Wyominglostandfound Tarp Tipi - First Impressions

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Wyominglostandfound Tarp Tipi - First Impressions

Post by bacpacjac » Sat May 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Just in time for Mother's Day, I received my new Wyoming Lost and Found Tarp Tipi, generously donated by Brian as a prize in the 2012 Fall Mock Bug-out Contest. Between a pregnancy, new born and being laid up from the past month or so with dental surgery, I haven't had a chance to field test it yet, but we took the first chance we had to put it up in the front yard this weekend.

Sorry, scales are banned from our house, so I have no idea how much it weighs. (It does weigh less than my 12 pound 4 month old, if that helps at all.) Here's the manufacturer's specs:

Small 6 sided Tipi

Weight: (w/ stakes and pole) 3.5 lbs.
Diameter: 11 ft.
Center Height: 5 1/2 ft.

Here it is rolled up beside my BG knife for a size perspective. This is the most pack-friendly way we found to pack it, was rolled up with stakes and rope inside, secured with some spiffy ranger bands. It's a poly tarp, and folds up just as you'd expect one of those too. You just need to compensate for the pointy top and stove jack. We'll keep playing with it to try to find a better configuration:
Not apologizing for the knife, you BG/Gerber haters. It was a very thoughtful Mother's Day gift from my kids this year! (But they have all chimed in with ways to hide the BG insignia.)

Unrolled, and folded in half:

My young Cub Scout had a bit of trouble getting his line in the tree just right...

...so we ended up with part of the tipi in the trunk, but it was good enough for our first look see. There is a tie-out on the top of the tipi, to use for suspending it from a tree or ridge pole/line. We connected to it by putting a carabiner on the end of our pitching rope with a bowline, and then tied the pitching rope off to the tree with a simple cow hitch-slip knot thingy* since we were playing with pitching heights. (*Knot patent pending. Excited nine year olds. Geesh!)

Bottom zipper open:

Zipper stitching and tie outs. There is a tie out on both sides of the door, so you can easily secure the doors open better more light or air flow:
Here you can also see the outside seam where two pannels meet.

Double stitching between top of door and top of tipi:

Stove Jack:

Note: On the inside shot, you can see one of the interior tie-outs. There are four - one on each of the non-door and non-stove jack pannels, I assume either for a gear loft or something to do with the stove chimney.

First impressions? This is a neat piece of gear and I'm very grateful to Brian for donating it. Thanks Brian! I can't wait to sleep under the stars with it. The kids have already claimed for their summer mock bug-out.

It's basically a silver and blue poly tarp, or probably a couple, that have been cut and sewn into a six-sided tipi. It has one door with a zipper, grommets like a regular tarp (didn't count/measure them, sorry, but it looks like there's one in the middle of every (6) panel. You can see them in the pic above, where the tip I is hanging) and seven tie-outs for stakes or guy lines at the corner of each panel. All closed up, it's pretty bright inside on a sunny day. Even only semi-pitched, it is plenty big enough for my son and I and our gear, and maybe one more adult, depending on how we pitch it.

Ours didn't come with a centre pole or stakes, so I can't comment on them but It's really easy to put up by hanging it from a tree, and I really like that it's adjustable that way. We raised it and got some nice air flow from the bottom, and lowered it, so my son could easily reach to the top of the door opening to pull down the zipper. I've got a 6 ft oak walking stick that I'm going to try to rig up as a centre poll, but I'm liking the tree hanging because it's just so simple. My nine year put it up by himself, no problem.

Not being a tent stove user, I can't comment on the stove jack. I have no idea about them at all. It does seem like it would do it's job and keep the rain out as it is though. With my camping track record, it should pour rain the first time we take it out and I'll come back with a review then. ;)

Here's a link to the Tarp Tipi specs on the Wyoming Lost and Found wesbite: http://wyominglostandfound.com/tipi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again, Brian!
Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 am, edited 8 times in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Wyominglostandfound Tarp Tipi - First Impressions

Post by PistolPete » Sat May 18, 2013 10:34 pm

I've got one and used it for hunting and winter camping and I'm happy with it. With a small stove in it you can get it really toasty, and it has good room for people and gear.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks for sharing this! Looks like a must have piece of kit for the car or even a bob. Are these available for sale?
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Sun May 19, 2013 9:57 am

cool review, thanks.

