Alice is going back to work!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Usnlynx

Alice is going back to work!

Post by Usnlynx » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Some of you might find this interesting, some of you might already know this. I appologise in advance, I'm Navy, don't speak Army, and don't know much about their gear.

But...

A college buddy who is in the 325 Airborne, something or other, had an interesting post and conversation on his facebook last night. He is breaking out his old ALICE ruck. The conversation that insued talked about the MOLLE has failed to provide a suitable option for large scale Airborne Operations, so as part of the Global Response Force, and the variety of missions for which they could be called to perform, the ALICE is the choice of the force. So, it looks like Alice is being pressed back into service.

There...even got a Navy term interjected into an Army discussion. "Pressed" a reference to the drafting sailors into the Royal Navy back in the 1700's.

Will let you all know if I find out more. Just thought this was interesting...

Kilroy.45

Re: Alice is going back to work!

Post by Kilroy.45 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:40 pm

I wonder if they will be allowed to Hellcat mod them, that would make them a lot more comfortable. Very cool overall.

Shadoq

Re: Alice is going back to work!

Post by Shadoq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:28 pm

It is very likely one of those things that depends on local command.
In Afghanyland, we could roll whatever medium size pack we wanted as long as it wasn't flourescent orange and pink, etc....
Hell, I had a OD prototype Kelty Falcon for a bit for 3 day FOB hops. Thing got ditched fairly quickly because of some issues but the point is that with medium packs as long as you don't have someone who is bored in charge, you can get away with a lot.

I had thought about the ALICE too but I hadn't brought one with me so kind of ruled it out...

Return to “Bug Out Gear”