Bacpacjac's Spring > Summer BOB - Updated Pics

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Re: Please Help Me With My New Day Hike Kit/GHB

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Does all this gear fit inside your 60L pack? How much is outside the pack? Most Cub Pack overnighters in the lower 48 are car camping. Is your Canadian Cub Pack very outdoors oriented or will you be practicing your hike/pack skills while the other families are unloading their automobiles and setting up tents?
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:50 am

Evan, our group is very outdoors oriented. Every year in the spring, we take our third year Cubs on a weekend with Troop before they move on from Pack. This camp is a bit of a hike into our site, and then day hikes. In August, we take them on a week long portaging trip.

This year we also have the added delight of having a few Troop members ready to move up to Ventures. We've never had that section in our group before so they're starting from scratch. They've asked me to be one of their Advisors, and this trip will be their first.

Everything fits in the pack except the big poncho shelter roll and the sleeping pad roll. They strap onto the back of the pack, one above the shoulders and the pads on the front.

The kit is definitely bigger than day hike sized now. We're into BOB territory, which is ok. One of the intensions for this bag is that it be ready to act as my personal GHB, for potential use over 2 or 3 days, either as is or by adding additional shelter and/or food components. I don't want (and can't afford it anyway) to have three seperate dedicated bags for hiking/camping, GHB and BOB. (Though we do have an independant family BOB, it's intended to be used with our personal kite.) This modular setup will hopefully allow me the flexibility of grab-n-go, with just a few adjustments to move from a day hike to a few nights out.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, so all this tweaking now may all be for naught. It's not my heaviest set-up, but I haven't humped a load since last Spring so I suspect I'm going to find this kit too heavy. That's the point of field testing, right? I don't mind carrying a bit extra right, since I need to get back in shape after having a baby a couple of months ago, but ideally, I'm looking for a balance between feeling prepared and carrying too much.

There has already been a reduction in my cook kit. 4 stoves (canteen, hobo, alcohol and esbit) is overkill. They're all lightweight but it all adds up. The hobo stove is now gone, in favour of the esbit and canteen stove. The alcohol stove is untested so it's only in here for now on a trial basis. I like the esbit-canteen stove combo when I've got bigger meals planned, since it lets me get two cook pots going at the same time.
Last edited by bacpacjac on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:46 pm

bacpacjac wrote:There has already been a reduction in my cook kit. 4 stoves (canteen, hobo, alcohol and esbit) is overkill. They're all lightweight but it all adds up. The hobo stove is now gone, in favour of the esbit and canteen stove. The alcohol stove is untested so it's only in here for now on a trial basis. I like the esbit-canteen stove combo when I've got bigger meals planned, since it lets me get two cook pots going at the same time.
I like the combination of the soda can stove and the canteen cup stove. The soda can stove will fit under the canteen cup stove, which acts as both a windscreen and pot rest for the alcohol burner. If you run out of alcohol fuel, the canteen cup stove is still usable on its own twigs and other fuel.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Please Help Me With My New Day Hike Kit/GHB/BOB

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:57 pm

thanks ghost! we're thinking along similar lines. I don't need both the canteen and esbit stoves, and both should work well with the penny stove. The esbit gets lots of use during the hot fire bans months, so it's earned it's place. I keep the canteen stove because it's just so unobtrusive - weighs next to nothing and takes up no extra space. it also let's me get two lots going at a. time, so I can boil water as I fry my bannock.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

jbinbi

Post by jbinbi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Can someone recommend a small lt wt shelter to carry. I have a poncho, and space blanket. But need some thing short of a whole tent and poles. How are those tube tents? Or something else?

sent using tapatalk

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:39 am

I think it depends on what you're going to use it for and how you're going to carry it.

