Firearms Attached to BOBs

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Fortitudine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland!

Re: Firearms Attached to BOBs

Post by Fortitudine » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 am

111t wrote:Sure there could be scenarios where you want to get out of town and you want to bring long arms, but you don't want to look like you're carrying long arms to the casual observer...

I don't think this is an unreasonable capability to want to pursue.
AGREED. There are no drawbacks to brining a concealed longarm, save that of extra weight. I would gladly leave some less vital gear behind to have this capability.
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:28 am

Fortitudine wrote:
111t wrote:Sure there could be scenarios where you want to get out of town and you want to bring long arms, but you don't want to look like you're carrying long arms to the casual observer...

I don't think this is an unreasonable capability to want to pursue.
AGREED. There are no drawbacks to brining a concealed longarm, save that of extra weight. I would gladly leave some less vital gear behind to have this capability.
Eberlestock packs are the way you want to go.

That;'s a short demo of the "Gunslinger II" done with an M4gery. It will conceal a full-length M40 or Mk11/Mk110 as long as you don't use anything longer than a 20 round magazine in 5.56 or a 10 rounder in 308. You can use longer mags if you have a low enough optic.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Boromokot

Post by Boromokot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:26 am

In my state,open carry is no longer legal. Any firearms that come with me would need to be legally stored since I do not have a ccw. That said, ALL my firearms are still coming with me. I'd hate to come home once the dust has settled and find that some less that savory character let himself into my home and relieved me of my AR or glock. To avoid suspicion and comply with the laws, the glock would stay on me, locked, in a small sling style bag i've got with spare mags, ammo and eye pro. The AR, much as i would hate humping the extra weight, i'd break it down and stow it in my BOB.

Now if S really HTF, lawman ain't around, and i feel that i will have to defend myself. The sling bag has a concealed holster for the glock in case i still want to be grey, or the AR can be assembled and slung. Options, i has them

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:50 am

The way I prep, is that in 95% of situations, I'm going to be bugging in. If I do bug out, 95% of the situations I'm going to only be bugging out by car. If I do have to bug out on foot, 95% of the times, I'll only have my handgun on me at most (depending on the legalities situation). If I do feel the just need for a long arm once I get to my location, then 95% of the time it will be my AR, broken down and in my pack.

Now if by some reason, all these plans go all to hell, and its an honest to goodness anarchy, and unavoidable threats left and right kind of situation... then I'm going to have my rifle slung right in front of me ready to be put in action if need be.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:29 am

This is why I bought the take down version when I got my 10-22. Will I ever have to stuff it in my BOB? Probably not. Can I if I want to? Yes.

In a real PAW I would pack the 10-22 and sling the AK. Having the option of packing the 10-22 is just something I wanted.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:32 am

My packs have front fanny pack type deals added, pistol goes there.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Since carrying on the waist doesn't work well when wearing a waistbelt with a pack, many people will have challenges carrying their normal CCW and their BOB. I've gone the route of a chest pack that straps to my pack straps. They make these, but this is one I made out of stuff I had sitting around.
The only downside is it blocks airflow in the summer. I'm happy with it so far, except now I have a new sweaty spot in hot weather, in addition to all the places the pack covers normally.

If I think the situation is dire enough to have a rifle on me, it's going to be in my hands, or at least slung to my front. I think the gun bearing systems offered by Eberlestock and Kifaru are great for hunting, less great for civil unrest where just having a rifle visible will bring attention. If the situation is crazy enough to have people see a rifle, I'm going to want that rifle available more quickly than is achievable if it's packed or bound to my BOB.

That's my approach, yours may very well differ.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Inspired by PistolPete, I got a HPG pack:

In hindsite, though it's not deal killer, I would be fine without the MOLLE on it. Then again, I'm the type that would feel the opposite if I got the plain one :roll:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Fortitudine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland!

Post by Fortitudine » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Eberlestock packs are the way you want to go.
They are. I've looked into the Eberlestocks and agree that they are perfectly suited for carrying a longarm. Unfortunately the cost is prohibitive, at least for now. My BCM mid-length with a 16" barrel fits OK in my Kelty Coyote. If I organize my gear correctly, it doesn't have a substantial problem with snagging on anything. Only issue is that I will probably have to ditch my oh-so-comfy ENO hammock to fit the AR.

I hope to get an Eberlestock in the future, but for now I have to focus on more pressing concerns. I need new boots, probably Danners, to replace my old Belleville jungles. I learned over Memorial weekend that my feet aren't as tough as they used to be.
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:05 pm

sworbeyegib wrote:The way I prep, is that in 95% of situations, I'm going to be bugging in. If I do bug out, 95% of the situations I'm going to only be bugging out by car. If I do have to bug out on foot, 95% of the times, I'll only have my handgun on me at most (depending on the legalities situation). If I do feel the just need for a long arm once I get to my location, then 95% of the time it will be my AR, broken down and in my pack.

