Bacpacjac's Spring > Summer BOB - Updated Pics

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Bacpacjac's Spring > Summer BOB - Updated Pics

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 am

All these MBOs are giving me a serious itch to get out! I've been working on a new day hike kit and could really use your help.

I'm a mom with two kids (ages 9 years and 2 months), I'm a Scout leader, I'm a little bit OCD. We live in South Eastern Ontario, where it's still winter but with Spring on the horizon. This kit is intended for day hikes that might turn into impromptu overnighters. It's also going to function as my GHB and be the basis of my extended trip kit.

I used the Bag of Bags theory to build this kit. I find it makes it easier for me to find things in the field and to adjust at home. I can lighten the day hike load by removing items. There's a lot of light and fire in here right now. It's just as easy to ramp it up a little by strapping gear on using the adjustable straps on each side of the pack. (i.e. jacket, down vest, wool blanket) or by removing gear to put in another kit (i.e. Moving to a full sized pack with heavier duty poncho or tent, woobie, sleeping bag, thermarest, saw, axe, bigger cook it, more food, etc. for longer or more remote trips.)

(Pics or it didn't happen, right? These are clickable thumbnails.)

The pack as it sits right now:

Top outside pocket: couple of emerg ponchos and my lanyard

Lanyard: Gerber Clutch, Fox 40 whistle, mini Bic, squeeze LED

Middle outside pocket: fixed blade, fire kit lanyard and a pen

Contents of fire kit lanyard: ferro rod, mini folder, char cloth, tampon, jute twine

Bottom outside outside pocket: a couple of garbage bags

Side pockets: Clif and granola bars, extra water bottle

The bags within the main bag:

FAK:

FAK contents: AMK Field Trauma Kit fortified with squeeze LED, maxi pads, extra latex gloves, condoms, blistex, duct tape, mylar blanket, triangular bandage, extra bandaids, extra alch prep pads, vaseline, moleskin, blister pads, extra gauze pads and resealable breast milk bags *no OTC meds at the moment because they're being replenished today. This kit usually has Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, Immodium and Gravol and all in adult and child versions.

Tool Kit: LED glowstick, LED flashlight, frontier straw filter, H2O tabs, LED headlamp, spare batteries (in Plano Fly box) altoids tin (char cloth, tampon, jute twine, bic)

Cook Kit: (in black nylon stuff sack) bandana, adjustable flame lighter, match holder (SA matches and cotton balls), H2O tabs, hobo stove, penny stove, fuel, aluminum foil

Extra Clothes: (in red light dry bag) hat, gloves, merino wool socks, merino blend ls shirt, lined wind pants, fleece jacket, silk sleeping bag liner

Shelter and Water Kit:

Contents of Shelter and Water Kit: shelter roll, canteen, canteen cup, canteen stove, heatsheets 2P, body warmers, bandana

Shelter roll: poncho, bungee, paracord, nylon cord, ABS tent stakes

EDITS

The food in this kit varies. Right now it's got the Ziplock bag shown with StarbucksVIA, hot chocolate, tang and oatmeal.

I've omitted my map and compass kit. It's being adjusted right now but essentially has: waterproof map case, Silva compass, local maps and trail maps.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Please Help Me With My New Day Hike Kit

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 am

I should note that:

1. I EDC: a photon on a paracord lanyard and a Leatherman Wave (with ferro rod, mag lite solitare and cotton balls in the sheath)

2. My EDC keychain is on a paracord bracelet with: Fox 40 whistle, squeeze LED, SAK, ferro rod and pill fod (with prescription and OTC meds)

3. Both my kids have their own survival kits that go with us on these trips. This is my son's:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=102081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4. I always check the weather forecast and dress in layers for the worst possible seasonal weather for my AO.

5. Most of my jackets have a few supplies in them too, especially ones I plan to wear when I'm off the pavement. This one's go a Gerber folder, a BIC, an LED, a bandana and a lanyard with a Fox 40 whistle.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Day hike kits can be a bit of a conundrum. Everyone's needs and region are different. Sometime's, my pack looks like this:

Weighs in at 25 lbs with water. I usually use this load out for training. But for bumming in the woods, I used a version of this last fall:

Maybe 7.5 lbs with water. I could use it for an emergency overnight. Neither example is intended as the be-all, end-all, just for ideas.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks Boondocks. Nice looking kits and video! Mmm... Jet Boil goodness. I can't afford one right now but it's on my wish list.