Our family has a limited budget and increasing knowledge, so we're in transition right now from more equipment to less. We have a Eureka tent that we use for family car camping. It's bomb-proof but at about 10 pounds, it's not very packable. Our family BOB has a tube tent, thermal space blankets, etc for a lighter-weight but cheap crude shelter. (We plan to add to it using natural materials.) We also have poncho/thermal space blanket/AMK bivvy kits in the two personal kits that would go along with the family bob. We're moving from tent to tarp camping, practicing natural shelter building, and working our way up to silnylon tarps and hammocks, but we're not there yet. Our 23 and 9 year olds are really getting into it, but with a newborn we're shifting gears yet again.
Last edited by bacpacjac on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:44 am

I think of the tube tent as a glorified contractor's bag or tarp. it's not a great shelter but a good building block for one. it'll make a quick, easy and cheap crude shelter, but works better if it's just one component of a shelter. Our AO is blessed with lots of pine, for example, so there's walls and bedding material available if we work for it.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Please Help Me With My New GHB/BOB

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help with this.

This started off as a make a new day pack exercise, but through the process, I realized that that's not really what I was after. What I really needed was a new GHB/BOB/extended stay kit, that can live in my Jeep. I had a baby three months ago, and it's really messed with my risks, needs, available space/weight, and also with my head. (For example, since I'm on mat leave now, my primary AO is no longer mostly urban, it's rural.) It's amazing how adding a new little family member (not to mention the coinciding sleep deprivation) will do that!

Since this revelation, I've made some adjustments, and am doing some fine tuning this weekend. I'll post an update soon.
Last edited by bacpacjac on Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Please Help Me With My Day pack > GHB/BOB

Post by bacpacjac » Mon May 06, 2013 3:46 pm

WooHoo! Spring has finally sprung here and it looks like we're going to have a chance for a little trip this weekend, before we head out with ZS 003 in a couple of weeks and with our Scouts group after that. The calendar is filling up fast and it's time to put this new setup to the test. I'm a little heavy right now (about 45 pounds with water) but will lighten up once we get into June and the weather is more stable. Also, once my new tarp tipi gets here, I'll swap it for my Winter Shelter Roll and I should be good to go. I can't wait.

Here's how she sits right now, setup as my personal BOB/GHB, which I can downsize quickly into a day pack or add to the family BOB, to support our family of five. It's much the same as captured in the above thread, just with a little more water, food and bedding added. I most frequently use this kit when I'm out with my nine year old and my Scouts, and it is part of the family BOB, so it's a little heavier in some places than it would be if it was just for me alone. It is the one BOB/GHB we take with us on family road trips too.

LANYARD *on body
Fox 40 whistle, squeeze LED, Gerber mini multi-tool, mini BIC

LM Wave Kit *on body
Wave
Maglite Solitaire
Ferro rod
Cotton balls/lamp wick

FIRE KIT *on body
Leather neck pouch with: ferro rod, BIC, tiny folding knife, jute twine, char cloth, tampon
Altoids tin with: birch bark, cedar bark, pine shavings, hoof fungus, pine pitch, jute twine, char cloth, spark lite

PACK
Jack Wolfskin Agadir Women's 65L

FAK
AMK Field Trauma Kit
CPR mouth shield + nitrile gloves
Heatsheets *1p
Triangular bandage
Squeeze LED
OTC Meds *Tylenol, Advil, Immodium, Benedryl *Adult and kid formulas
Purelle
Extra gauze pads
Extra bandaids
Maxi pads
Tampons
Resealable breast milk bags
Bug juice
Sun screen
Duct tape
SPF lip balm
Baby wipes

TOOL KIT
Trekking pole
Fixed blade knife
Laplander saw
Petzl e+ Lite headlamp
LED glow stick
Extra batteries *in Plano fly box
Frontier straw filter
AquaPUR tabs
AMK rescue mirror
Sunglasses
2 disposable ponchos
Compass
Local and trail maps *in waterproof map bag
Ziplock bags
SS snare wire
50 ft paracord
Leather Work gloves
Gorilla tape
Trail marker tape
Krazy glue
Deck of cards

WATER KIT
Platypus cantene or hydration bladder
SS water bottle and cozy
SS camp mug
Aluminum GI canteen
Canteen cup and cozy
Canteen stove
Aluminum foil
Bandana
Esbit tabs
MicroPUR tabs
Collapsible plastic cup

SHELTER KIT
Nylon GI style poncho
Plastic drop cloth
Heatsheets *2p
Paracord
ABS tent stakes
Chem body warmers
Bungee cord
Thermarest Z-seat
Silk sleeping bag liner *in dry bag with clothes
Winter Shelter Roll (rubberized GI poncho, thermal sports blanket, paracord, bungee cords, tent stakes)
Woobie/wool blanket *in dry bag
Inflatable thermarest/foam sleeping pads

