Firearms Attached to BOBs

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zombies4Breakfast

Firearms Attached to BOBs

Post by Zombies4Breakfast » Thu May 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey everybody, 1st post and thought i would make it somewhat interesting. I've been browsing the forum for a little while checking out some of the cool BOB set-ups people have and one thing i noticed is there are no frearms either attached or inside some of the packs. Now i realize not everyone is going to spend the $300+ on an Eberlestock, Mystery ranch etc but i was wondering in a true SHTF scenario where your going to bug-out on foot where do you keep your long-arms? Does anyone lash and strap their firearms to their pack or disassemble and place inside the pack? Post pics if you wanna show your set-up.

I created this thread because i see lots of cool pack and set-ups but not firearms inside or attached.

Thanks

Assault Life

Re: Firearms Attached to BOBs

Post by Assault Life » Thu May 30, 2013 5:29 pm

I'd keep mine on a sling. Would probably consider a backup longarm or two if I have to hoof it. But until then, I'm not keeping guns that I shoot regularly strapped on a pack.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Thu May 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Pretty much. My at-home rifle is in a case ready to go, I do need a sling for it tho. All the others live on the BOL already.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Zombies4Breakfast

Post by Zombies4Breakfast » Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 pm

The main thing i see is a lot of people either have a sling or a carrying case but if your going "grey", You don't pack a weapon inside of the bag itself?

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu May 30, 2013 6:02 pm

I EDC a pistol, so that will be in the same place if "bugging out". No need for BOB accounting of it.

I do not plan to carry a rifle in most bugout scenerios. If I do, I have seperate kits set up for that - like an AK and light chest rig all rolled up in a bag and ready to go. I think most of us here do not plan to pack a longarm of some kind in an average (realistic - earthquake, flood, house fire) bug out.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Zombies4Breakfast

Post by Zombies4Breakfast » Thu May 30, 2013 6:07 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I EDC a pistol, so that will be in the same place if "bugging out". No need for BOB accounting of it.

I do not plan to carry a rifle in most bugout scenerios. If I do, I have seperate kits set up for that - like an AK and light chest rig all rolled up in a bag and ready to go. I think most of us here do not plan to pack a longarm of some kind in an average (realistic - earthquake, flood, house fire) bug out.
See, what i'm thinking of and so far my question has pretty much been answered is a lot of people when bugging out or having an inch bag always put gear inside their pack as a mean to aquire food IE fishing line, snares etc but no rifle. I'm not alluding on to sustanence but also carry along easy quick set of a self-defense long arms ruger 10/22 take down for example.

Appreaciate the responses.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm

I just thought of something.

My Jansport Odyssey 39 (My 38 lasted me 6-10 years) has a slot for a hydration bladder. Which I do not use. Ever. My bladders do not go right up against my spine where they alter the balance, feel and pressure of my pack.

However, this slot is 6" wide and about 20" deep. I just had a vision of a Kydex sheath made to slip into this space, so that you can unzip and stick your rifle in with less risk of snags, etc, since it will be in a sheath. And will not fall out if you stay upright. Not a substitute for a sling, but an idea for strapping your pack to a seat (like I do, my pack sometimes rides shotgun) or fairly predictable walking. Obviously not a good idea for traversing unsure terrain in inclement weather.

And of course, the sheath can stay in without a rifle, since it would fit inside the slot.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Zombies4Breakfast wrote:one thing i noticed is there are no frearms either attached or inside some of the packs.
There's quite a few on the forum, actually. Keep searching. Don't forget to stop by the introductions thread. Welcome to ZS.

111t

Post by 111t » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Here's an idea I've been toying with but haven't done yet. I have a 10-22with a traditional type stock. If I take a largish camp chair and sew patches on either side of the seat, and then cut a neat hole right in the This would be a brilliant way to carry a short rifle as long as it doesn't have a lot of stuff sticking off it at crazy angles. I'll keep you posted.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:08 pm

I can not see a scenario in which I would need a rifle and not need the rifle at hand instead of in my BOB.

Having a defensive rifle in your BOB is the same as not having the rifle when you need it.

If you think you need a rifle to survive by hunting then don't you think its more a INCH situation and the rule of law is out the window, so you would also need the very same rifle to get to the hunting area?

A .22lr is not a good defensive round and in all the normal hunting situations that a .22lr is good for, a nice target .22lr pistol is just as good. Small game hunting doesn't need to be done at any distance greater than 100 feet.

Plus a pistol can be carried on the hip or in a BOB.

