Tzu The Art of War

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one”.
Jesus Luke 22:36

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 pm

I have a hammock and tarp. If I am running for my life, I may as well sleep really comfortably when I get the chance.

Honestly, in this part of the country, I can always find a good place to hang. It gets me off the wet/buggy/cold/hot ground, and the tarp can always be used for an A-frame or flying diamond ground shelter, if for some reason I really want to sleep in the dirt.

A lightweight tarp and hammock weigh in at around 20-25 ounces, depending on whether I take the one with a bugnet. That is about the same as my MSS bivy bag by itself.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:34 am

USGI poncho.

If I could afford a second ID siltarp I would prefer that.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:44 am

An ENO tarp, hammock and a Q-Core ground mat in Kelty Coyote 90L.
In GHB; Grand Truk hammock, poncho and poncho liner in 5.11 72 hr bag.
In EDC; SOL heat reflecting tarp, Grand truk and SOL heat reflecting Bivy bag in Maxpedition Typhoon.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

pyzik
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), 28 Days and Weeks Later, Quarantine

Post by pyzik » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:13 am

charlie fox wrote:10X10 blue tarp. Too many uses besides shelter:)
Same.
Preparing to prep.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 am

pyzik wrote:
charlie fox wrote:10X10 blue tarp. Too many uses besides shelter:)
Same.
Aren't those things a pain in the ass to pack down? I have a 8x10 camo tarp (same as the blue but camo) that I keep in the car because I can never get it to pack neatly into my GHB or day hike bag.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 am

Poncho, either USGI or GoLite, rigged as a tarp. Or I'd make a shelter from a heavy duty space tarp. It depends on which kit I'm using. Of course, a big tent if bugging out with family and in a vehicle.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:18 am

I carry my Mt Hardwear tent because I'm a prissy little girl. Also because if I'm bugging out I'm probably with the GF and my 2 person hammock is really not for 2 people.

Now if I weren't with the gf I'd be in my hammock tarp and ground cloth.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

hitec4you
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by hitec4you » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:52 am

A 8x10 tarp and a bivy.

Ronin672
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Ronin672 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Green tarp and a Catoma Iguana to keep the bugs away. Looking into a hammock and a bug net, and give the Iguana to the wife. She's not a fan of hammocks for some reason, but I sleep great in one!
Welcome to Wisconsin....if you don't like the weather, wait 5min....it'll change!

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Poncho. (Aftermarket USGI clone)

My wife and I have the same one. They can be snapped together to form a larger covering that is closer to square.

If we are staying a while, especially if we have the use of a vehicle, everything changes and we go large. Eureka Timberline 4 tent.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:10 am

A poncho and a bivvy bag. Other stuff for camping fun, but to run away from home, I'll be fine with just those two. If weight allows, a casualty blanket and a pair of alpha tent poles would be nice.

Cephalotus

Post by Cephalotus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:35 am

I carry a good bivy bag (http://terrybnd.blogspot.de/2011/10/rab ... ouac.html9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, because our winters are wet and cold, I would freeze to death with just a tarp. It's also quite usable in an urban environment and takes no time to setup or repack.
I also carry a ultralight Poncho (http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that could be used as a small tarp, too.

Besides that I carry a good sleeping pad (currently a neoair all seasons) and a sleeping bag. Also some extra clothes...

I also use an App that turns my smartphone into an alarm system using its microphone, camera and various other sensors...

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:40 pm

I use a Bushcraft Outfitters G2 10X10 ripstop nylon tarp.

Does everything I need and has held up very well.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Cephalotus wrote: I also use an App that turns my smartphone into an alarm system using its microphone, camera and various other sensors...
What app is that?

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 pm

I pack a tarp and bivy bag for summer and a tent for winter.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 am

Guide Gear Emergency Shelter 11 1/2 x 14' Tarp, ENO Double Nest Hammock, ENO Atlas Straps, ENO Guardian Bug Net, a custom over and under quilt made from a movers blanket. That's just if I can find the two tree's I need to make it work. I can't always do that. So in case I don't find those tree's, I am getting the Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 Tent. Made for 4 people and 4 seasons. I'll also be putting those tiny pocket emergency blankets on the inside so that any heat I have coming from me, will be reflected back from the blanket.

Also while we are on the subject. What's a good light weight 4 season tent? This tent I'm getting is for the family mostly, but I'll be keeping it. But having something light weight for 2 people and 4 seasons, that would be useful.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

procyon

Post by procyon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:09 am

I and the kids have always packed along 8x10 tarps for camping on our farm.
That, a piece of plastic sheet cut to match, 4 small metal stakes (for the times when you just don't want to make some) and extra cordage folded/rolled up inside it.
That goes in a small plastic bag with the stake lines tied around the outside.

Even the 9 y/o girl can get hers out and have it set up as a shelter in less than 15 minutes (without my help anymore!).
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:49 am

I actually prefer a hammock as well. It’s basically a tent set up off the ground and my rain fly is separate and can be used as a tarp if I want to sleep on the ground. Several of the hammock designs can also be rigged up just like a tent on the ground. I’ve spent enough miserable nights in piss-hole places around the planet; SHTF doesn’t have to be uncomfortable if you plan properly!

However, why not a “Tarptent”?

Expensive, but they can be set up like a tent with fully netted interior and bathtub style floor, or that can be removed and you can just use the outer shell. I have both the Stratospire (2.5 person…enough for two plus gear) and the solo Notch. These are as light as most tarps and much lighter than similar sized tents; you can use your hiking poles or use dedicated poles. Simple and fast to set up and very effective for three-season plus use.

If you plan to use a tarp for cold weather camping with an open fire, I would strongly recommend the fire-retardant ones like those sold by Bushcraft Outfitters. I love Sil-nylon, but I avoid setting up the hammock or tents too close if we have an open fire.

On a side note, for those worried about getting wet when using a tarp there are some standard precautions to avoid that problem. As with any shelter, your location should avoid any drainage or low lying areas. Back in the day when we used the good’ol Army shelter-halves, you made sure the sides were sealed and a drainage trench was dug around the outside…quite effective. Although a little more time consuming, you could burn or spread hot coals/ashes over your sleeping area before setting up which kills and keeps many of the creepy crawlies from joining you under the tarp. Again, pre-planning is key and treating your sleeping gear with Permethrin annually will also keep arthropods from ruining a good night's sleep.

I can and do go very light, especially for minimalist camping with the son or packing for day hikes. Sure, I can improvise a shelter such as a debris hut or lean-to, but both can be time consuming and a simple tarp or poncho with some cord can get you out of the weather in minutes. A few other additions like a survival blanket for ground cover, mosquito head net in buggy seasons and appropriate clothing can get you through most situations; maybe not comfortably, but at least alive, safe and functional.

ROCK6

tramp775

Post by tramp775 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:22 am

These are all good ideas. I love the Henry Shires tarp tent strataspire 2 for light weight backpacking ( AT,PCT..) I also like the tarp and net tent idea for a BOB , lots of set up options if your in the woods. There's something to be said for a free standing dome type tent. It can be set up with no stakes ( sidewalk , back aley ) any where.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:39 am

ROCK6 wrote: Again, pre-planning is key and treating your sleeping gear with Permethrin annually will also keep arthropods from ruining a good night's sleep.
Will Permethrin have an adverse effect on my MSS bivy? I always worry that treating my gear with different things will make stuff wear out faster. It won't slowly eat away at the gortex, will it?
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

Return to “Bug Out Gear”