Spring MBO - Hitting the Trail with the Baby

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Spring MBO - Hitting the Trail with the Baby

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Part One

Our weekend plans for a campout with the Southern Ontario ZS chapter fell through, but we did spend a few hours gabbing with them, which was very cool. We also took advantage of a gorgeous day to do a little family mock-bugging out. The baby is still too young to thermoregulate on her own so we only did a few hours of hiking on our bug-out route, and not a full MBO with sleep out. We took the baby's BOB, my BOB/GHB, (which supports the famly BOB), and also my nine year old son's BOB, to make it a more realistic simulation than when we just walked it on Friday. Here's a look at how it went.

The Baby's Bob - 2 bags full of diaper change arsenal, clothes and food for a four month old:

Baby and her BOB loaded into her jogging stroller:

The nine year old, his BOB and his BOV:

Me, my BOB, a crucial BOV and one of my babies, leaving my Jeep behind:

A little of my EDC - BIC in a Scouts Canada sheath and my Leatherman Wave, with a Maglite Solitare, ferro rod and jute twine in the sheath:

And we're off. We started out on the trail that leads from our house to our family BO Rally Point:

After a while I decided that it was way more shady on the residential streets than the section of trail near our home, so we detoured:

Since we were just doing a mock-bug out, there wasn't really any regional disaster that we were on the run from, the corner store was open. After about an hour of hiking on a hot day, a little treat was welcome:

We didn't need to but we could have tried to call each other or family for an update if we needed to. The phone worked but there was no phone book, a typical scenario these days:

We walked another 15 minutes or so until we found a nice shady spot to sit down for a welcome pit stop. Water, Powerade, bacon flavoured jerky and a freezies:

Used the scissors on my Wave to open up the freezies and get at the icy goodness inside:

Some soccer field bleachers made a great rest stop for us. No freezies for the baby though, so we kept an eye on her the entire time. It was a hot and humid day so we kept the canopy on her stroller closed when we weren't in the shade and opened it up to catch a breeze where we were. We didn't need the bug net in her BOB but it won't be long, me thinks:

After rehydrating and cooling off a bit, we hit the trail again:
Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon May 20, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Spring MBO Contest - Hitting the Trail with the Baby

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Part Two

We hit the trail for another hour or so before getting home. Saw lots of stuff and talked a bit about how it would effect us if we really had to bug out.

The cat tails are in transition - the new growth getting ready to overtake the old:

The sumac berries are just starting to grow again:

We found lots of dead and punky wood. We brought some home to try charring:

There were dandelions in all stages of life all over the place:

Horseshoe fungus:

The kiddo found birch bark in a spot where he thought we could make camp if we needed too:

Lots of pine pitch:

Old tires:

A piece of rock to take home to try to make fire with steel:

We arrived home about two and a half hours after we left, safe and sound, and ready for some conditioned air, refreshments and a diaper change for one of us. My BOB was a little on the heavy side by very tolerable for a hike of a couple hours. It wasn't balanced very well when I first put it on though, so I did some adjusting before we left. The boy thought his was just fine but read on to get a little insight into that.

Gear We Used:
-stroller and diaper bag (for a diaper change)
-bottle and formula
-little patch of fleece blanket (the baby loves it but it's way to hot for a full sized blanket)
-bike
-LM Wave
-cash
-water bottles
-jerky
-sunglasses and baseball hats
-Condor wrap thingy (it's like a buff, and I'm sure it has an official name but I have no idea what it is.)

Some important lessons:

It was hot and humid, and the creek has all but disappeared. We didn't find anything we could eat in it either. No fish or crawfish at least, much to the boy's dismay. Good thing we carry lots of water, filters, chems and are set up for boiling. My son realized that he hasn't added a second water carrier to his pack yet, so threw a hydration bladder in as soon as we got home:

My daughter drank a little bit of her bottle when we stopped for a break, but we had to keep in mind that not drinking doesn't mean she was ok. We kept on eye on her for signs of heat and dehydration so she didn't end up like this poor little bird we saw on one of the streets:

My son asked if this was Poison Ivy. I asked what he would do if we weren't there to tell him, and he said "Leaves of three, leave it be!" That's my boy!

Some of the informal trails that we usually use were ok for the stroller, with a little effort, and some weren't, so we had to go the long - and safe - way around. The trail diverged at one point and this was the no stroller route:

Important note: a ten year old on a bike while the rest of the family is walking, will scout far ahead. I think they're genetically predispositioned to do so.

We took this stroller route instead:

You'll notice that the kiddo's backpack disappeared? We're practicing so try to keep it fun. He rode with it on for a while and then ditched it onto the stroller.
Last edited by bacpacjac on Tue May 28, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

TacAir

Re: Spring MBO - Hitting the Trail with the Baby

Post by TacAir » Mon May 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Wonderful - every time you take that baby out of the house, cute meters planet-wide have to be re-calibrated! What a cutie-pie.

Your Scout dumped his bag so he could scout ahead - makes sense.

Thanks for sharing, once the snow is gone, we'll be out on the bikes doing the same thing.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks so much Tac Air! She is definitely a keeper, just like her big brother. ;)

We saw the last of our snow a little while ago, and the humidity is starting to creep in with the rising temps. Have I told you that I hate the heat? I''m jealous of your snow!

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 pm

TacAir wrote:.

