Messenger Bag for Bugging Out?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Flash6605

Messenger Bag for Bugging Out?

Post by Flash6605 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Hello forum,
I have been doing some looking around on Amazon, and I have decided to try to create a messenger bag (UTG multifunctional messenger bag) bugout bag for a prepper on a budget (sub 150$). Does anybody here use a messenger bag as a bug out bag? What contents should I put in the messenger bag? Should I revert to a molle backpack?

Jackolas

Re: Messenger Bag for Bugging Out?

Post by Jackolas » Tue May 14, 2013 4:24 pm

I have a Tasmanian Tiger document bag. Awesome bit of kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue May 14, 2013 6:39 pm

No. But I have tried a day hike with a messenger bag before. It was not very comfortable.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue May 14, 2013 6:42 pm

I think messenger bags are great as a EDC (Every Day Carry) or GHB (Get Home Bag). They are a nice handy size you can keep with you wherever you go. If you actually have to evacuate your home (Bug Out) I think you'd prefer something that has a larger capacity and distributes weight better. That's my thoughts anyway.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Tue May 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Im with Pete i have a small messenger bag i edc ,but to bug out i think i need more stuff then that small bag can hold.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

furiousjorge

Post by furiousjorge » Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 pm

i love messenger bags, but they're not comfortable for long walks at all. they're great when you're on a bike and your back is near parallel to the ground. they're also nice if you have to get in and out a lot and don't wanna take your bag on and off.
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Wed May 15, 2013 1:16 am

I keep a messenger bag in my bug out bag.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

livinitup

Post by livinitup » Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 am

as an actual b.o.b.? a messenger bag isnt nearly big enough imo... its supposed to be a 72 hour bag... I dont think you could even fit 3 days of food and water in a messenger bag let alone the rest of your gear. Im actually setting up a bug-out system of bags because I dont think just having 1 for everything is practical for me.

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Wed May 15, 2013 11:58 am

livinitup wrote:as an actual b.o.b.? a messenger bag isnt nearly big enough imo... its supposed to be a 72 hour bag... I dont think you could even fit 3 days of food and water in a messenger bag let alone the rest of your gear. Im actually setting up a bug-out system of bags because I dont think just having 1 for everything is practical for me.

Why wouldn't it be big enough for three days?

Do you need three complete changes of clothes? A cookset and stove? A tent? If you strip your kit down to the bare essentials, you should be fine.

I know I can get the following in my Jansport messenger bag.
One each of the following
- shirt
-jeans
-underwear
Two pairs of socks
Two heat sheets
Small fixed blade knife, Esee 3
Two 1 liter nalgenes
GSI cup
Spoon
Light tarp or a couple garbage bag liners
Folding saw
Small FAK
Small flashlight with extra batteries.
Watch cap
Water purification tablets

Add a wool blanket rolled into a bedroll and you'd have another layer of shelter.

For food I would only pack no cook food. Trail mix, mre crackers, peanut butter, jerky, drink mixes, power bars, etc. a bug out isn't ment to luxurious. You dont need to cook. You can get by on minimal calories for a few days so this diet would be fine.

I see two schools of thought.
1.) make a kit out of a messenger bag because that's all you have and make it work.
2.) dismiss the idea if trying it because you think you need a bag full of tools, comfort items, redundant items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Wed May 15, 2013 12:16 pm

koolaidND wrote:
livinitup wrote:as an actual b.o.b.? a messenger bag isnt nearly big enough imo... its supposed to be a 72 hour bag... I dont think you could even fit 3 days of food and water in a messenger bag let alone the rest of your gear. Im actually setting up a bug-out system of bags because I dont think just having 1 for everything is practical for me.

Do you need three complete changes of clothes? A cookset and stove? A tent? If you strip your kit down to the bare essentials, you should be fine.

- shirt
-jeans
-underwear
Two pairs of socks
Two heat sheets
Two 1 liter nalgenes
GSI cup
Spoon
Folding saw
Small FAK
Watch cap

Add a wool blanket rolled into a bedroll and you'd have another layer of shelter.

For food I would only pack no cook food. Trail mix, mre crackers, peanut butter, jerky, drink mixes, power bars, etc. a bug out isn't ment to luxurious. You dont need to cook. You can get by on minimal calories for a few days so this diet would be fine.

1.) make a kit out of a messenger bag because that's all you have and make it work.
2.) dismiss the idea if trying it because you think you need a bag full of tools, comfort items, redundant items.

