Eberlestock v69 - My Bug Out Bag *Pic Heavy*

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mantup

Eberlestock v69 - My Bug Out Bag *Pic Heavy*

Post by Mantup » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 pm

I finally got my bug out bag finished and I thought I'd share. There were not many pics of the V69 online when i researched it so I hope this helps someone who was in my shoes.

The bag itself is 8lbs and has a volume of 60 Liters. Mine is in the "military green" color which is just foliage green.

I start with filling up the bottom compartment with: USGI Jungle bag with bivy cover, 100ft 550 Cord, Snugpak poncho, BuscraftUSA Tarp, Pants & Hat.

Camelbak bladder is also inserted.

I then put in my cloths bag that has all my base layers in the bag along with my cookware.

Also my fire steel, waterproof matches, water purification drops, small steel shovel, MSR Dragonfly & fuel bottle, and a shemagh go in the bag.

I like to put a nice thermarest pillow in now to fill out the slack "and i like to sleep with it".

Now on to the MedKit.

Smaller items go in the top flap such as hygiene bag, protractor, surefire & surefire batteries, leatherman, gloves, Buck 119, Condor bushlore, fleece hat, and a neck gaiter.

bottom of lid.

top of lid.

I also include a GoalZero solar panel charger so I can keep my phone, electronics charged with sunlight.

There is still ample room for food at the top of the pack.

I add a poncho liner to fill out the rest of the excess space in the pack.

A Thermarest pad and defensive weapon are fitted to the pack. Pack is complete.

And a little extra protection if situation dictates.

SECOND PERSON: I also have a smaller bag for a second person to haul if needed. It has the Snugpak Scorpion 3 person tent, Hammock / Net, pistol, cleaning kits, and ample room for personal items, cloths, food, water, and ammo.

If anyone has any tips on how i can improve my pack or cut weight please comment below!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Eberlestock v69 - My Bug Out Bag *Pic Heavy*

Post by crypto » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 am

I'd swap out the AR for 8 lb worth of water, but thats just me. Most bugout scenarios in my AO dont involve me needing to shoot someone with a long gun, but /do/ involve me getting thirsty.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Fortitudine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland!

Post by Fortitudine » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 am

Crypto, I disagree concerning the AR-15. First, if I have to leave my home in any bugout situation, all three of my firearms are coming. Any emergency situation with countless refugees is bound to be fraught with danger. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Second, I can guarantee that in my AO such an emergency would result in my home being burglarized. Why leave a useful tool (hunting, personal defense) for the looters?

Mantup, looks like you've got all the basics covered. I would recommend (unless I missed them) a water filtration system, and a soft case or bag to conceal the rifle.
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 am

Eh, I've got my reasons for not wanting to dick with a long-gun on most bugouts.

1. Any on-foot bugout will involve me getting to my BOL past 20 miles of suburbs and most of them will not be SHTF scenarios, rather natural disasters of some sort. I'd sooner not have to deal with the weight, or trade out the weight for added water.

2. I'm not above stopping at a Red Cross shelter for a hot and a cot if theres one available, and visible weapons preclude that. I've worked in Red Cross disaster operations, and they're generally orderly affairs. All things considered, I'd feel better off spending the night in a shelter on a cot than pitching a bivvy on what is by definition someone elses property. Don't make the mistake of thinking every shelter is like the Superdome. Even the Superdome wasn't like the Superdome.

3. Nothing invites unwanted encounters with law enforcement like walking around across town with a rifle when people are already tense.

Gook luck hiking through Chicago with a long gun, though, I wish you the best of luck.

To the OP: The kit looks solid. I'd consider swapping out your Mountain House meals for something with higher caloric amounts that doesn't need a half liter of water to prepare. I ended up ditching all the camping food from my 72-hour bag and rolling with mainstay rations and a couple field-stripped MREs, to stretch my water reserves. Consider a silcock key, they are invaluable for filling up water bottles from clean sources and they're cheap. Finally, while a weapon on your bugout gear is a smart idea, consider a pistol holster for the waist belt. You'll be able to get it out much faster than trying to untie the rifle from the side pocket.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Fortitudine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland!

Post by Fortitudine » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:15 am

Thanks for the sarcastic well-wishes. You don't think firearms are practical for you: cool. Insinuating that I am foolish enough to walk through Chicago with a rifle in condition 1 slung over my shoulder: not cool. Unless law enforcement begins stopping civilians to search their bags absent probable cause, I think I'll be just fine.
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:46 am

I gotta say love your load out. But gotta agree with Crypto on the rifle if you want a firearm sweet keep a pistol close hell maybe 2.... But having a big ass long arm sticking out the side of your bag just BEGS people to target you. If there are cops out and see that they may just shoot first ask later, or not ask at all and just take what you have because they probably havent prepped.

