Alice Pack on a 3XL Guy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zombiefever
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Dead Snow

Alice Pack on a 3XL Guy

Post by Zombiefever » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:30 am

I am finally getting around to putting together my first BOB. I am on a tight budget so I purchased a medium ALICE pack from a guy here in town for the low low price of $5. :clap: It has the original style shoulder straps and is in pretty good condition. I hear more often than not that the ALICE frame is a good idea. My question is thie: I am a fairly big guy (think 3XL shirt big and 6') and I want to know, how well will this fit? I don't want to go out and buy one if it wont work with someone of my size. I checked the local Surplus store but they are all out atm. I searched the all mighty Google with out much success for info on this. Any info would help but as they say pictures are worth a thousand words and would give me an idea of how this will ride on my back. Thanks for any input.
"Kiss my Wookie!"

TacAir

Re: Alice Pack on a 3XL Guy

Post by TacAir » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:50 am

The frame will be 'short' - that is to say Uncle Sugar 'optimized' the frame for someone 5 ft 10in - and I have no idea why.

If it is ROK surplus, it may be even less comfortable.

That said, ditch the waist belt and buy a MOLLE belt - light years better.

Take a look at any of the Hellcat threads for other tips and advice on ALICE.
Like this- http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=100985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or this http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=86305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 am

It might be a tight fit, but I've also seen some pretty big dudes hump a med or large ALICE without issue. Best way to know is to load it up and go for a walk.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:23 pm

You'll be fine. I'm 6'0", 240 Lbs and carried both a large and a medium ALICE for 25 years with no problems.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:59 pm

You're gonna want some better straps, or the padding add-ons that attach over the lower half of the issue straps. I'm a shoulder/chest heavy XL and the older style straps barely reach my clavicles.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:00 am

Or the option no one likes to talk about...
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

SpookStrickland
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army Of Darkness, Night of the living Dead.

Post by SpookStrickland » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:56 am

If you are long in the body like me it will not be a great fit. I'm 6 foot and 3xlt and the waist belt hits me around the belly button area, much too high. I just ditched the frame. I'm going to try it like that for a while until I build a frame of my own. The pack its self is just awesome for the money!
-Spook Strickland

"The law will never make a man free; it is men who have got to make the law free."
-Henry David Thoreau

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:50 pm

My experience as a 6'3" long torso'd guy who spent time in the Corps with the medium alice pack. It's to short. It hits you someplace between your lumbar and the middle of your back. I would guess it's a size medium. Go to a surplus store and see how one fits. And/or better yet go to an outdoor store (REI) and get fitted for a pack too. That will tell what exact size you need. I'd think if you came in with a medium that the alice would be fine. Any longer and I would go with a commercial pack that is fitted i.e. - small. med. large etc.

Otherwise (for guys with longer torso's) all the weight of the pack is going to be on the shoulder straps. And not optimum. Most of the weight should be carried at the hips.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

DrJack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most

Post by DrJack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:25 am

For my money as a 6' 200+ guy is to go with a frame from a reputable manufacturer on the CIV side. (Actually I'd recommend that for anybody of any build)

I'm a big fan of Jansport, Gregory, and Mountain Smith, but there are literally hundreds of manufacturers and with a little research many have frames that accept the ALICE. (Uncle Sam and a decade of war has been a cash cow for the industry)

Good luck.
YOGLO!

Zaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, 28 days

Post by Zaper » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 pm

What about a DEI frame?

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Murph wrote:Or the option no one likes to talk about...
Is it going to be something as productive as "Just Move" ?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

DrJack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most

Post by DrJack » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:53 am

Reminds me of one of the apocalypse panels at DragonCon last year.

We, as "preppers" spend countless hours and dollars being ready for an apocalypse that statistically is rather unlikely.

However, things that have a very high probability of killing us are ignored. (We still smoke, eat cheeseburgers, drive home from the bar without a seatbelt, etc. etc.)
YOGLO!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:11 am

DrJack wrote:Reminds me of one of the apocalypse panels at DragonCon last year.

We, as "preppers" spend countless hours and dollars being ready for an apocalypse that statistically is rather unlikely.

However, things that have a very high probability of killing us are ignored. (We still smoke, eat cheeseburgers, drive home from the bar without a seatbelt, etc. etc.)
Agreed. I haven't had an attack by zombies, mutant bikers, or even common street thugs this year, but I did almost die from a heart attack due to plaque build up from my former fat boy days.
Had I not lost the weight and built up my cardio I'd have died March 18th 2013.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
Agreed. I haven't had an attack by zombies, mutant bikers, or even common street thugs this year, but I did almost die from a heart attack due to plaque build up from my former fat boy days.
Had I not lost the weight and built up my cardio I'd have died March 18th 2013.
Agreed as well. Survival to me means looking at the entire picture. Mental and personal health fitness should be paramount on the list of preps. Losing 10 lbs isn't secky like a AR-15. But the former is far more likely to save your life.

