Solo Stove-Any users?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Shadoq

Solo Stove-Any users?

Post by Shadoq » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:42 am

Hey gents,
Was considering a Biolite stove for my stove needs but after doing some more reading on the Biolite and some of it's weaknesses, I think I will go for a Solar Joos panel for device charging instead.

At this point, I am looking for a stove that burns wood as well as alcohol and I've seen good mention of the Solo.
The stove would be planned for 1-2 people max. I'd like to use it whenever I actually get around to doing some walking about with the ability to carry either a minimal amount of canned fuel or pickup some sticks depending on where I am.

So,looking for some feedback from any users out there. Chime in and let me know what you think of the Solo :D

Thanks!

Quartermaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Re: Solo Stove-Any users?

Post by Quartermaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Go to ReproRations and take a look at the little stove mount that uses sterno can. This can be modified with a round piece of steel for a base to use as a small woodburner. Personally, I use a dingle stick and a small fire to boil my tea, eggs, and meat but this little stove may be what you need. Also, check out the Emergency Essentials website for some ideas.

Quartermaster

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:49 pm

If you are into some light DIY:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... a#p2306356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IKEA utensil holder stove. I burned wood, BBQ briquettes, alcohol burners in it.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Plenty of posts on here about DIY stoves, alcohol and woodgas/hobo/rocket. All are plenty light and easily constructed within an hour at the worst. Just throw your words in the search and press the button, hours of perusing enjoyment and lots to learn. :)
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Quartermaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Quartermaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:41 pm

There are a couple of other options for flammable materials to boil your tea & rations; one is well dried animal dung, another is bones fresh from a kill. Both can be used as the main fuel in a fire although the latter smokes some & smells like burning fingernails. However, the smoke passes off quickly once the soft tissue is consumed. Before starting a bone fire, remember to split the long bones and extract the marrow. Tastes good warmed and spread on a toasted piece of pilot bread or hardtack. Of course, you can use a some of the marrow in place of candle or paraffin wax as tinder.

About the only two places I don't know much about fires are the tundra and the polar regions.

Quartermaster

Fortitudine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland!

Post by Fortitudine » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:37 am

I just picked one up last week. I posted a small review here:

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... &start=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Overall, I love the stove and would absolutely recommend it.
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? ... Has Great Britain any enemy in this quarter of the world to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other."
-Patrick Henry

Return to “Bug Out Gear”