If you think your going to need a gun for protection then your going to need it ready all the time.
If you think your going to need a rifle for hunting then you have no need to hide it.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:15 pm

MacAttack wrote:I can not see a scenario in which I would need a rifle and not need the rifle at hand instead of in my BOB.
Having a defensive rifle in your BOB is the same as not having the rifle when you need it.
If you think you need a rifle to survive by hunting then don't you think its more a INCH situation and the rule of law is out the window, so you would also need the very same rifle to get to the hunting area?
If you think your going to need a gun for protection then your going to need it ready all the time.
If you think your going to need a rifle for hunting then you have no need to hide it.
And why not have a rifle in/on your pack - reasonably protected from elements - for longer-range use, to compliment the defensive pistol on your hip?

I can tell you from experience, carrying a pack and slung rifle is, at best, awkward. As is deploying rifle without accidentally unslinging bag in the same scenario. Having a scabbard attached to your pack to slip your rifle in would be far more comfortable, while minimally effecting deployment time and allowing greater protection from the elements.

Rifle in scabbard with defense pistol at hip seems like the lesser of two evils. Not optimal, but better.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:19 pm

Dogan wrote:
MacAttack wrote:I can not see a scenario in which I would need a rifle and not need the rifle at hand instead of in my BOB.
And why not have a rifle in/on your pack - reasonably protected from elements - for longer-range use, to compliment the defensive pistol on your hip?

I can tell you from experience, carrying a pack and slung rifle is, at best, awkward. As is deploying rifle without accidentally unslinging bag in the same scenario. Having a scabbard attached to your pack to slip your rifle in would be far more comfortable, while minimally effecting deployment time and allowing greater protection from the elements.

Rifle in scabbard with defense pistol at hip seems like the lesser of two evils. Not optimal, but better.
Millions of troops do it every day.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Dogan wrote:

It's not awkward when you train to do it and use a decent sling/sling points.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Assault Life wrote:
Dogan wrote:I can tell you from experience, carrying a pack and slung rifle is, at best, awkward
True. Usually with the rifle slung across the front of their body, right? I should clarify: My experience is of carrying a rifle with traditional sling barrel-up on my shoulder, so that the pack strap and sling strap were in constant conflict. Never really sought a better solution, just took to carrying my rifle in my hands. Which means I should really look into this.

Doc Fab: Indeed. Cheap 1" wide nylon slings need not apply. Carry on.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Dogan wrote:
Assault Life wrote:
Dogan wrote:I can tell you from experience, carrying a pack and slung rifle is, at best, awkward
True. Usually with the rifle slung across the front of their body, right? I should clarify: My experience is of carrying a rifle with traditional sling barrel-up on my shoulder, so that the pack strap and sling strap were in constant conflict. Never really sought a better solution, just took to carrying my rifle in my hands. Which means I should really look into this.

Doc Fab: Indeed. Cheap 1" wide nylon slings need not apply. Carry on.
Lesson learned: before you try it, make sure you're doing it the right way with decent gear.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Yea that's true. I always had a one point attached to my plate carrier.

Fortitudine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland!

Post by Fortitudine » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Dogan wrote: I can tell you from experience, carrying a pack and slung rifle is, at best, awkward.
Three-point sling, rifle across the chest. Problem solved.

It depends on the situation, but in an INCH situation, my AR will be carried as I just mentioned. Other scenarios, such as natural disasters, it would be in the pack and out of sight.
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 pm

If you do not plan to carry a "tactical" rifle like an AR or AK and instead plan to carry a hunting rifle (bolt gun or lever gun), look at safari slings. I have one I used for my bolt gun which allowed you to carry it in front, a lot like a machine gunner, but it could be swung around to be carried like a traditional barrel up sling or barrel down. A 2" nylon strap. You can bring it straight up and the sling falls away out of the way off the sights and is comfortable to carry all day (especially if you are not wearing body armor or heavy backpacking straps to negate the strap bite).

A long gun on the pack? I usually backpack with the AR strapped to my back, but I live in AZ where you do not get a second look. To deploy, you have to take the pack off and unstrap, then remount the pack and run. In that case, if you are hunting it is fine. If you are expecting contact then...go the other way...if you don't know if you'll need it, but you "might", then it should be in your hands, round chambered, electronic optic on and you should still be walking in the other direction...

The gunfight you never have to get into is better than the gunfight you survive.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:53 am

Fortitudine wrote:
Dogan wrote: I can tell you from experience, carrying a pack and slung rifle is, at best, awkward.
Three-point sling, rifle across the chest. Problem solved.

