Does anyone not have food in the BOB?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

FailQuail

Does anyone not have food in the BOB?

Post by FailQuail » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Just wondering if anyone chooses to not carry food in their BOB? I find that I personally don't really suffer that much from not eating, and if you're in America it would likely take you months to starve. I'd love to hear people's take on this. I usually only eat 1-2 big meals a day, and I have gone a couple days without eating before and not felt weak or emotionally tormented. I have exercised while fasted, also felt fine. When you're in fat burning mode from lack of food intake, you are essentially constantly in that "second wind" that runners experience. I wonder if when people are trying to whittle down their gargantuan BOB's, maybe they should remove calories. I think at most a very small jar of peanut butter would get me through for 3 or 4 days. This is of course assuming the BOB for approximately 72 hour philosophy. But also, most things that happen are just minor or personal disasters, house burned down, medical emergency etc, so it's more likely you could still buy food somewhere within a couple days distance anyways than it is for you to have the last available food on earth.
Look forward to your thoughts. I'm sure many will feel this as a ridiculous thought, but please play nice. I'm just trying to help. I can't tell you how ridiculous it seems to me when I see a BOB video on youtube and the guy is 60 lbs overweight and he's carrying all this food. He could probably benefit from a few days without eating while going for a walk.

TheFishinMagician

Re: Does anyone not have food in the BOB?

Post by TheFishinMagician » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:47 pm

I agree with your observations about Ketosis. Fasting triggers the body to burn fat and, in essence, feeds you.

I still carry food in my packs because even though kits are made to cover you for a pre-determined time frame, things can go wrong. A BOB/72 hour kit may become a "two week or longer/INCH kit" if situations change or worsen, all of a sudden.

For that reason, I always try to make my food choices "multipurpose" in a way, whenever possible. Not only can they feed me immediately, but they can also be used to bait traps, snares, fishing set-lines, etc. Things like dried fruit, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, and beef jerky can all be used to secure fish, fowl and game in a longer-period event.

Emergency situations are also very stressful on the body, causing you to burn more calories. It's true...some people can spare a few pounds of body fat and not be any worse for the wear, but it's still not a situation I think is smart to "push your luck".

If you can "forsee" the end of a disaster, then it's not really a disaster, is it? It's more like a temporary inconvienience. I think it would be foolish to plan for an emergency by setting up a BOB (or similar emergency plan) and not include, at the very least, some basic food items like granola bars or something.

Food also is a great "Morale booster", which is also very important during stressful situations, like emergencies/disasters.
Last edited by TheFishinMagician on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 pm

I guess it would depend on what your bail out situation is. If your bailout plan in to drive 10 miles across town to a friend or family member's place... I say food isn't required. If you plan includes more than one day of travel... You probably want to include a little chow.

I know that when I get hungry I get edgy. I know when I am under stress, fighting, stepping it out with a ruck, sleep deprived, or driving in convoy for hours decision making gets tough if you add hunger into the equation.

Personally, I keep about 2 days of rations for the wife and I in our BOBs simply because I want it to ba a grab and go. What ever the emergency is that would drive me to bail out, I don't want to have to think about grabbing a bunch of extra stuff.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

LittleQuick

Post by LittleQuick » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 pm

A stripped MRE minimum. Except for bagless EDC. Even then I will probably have a clifbar tucked somewhere.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

eugene

Post by eugene » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:23 pm

I believe you don't start to live off your stored fat until you have fasted for a while, I can't remember the numbers but it was a day or so.
Also if you go a while without food then eat a large meal then you get really tired as your body works to process that food.

My setup is to carry light and easy to eat food like trail mix, clif bars, etc. I don't want to have to setup a stove or digest a large meal but I want food just in case. Sure you can go a day or two but what if you were trapped at work for a day or two before you could bug out and then have a day or two walk after that?
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

rule9

Post by rule9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:44 pm

After some fasting the importance I placed on food in short-term scenarios actually increased. Whilst I felt physically capable enough while fasting, I went through periods of feeling quite fuzzy-headed. Add in potential factors of emotional distress, pain, and so on, I want at least a few calories to help preserve my ability to make good decisions.