Off-note: Thank goodness you did Phil. Inspirational. I'm buckling down.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:27 am

I was on a bunch of the AR panels at D*C last year, trying to keep it real, but no one wants to listen to that kind of thing.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:45 pm

crypto wrote:
Murph wrote:Or the option no one likes to talk about...
Is it going to be something as productive as "Just Move" ?
crypto wrote:
I was on a bunch of the AR panels at D*C last year, trying to keep it real, but no one wants to listen to that kind of thing.
Maybe they found it hard to listen to someone that doesn't even believe in it themselves... But that could just be a wild guess. Or heck it's called DRAGON*con, sounds like there might be a little bit of suspension of disbelief going on to begin with... Who knows... *shrug*

Anyways, I have to agree with several other people who have said there are better options available in non-military packs. I've carried a number of different packs over the years, and always found commercially available hiking backpacks to be more comfortable, because of better designs and that they weigh of the pack to available volume is generally less.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Wulvereen

Post by Wulvereen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:59 pm

According to this thread, get an ALICE pack, and change the whole damn pack out for MOLLE or other such parts.
Someone needs to find a pack, that needs no modifying to be good.

It's like taking a semi auto 9mm Berreta and adding a conversion kit, new sights, extended mag, tac light, extended barrel.
Costs more to make the .45 ACP pistol you have, than it would be to buy a .45 pistol that comes with it all included.

The man who makes a pack, that is lightweight, strong, can carry a lot, has adjustable parts to make it universal, clips and pockets galore, and a good reliable zip is going to make a bloody fortune.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 pm

There are lots of packs like that, but none of them are $30 used.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Murph wrote: Maybe they found it hard to listen to someone that doesn't even believe in it themselves... But that could just be a wild guess. Or heck it's called DRAGON*con, sounds like there might be a little bit of suspension of disbelief going on to begin with... Who knows... *shrug*
If I told people at a SF convention they were fat and needed to lose weight, ZS would never get invited back. How far do you usually get in that conversation before people tell you to go fuck yourself?

This thread is about backpacks, not weight loss.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

crypto wrote: I was on a bunch of the AR panels at D*C last year, trying to keep it real, but no one wants to listen to that kind of thing.
crypto wrote:
Murph wrote: Maybe they found it hard to listen to someone that doesn't even believe in it themselves... But that could just be a wild guess. Or heck it's called DRAGON*con, sounds like there might be a little bit of suspension of disbelief going on to begin with... Who knows... *shrug*
If I told people at a SF convention they were fat and needed to lose weight, ZS would never get invited back. How far do you usually get in that conversation before people tell you to go fuck yourself?

This thread is about backpacks, not weight loss.
So wait, I'm confused... Were you or were you not 'trying to keep it real' then?
And as for what this thread is about, I was just trying to get clarification on things you said. And I did mention ALICE packs in the reply you quoted (but cut out.) *shrug*

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Zombiefever wrote:I am finally getting around to putting together my first BOB. I am on a tight budget so I purchased a medium ALICE pack from a guy here in town for the low low price of $5. :clap: It has the original style shoulder straps and is in pretty good condition. I hear more often than not that the ALICE frame is a good idea. My question is thie: I am a fairly big guy (think 3XL shirt big and 6') and I want to know, how well will this fit? I don't want to go out and buy one if it wont work with someone of my size. I checked the local Surplus store but they are all out atm. I searched the all mighty Google with out much success for info on this. Any info would help but as they say pictures are worth a thousand words and would give me an idea of how this will ride on my back. Thanks for any input.
Not sure how helpful this will be...

I don't have an ALICE pack, but the pack I do have has an ALICE frame. I ended up buying an Eberlestock J51 Warhammer. It's based on the ALICE frame, but that's pretty much the only thing it has in common with an ALICE pack. That being said, it fits me very well and I'm a large guy too, 2XLish and 6'1" I don't know if Eberlestock uses the Medium or the Large frame though. From the reading i've done I know you can upgrade the straps and belt to the MOLLE ones and they're apparently much better and the Hellcat mod that someone else mentioned is supposed to be very good as well. I know you're trying to do this on the cheap so the best advice I can give is to work with what you have right now, and look at upgrading or replacing with better stuff as time and budget permits. I would much rather have a small amount of OK gear than no gear and some money saved up for it sitting there if something happened and you needed the gear right now. I'm sure most if not all of us started with a lot of stuff that we would not recommend now but anything is better than nothing.

Take a look through the many many BOB threads, there are a lot of really great ones, I've added a lot of stuff and dropped stuff several times based on others' experiences. The Mock Bug Out threads are great resources as well. There is a lot of really great gear that doesn't cost a ton.