CLOTHES *In dry bag, packed based on worst potential seasonal weather
Summer buff
Thinsulate watch cap (Flo orange)
Baseball hat
Liner gloves
Merino wool socks X 2
Underwear
Bra
Thermal wool/poly blend LS top *I'll take this out for something lighter in a few weeks
SS t-shirt
Lined wind pants
Micro fleece jacket
GoreTex jacket *I'll ditch this in a few weeks once I'm sure Mother Nature has made up her mind about he seasons
*Silk sleeping bag liner

*HYGIENE KIT
Wipes
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Soap
Bandana

COOK KIT
GSI kettle *Alchy stove gear is stored in here
Alcohol stove
Fuel 4 oz Heet *in Nalgene bottle
SA matches *in Coglahn's match safe
Bic
Bandana
Small SS pan with lid

FOOD KIT
Bannock mix
Peanut oil
3 cliff bars
3 oatmeal
3 instant coffee
3 hot chocolate
3 tang
MH Chili Mac n Beef
MH Buffalo chicken
MH mc n Cheese
Maple syrup crystals
Honey
2 x lrg tootsie rolls
Zip lock bags
Lrg SS spoon
Plastic MRE spoon
MH meal cozie

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Wed May 08, 2013 3:23 pm

It's been unseasonably warm here the last week or so and I'm looking forward to getting some dirt time this weekend. The warm weather is making me think of the little things that are going to have to find their way back into my BOB, (and my son's kit too), now that the seasonal switch into summer is approaching:

Bug spray
Sun screen
Baby powder
Seasonal allergy meds
Cotton button-up long sleeved shirt
Soft canteen/hydration bladder

I'm also on the hunt for a UV/Bug cover for the baby's playpen. It's not part of this kit, but part of her BOB. I'd chosen to give her her own BOB, that can ride in her jogging stroller, or with the lucky adult baby carrier. (She has a Snuggly too, in case we can't take the stroller with us in an emergency. Shiver.) We have bug netting for her playpen, and also a little sun shade tent thing, but I don't want to pack them. They're lightweight, sure, but bulky. A twofer would be delightful!

I'm also going to swap out the army surplus gas mask bag for a lighter weight stuff sack, for my day hike module [canteen/cup/stove/esbit tabs/bic/spork/fold-a-cup, poncho/heat sheets/plastic drop cloth/rope/stakes, bandana, H2O tabs, chem warmers, disposable ponchos] I love the gas mask bag but it's heavy. I was originally going to throw a shoulder strap on it for when I use it as a stand alone kit, but I think I'm going to carry my day hike kit in the black backpack shown in the OP instead, so I have more room to add in the required mom items like sun screen, bug spray, first aid kit, Frisbee, mini diaper bag, etc.

I've just been reminded that I am also added the hobo fishing rig I made with my son last year. He made one too I promised him we'd give them a go this year. Better throw a copy of my fishing license in too!

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Thu May 23, 2013 3:13 pm

We did a bit of a shakedown hike with the pack, and new shelter set-up test this past weekend. The weight of the pack was OK with my winter shelter roll (heavier than our new tarp tipi) but the pack was off-balance, so I'm rejigging things in prep for a hike next week, and three increasingly challenging camps over the next month - a cabin weekend this weekend, two nights at at camp with our Cub Scout Pack (in tents/tarps) in a couple of weeks, and then a five day portage on Georgian Bay with our Scouts at the end of June.

Here's a quick peak at hike number one with this BOB/GHB: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=107064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a look at our new tarp tipi shelter - http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=107038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My pack also gained weight with a new knife. My kids and hubby bought me a Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife (fine blade) for Mother's Day. It's almost a pound with the sheath, which is a little heavier than I'd like, but I'm going to try it out and see how it goes before I pass judgement.