Cockroach wrote: Are these available for sale?
pretty sure:
http://wyominglostandfound.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sun May 19, 2013 10:22 am

Cockroach wrote:Thanks for sharing this! Looks like a must have piece of kit for the car or even a bob. Are these available for sale?
Yes they are for sale
I have my hands full with some really big custom tents right now
But I have a few buddies that are helping me with the tarp tipis
So hopefully we can get all orders filled and shipped in more
Timely manner
Thanks for the review Bacpacjac
Wyo
I hunt therfore I am

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sun May 19, 2013 12:34 pm

My pleasure, Wyo. I think it's cool! Thanks again! :clap:

P.S. check out the current Spring Mock Bug Out Contest thread, and get out there! It's a lot of fun, great experience and there's cool prizes too! http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=106427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. :wink:
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Sun May 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Quick update - the kiddo just put the tipi up in the back yard by himself - in the dark, with May Two Four fireworks and his headlamp for light. Easy peasy, except getting that darned hanging rope just right in the tree. (No pics, sorry. My camera sucks at night.)

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun May 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Hey Wyoming, do you still have the ripstop thinner tipis for sale? I went on your site and all I see is the thick blue/grey polytarp material and the cordura ones.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 pm

crypto wrote:Hey Wyoming, do you still have the ripstop thinner tipis for sale? I went on your site and all I see is the thick blue/grey polytarp material and the cordura ones.
Yeah I have the ripstop and sil and urethane
Just been busy so I have not updated the website completely
Just call me
1-307-460-8679
I have a couple big orders to finish but I can take orders if you have
The patience
I hunt therfore I am

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 am

I'm going to recommend you place some black high temp silicone around the edges of the stove jack flap like I have. It will prevent it from fraying.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 4:52 am

Ah ha! I knew I was missing something about the stove jack. Thanks Skull_Hide!

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 pm

I have used these tarp tipis for the past ten years and never has the
Stovejack come unraveled
I put silicone on the one side and not the other so that the stove pipe
Slides through easier
But of course I use the thing before I pass judgement on something
Old Wyoming saying
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
I hunt therfore I am

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm

The brisket is cooking
Stop into greybull at the stoplight and get a Samich
And check out the operation
Haven't got the roof tipi up yet
But it will be there in the next few weeks
Super slammed with some back orders
Bill your tent will be well worth the wait
Hope you Oklahoma folks get through this storm season safe
I hunt therfore I am

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 pm

wyominglostandfound wrote:I have used these tarp tipis for the past ten years and never has the
Stovejack come unraveled
I put silicone on the one side and not the other so that the stove pipe
Slides through easier
But of course I use the thing before I pass judgement on something
Old Wyoming saying
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
Trust me, Wyo, I'm not criticizing. I hope you didn't take it that way. I'm just starting to understand tent stoves and jacks. I seriously know nothing about them. It's all new to me, so I'm not sure how to take care of it, of if I need to. I feel like a bit of a dolt about it, honestly. I want this baby to last. It's already a cherished piece of gear in our house.

If it's got ten years it, that's good enough for me. Do you think it would help or hinder if we put some on the edge? I'm not planning on cutting it for a stove in the near future, but probably will eventually. I just want to take good care of it.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat May 25, 2013 10:34 am

I never had a fiberglass stove jack unravel to a degree that the issue was worth addressing. My advice is to leave it be. Worry more about damage that could come from rushing with the stove pipe. A roll up pipe has sharp edges and wing nuts that should be put with long end facing inside the pipe. If you don't use a rollup pipe my advice is takedown black pipe. Galvanized pipe can be toxic as the zinc burns off so if you go with that burn it hard before use inside the tent. Any remaining zinc should be burned off with a torch. All of this before using the pipe within an enclosed area. Now yea need to work on a stove and a pole for your tipi.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sat May 25, 2013 11:38 am

WW
You are a fountain of valuable information
Come to Wyoming and I'll put you to work if you want
Hunting is awesome here
I hunt therfore I am

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sat May 25, 2013 11:39 am

I need quality help and there is always a fridge full of pbr
I hunt therfore I am

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 pm

We were at camp with our Beaver Scouts this weekend, and even though we slept in a cabin, we brought the tarp tipi and set up. The kids LOVED it and I did too!