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:18 pm

I agree that people that are overweight could use a bit of work carrying less calories, but I think that should be remedied by losing weight, not fasting.

There are many ways to cut the weight from a pack. Carrying less food may work for some. Not bringing a third tarp may work as well. More calorie dense foods could save weight but still offer the same fuel to keep going.

The last multiday hike I went on, I had a bit more food than I needed. I let my body decide how much to eat and when to eat it. The ramen after the rice & beans wasn't required. The jerky two hours after breakfast was a perfect pick-me-up. I had rolled my ankle early the previous day and I still had miles to travel. I had a hard enough time concentrating on my path, and even thought I was lost for a while. Taking a break to rest and eat something small, gain some energy and wits, and then continue on with some morale was the best thing in that situation.

YMMV, PYOP (HYOH), ETC

similar post from a few months ago. http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 7#p2153657

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:26 pm

I keep a 3600kcal Datrex pack in my BOB, thats it. I can go a few days without 3 hots and a cot.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Camoclysm

Post by Camoclysm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:30 pm

My hunting pack is pretty much my "mini BOB" and I always have a can of Chunky soup (with pull tab) in it, along with some beef jerky. I can't imagine a true BOB not having at least some canned goods in it. One can of Chunky soup doesn't take up much space. Personally, I have a hard time functioning if I haven't ate or drank for 24 hours, and especially being awake for over 24 hours.

In my opinion, food and water is a MUST for any BOB.

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 pm

While i could survive on the lard i have put on over the last decade or so, NOT having at least some basic food is a little foolish, particularly in the cold, IMO.

To get this, you wil have to make it yourself. I don't like relying soley on resources i have to buy, at least for the important things.

two, 4 OZ vaccum sealed packets of pemmican- the real stuff, made yourself, can be carried in just about any kit or garment, and made into a stew in a can, steel cup, ect, putting heat and fat calories in you.

Having gone without food before, i know i can do it. But, ALSO having gone without food, i know what the old timers meant by "grease hungry".

a few ounces of pemmican, pinole, bannock, chia seed, ect, in sealed containers can give you an edge in survival- isn't that why we carry shit to begin with? Sure, i can do without food, like i can do without a knife...but if i have any say, I'll DAMN SURE have a knife or two.

slidign afew snickers/cliff bars, jerky, ect into a bag is not that much of a stretch.

Deenie7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

Post by Deenie7 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I even have 3 Clif Mojo bars in my GHB (for my 15 mile work commute) just because you don't know what you'll run into, who around or with you might desperately need food, or just for the comfort that I am not without food at hand. I definitely understand the theory that it's not nearly as important as shelter, fire, water, etc, but for my BOBs I just have a few freeze-dried backpacking pouches, a few Datrex bars, and a couple of random snacks. Not a big camp kitchen production by any means.

Sins

Post by Sins » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:00 pm

I throw a few mayo and honey packets in mine. About 16 of each.
It totals about two days worth of food if things get really desperate. Takes up relatively little space, and weighs maybe a pound.

Camoclysm

Post by Camoclysm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:06 pm

^ Agreed with what somebody said about how food is important especially in cold weather. It's a good idea to eat a meal before bed because the body warms up as it digests the food.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Have you ever tried walking 20 miles without eating, or done something else suitably exerting? Not knocking you or anything, you may well be fine off stored fat reserves, but it's important to know how your body reacts to something like that if you are going to rely on it.

I have found it most unpleasant...

Even just a couple of granola bars to keep up your blood sugar and get a bit of electrolytes makes a world of difference.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:44 am

I don't carry food in my BOB(INCH, actually. I carry it in a smaller bag attached to the outside of my pack.
Easier to hang in a tree away from critters, less food oder on the gear in my pack.

Now, carrying calories with you is important. Doesn't matter that you can go quite awhile without eating. Doesn't matter that you may have enough body fat to supply you with a weeks worth of calories.
You need to delay tapping into your body's reserves as long as you can manage in a disaster......until it's over and things are back to "normal" don't count on your next meal unless you have it in your hands.