Also added more cordage and a heavy duty carabiner for bear bagging purposes. Bug juice and a soft water carrier have also been added, along with long handled spoons for our MH meals, a new Lansky Quick wdge sharpener, allergy meds, a cotton T-shirt and a long sleeved cotton button-up shirt. Hobo fishing kit has not been added but will be for our portaging trip.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

BOB/GHB Dirt Time Updates

Post by bacpacjac » Fri May 31, 2013 2:59 pm

Doing some more fine tuning as I get out with the pack on my back every week, with our upcoming five day portaging trip in mind.

Metal canteen, canteen cup and stove are moving to my son's kit, replaced by a Outbound Robson Cook set (a two piece hard adonized aluminum set - almost a litre and almost a half litre, and my SS water bottle and camp cup nest perfectly inside) three 1L Playpus water carriers and my pocket esbit stove. It's a lighter setup and much better for the hot weather that's setting in.

I also added a second rip stop nylon GI style poncho and a Blister Medic kit in the past week. Threw in my bug nets too - a jacket and hanging one for the tipi kit.

My wool blanket and goretex jacket are gone too, in favour of the poncho and woobie. It's still getting cold at night (1C this past Saturday), but the woobie and silk liner should be fine, especially with a reflected fire.

I'm repacking for a three day two night trip next weekend, and will probably update again after that, before I take it to the wilds in the coming weeks.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: BOB/GHB Dirt Time Updates

Post by Boondock » Fri May 31, 2013 4:29 pm

bacpacjac wrote:Doing some more fine tuning as I get out with the pack on my back every week ...
That's the best way, keep it up.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks Boondocks. I agree.

Took itout for a hike again today, and then came home and made more adjustments as I thought about portaging a canoe (or baby) with it.

Here's how it sits tonight:

Jack Wolfskin Agadir 65L pack

LID
Lanyard (Fox 40 whistle, mini BIC, Gerber Clutch, fauxton LED - loop on belt)
Ball hat (ditch in Jeep if already wearing one)
Condor Buff-like thingy
Sunglasses
Hard case for prescription sunglasses)
CRKT 302 folder (in nylon sheath - for belt)
BIC (yellow, in nylon sheath - for belt)
Deck of cards
Fire kit (ferro rod, mini folder, tampon, jute, char cloth, Altoids tin with natural tinder bundle and char cloth - pocket carry)
Feminine hygiene kit (pads, tampons, wipes, Ziplocks)
Extra Scout Group Bandana

SIDE POCKET ONE
SS water bottle (1.5L)
Ozarks Trails SSCamp Cup & lid
Outbound Robson 2 PC adonized cook set (with lid)

SIDE POCKET TWO
Leather work gloves
BG Ultimate Survival Knife (fine edge)
Bacho Laplander saw
100 ft paracord
50 polypropylene rope
Tool kit ( in Ziplock and pencil case - LED headlamp, LED flashlight, extra batteries in Plano fly box, Frontier straw filter, 6 MicroPUR tabs, Sylvan compass, AMK signal mirror, eye glass screw driver, etc.)
Maps (in water proof map case)

FRONT POCKET
FAK (as above, AMK kit with duct tape, triangular, maxi pads, 1p Heatsheet, extra gauze, moleskin, AMK Blister Medic, Purelle, CPR mask, nitrile gloves, SPF lip balm, squeeze LED, etc.)
OTC and prescription meds (in original bottles, with instructions)
Hygiene kit (tooth brush, paste, soap, deodorant, floss, wash cloth)
Sunscreen
Bug juice

BOTTOM POCKET
Woobie (in dry bag)
Katadyn water filter
3 X 1L Platypus bags
2L collapsible water jug
20 Aquamira tabs
Bandana
Ripstop nylon GI style poncho

MAIN POCKET
Clothes (in dry bag - LS wool/poly shirt, LS lightweight cotton button up shirt, lined nylon wind pants, 2 X unders, 3 x merino socks, bra, micro fleece jacket, silk sleeping bag liner, bug jacket, Flo orange Thinsulate beanie)
Crocs
Food (in Ziplocks - 6X Cliff bars, 6 X oatmeal, 6 X hot chocolate, 6 x coffee, 6 X Tang, bannock mix, raisins, maple syrup, peanut oil)
Cooking (Esbit pocket stove and fuel tabs (X7), Alcohol stove and 4 oz yellow Heet, titanium spork, strike anywhere matches in Coghlan's plastic match safe)
Shelter (Plastic drop sheet, Ripstop nylon GI style poncho, 6 ABS stakes, 2 X 25 ft para cord, 2p Heatsheets, disposable ponchos)
Hobo fishing kit