You're sure right when you say that there is no one size fits all solution. Heck, I update mine several times every season, and almost always after I take it out for some dirt time. Your kits remind me that I don't have any bug juice or sunscreen in mine right now.)
Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm

And I realize you go out with your kids much more than I do, which I think requires more gear as a precautionary measure.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm

I think you're right. My son has his own survival pack that's pretty comprehensive,, and he's really into bushcrafty/survival stuff - BUT - he's also a 9 yo boy, with ADHD to boot, so I expect him to misplace stuff. I carry extras for him (and my Scouts, neices and nephews) just in case.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 pm

How heavy is all that. You want to bring some stuff in case of emergency but not the kitchen sink. A daypack should be lightweight and nimble, not something that will make you hike harder or get you hurt, especially if you are hiking with small kids. Also redundancy is OK, but over redundancy is silly.

Here some suggestions.

How many lighters and firestarters do you have? Just to throw out there but 2 bic minis weigh less than a standard sized Bic, and the flame output is exactly the same. I know some hikers who have taken a 4 month hike and used a Bic Mini everyday for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, and still had enough juice to light it at the end of the trip. I would get rid of the the standard Bic and that adjustable no-name lighter, and the matches. Also another hint is with Bic lighters, get light colored ones. They are easier to find if dropped on the ground, and easier to see thru to know how much fluid you have left. Definately keep the Light my Fire Swedish Fire steel, good choice for a backup.

How many flashlights do you have? The Squeeze LED is OK for an EDC on a keychain, but for woods use its annoying and near worthless. I would dump the squeeze LED and one of those other flashlights. That LED glowstick/flashlight is actually water resistant, lightweight has a 1 hour emergency shut off, will last over 100 hours, and comes with an emergency whistle. If that Aluminum flashlight is a cheap 3 AAA in a plastic carrier to make what looks like a C battery, then I would dump that POS and keep that LED glow stick and the head lamp. I would pack the same thing in the kids day pack. If you have some extra cash I would get a nice Fenix or 4Sevens flashlight. Something small but powerful that has the same batteries as your headlamp. If it AA get a Fenix LD20. I like something that is over 100 lums on high yet if down to medium or low it will last over 8 hours. The LD20 can be bought for $40 US , cranks up 180 lums, is waterproof, and will last 13 hours on medium and 70 hours on low. Its good to have a super bright light if you are stuck in the dark and looking for a lost kid, yet have enough run time to walk home in the dark.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:56 pm

What's the story with that poncho? Is it a good one? My most used items within a daypack are.

1. Canteen/Platypus.
2. Poncho.
3. Headlamp.
4. Fleece pullover/thin jacket/vest/extra shirt/hat etc etc etc. Something if the weather should change based on the season.
5. Map/GPS/knowledge of the area.

I use other things like Bic lighters, sun glasses, filter straw, bandanna, bug spray etc etc etc but those 5 rule. I think you're good to go as the major concerns look covered.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:03 pm

As a BoB it's not too bad. As a day hike bag, it is over the top with redundancies.

I'll come back later with specifics. Got to commute home.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks guys! As I said, it's a work in progress and I appreciate the suggestions. We have three kids, including a brand new baby, so I can't afford upgrades right now, unless they're DIY, but I do have an ongoing wish list so suggest away!

Just want to clarify - this is a day hike kit, a GHB and the starting point for packing for longer/more remote trips. I made everything modular so I adjust for bigger or shorter trips.

I can easily remove the entire cook kit, since the canteen kit will work just fine now that the snow is disappearing. Ditto the altoid's tin or neck fire kit. I only need one of them.

I love BIC lighters, especially the mini ones. They are small, lightweight, cheap and simple - BUT - it's winter here and it can still get really cold, wet and windy. Same goes for Spring and Fall. Hypothermia is a very real threat. BICs are hard to use with cold fingers. BTDT. Not going to rely sole on one ever again. I want multiple redundancies in methods, but you're right, this is overkill. I love my ferro rod but sometimes you just want an immediate flame, hence the lighter and matches. Not to mention, that kiddo(s) are working on their budding fire skills so I like to have a couple of options for them.

There is lots of light in here. In part, that's because they none of them are great lights, but mostly that's because I'm often out with my kids and if we get stuck overnight, we're going to have some serious issues when combining the "OMG! We weren't planning to be out overnight!" and fear of dark. I keep the cheapo aluminum 3 X AAA light in the kit specifically for them. The one in the jacket pocket is just there because most of my jackets always have a few goodies in them. It's a habit I got into years ago, in case I ever found myself having to dash without grabbing my kit.