If you were going out to sea for a day of deep sea fishing, would you intentionally neglect to pack a lunch with the intent of eating the lifeboat emergency rations?
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun May 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Thought I would revive this thread as something new came up to add.

So we were watching Mythbusters tonight as there seem to be some new episodes on Netflix. The one we were watching is if a slap to the face really will make you come to your senses. They would go to an indoor range and did some shooting drills where targets would face them at random and they were scored on how many times they hit the bad guy target and not the good guy target. Then they would be shut in an iceboox for a while and be cold, tired and hungry and then do the drill again.

I thought that may be a good idea to try. Go to a range and do a shooting drill then live off BOB food (or no food at all for those choosing that option for their BOBs) then do another shooting drill and see how it affects you.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun May 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Confucius wrote:Have you ever tried walking 20 miles without eating, or done something else suitably exerting? Not knocking you or anything, you may well be fine off stored fat reserves, but it's important to know how your body reacts to something like that if you are going to rely on it.

I have found it most unpleasant...

Even just a couple of granola bars to keep up your blood sugar and get a bit of electrolytes makes a world of difference.
Yah, there's data, looking at runners and hi vs. low carb diets. (Low carb diets are either deliberately inducing ketosis, or certainly make it easier to get there). Aerobic performance degraded on the low carb diets. My takeaway - I'll be able to haul that BOB around more effectively if I'm not in ketosis. If I'm actually having to bug out without the car, then those calories are really important, even tho I currently have plenty of fat to burn. Also - kids!!! A lot of us have them and therefore plan to bug out with them. Their behavior degrades with hunger in a normal situation, never mind one where you really need the bug out bag. And sudden ketosis is not ideal for the health of a growing child either.

Food does take up an unfortunate amount of space/weight in the BOB's, but right now that seems to be the best trade off to me. (And I'm talking BOB, not INCH, mind you)
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Mon May 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Gotta have some food. Some kind of chow. Even if it's across the city travel only. What if your not alone? what if your injured and the travel takes longer? what if the temp is low and you burn through calories? what if you are fighting and need calories? what if your trapped for a time somewhere?.......BTW, can't give folks that have not eaten a lot of food quickly. Matter of fact, SAR medicine used to state an IM shot of Thiamine first. Helps the liver metabolise glucose........so don't stuff someone's cake-hole is they have not eaten in a while.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Mon May 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Depends on the season. In warm weather, I carry about 1200 calories a day for 5 days, plus an MRE, becuase I know I have to make myself eat if I'm working hard and it's hot out. In cold weather, 3500ish per day. But that's my body- your milage may vary- litterally.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Home BOB: Jerky, nuts, dried fruit, some hot drinks, candy.
Work BOB: Same thing and an MRE entree pouch.

I got plenty to spare at my beltline, mostly for morale and to chase the pangs away.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

DementedDigital

Post by DementedDigital » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm

No food in my GHB, but I do have some instant coffee. I keep a couple of meals in a BOB.

I've fasted for a week on only water, and I know that (other than the caffeine headaches on days 1 and 2, that I'm OK up to day 3. (Of course, this was with little physical activity.) I think that - for me - no food is fine for a GHB, but for a BOB it makes sense to carry something.

RugbyFire
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, planet terror

Post by RugbyFire » Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 pm

If you choose the "no food" way to your main BOB plan... at least try to have something to stop dry-mouth. Maybe some gum or sweets. At least thats what I would do.
oh shit... more Zombies

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue May 14, 2013 6:28 am

RugbyFire wrote:If you choose the "no food" way to your main BOB plan... at least try to have something to stop dry-mouth. Maybe some gum or sweets. At least thats what I would do.
A friend told me an old boy scout trick was a small clean pebble under the tongue will keep your saliva going. Never tried it though.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue May 14, 2013 7:36 am

People whose plan involves not eating during an emergency situation to save weight in their BOB will be less effective at thinking and moving and reacting in potentially dangerous situations...

...and will end up one of those piles of rubble/rubbish that I search for gear in video games.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”