It depends on the situation, but in an INCH situation, my AR will be carried as I just mentioned. Other scenarios, such as natural disasters, it would be in the pack and out of sight.

Why do you need a hidden rifle in a natural disaster?
And please do not say the bad guys might come out and get me. If the bad guys are going to be running around and you think you need a rifle then you need a rifle NOW, not stuck off in your pack. If you can run far enough away to have a chance to get it out of your pack then just keep running.
That is why solders no matter how much crap they are carrying, they never carry their rifles in their backpack.

Admit it. You just want a rifle along with you. You don't have a logical reason to carry it you just want it.
Be a man admit it. You just want it. We have all had those times.
We have all just wanted some piece of kit along with us at one point or other for no real reason than ,'well I paid good money for it and now I just want to have it along.' I have done it, everyone has done it.

We have had a month of natural disaster all over this country and not once has someone got up the next day and said, "damn I need to go out hunting. Yes the whole city is flooded, on fire, tornadoes all over, and, or a massive earth quake hit, but I need to go hunting."

Fortitudine

Post by Fortitudine » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:41 am

MacAttack wrote:Why do you need a hidden rifle in a natural disaster?
And please do not say the bad guys might come out and get me. If the bad guys are going to be running around and you think you need a rifle then you need a rifle NOW, not stuck off in your pack. If you can run far enough away to have a chance to get it out of your pack then just keep running.
That is why solders no matter how much crap they are carrying, they never carry their rifles in their backpack.

Admit it. You just want a rifle along with you. You don't have a logical reason to carry it you just want it.
Be a man admit it. You just want it. We have all had those times.
We have all just wanted some piece of kit along with us at one point or other for no real reason than ,'well I paid good money for it and now I just want to have it along.' I have done it, everyone has done it.

We have had a month of natural disaster all over this country and not once has someone got up the next day and said, "damn I need to go out hunting. Yes the whole city is flooded, on fire, tornadoes all over, and, or a massive earth quake hit, but I need to go hunting."
Any particular reason for the tone or do you just enjoy being an dick? Hell, I'll just ignore it and address the question.

First, the rifle can be pulled from my pack in 15 seconds. If I grab some nearby cover, that short time would be well spent. You say that I should use the time to flee. Should I drop the pack as well? Leave the girlfriend of 6 years behind because she will certainly be slower? Flight isn't always an option, and I don't plan to stake my life on the ability to do so.

I have no Idea what soldiers do or don't do. I do know that in the Marines, we had extra ammo cans for the 240G and our M16's/M4's in the truck. Would you make the same comment as to carrying extra ammunition: "well, if the bad guys are coming to get you, they are coming to get you now and you won't have time to reload your mags will you!" By that reasoning keeping a javelin in the truck would be unwise as well, no? Bullshit. Situations change, constantly. Some neighborhoods became a war zone during Katrina. I'd gladly carry the added weight for the protection.

Second, I am far more proficient with an AR-15 than I am with a pistol. It's what I have more experience and training with, and training is paramount in matters of self defense.

Third, my home has been burglarized three times. Twice when we were still fixing it up, and once while we were living here (not home when it occurred). Anything I leave behind WILL be stolen. To hell with the television, appliances and other valuables, but I will not allow my firearms to be put to use by the thugs around here.

Lastly, what the hell is up with some ZS members and the attitude? Wouldn't a simple question have sufficed?
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:47 am

Sure there could be scenarios where you want to get out of town and you want to bring long arms, but you don't want to look like you're carrying long arms to the casual observer.

What if there's been a major disaster/interruption of services in my small city or town setting... My first inclination is to shelter in place. What if, as the days go by the social unrest starts to ratchet up. By day it's a police state with checkpoints roving patrols. By night there is looting and crime on a shocking scale. Regular shooting, and the lack of any serious response by le and gov agents has convinced me that we re just not safe in our home. We gather our bug out gear, and prepare to leave town on foot. We're sure as hell not going at night, and we realize that if the well meaning soldiers or police see us walking with shotguns and rifles they're going to just take them. Do I want to fight police and soldiers who are on their last nerve six days into a crisis over my constitutional rights? No. Do I want to just give up the guns? No.

I don't see what's so unreasonable about this scenario.

Also, aside from the fact that all of us don't have pistol permits, the only thing that makes a handgun superior to a long gun is the ability to conceal. Long guns are better in every other respect. I reject the notion that any .22 handgun is a better hunting choice than a .22 rifle. Also, though a .22 is a poor choice for security, brandishing it would be effective against a rational attacker, especially if there's been a known breakdown in emergency services/we're in the woods where no one is going to respond anyway. (I am not advocating carting a .22 as a sole defensive weapon.)

