Washing Goretex/Dintex?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Washing Goretex/Dintex?

Post by moab » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Is it ok to wash goretex/dintex? I have a new set of commercial ECWCS jacket and pants and they are stiff as all hell. Thought I might send them thru the washer a few times. And hang dry. Or is dryer ok too?

Patrick
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Washing Goretex/Dintex?

Post by crypto » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm

moab wrote:Is it ok to wash goretex/dintex? I have a new set of commercial ECWCS jacket and pants and they are stiff as all hell. Thought I might send them thru the washer a few times. And hang dry. Or is dryer ok too?

Patrick
Most of the stiffness is due to the durable water repellant sprayed onto the outer fabric. You can wash them if you really want to but you're going to quickly reduce the lifespan of the coating.

Generally, the advice for anything with a DWR coating is not to launder it unless you absolutely have to.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

moab

Post by moab » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks crypto. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good. I'll just wear them in then.

Patrick
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:26 pm

I hadn't heard of Dintex before, but if it is similar to GoreTex, they should be laundrable.

GoreTex typically uses a thin layer of porous PTFE as the actual water repellent layer. You shouldn't be able to damage it by washing or by drying it at low temperatures (PTFE melting point is ~400F). I've heard warnings that you should avoid using detergents/surfactants on GoreTex or other water-proof items without sufficiently rinsing them off, because they may hamper the waterproofness by lowering the liquid water surface tension if any of it is left on the garment.

The DWR on the other hand (if applied to the garment) can be abraded off over time, but most are designed to last a few washings before reapplication may be needed. If the garment contains GoreTex, then the DWR is not strictly for waterproofing the entire article, but to keep the outer layers from absorbing water, and probably increase the water resistance at the seams. I think DWR coatings may actually decrease the natural breathabilty (not much to speak of, though) of dry GoreTex. Conversely, the DWR increases the breathability of wet GoreTex because it keeps the outer layers from becoming saturated. So depending on the usage condition, the DWR effectiveness definitely matters.
Last edited by JayceSlayn on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Read the instructions on the garment. IIRC, it's something like "warm soapy water and a soft brush, air dry."
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Well, the folks that make Goretex, they had this to sat-

Before laundering your garment, zip the front closure, pockets and pit zips completely, and fasten all flaps and straps. Be sure to follow the garment manufacturer’s instructions to ensure high performance.

WASH

Machine wash on a warm permanent press cycle (105º F/40º C) using a small amount of liquid detergent. Rinse twice, minimize spinning to reduce creasing. Do not use powder detergents or any products that contain fabric softeners, conditioners, stain removers or bleach as they will affect garment performance. Do not wash with heavily soiled clothing.

BLEACH

Do not use chlorine bleach.

DRY
Line dry your garment, or tumble dry it on a warm, gentle cycle. Once it is dry, tumble dry your garment for 20 minutes to reactivate the durable water-repellent (DWR) treatment on the outer fabric.

IRON
If unable to tumble dry, iron the dry garment on gentle setting (warm, no steam) by placing a towel or cloth between the garment and the iron. This will help reactivate the DWR treatment on your garment’s outer fabric.
DRY CLEAN

Gore recommends home laundering. If professional dry cleaning is necessary, request that the cleaner use clear distilled hydrocarbon solvent for rinsing and then spray DWR on the garment’s outer fabric before drying. Follow garment manufacturer’s instructions.
WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT

When the factory applied treatment can no longer be reactivated, apply a new water-repellent treatment available as a pump-spray or wash-in product to the garment's outer fabric.

So, from the mfg- there you have it.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

moab

Post by moab » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 pm

this is why i love this forum. thanks guys and girls!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm

JayceSlayn wrote: Conversely, the DWR increases the breathability of wet GoreTex because it keeps the outer layers from becoming saturated. So depending on the usage condition, the DWR effectiveness definitely matters.
If you aren't running around in the wet you dont need gore-tex at all :|

Dintex is for all practical purposes identical to gore-tex. The patents on Gore-tex recently ran out, so everyone can make identical garments now. But you can't call them Gore-tex because trademarks don't expire.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

moab

Post by moab » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:22 pm

crypto wrote:
JayceSlayn wrote: Conversely, the DWR increases the breathability of wet GoreTex because it keeps the outer layers from becoming saturated. So depending on the usage condition, the DWR effectiveness definitely matters.

Dintex is for all practical purposes identical to gore-tex. The patents on Gore-tex recently ran out, so everyone can make identical garments now. But you can't call them Gore-tex because trademarks don't expire.
My sigline says CA. But I spend most of my time outdoors in the PNW. Thus the Dintex. But I also fish sometimes in the rain here in Socal.

I also find the commercial ECWCS (Truspec) jackets to be the best BOB/INCH/what have you jacket there is. Plus they are the only ones that fit me. I'm over 6'3" and a big guy. They are thick and a little noisy. But supremely rugged. Hopefully if I run this through the wash a couple times it will lesson the noisyness. And be a little less like stiff canvas or something.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: IIRC, it's something like "warm soapy water and a soft brush, air dry."

This. Woolite or equivalent, hand wash or gentle machine cycle, air dry.

The waterproofing found in most quality Goretex/Dinex garments consists of two components. The principal component is the micro-porous PTFE (Teflon) laminate that JayceSlayn speaks of. It's fairly durable but can become clogged/damaged with aggressive detergents and mechanical agitation.

The second component is a topical water repellent that is applied to the outside of the garment and is hydrophobic. It allows moisture to bead on the surface and run off without soaking into the fabric fibers. It will begin to lose some of its effectiveness after just a few washings.

When this topical water repellent component is gone, the PTFE laminate will continue to provide a high degree of water and wind resistance but with the fabric now saturated with moisture, it will lose much of it's breathability and you will feel clammy in damp weather.

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm

I just recently used the Nilwax washes that Rei sells and it worked pretty well in restoring the water repentant in my old U.S. goretex parka.

Sorry it's Nikwax.
Last edited by Skull_Hide on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Make sure you report out on how well that Nilwax holds up over time. I've been looking for a new DWR treatment for my coats, all of which are between 3-10 years old and need re-treating badly.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 pm

crypto wrote:

Hehe. Yeah, I guess dry GoreTex doesn't make too much sense. I am used to wearing it in the dry around here since my outer jacket also makes a great windbreaker. Which is something that I have to worry about more here in the desert than rainfall, I guess. :P
crypto wrote:Make sure you report out on how well that Nilwax holds up over time. I've been looking for a new DWR treatment for my coats, all of which are between 3-10 years old and need re-treating badly.
Aside: I've used Nikwax to touch up some DWR on a pair of Blackhawk! Lightweight Tactical Pants, that are my go-to for grubbing around, and the water repellency has held up quite well through numerous washings and day-to-day scuffing. I've used their products on some other gear which doesn't get quite as abused, but it appears to be holding up there too.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Exploriment

Post by Exploriment » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 am

Return to “Bug Out Gear”