Now if by some reason, all these plans go all to hell, and its an honest to goodness anarchy, and unavoidable threats left and right kind of situation... then I'm going to have my rifle slung right in front of me ready to be put in action if need be.
ive always wondered...where the hell are the people on islands going to bug out too... :wink:
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:07 am

0122358 wrote:
sworbeyegib wrote:The way I prep, is that in 95% of situations, I'm going to be bugging in. If I do bug out, 95% of the situations I'm going to only be bugging out by car. If I do have to bug out on foot, 95% of the times, I'll only have my handgun on me at most (depending on the legalities situation). If I do feel the just need for a long arm once I get to my location, then 95% of the time it will be my AR, broken down and in my pack.

ive always wondered...where the hell are the people on islands going to bug out too... :wink:
We have two directions. Mauka and makai. Means either to the mountains, or to the beach. Or for me, to grandmas house...
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

NOVA_ops
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by NOVA_ops » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 am

ninja-elbow wrote:Inspired by PistolPete, I got a HPG pack:

In hindsite, though it's not deal killer, I would be fine without the MOLLE on it. Then again, I'm the type that would feel the opposite if I got the plain one :roll:
My God! You look like a cross between Grizzly Adams and a tactical Pavarotti. Bad ass pic Sir.

Hammer31
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Hammer31 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:41 pm

I actually plan to take a long gun with me and plan for it in my BOB along with a chest rig and ammo. I do disassemble it and place it in my ruck along with the chest rig. If I decide that it is not needed (it stays assembled in my safe at home) I have extra room for whatever in the pack (or less weight!).

I have also run into the EDC pistol problem when running my pack. My normal holster is a Crossbreed IWB for my Glock 21 but I do have a shoulder holster and will use that in a BO. I figure that a tshirt covered by a light button up shirt will cover my shoulder holster and I can carry it like this for at least 5 miles without issue with the pack.
One of the eighty.

Of every one-hundred men,
Ten shouldn't even be there.
Eighty are nothing but targets.
Nine are real fighters....
We are lucky to have them,
They make the battle. Ah, but one,
One of them is a Warrior....
He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

swany66675

Post by swany66675 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Okay I have three bags set up one is a mystery ranch dragon slayer that I have a wet rib and spadelock. It is set up to carry a rifle on the outside and the wetrib carries a pistol nicely. I have a crossbreed ohai works nicely on the spadelock. The second pack is an old Eddie Bauer with ski slots behind the side pockets. An ar-15 fits in there nicely inside if broken down, have a few pistol holsters that work on the belt and back pockets. The idea behind hiding a rifle comes from needing to get through a road block, check point, something without being noticed. Don't need someone told to confiscate firearms seeing what I don't want them to. The third bag I had a panel made that runs down the back of that holds a pistol, cash, and some extras. Would be hard to find without knowledge of it. My family of four believes we are each others keepers and there are tools made for that. I know some people love Molle
but I'm just not a fan. I guess I like things smooth and somewhat streamlined for sneaking through the woods to many loops tend to catch extra branches and thorns. I've always been a slow stalker when I hunt, and I've always carried a pack.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Prof. C.J.

Post by Prof. C.J. » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Obviously it depends on the situation -- this is not a carrying method that would be super-quick to deploy the rifle from -- but I think this is an option worth considering for some circumstances.

It's a carrying strap from the 60s/Vietnam era, originally designed for the M14 but as you can see it works fine for the AR and I would guess most common rifles. They're designed to strap the rifle to the side of an Alice pack. Also, with Alice-Molle adapters and a little creativity, they can be made to worth with a Molle pack. I've got one and think it's nifty. It's no tactical sling, but it is useful sometimes.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:32 pm

NOVA_ops wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:Inspired by PistolPete, I got a HPG pack:

My God! You look like a cross between Grizzly Adams and a tactical Pavarotti. Bad ass pic Sir.
Separated at birth?

Perish the thought!

JDLampy

Post by JDLampy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 am

This is what I plan on doing when I get the cash to pay for it.
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products ... leeve.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:15 pm

JDLampy wrote:This is what I plan on doing when I get the cash to pay for it.
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products ... leeve.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's pretty cool. I wonder about the functionality of the rifle in the position, though, vis-a-vis mobility. Cool setup, though.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Boromokot

Post by Boromokot » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 pm

JDLampy wrote:This is what I plan on doing when I get the cash to pay for it.
That's dope! not an option in my state, but if ever move that'd be something to look at

swany66675

Post by swany66675 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 pm

That's for a dedicated precision rifle or a hunting rifle. Unfortunately if they see a sniper they tend to target them.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:06 pm

I've been looking at getting a ILBE. Would the two exterior pockets be a possible rifle holding solution? They were designed for 81 rounds.

My M-4 will be on 2/ 3 point sling on my person. My additional long gun (Remmy 700 or shotgun) would be on the pack.
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

bad_karma00

Post by bad_karma00 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:10 am

Our approach is a bit different to BOB's. We call them 'get home bags' because that's what they're for. We will bug in for anything short of a nuke hit, it which case there's no real worries.

I have a Keltec Sub 2000 that uses the same mags as my EDC, which resides in said bag. If we have to abandon our ride at some point, the bags come out, and away we go. It's just a carbine, of course, and uses a handgun round, but I've found it easy to shoot and care for, and it's accuracy it far better than I expected to be honest.

Bad
"Pain is scary."
http://badkarma00.wordpress.com/
SO SAY WE ALL

JDLampy

Post by JDLampy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

swany66675 wrote:That's for a dedicated precision rifle or a hunting rifle. Unfortunately if they see a sniper they tend to target them.
That 5.11 attachment can hold ARs or almost any rifle that's not to long. If you look at the picture of the guy with it on his bag he has an AR in it. I probably would put my shotgun in it and sling my AR15.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:19 pm

I wanted to bring this back up for discussion. I've been considering purchasing the 5.11 scabbard, and I'm curious about other input (reviews, suggestions, etc.).
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Return to “Bug Out Gear”