I REALLY like how easy it is to set up, and that it's so light. It's no bulkier than a couple of tarps. I usually bring a cheapo Walmart tent for the Beavers to play with at a camp like this, so I can introduce them to tenting in a fun way without worrying about them wrecking one of my good tents. I also REALLY like that I don't have to worry about the kids wrecking the floor. I secured the door open, so they could run in and out without pulling on it, and they played with it for hours. The most ingenious use they found for it was to make the seeker to count in there when they played Hide and Seek, so there was no chance of peeking. ;)

EDIT: I should note that it was pretty windy this weekend. The tarp tipi held up with fine. We angled the door away from the wind, so it wouldn't turn into a kite when the doors were open.

That said, I'm not at all thinking of this as primarily a kids play thing. I'm really looking forward to using it on a few camps in June, including a 5 day portage adventure with our Scouts. (We spend the Scouting year introducing our new families to camping, and letting our experienced campers practice and develop their skills. At this time of year, we have a series of progressively more self sufficient camps - cabin in the city, to tents in the city, to tents at a rural Conservation Area, to the portage trek in rattle snake territory on Georgian Bay. For those of us who do them all, each trip is a testing ground for the next one. It's a great chance to figure out gear improvements. ) I'm going to take the tarp tipi as my primary shelter this summer. It's fast becoming a cherished piece of gear. Thanks again, Wyo!

Sadly, my camera died just after lunch on Saturday, so I didn't get any pictures from camp at all. :(

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Wed May 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Woods Walker wrote:I never had a fiberglass stove jack unravel to a degree that the issue was worth addressing. My advice is to leave it be. Worry more about damage that could come from rushing with the stove pipe. A roll up pipe has sharp edges and wing nuts that should be put with long end facing inside the pipe. If you don't use a rollup pipe my advice is takedown black pipe. Galvanized pipe can be toxic as the zinc burns off so if you go with that burn it hard before use inside the tent. Any remaining zinc should be burned off with a torch. All of this before using the pipe within an enclosed area. Now yea need to work on a stove and a pole for your tipi.

Thanks Woods Walker. I'll definitely be looking for your guidance when the time comes to put stove in. It's definitely not something I want to rush into. It's on the longer term two Do List though.

Leaving it be for now. :-)

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Last night, bacpacboy and I took our wyominglostandfound tarp teepee out for our first overnight in it. It ROCKED! I loved it!

It's light, packs smaller than our Eureka tent with way more room inside. I used a 6 ft centre pole, and probably could have gone higher. It was high enough for me to stand up in, and sturdy enough for my son and his new friends to use as a hiding place while they were playing. I really like that you can open the door wide open, and hook the tie offs on the tent stakes for the next panel. It was easy to pitch and easy to take down. The tie-offs inside gave me a place to hang an LED lantern and also our bug net, which we didn't end up needing.

Overall, we give it two thumbs up! Thanks again, Brian!

Here's a few pics:

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:03 am

Cool this thread came up because through an unusual chain of events a Kifaru 6-man tipi that I gave away as a gift has returned home after nearly 8 years. This is fortunate because the 4-man was getting a little tight for group outings and my nephew wants to try his hand at winter camping. It needed seam sealing, cleaning and a 2 inch repair on the fiber glass stove jack. I ordered Nomex thread but was also thinking about reinforcing the repair stitching once done with high temp silicone. Anyone know the temp rating of that black hi temp silicone and where it can be purchased?

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:33 am

It says it resist temps up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

And should be at any auto parts store in the adhesive / threadlocker section.
That's where I find mine.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Skull_Hide wrote:It says it resist temps up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

And should be at any auto parts store in the adhesive / threadlocker section.
That's where I find mine.
Sorry for the Hijack.

The Nomex thread worked but that fiber glass was hard to sew a tear. Might use this Hi temp silicone to reinforce my stitching.

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-600-Degre ... p+silicone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the thread I used for the sewing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0648277794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Bug Out Gear”