I should clarify about the squeeze lights. They weigh nothing and take up no space. I would never want to rely on them but I think I've only got two in there - one on my lanyard and one in my first aid kit. Both of these items are multiple environment use items for me. Both the FAK and the lanyard are at all scouting events with me, even in the gym for regular meetings. The lanyard is always on me and the FAK could be used by anybody. I can envision several scenarios when a little LED would come in handy so they are going to stay put.

Woodswalker, the poncho is not milsurp, it's "GI style". It's rip-stop nylon, lightweight, has reinforced grommets, snap closures (plastic not metal though) and is easily packable (56" x 90"), which is why I carry it in this kit. I've only used It as a poncho so far, except the day i bought it, brought It home and set it up lean-to style in the backyard. Maybe I'll do a review after our next trip, when we're going to play with it as a shelter. Heck, maybe it'll show up as part of my next MBO after action report, which will be the first time this pack hits the dirt! :-)

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Mikeyboy makes an insightful observation - have no idea how much it weighs (20 poundsish would be my guess) but this kit is too heavy. My immediate thoughts are that the canteen cup is an immediate weight-saver, ditto the bag the shelter/water kit is in. I'm probably going to take out the cook kit too, and only carry the alchy stove/fuel and some sort of a windscreen for it. The bag o clothes will also lighten up as the weather warms up.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm

bacpacjac wrote:
Woodswalker, the poncho is not milsurp, it's "GI style". It's rip-stop nylon, lightweight, has reinforced grommets, snap closures (plastic not metal though) and is easily packable (56" x 90"), which is why I carry it in this kit. I've only used It as a poncho so far, except the day i bought it, brought It home and set it up lean-to style in the backyard. Maybe I'll do a review after our next trip, when we're going to play with it as a shelter. Heck, maybe it'll show up as part of my next MBO after action report, which will be the first time this pack hits the dirt! :-)
I think that poncho will be just fine.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:05 pm

First, let's not try to make this be the bag of a thousand functions. Looking at the stated objectives as a "day hike kit" let's look at your worst case scenario. Real ones, not North Korean EMP devices, cosmic collisions nor re-animation of the recently deceased.

You are on a day hike, with your 9 yo child. The weather turns bad, wind, rain, then hail, then snow. You either can't see the trail or the precip is coming down so hard you just can't walk with your child.

Whacha gonna do? Hunker down, conserve body heat, wait to be found or the weather clears enough to walk out. What do you need for that? Shelter, heat, clothing to keep you warmer, drier. Food for an overnight. Water. You don't need to cook. Cold Clif bars will do. Being able to rig a tarp Sil-Nylon tarp and some of those reflective space blankets to reflect the heat of a small fire back on you will do wonders.

I will make one observation, rather than carry batteries for your LED light, just carry a second light. These things use such little power that if a Pezl headlamp fails, it's the lamp, not the batteries, so just have a second lamp.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:As a BoB it's not too bad. As a day hike bag, it is over the top with redundancies.

I'll come back later with specifics. Got to commute home.
Within the context of a day hiking bag what does that really mean? More thinking to myself as apposed to being critical of any one. If a person has 10 ways to start a fire when they only might need one but should pack 3 how much extra weight is that within a bag that might be less than 10 pounds? If they have too many lights or knives do the extra ounces matter for a day hike? I have pointed out redundancies at times only to wonder why and to what end later on? Granted if someone is asking for help to reduce pack weight or is having issues fitting all their gear inside redundancies can add up. This might be the case here.
bacpacjac wrote:Mikeyboy makes an insightful observation - have no idea how much it weighs (20 poundsish would be my guess) but this kit is too heavy.
I don't know? I am probably just rambling on about nothing. :lol:

Edit.

Forgot to mention that LED headlamp isn't water proof and might fail if exposed to really heavy rain or dunked. But there is a pro to being a cheap gear item. There really isn't much in the way of electronics to damage if wet. Once dry it should work again or at least that was my the case with mine, over and over again. I still have it someplace in the house but upgraded some time ago.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 pm

I guess it would have helped for me to elaborate.

I'm confident that I could walk out the door right now with my edc, leave the pack behind, and survive the night in the forest out back just fine. That said, the weather is cold but clear. Also, I like multiple redundancies on the basics of water, shelter, fire and light, especially when I'm out with my kids. I don't want to debate about the definitions of of EDC vs daypacks vs GHBs vs BOBs. The way I see it, a day hike could easily turn into an overnighter and, depending on where I am and what the Get Home scenario is, I could be looking at three days.