You are operating under the assumption that the disaster you are bugging out from will only last 3 days. With that setup any prolonged scenario will only put you in a fema camp.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 pm

itzybitzyspyder wrote:
koolaidND wrote:

- shirt
-jeans
-underwear
Two pairs of socks
Two heat sheets
Two 1 liter nalgenes
GSI cup
Spoon
Folding saw
Small FAK
Watch cap

You are operating under the assumption that the disaster you are bugging out from will only last 3 days. With that setup any prolonged scenario will only put you in a fema camp.
Or, that three days gets you to your next cache/BOL/friend's or family's house/wherever you plan to bug out to. You're operating on the assumption that the BOB is all that the user has. The vast majority of disasters require very little but a few changes of clothes, the correct documentation, some water, and a stack of cash.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 pm

koolaidND wrote: Why wouldn't it be big enough for three days?

- shirt
-jeans
-underwear
Two pairs of socks
Two heat sheets
Two 1 liter nalgenes
GSI cup
Spoon
Folding saw
Small FAK
Watch cap

I'd like to see all that put into a messenger bag. I couldn't fit any of the wool blankets I own in either of mine, let alone all the other stuff.

I think you're oversimplifying the responses. If all somebody has is a messenger bag or a duffle bag or a couple shopping bags, it's reasonable to use it. But if a person is buying something as a BOB, a backpack will carry the weight better than a messenger bag or sling bag. I use a messenger bag all the time and like it, just not as a BOB.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Wed May 15, 2013 1:13 pm

I like the style of messenger bags but after carrying a duffel bag with a shoulder strap through Chicago's airport, and hiking with a full versapack, I'm pretty sold on backpacks. Absolutely more comfortable.

livinitup

Post by livinitup » Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Also... although packing 3 gallons ( minimum recommendation for 3 days of water per person) probably isnt the most practical in BOB, I would think having at least SOME pre-packed water would be a good idea... you need some sort of water source to use purification methods, which might not always be around and you might not always have time to procure it.

this is one of the reasons why I dont use a traditional BOB... 99% of any bugout situation (at least for me) will involve my car. Thats why i have a fishing pack, camping pack, clothes/toiletries/fak pack, emergency automobile pack and a food/water pack (and duplicates for multiple cars family members)... I can deploy it all to my car in less than 5 minutes. If I have to ditch the car (which realistically would only happen in 0.000001% of situations) I can at least take what I need from other packs and put it in my big camping pack....or if I need to bug-out for a less than SHTF scenario, I can pick only 1 or 2 packs to take.

I think for a BOB the 1st step people should be taking isnt finding the 1 "right" bag and shoving as much "just in case" crap in there as possible... but to evaluate in what situations you'll actually need to use it, what you need for those situations... and then customize the pack (or packs) based on those situations.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed May 15, 2013 2:13 pm

livinitup wrote: I think for a BOB the 1st step people should be taking isnt finding the 1 "right" bag and shoving as much "just in case" crap in there as possible... but to evaluate in what situations you'll actually need to use it, what you need for those situations... and then customize the pack (or packs) based on those situations.
I totally agree. I think one of the most likely things an individual would experience requiring a bugout is a house fire, so I like to plan around that. Especially if you are in an apartment, where a fire in any unit could require an evacuation.

- Mark Twain

koolaidND

Post by koolaidND » Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm

PistolPete wrote:
koolaidND wrote: Why wouldn't it be big enough for three days?

- shirt
-jeans
-underwear
Two pairs of socks
Two heat sheets
Two 1 liter nalgenes
GSI cup
Spoon
Folding saw
Small FAK
Watch cap

I'd like to see all that put into a messenger bag. I couldn't fit any of the wool blankets I own in either of mine, let alone all the other stuff.

I think you're oversimplifying the responses. If all somebody has is a messenger bag or a duffle bag or a couple shopping bags, it's reasonable to use it. But if a person is buying something as a BOB, a backpack will carry the weight better than a messenger bag or sling bag. I use a messenger bag all the time and like it, just not as a BOB.
I know I can get all of that in my bag because I've done it. I should have clarified that the wool blanket should be on the outside worn with its one strap.

There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed May 15, 2013 4:17 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:No. But I have tried a day hike with a messenger bag before. It was not very comfortable.
While not a messenger bag, I had a Maxpedition Sitka which is a one strap sling style backpack. I thought it would make a good dayhiking/SHTF tactical bag. The problem is once you put stuff in it of any meaningful weight and you wore it for over an hour or so, it would start to kill your shoulder. I guess the advantage of a messenger bag is you can switch shoulders, but still it would be a PITA unless you are packing some real lightweight gear. A backpack, even a plain ol' jansport schoolbag, it better because it distributes the weight better.