This last bit I wasn't going to get into but I honestly want to know:

Murph: What's with the fatty hate? You seem to need to get your two cents in on any thread that you can about it and I'm honestly curious as to why? We've gone over it before and trust me, no one who is overweight is unaware of the fact. Some of us have medical reasons for it, for most (myself included) it's lifestyle choices or situations. The OP was asking if that pack would fit him, not for advice on how/if he should lose weight. You have a lot of useful info and experience, that's obvious from your other posts and I totally get that a lot of guys are in denial about the health impact and ramifications, especially in a SHTF or EOTWAWKI scenario, just like the guys who prep nothing but guns and ammo. But why piss us all off every chance you get? If you'd like to discuss it here or via PM I'm good either way, I would just like to know.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Zombiefever
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Dead Snow

Post by Zombiefever » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:35 am

For those that have actually contributed by providing info for the original question, Thank you. :clap: For the rest of you *cough cough murph cough* I got a lot of nifty words I learned in Spanish and French for ya, but again, it doesn't have anything to do with my post so lets move on.
I found a couple of others post recently that have to do with using pvc pipe to make a decent lightweight frame. My buddy the plumber dropped off a 10' piece of sched 40 1/2 inch pipe for me. Figured spending 0$ and just a little time beats dropping $20 on a frame that may not work. I went by the local surplus store in Wichita but they still don't have any for me to try out. :cry: When I get it finished I'll post a couple pics. It seems to have promise and hell, if it falls apart after a while, it A) didn't cost anything, and B) a replacement will cost just a little bit of time and a couple bucks.
"Kiss my Wookie!"

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:02 am

Wulvereen wrote:According to this thread, get an ALICE pack, and change the whole damn pack out for MOLLE or other such parts.
Someone needs to find a pack, that needs no modifying to be good.

It's like taking a semi auto 9mm Berreta and adding a conversion kit, new sights, extended mag, tac light, extended barrel.
Costs more to make the .45 ACP pistol you have, than it would be to buy a .45 pistol that comes with it all included.

The man who makes a pack, that is lightweight, strong, can carry a lot, has adjustable parts to make it universal, clips and pockets galore, and a good reliable zip is going to make a bloody fortune.
ALICE ruck, Medium - holds about 34 liters. Built like a brick shithouse and so is heavy-ish.
Made of water-repellent 420 denier military nylon duck.
3 outside quick opening cargo pockets, inside radio compartment with cinch, Velcro® closing pocket in the pack's top flap.
External attachment points for extra gear / pouches.
Has Internal straps to shorten pack if total volume not necessary.
Measures 19" x 20" x 11".
2,350 cu. in. capacity.
50 lb Capacity load.
Comes in Olive Drab or Woodland Camo.
Empty Weight 2.8lbs.
Can be used with LC-2 Load Carrier Pack Frame or with Shoulder straps (must be used with frame in cold weather.)

I can buy a complete ALICE ruck, with frame and doggie straps for 25 dollars.

I comparable size (30 liters) internal frame pack at REI runs from 90 to 300 dollars.

For a ruck that won't see a lot of use, it makes for an inexpensive ruck for a GHB, BOB or GOOD bag.

For a few dollars, I upgraded both of mine with a MOLLE waist belt and made it much better.

My commo ruck was not upgraded, and it works with the load I have for it.

I've added a frame shelf (6 dollars) to allow use without the pack to carry odd loads.

So - well made, stupid cheap, possible to modify to make it a bit more comfortable and a system that is flexible as to the load it can handle.

For for about 40 dollars I have a good bag that meets most all of my needs. Might explain why it is so popular.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

none1

Post by none1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:38 pm

OK folks, the alice pack, with or without frame, is DESIGNED to ride high, it is NOT designed to fit a 5 foot person, with the frame, the belt on the frame is DESIGNED to hit up near your belly.

Because you are supposed to be wearing an LBE suspenders and pistol belt on your waist.

Modern packs have a waist belt that transfers some of the weight of the pack from your shoulders onto your hips. Alice is designed to carry some of your gear on your waist on the pistol belt, and to have the alice pack be supported on your shoulders.

You can pick up a cheap belt + some pouches + suspenders for maybe $15. Its a good tier 1, 2, etc. system, you carry the most essential stuff on your belt, and less essential stuff in your pack, so if you get separated from your pack, you still have your basic survival / combat gear on your belt.

The ILBE is a nice pack, modern suspension, puts pack weight on your hips, can be had used for $90 these days. Folks like what they like, but, IMO, ILBE > tricked out alice for comfort in carrying heavy loads. YMMV.

I like alice, use it for light weekend camping and in my jeep as a "ok if someone walks off with it" GHB. I have a belt + LBE in a frameless alice GHB, I personally wouldn't want it to be my main bug out bag, but, I probably carry too much stuff in my BOB, and heavy loads I prefer a better suspension like the ILBE.

If you are going ULTRA cheap, IMO, alice can't be beat. As the OP said, $5. If you only got a $50 budget, you way don't need a $30 pack. :)
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”