Likely I'd be carrying a shotgun and my wife would have the 10/22. The point is the goal is to get out of town and under the cover of trees before breaking them out of concealment.

I don't think this is an unreasonable capability to want to pursue.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 am

I'm glad you both immediately took it from a normal natural disaster to some unnatural disaster situation in order to justify your needing a rifle in a NORMAL natural disaster.

Katrina was a natural disaster that was socially AND politically escalated up into the unnatural realm.

In every situation that people come up with in which the rule of law is out the windows and the streets are running rampant with gangs always ignores the whole rest of the nation and what they would do to help the area.

It always come down to the police vanished like smoke in the wind and the national guard has never been called up to fill in. Both of which NEVER happen. Even in Katrina problems were localized to very small areas that the police could not get to. Which also meant you could more than likely not get out. As soon as the cops got back into the area things calmed down again.

Even in the LA riots when Korea town was pretty much a lawless zone none of the residents needed to hide their weapons. They in fact made sure they were seen.

In none of my arguments have I said you should give up your weapons or that rifles were useless in some BO situations.
But what I did say was that if your advocating a .22lr rifle hidden in a backpack then a .22lr pistol would even be better. It both smaller and lighter and also easier to hide. A good .22lr pistol is just as accurate as a .22lr rifle at any range under 150 feet. If your not as accurate then find a way to get more accurate like practice, use a scope, or even a rest of some sort.
I also arguing not having your weapon hidden inside some backpack. If you need it then have it out. If your local area is so bad that you need to leave BUT you have to hide the gun from the cops/law then you really didn't need the weapon to get out of the area in the first place.
And now we are back to 'the well I left the bad area and now I want to hunt with it' argument. Exactly where are you going? Do you have A BOL in the woods? Or just some area you think only you know about that you do not own or even know who owns?

In any case don't change the argument in order to try to win the argument.

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:10 am

Zombies4Breakfast wrote:The main thing i see is a lot of people either have a sling or a carrying case but if your going "grey", You don't pack a weapon inside of the bag itself?
The way I look at it....If I am facing a situation in which I would feel the need to be armed, I would want that weapon immediately accessible and not stowed inside a pack. I have a small .410 bore "bunny buster" shotgun that I would likely keep attacked to my pack but my primary long arm is going to be carried either on a sling or in my hands in the ready position.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Fortitudine

Post by Fortitudine » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:59 am

MacAttack wrote:I'm glad you both immediately took it from a normal natural disaster to some unnatural disaster situation in order to justify your needing a rifle in a NORMAL natural disaster.
Right, so you're admitting that such a situation has arisen in the past, but we shouldn't prepare for it? When the HELL did I say I was preparing for a "normal natural disaster" and not "some unnatural disaster situation" as you put it? You're arguing, IN A FORUM SPECIFICALLY DEDICATED TO PREPPING, that we shouldn't prepare for circumstances that have arisen in the past, and could very easily arise in the future? Yeah, all kinds of fail in that argument.
MacAttack wrote:If your local area is so bad that you need to leave BUT you have to hide the gun from the cops/law then you really didn't need the weapon to get out of the area in the first place.
So you're arguing that it would be impossible to go from a relatively safe area, or an area where LE is present, to an area where there is no LE present and violence/looting has poured into the streets? The situation near my home could be much different than the situation a half mile from here. Moreover, what is actually wrong with carrying a longarm in my pack if I feel the situation warrants it? I lose nothing by bringing it.
MacAttack wrote:And now we are back to 'the well I left the bad area and now I want to hunt with it' argument.
Yeah, noone has made that argument here but you. Maybe you should reread the posts above. Please show me where I said that I planned to hunt with an AR-15.
MacAttack wrote:In any case don't change the argument in order to try to win the argument.
Who is changing the argument here? You contend that we should not carry a longarm in the pack (without providing any logic to support that contention), and we are arguing that carrying a longarm in the pack may be advantageous for a variety of reasons (e.g. violence after Katrina, which you attempted to dismiss by labeling it an "unnatural disaster," which is utterly irrelevant.

I'm still curious where the attitude came from. Why not just ask a polite question in the spirit of civil discussion? What kind of training do you have to back up your assertion that one shouldn't carry a secondary weapon in a pack to be deployed if the situation changes? LE? Military?

Hell, I love how useful forums get hijacked by some guy who claims to know better than everyone else, even those with training and experience.
-Patrick Henry

Return to “Bug Out Gear”