Though with that said i think everything else looks great, though you may want to dye the pack, as you said... Walking though ORD with OD pack my also make you a target (assume you are walking) I'd choose something a little more gray man.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 am

Fortitudine wrote:Insinuating that I am foolish enough to walk through Chicago with a rifle in condition 1 slung over my shoulder: not cool. Unless law enforcement begins stopping civilians to search their bags absent probable cause, I think I'll be just fine.
I don't think he at all insinuated that you were a fool. You are from Chicago and by the way you spoke it was easy to infer that you might intend to sling your rifle up while bugging out of Chicago. I think he was saying that more in a "let's be rational" sense as opposed to you being foolish.

On topic: that is a SEXY pack, OP. I'm gonna go ahead and throw my vote towards ditching the AR. I'm not sure of your location, but if the availability of water is questionable at all I'd add some more water in addition to your camelbak. A water filter in addition to the purification tablets and boiling is also a good idea. Most of the waterways in the US are rich in heavy metals and high pH.

If you really want to have a long gun because you envision your bug-out being in the wilderness, then perhaps a lighter-weight alternative to the AR that can breakdown and store inside the bag would be more practical? Having a big, shiny AR on your bag would make you a prime target for someone that wants what you have.

That GoalZero charger is nifty as shit.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 am

IceMyst wrote:I gotta say love your load out. But gotta agree with Crypto on the rifle if you want a firearm sweet keep a pistol close hell maybe 2.... But having a big ass long arm sticking out the side of your bag just BEGS people to target you. If there are cops out and see that they may just shoot first ask later, or not ask at all and just take what you have because they probably havent prepped.

Though with that said i think everything else looks great, though you may want to dye the pack, as you said... Walking though ORD with OD pack my also make you a target (assume you are walking) I'd choose something a little more gray man.
In a REAL SHTF/Bug Out situation it doesn't matter what color your rucksack is. If people are desparate and it looks like you have ANYTHING of value, they will try to take it from you. This has been debated ad nauseum here:

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... hilit=Myth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "Grey/Gray Man" in a real SHTF situation is a MYTH!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:30 am

Mantup wrote: If anyone has any tips on how i can improve my pack or cut weight please comment below!
As always, what is your purpose for this bag? 3 days? 7 days? INCH?

Also, what is the current weight?
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

irukandji

Post by irukandji » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 am

Nice bag man, I own the V90 for my INCH and it's built like a tank. You'll love it once you get it adjusted just right. As far as gear and suggestions, do your own thing man. You know what you need for your own personal situation. Lotta good folks on here to learn from, but ultimately you are the one that needs to haul and use it. :D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 am

Mantup wrote:I finally got my bug out bag finished and I thought I'd share. There were not many pics of the V69 online when i researched it so I hope this helps someone who was in my shoes.

The bag itself is 8lbs and has a volume of 60 Liters. Mine is in the "military green" color which is just foliage green.

I start with filling up the bottom compartment with: USGI Jungle bag with bivy cover, 100ft 550 Cord, Snugpak poncho, BuscraftUSA Tarp, Pants & Hat.

I then put in my cloths bag that has all my base layers in the bag along with my cookware.

Also my fire steel, waterproof matches, water purification drops, small steel shovel, MSR Dragonfly & fuel bottle, and a shemagh go in the bag.

I like to put a nice thermarest pillow in now to fill out the slack "and i like to sleep with it".

Smaller items go in the top flap such as hygiene bag, protractor, surefire & surefire batteries, leatherman, gloves, Buck 119, Condor bushlore, fleece hat, and a neck gaiter.

There is still ample room for food at the top of the pack.

I add a poncho liner to fill out the rest of the excess space in the pack.

A Thermarest pad and defensive weapon are fitted to the pack. Pack is complete.

And a little extra protection if situation dictates.

If anyone has any tips on how i can improve my pack or cut weight please comment below!
First up, thank you for having the essentials. You have food, water, fire, REALISTIC clothing & shelter, first aid, and protection. It seems most BOB and INCH bags are miss something and its usually not firearms, knives and paracord.

That said right off the bat to cut weight, do you really need THREE knives of similar blade length? You have the condor knife, and the Buck knife in your pack and the SOG knife on your belt. I would definately dump one, or even better dump two.