No, I'm not planning for an EMP, nuclear way, civil unrest, etc., but other than the potential for foul weather, my AO has two nuclear plants, a major national HWY and RR , and also has major industry. There have been 2 train derailments and chemical fires in the last year or so not far from where my family often hikes. The area was evacuated because of a chemical just a few weeks ago actually. (Maybe I should stop planning and just play somewhere else?)

I could probably MacGuiver it for three days with my edc if the weather wasn't too bad and I was in good health, but why? Especially when I'm also never solo and my most frequent partners are my kids, Scouts and neices & nephews, I need to make sure I've got my basis covered.

Individually, I like all the equipment in this kit and know it all works well for me. (Except the alcohol stove, which I can't judge yet because it's my first one and I've only lit it so far, not field tested it.) Likewise, I like the individual kits within this kit. They all work brilliantly when I expand the kit for longer camping trips. (i.e. bigger pack with sleeping bag, Thermarest, more robust shelter, etc.) Where I get stuck is the sum total of the parts. I can't always see where there's "silly" overlap. (Mags' BOB thread makes my head spin with all those options. Thank goodness I don't have money to indulge my gear addiction anymore.)

It's either a reality of parenting young children or i'm being lazy, but I don't want to have to rebuild my kit every time I go out, and I don't want to build a second kit to be a GHB/BOB. (We do have a dedicated family BOB that lives in the garage, BTW.) I'm the mom of newborn and a 9 yo with ADHD. I simply don't have time. For the foreseeable future, if I have a chance to get out, I need to be able to just pick-up and go. Other than seasonal adjustments (which is what I'm doing now) if have to pack more than food and water I might never make it out of the house. Also, I just don't have room in my Jeep anymore to haul the kitchen sink around. One Seat is Now dedicated to the baby's car seat and there's a stroller parked where my big GHB used to live with room beside it for a daypack.

O, I guess what I'm after here is two things:

1. Do I have any glaring omissions? For example, Boondocks reminded me that I have no bug or sun protection and Woodswalker reminded me that I forgot to add sunglasses. Thank you both! I also got a pm a little while ago pointing out that I have very little to facilitate rescue. No cell phone, no PLB, no signal mirror, no trail marking tape, etc. (I've since added my AMK signal mirror.)

2. Are there any glaring weight savings with what I do have? For example, Mikeyboy's suggestions for better flashlights were great!
Last edited by bacpacjac on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 pm

My sincerest apologies to BacPacJac if I came off sounding critical. I was short on time, so I should have waited to write something more thoughtful later. To answer WW's question, I consider a day pack to be a pack that carries the modern 10 essentials to sustain a person for approximately 8 - 12 hours of moderate physical activity, with the emergency capability of an overnight stay outdoors.

The ten essentials being

Navigation (map and compass)
Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)
Insulation (extra clothing)
Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
First-aid supplies
Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)
Repair kit and tools
Nutrition (extra food)
Hydration (extra water)
Emergency shelter

Edit: We must have posted within seconds of each other. I would add a couple of bandanas. I always have one in blaze orange and one in an earthtone.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks for the headlamp feedback Woodswalker. Getting wet is a very real possibility. I forgot to list it but the contents of the tool kit are in a zip lock bag inside the red bag.

Thanks also for poncho confirmation. I was quite proud of myself for purchasing that poncho with the purposes of this kit in mind. I resisted the urge to go whole hog and carry the full on winterize GI issue poncho. Maybe there's hope for me yet. :clap:

Evan, thanks for the flashlight/batteries suggestion. If I carry a second of the same light I've got spare batteries and parts. I really like that idea. Of course, it also has the potential to be earn the "silly redundancies" label. ;)

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:My sincerest apologies to BacPacJac if I came off sounding critical. I was short on time, so I should have waited to write something more thoughtful later. To answer WW's question, I consider a day pack to be a pack that carries the modern 10 essentials to sustain a person for approximately 8 - 12 hours of moderate physical activity, with the emergency capability of an overnight stay outdoors.
Oh, Goodness no, Evan. I need to think critically about this and really appreciate your feedback. Hopefully I'm not coming off as defensive. These kits can become very visceral and thinking it through in the public eye isn't always comfortable. I apologize if I made you feel that way.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 pm