PACK WEBBING
Bedroll (3/4 Thermarest inflatable pad, blue foam mat, small piece of wool blanket)
Tarp Tipi Kit (Tarp tipi, 50 polypropylene rope with carabiner on one end, 6 ABS stakes, 7 X 10 ft paracord)
Trekking Pole
Garbage bags
125lb NiteEyes SBiner

LATE SPRING & SUMMER BUSH EDC
Paracord necklace (micro photon, mini harmonica, 2 ft paracord)
Watch (Coleman digital)
Paracord bracelet
Merrell hikers
Convertible pants or BDUs
Poly blend T-shirt
LS Button up light weight cotton shirt or BDU top
Merino wool socks
Cotton-poly blend unders
Cotton-poly blend sports bra
*folder or Leather man on belt (listed in TOP POCKET above)
*BIC or ferro rod on belt (listed in TOP POCKET above)

Updated pics once I get my camera fixed or replaced soon. :vmad:

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bacpacjac's Spring > Summer BOB - Updated Pics

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm spending the next the next two weekends at camp, and have about four weeks until I take this BOB on a five day portaging MBO in black bear and rattle snake territory with my son and our Scouts. Here's how it sits right now:

Jack Wolfskin Agadir 65L pack
Bedroll
Tarp Tipi Roll
*OD Green GI Poncho roll is my old shelter kit that's being replaced by the Tarp Tipi

LID

Lanyard (Fox 40 whistle, mini BIC, Gerber Clutch, fauxton LED - loop on belt)
Ball hat (ditch in Jeep if already wearing one)
Condor Buff-like thingy
Sunglasses
Hard case for prescription sunglasses)
CRKT Mt. Rainier folder (in nylon sheath - for belt)
BIC (yellow, in nylon sheath - for belt)
Deck of cards
Fire kit (ferro rod, mini folder, tampon, jute, char cloth, Altoids tin with natural tinder bundle and char cloth - pocket carry)
Extra Scout Group Bandana
Sucrets
Gerber Mini Sharpener

Fire Kit

Fire Kit Contents:
Ferro rod and scraper
Tiny folder
Jute twine
Char cloth
Tampon
Altoids tin tinder bundle (secured with ranger bands and duct tape - char cloth made in our last fire, dried natural tinders including hoof fungus, pine shavings, birch bark, pine pitch, fatwood shavings, cedar bark)

UNDERSIDE OF TOP LID
Feminine hygiene kit

Fem Hygiene Kit Contents:
pads
tampons
wipes
Canesten
Ziplocks

SIDE POCKET ONE
SS water bottle (1.5L) in old merino wool sock
Ozarks Trails SSCamp Cup & lid
Outbound Robson 2 PC adonized cook set (with lid and mesh stuff sack)

SIDE POCKET TWO
Leather work gloves
BG Ultimate Survival Knife (fine edge)
Bacho Laplander saw
100 ft paracord
50 polypropylene rope
Tool kit
Maps (in water proof map case)

Tool Kit Contents:
*in Ziplock and pencil case
LED headlamp
LED flashlight
Extra batteries in Plano fly box
Frontier straw filter
Sylva compass
AMK signal mirror
Eye glass screw driver

FRONT POCKET
FAK (as above, AMK kit with duct tape, triangular, maxi pads, 1p Heatsheet, extra gauze, moleskin, AMK Blister Medic, Purelle, CPR mask, nitrile gloves, SPF lip balm, squeeze LED, etc.)
OTC and prescription meds (in original bottles, with instructions)
Sunscreen
Bug juice

FAK Contents (As above with Blister Medic)

FAK Contents
AMK Field Trauma Kit
Blister Medic kit
CPR mouth shield + nitrile gloves
Heatsheets *1p
Triangular bandage
Squeeze LED
OTC Meds *Tylenol, Advil, Immodium, Benedryl *Adult and kid formulas
Purelle
Extra gauze pads
Extra bandaids
Maxi pads
Tampons
Resealable breast milk bags
Bug juice
Sun screen
Duct tape
SPF lip balm