Thanks for sharing, once the snow is gone, we'll be out on the bikes doing the same thing.
You know what the boy needs? A fanny pack or something similar he can use as a scout belt....that would up the cool preparedness quotient considerably.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Almost forgot about the post trek drink. Hate to burst the PBR bubble but we do things a little differently up here. We only get a couple of months of hot so we have to take full advantage. LOL!

Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon May 20, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Way ahead of you , Sigboy. He's got his dad's old GI webbing and belt, that he usually uses for day hikes. My boy loves anything army! Today we just grabbed our BOBs and went though, so no fiddling with a day pack set-up.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon May 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Wow! That's what I call a shake-down hike. I enjoy strolling in the woods with a kid, my boy and I try to log about 4 miles a day. Nice entry.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks Boondock. It's a lot of fun, isn't it? The secret, I think, is to be patient, take your time, and let them explore. That makes it way more fun and less like work.

This time around, we literally just grabbed our BOB's and went. No planning or sorting through gear first, except to grab the camera and some extra batteries for it. We didn't test the kit contents today, but we don't really need to. We've got a lot of dirt time with our gear, so know it all well. I just need to get my new pack set-up dialed in. You can see in the pics how unbalanced the load was when I started. I've still got some fiddling to do but I'm on the right track. Of course, my back and hips might have something different to say about that in the morning. ;)

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon May 20, 2013 5:35 pm

You rock, Bacpac! That's one heck of an impromptu BOB walk-about and uber-cute young 'un :clap: I really enjoyed how you highlighted some resources right there in your AO. Good situational awareness.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon May 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Excellent adventure. Props for getting the kids out! :clap:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Looks good, thanks for posting your SMBO! You certainly are demonstrating the challenges that one may face if having to "Bug out" on foot with children.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks guys. It was a good day. Good learning too.

Our timing is off. It takes longer to do our route with the baby, but safety first is my number one rule. Hence, no sleep out. We did set up our new shelter this weekend though. The boy was going to sleep in it last night in the backyard, but then a porcupine showed up and he got a little spooked. He put up the tipi up on his own though, in the dark and everything, and insisted that we BBQ when we got home after our hike today, "cause it's kind of like cooking on a campfire." A steak and rainbow trout were caught in the freezer, and we threw them on the grill with some taters, onions and shrooms wrapped in tin foil. :-) Not our usual camp cooking but it was a yummy way to end the weekend.

Our new tarp tipi:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=107038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Omega_Man, I feel like I let you down with the Richard's, but I do keep my PBR alchy stove in my BOB, so it was there in spirit.
;)

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 8:29 pm

I think I owe Omega_Man a preemptive thank you. I've got to adjust my pack, and tonight's reading is OM's "How to Pack a Pack" thread. (I think it's OM's anyway. I'm searching now. Come on google-fu!) I moved the bed roll and adjusted the load lifters and it really helped balance the pack better, but it's still not ideal.

Here's a basic look at what was in my pack today. There have been a few adjustments, but the big ones are that I didn't carry the wool blanket or thermarest, just my woobie for bedding. There was no way we were sleeping out tonight, and now that the warm weather is here, they're not strictly necessary for the BOB to do it's job right now in the event that "no way!" turns into "oh shit!". The awkwardly place green roll on my shoulders was my winter shelter roll, and we left the new tarp tipi at home. I moved it from the gear lifter at the top of my shoulders, to the front side of the pack, and it was a lot better balanced, but I'm not going to miss that weight. Now that the warm weather is here, I can carry just a lighter shelter kit for a little while.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p2374722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The boy's BOB has been adjusted significantly after a year of him working hard on his skills. He's got a new fire kit, cook set and a water filter (bottle) that he didn't have last year. There's also a fixed blade in there, that he bought for me last Mother's Day. He got me a new knife for Mother's Day this year, so I'm getting ready to hand the old one down to him. He's been working on his knife skills and will officially take possession when he turns 10 in a month. :)

This is how his kit sat in the fall, with a few recent adjustments:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 4&t=102081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Canadian Guy wrote:Looks good, thanks for posting your SMBO! You certainly are demonstrating the challenges that one may face if having to "Bug out" on foot with children.

I hope so, CG. It's a learning experience for us and I hope someone else can benefit from me sharing. The difference from where we were last year, to where I thought we would be this year, and where we actually are this year is huge. Our youngest being a growing in independence nine year old adventurer last year, and our youngest being a totally dependant four month old this year is a totally different mindset. Throw in our oldest kid living on her own a four hour drive away, and we're totally retooling our minds and preps.

So we're going to bug out on foot with the baby, eh? When it comes to bugging out, especially on foot, it is now firmly the ruler of the title of "Last Option". We'll get mobile again, but it's going to come in stages, just like it did with the other two kids.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri May 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Good play on the jute cordage. I am just going to point out that she is running around with a baby posting a MBO. If that doesn't shame people into posting an entry I don't know what will. :lol:

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Fri May 24, 2013 10:48 pm

My MBOs aren't going to be as exciting as other people's, especially when my family, particularly the baby, is with me. But, as they say, discretion is the better part of valour. Contemplating a bug out with a four month old and nine year along is a different mindset than I had when I didn't have them to consider.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Awesome post, imo. Exciting bug out? No thanks... Uneventful? Well planned and executed? Yes please!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”