Its a cool concept, but not for day in/day out, long term use.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed May 15, 2013 4:25 pm

koolaidND wrote: I know I can get all of that in my bag because I've done it. I should have clarified that the wool blanket should be on the outside worn with its one strap.

I know you asserted it could be done. I simply commented I'd like to see it. This is the internet after all. :-)

- Mark Twain

Flash6605

Post by Flash6605 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:36 pm

I was mainly thinking of using a messenger bag because it's compact. Do you think that you can run very fast while wearing one? Will the bag be constantly hitting your thigh? As for water, I was thinking of having some potable aqua tablets, and a katadyn filter. 2 nalgene bottles seem sufficient for water carrying. I was thinking of latching on a Coldsteel GI Tanto (for the price, it seems like a good value) to the side using the MOLLE straps.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed May 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:No. But I have tried a day hike with a messenger bag before. It was not very comfortable.
While not a messenger bag, I had a Maxpedition Sitka which is a one strap sling style backpack. I thought it would make a good dayhiking/SHTF tactical bag. The problem is once you put stuff in it of any meaningful weight and you wore it for over an hour or so, it would start to kill your shoulder. I guess the advantage of a messenger bag is you can switch shoulders, but still it would be a PITA unless you are packing some real lightweight gear. A backpack, even a plain ol' jansport schoolbag, it better because it distributes the weight better.

Its a cool concept, but not for day in/day out, long term use.

The main advantage I have found of my 3 messenger bags I have used over the last 11 years (Chrome, Timbuk, Timbuk - in that order) was ease of access to items in the bag and comfort and balance while riding a bike. On top of that it was fashionable and bus riding friendly.

That said, I just switched back to a backpack for EDC use as my left shoulder is getting old and creaky... the shoulder that was the rest point of my 3 messenger bags over the last 11 years and I injured in the very last mosh pit I was ever in in 2003 (<< long story that one). Doctor said the soreness was due to the injury I took to my ACL joint and wearing a "shoulder bag" on a weakened joint like that just does what it does.

Backpacks are fine though. Bike has a cargo rack now.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

koolaidND

Post by koolaidND » Wed May 15, 2013 10:16 pm

PistolPete wrote:
koolaidND wrote: I know I can get all of that in my bag because I've done it. I should have clarified that the wool blanket should be on the outside worn with its one strap.

I know you asserted it could be done. I simply commented I'd like to see it. This is the internet after all. :-)
You'll have to take more word for it. My wife just had our baby yesterday and I'm not going to be home until Friday. I'm not making a special trip across town to pack it up just to earn internetz cred.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Wed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm having flashbacks to the sleeping bag vs. wool blanket argument.
A messenger bag isn't gonna be sufficient for a BOB. A GHB, sure.

Tapatalk kinda sucks.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Is a Jumbo Versipack considered a Messenger Bag?

If so I've used one of those when I'm hunting or hiking before and it's worked out pretty well. Only thing with those is that the comfort with it is directly proportionate to how much shit I jam pack in there.

For instance if I have a water or Gatorade bottle, a few granola bars, a bag of trail-mix, can of dip, a knife, a leatherman, a small first aid kit, a compass, my phone, one box of ammo and a few other odds and ends in there it's fine. However if I try to jam-pack too much shit in there (especially liquid, coins or ammo) and it makes it too heavy then carrying it is way more uncomfortable than carrying a backpack of equal weight simply because of the way that weight hangs on one shoulder. I've tried padding it more, doesn't matter.

So it depends on what all I'm taking. For a light GHB with an emphasis on speed and less weight then yeah it would be fine. If you're packing a little more than the bare bones essentials I'd use a pack instead. Even the cheapest Jansport book bag you find at Target would be better.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu May 16, 2013 12:03 am

2dollar messenger bag from the good will store.

Its my vehicle ghb.

One liter bottle of water and a stadium blanket are the two largest items.
After that its a good days worth of food plus a nice 3600 cal Datrex block.
Multi tool and small flashlights.
Fire making gear though more than likely I will NEVER need it.
Cheap rain gear.
Tarp plus 550 cord.
6 pack of hand warmers.
Thermal blanket.
12 water pure tabs.
First aid kit(booboo kit mainly)
Wool socks, gloves and watch cap.
A reload for my CCW and some cash.

If that and my car can't get me through three days then I am in real trouble.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”