BOTTOM POCKET
Woobie (in dry bag)
Katadyn Mini water ceramic filter
Filter cleaning kit and extra hose
3 X 1L Platypus bags
2L collapsible water jug
20 Aquamira tabs
Bandana

MAIN POCKET
Ripstop nylon GI style poncho
Crocs
Hobo fishing kit

Clothes (in dry bag - LS wool/poly shirt, LS lightweight cotton/poly blend button up shirt, convertible poly/nylon pants, long johns bottoms, unders, 1 pr men's boxer briefs, 3 x merino socks, bra, micro fleece jacket, Flo orange Thinsulate beanie, silk sleeping bag liner)

Food KIt (in Ziplocks - 6X Cliff bars, 6 X oatmeal, 2 X ramen, 6 X hot chocolate, 6 x coffee, 4 X Koolaid, 4 X Tang, 1 X Idaho instant potatoes, 1 X MH Buffalo Chicken, homemade bannock mix, 1 X muffin mix, raisins, maple syrup, peanut oil, hot sauce, brown sugar & cinnamon, muffin cups, parchment paper)

Cook Kit (Bandana, Esbit pocket stove and fuel tabs (X7), camp soap and in GSI Kettle - Alcohol stove and 2 X 4 oz yellow Heet, titanium spork, aluminum foil, strike anywhere matches in Coghlan's plastic match safe, 6 MicroPUR tabs)

Hygiene Kit (toothbrushes, paste, floss, toilet paper, coffee filters)

Mini Shelter Kit (Plastic drop sheet, Ripstop nylon GI style poncho, 6 ABS stakes, 2 X 25 ft para cord, 2p Heatsheets, bug jacket)

Shoe Bag of Stuff

Poncho Mini Shelter Roll

GSI Kettle Kit

Bag o Chow

Clothes

ATTACHED TO PACK WEBBING
Bedroll (3/4 Thermarest inflatable pad, blue foam mat, small piece of wool blanket)
Tarp Tipi Kit (Silver Tarp tipi rolled with - 50 polypropylene rope with carabiner on one end, 6 ABS stakes, 7 X 10 ft paracord)
Trekking Pole
Garbage bags
125lb NiteEyes SBiner
Cheap carabiner
Safety pins

LATE SPRING & SUMMER BUSH EDC
Merrell hikers
Convertible pants or BDUs
Poly blend T-shirt
LS Button up light weight cotton shirt or BDU top
Merino wool socks
Cotton-poly blend unders
Cotton-poly blend sports bra
Belt
*folder or Leather man on belt (listed in TOP POCKET above)
*BIC or ferro rod on belt (listed in TOP POCKET above)
Paracord necklace (micro photon, mini harmonica, 2 ft paracord)
Watch (Coleman digital)
Paracord bracelet

Last edited by bacpacjac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Bacpacjac's Spring > Summer BOB - Updated Pics

Post by Boondock » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Looking good, Bacpacjac. Have fun on the trip.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks Boondock! I'm looking forward to it. Need it get out hiking with it a little more often to get in better shape. Having this baby took more out of me than I thought. ;)

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Bacpacjac,

You might like these videos, since they're from a scouting perspective and I know you're trying to lighten/refine your kit.

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1TEuPD6RD4

Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1TEuPD6RD4

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks so much, Boondock! I really appreciate it!

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:33 pm

GRRR!! Sorry about the pictures, gang. They were working just fine until I went over my bandwidth at photobucket and it wouldn't let me delete or edit anything to correct the problem. Once a potential sale, always a potential sale, I guess. :vmad:

I'm working on it!

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:01 pm

I like everything I am seeing, and it seems that your Cub Scouts get a bigger work out then most of the Cub's in my area. I am curious though; you carry a large fixed blade knife. Are you allowed to carry one in scouts because you are a leader, or are scouts also allowed to carry fixed blade knives? I ask because growing up in Scouts we were not allowed to, at one point the BSA thought about banning lockback knives as well -- this idea never really caught on anywhere.

I really like your kit, I would offer suggestions but they seem to have all been covered. Great work.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:18 am

Canada

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Boondock wrote:Canada
And, now wishing I was in Canada for scouts.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”