Your mess kit seems heavy. You can replace that Stainless steel MSR alpine pot with Titanium pots or cups. I'm assuming that is either the 1.1 or 1.6 Liter pot. Just to let you know the 1.1L is about a pound and the 1.6L is 19.5 ounces. You will not need that much boiled water for your food, and those pots are a PITA to pour hot water from the pot into something like a MH or BP pouch meal. Something like a canteen cup, or if you want to stick with stainless a cup/pot like this 18oz GSI one would be perfect. Its 5 ounces and even if its you and someone else, if you both carry one combined, they are still lighter than one of those MSR pots.
http://www.rei.com/product/842865/gsi-o ... tle-cuppot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also cut the pack towel down, you only need 12"x12" max

With all due respect, because I know you paid good money for that pack, but 8lb for a 60L pack is INSANE. If you are not completely happy with that pack, there are tons of better, lighter weight option, including high end tactical packs full of MOLLE straps if that your fancy. I don't want to start a flame war with Eberlestock, but there are other options that can shave off anywhere from a pound to almost 4lb, if you shop around and do research.

Beyond that you can upgrade to a lighter weight pad, a lighterweight solar charger, maybe carry a Fiskar plastic trowel instead of the Udig to shave off a little more weight, but all in all the core of your BOB is great.

I'm also from the school that thinks that odds of a bug out on foot with the ability to openly carry a AR is really slim. Honestly I don't think its a pack weight issue, because if the SHTF hard core and you are walking out with an AR, you are not going to have it strapped to your pack, but you will be carrying it in your hands. Here is something to think about though, You may want some sort of rifle scabbard, or long pouch for your pack. This way you have a option to keep your rifle hidden from view, and also to protect it from the elements and getting banged up.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:58 am

I think this BOB is off to a good start. It's a bit difficult to critique, however, without knowing the purpose, life span and region for its use.

Here's a few thoughts, based on a cursory glance:
1. You've got water purification tabs, and the shemagh could be a filter, but maybe another way to remove debris during water collection?
2. A small method for signaling, unless I missed it, such as a whistle, mirror, or high-visibility cloth.
3. Back-up copies of personal records and information, permits for the weapons, along with some admin gear, paper, pencil, Sharpie.
4. Another water bottle might aid in water collection, instead of scooping from the pot. And maybe a metal cup.
5. Only skimmed the FAK, but I'd have at least some basic meds for diarrhea and pain. Hand sanitizer, too.
6. Eye protection, spare glasses? I dunno.
7. Tinder for your fire kit would be a plus.
8. Not too sure what you're eating, but man cannot live on Backpacker Pantry alone.
9. Maps of your area, even simple road maps, and a small compass.
10. A baseball or boonie cap--something to keep the sun off your head and neck. Don't forget about the mosquitoes.

That's about all I can add, based on what I know. If you wanna tote the AR, knock yourself out, provided you keep in mind that the name of the game is survival, not combat. Make a few upgrades and then get out and test the gear. Again, a nice kit, so far. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT TO ADD: 11. Hygiene items, even a travel-size tooth brush and paste and most importantly, toilet paper!

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:28 pm

I would supplement your flashlight with a headlamp for night walking. Also consider adding one to the 2nd pack for whoever may be carrying it.

Mantup

Post by Mantup » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Boondock wrote:I think this BOB is off to a good start. It's a bit difficult to critique, however, without knowing the purpose, life span and region for its use.

Here's a few thoughts, based on a cursory glance:
1. You've got water purification tabs, and the shemagh could be a filter, but maybe another way to remove debris during water collection?
2. A small method for signaling, unless I missed it, such as a whistle, mirror, or high-visibility cloth.
3. Back-up copies of personal records and information, permits for the weapons, along with some admin gear, paper, pencil, Sharpie.
4. Another water bottle might aid in water collection, instead of scooping from the pot. And maybe a metal cup.
5. Only skimmed the FAK, but I'd have at least some basic meds for diarrhea and pain. Hand sanitizer, too.
6. Eye protection, spare glasses? I dunno.
7. Tinder for your fire kit would be a plus.
8. Not too sure what you're eating, but man cannot live on Backpacker Pantry alone.
9. Maps of your area, even simple road maps, and a small compass.
10. A baseball or boonie cap--something to keep the sun off your head and neck. Don't forget about the mosquitoes.

That's about all I can add, based on what I know. If you wanna tote the AR, knock yourself out, provided you keep in mind that the name of the game is survival, not combat. Make a few upgrades and then get out and test the gear. Again, a nice kit, so far. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT TO ADD: 11. Hygiene items, even a travel-size tooth brush and paste and most importantly, toilet paper!
I have a space blanket with a reflective side in the med kit that is used for signaling. The hand sanitizer is with the hygiene bag, thats the ACU bag in the top flap that has my toothbrush ect. I forgot to put it in the pre-pack photo. Baseball cap is on top of the multicam pants :) and the shemagh can be used for sun protection. I still need to print off some proper maps, and add a fishing kit. The AR is not set in stone, i can always switch it out with a smaller rifle or just roll with my .40

Mantup

Post by Mantup » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Also, im not sure of the exact weight of the pack. I'd guess around 40-45 lbs but it feels like nothing, I have it set up so it molds to me perfectly. The pack also has a built in rain cover that I forgot to show, but it covers everything even with the sleep pad and rifle attached. So that could easily hide the rifle if i did bring it. I'm working on getting a small hunters wetterling axe also, to hang on one of the exterior loops.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm

+1 on the Goalzero Solarpanel Charger, Eberlestock pack, and the M&P's. Awesome Gear! A bit jealous to tell you the truth.