A fleeting thought about not needing to cook: one of the best ways to address oncoming hypothermia is a hot drink.... a thermos filled at home will work, for short trips but heating water on the fly is necessary for longer ones unless you have a Sherpa, which I do not. ;)

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Please Help Me With My New Day Hike Kit/GHB

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 pm

FYI: I added GHB to the thread title to help clarify the intended purpose of this bag. :words:

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:14 pm

One minor update: We're hoping to get some firecraft practice in on our road trip this weekend, but we might not make it to the bush, so I swapped out the Altoid's tin for another that's loaded with birch bark, shoe fungus, cedar bark, pine shavings , pine pitch and a cotton ball, along with a SparLite. (I want my son to learn to make fire with natural materials, so I try to give him as much practice as I can.) He's getting pretty good at identifying them. Next steps are prepping and ignition.)
Last edited by bacpacjac on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:18 pm

We're hitting the road tomorrow for a five day road trip and this pack is coming with. It's going to get some dirt time and it's also going to be the family emerg kit in case of a storm or breakdown. I'm going to repack in the morning so thought I'd shake the tree for more ideas before I field test it. Thanks for all the great food for thought so far.

I've already added my AMK signal mirror and swapped Altoids kits, as noted above.

I'm going to remove the lighter and water tabs from the cook kit but leave the rest. It's brand new and I want to test it before we take it out for an extended MBO. It's still winter here and we're travelling in an AO that's prone to major snow and ice. Hot drinks and food are good for moral and for the fight against hypothermia, especially with 2 kiddos who are both highly suspectable to cold injury. That will leave the pack with one mini BIC (on lanyard), one container of matches (in cook kit), one SparkLite (in Altoids tin, as much for practice as for emergencies) and a ferro rod (in leather neck pouch). Seems reasonable to me. I do edc a lighter and ferro rod but there's a chance my hubby will take my son out instead of me so this leaves them with four methods other than rubbing sticks or trying to figure out granite and steel. That makes mama bear happy. (Hubby EDCs a lighter too, but BICs and cold weather aren't very compatible.)

I'm swapping out the canteen cup for a lighter model. The one in there now has a great handle but it's really heavy. (Sorry I don't know my canteen cup terminology)

I'm removing the 3XAAA led flashlight.

I'm ditching the fleece and leaving it in the Jeep. We all dress in multiple, seasonally appropriate layers, and that always includes a fleece or wool-blend sweater. I've already got a change of clothes in there, and we'll have a couple of changes in the Jeep anyway since we're visiting relatives on this trip.

OTC meds have also been updated in the FAK (Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, Immodium and some kid's tylenol and gravol.)

The potential for getting stuck in foul winter weather makes me want to move to a bigger pack and add sleeping bag, woobie, thermarest, rubberized GI poncho (French or German issue, can't remember) BUT it would be overkill. I'll pack that stuff in the Jeep with the wool blanket that lives in there. Heck, if the weather turns out OK, maybe my son and I can sleep under the stars, while Dad and baby stay inside. (My hubby does not like the cold so he doesn't sleep out until June.). Probably won't happen but a girl can dream. :-)

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm also going to throw in my brand new Baccho Laplander saw. I've been itching to try it out and this is the perfect opportunity. Thanks again Omega Man for donating the prize to the Fall MBO contest!

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm going on a weekend hike and overnighter with my Cub Scouts in a few weeks, so I'm tweaking this kit a bit and taking it out for some dirt time. I changed packs from the 22l Kodiak to my 60l Jack Wolfskin Agadir. It's a bigger and heavier pack but it gives me room inside to stash:

-my shell and fleece
-hygene kit (deodorant, tooth paste, tooth brush, camp , bandana, soap)
-more food (i.e. 1 x MH Chili Mac, 1 MH Buffalo Chicken, 1 small muffin mix, 1 lrg banncok and 2 oz of peanut oil)
-my esbit stove, GSI kettle and a small frying pan
-SS water bottle

Other changes:

I found a 1p Heatsheets blanket in a bag of extra gear so put in the FAK instead of the cheaper Mylar blanket

I plan to add my closed-cell foam pad, thermarest, sub-zero sleeping bag and heavier duty shelter roll (rubberized German-issue poncho, Sportsman thermal blanket, tyvek ground sheet, paracord, bungee cords, tent stake, chem hand warmers.) I'll remove the small shelter kit from the gas mask bag when I add the bigger kit.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”