All I can say is do what works for you. Test your gear out in the field under different conditions and see how it holds up. From what I have seen it looks like you have quality gear.

Don't know if you have one but I would recommend a Fenix Brand Headlamp. They make ones that run on AA Batteries as oppossed to AAA batteries that are waterproof LEDs. Also I am curious as to what kind of Bug Out Footwear you have. That to me is just as important as what kind of bag, firearms, knife, etc.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Mantup

Post by Mantup » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 pm

ZomCon Sargeant wrote:+1 on the Goalzero Solarpanel Charger, Eberlestock pack, and the M&P's. Awesome Gear! A bit jealous to tell you the truth.

All I can say is do what works for you. Test your gear out in the field under different conditions and see how it holds up. From what I have seen it looks like you have quality gear.

Don't know if you have one but I would recommend a Fenix Brand Headlamp. They make ones that run on AA Batteries as oppossed to AAA batteries that are waterproof LEDs. Also I am curious as to what kind of Bug Out Footwear you have. That to me is just as important as what kind of bag, firearms, knife, etc.
The black boots in the back are Danner goretex boots. I also have a pair of merrell hiking boots. I have not been impressed with the Danner goretex boots, a eye rivet broke off when I tried to lace them tight only 2 weeks after buying them. So I would most likely turn to the merrell's to grab and go.

305Survivalist

Post by 305Survivalist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:29 am

Mantup wrote:
ZomCon Sargeant wrote:+1 on the Goalzero Solarpanel Charger, Eberlestock pack, and the M&P's. Awesome Gear! A bit jealous to tell you the truth.

The black boots in the back are Danner goretex boots. I also have a pair of merrell hiking boots. I have not been impressed with the Danner goretex boots, a eye rivet broke off when I tried to lace them tight only 2 weeks after buying them. So I would most likely turn to the merrell's to grab and go.

haha this foo is great, he got his shet together

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:34 am

Maybe consider replacing the insulated inflatable pad with a closed cell like a Ridgerest. Not as comfortable but bomb proof. Unless I missed it any specific info on your extra clothing? The bag looks nice. Thanks for posting the photos.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Good pack choice. Yes, it’s quite heavy for a 60 liter pack, but if you plan to do any “off-trail” or rough terrain packing, this will hold up well. I do light weight (not quite ultra-light) backpacking, but I still use Kifaru, Arc’Teryx or Mystery Ranch packs for more strenuous terrain.

Your situation and scenarios need to drive your requirements. Crypto comes off a little harsh, but he’s done his own assessment for his most likely scenarios and is planning around that. Biggest take away is to make your own assessments and then plan around those requirements.

All situations will be different. I would recommend a rifle case to at least “hide” the rifle if you plan to pack it. Either that or a non-descript case that doesn’t resemble a rifle is also a good option. I wouldn’t bug out without a rifle, but there are times (probably the most likely) that you won’t want to have any weapons visible and you need to consider and plan for it.

Great start; now get out and hump it. You can drop weight on individual items if you upgrade, but the best method is to use your kit and find out what works and what doesn’t.

ROCK6

LudisonMAndela

Post by LudisonMAndela » Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 am

great kit

im no expert but maby you should include some fish antibiotics just in case

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed May 01, 2013 8:25 am

LudisonMAndela wrote:great kit

Or just regular antibiotics. When I see my doctor, I just ask him for a script and tell him that it's for my hurricane preps. He hasn't declined me yet.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 am

NamelessStain wrote:
LudisonMAndela wrote:great kit

Or just regular antibiotics. When I see my doctor, I just ask him for a script and tell him that it's for my hurricane preps. He hasn't declined me yet.
Unless you are or have a medical professional with you, I would definately not play with fish antibiotics. Also unless you have some underlying issue, having antibiotics in your BOB's first aid kit may be a bit overkill. In your overall preps however having a Z-pak or Cipro is probably a good thing, its just you need a full course of it and know how and when to use it. Antibiotics don't do crap to viruses, and if you do have a bacterial infections and you skip a few pills, or don't take a full course it will decrease the effectiveness and the baterial infection can come back stronger and now more antibotic resistant. Also dosage is important, too little will be ineffective, while too much will get you sick or cause complications.

LudisonMAndela

Post by LudisonMAndela » Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 am

sorry i am a noob i just heard ppl used to include such

Return to “Bug Out Gear”