Grey Ghost Gear Full Size Pack - lots of pics!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

offcamber

Grey Ghost Gear Full Size Pack - lots of pics!

Post by offcamber » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Howdy all,

Just wanted to post up some pics/info on my new pack purchase. Its a Grey Ghost Gear Full Size Pack available here:

http://www.greyghostgear.com/packs/full ... yote-brown

I ordered it a week or so ago when it was priced at $99.. looks like the price has come up to $129 now.

Anyway, since it is a new pack to the Grey Ghost lineup, there wasn't a whole ton of info out there on it, so i bit the bullet and had one shipped.

From what I can gather from bits and pieces of info on the web, its a 500D version of Tactical Tailor's Extended Range Operator pack. This is unconfirmed, but I read somewhere that the packs were an over-run for a foreign military order and will only be available for a limited time.

Anyway, lets get to the pack!

I have to say, as soon as I pulled it from the box, I was impressed. For a hundred bucks I got a 3200 cubic inch bag covered in PALS goodness, with quality materials/stitching and lots of neat features not mentioned on the Grey Ghost site.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I will follow up later with a review on how it hold up long term. I have a feeling it will be fine, though.

Pics and info!

Face of Pack:

Right Side:

Left Side:
Image[/img]]

Harness and belt/support system includes padded shoulder straps and belt with air mesh covering, load lifters and sternum strap:

The internal frame consists of two aluminum stays that run the full height of the pack:

The shoulder straps are covered in webbing for adding gear:

The top of the pack includes an external pouch covered in Pals and a shock cord retaining system:

The pack body has two sets of zippers allowing for side zip access with the top remaining closed:

The dual zipper sets allow for the top to be opened partially the get to contents of main body, as well as revealing a small stash pocket:

At the base of the pack on each side, there is a slash pocket to hold water bottles etc, and are covered in PALS webbing. The belt system aslo has PALS webbing for attaching accessories as well:

The main pack flap folds out when completely unzipped and has see through zippered mesh pockets to hold goodies:

There are also zippered mesh pockets running down the inside of both sides of the pack. The bottom of the pack has a bright floor to help see stuff packed in the bag:

The bottom of the bag has more PALS webbing, as well as cinch straps for mounting a sleeping pad:

The bag has functional load lifter straps. There is also a passthrough for a hydration bladder tube behind the Grey Ghost logo. The carry handle also seems pretty darn sturdy:

There is an independent pocket (separate from the main body) with zippered top access and a small hanger for a hydration bladder:

Last but not least, there is a small, velcro accessed pocket on the top pouch with a built in Hi-Viz panel. Good for search and rescue, etc..

Anyway, there it is. I still can't believe all the stuff this pack offers for the price.
Last edited by offcamber on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murph

Re: Grey Ghost Gear Full Size Pack - lots of pics!

Post by Murph » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Very cool. The PALS on the belt are the biggest selling point for me. But the rest of the pack looks pretty damn nice too.

So when are we going backpacking again? And can I borrow it? :D
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Man, I have pack envy.

How much does it weigh?

Looks to have everything I would want in a pack with nothing I wouldn't, while being built strong.

Can't wait to see it in action!

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Is this 500D or 1000D?

Looks really neat, what are the dimensions?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Murph wrote:Very cool. The PALS on the belt are the biggest selling point for me. But the rest of the pack looks pretty damn nice too.

So when are we going backpacking again? And can I borrow it? :D
The PALS on the belt was a big seller for me too. I'll bring it up to our next meet at the cove for ya to check out. :D
Kutter_0311 wrote:Is this 500D or 1000D?

Looks really neat, what are the dimensions?
Its 500D, and it looks to be treated so it should be fairly water resistant.

The dimensions are roughly 26 inches tall, 12 inches wide, and 10 inches deep. Stuffed it bulges out to be a little larger.

Its advertised as 3200 cubic inches.
shrimpwd wrote: How much does it weigh?

I don't have a scale to accurately measure it, but its pretty light for its size, I think the 500D material is definitely keeping the weight down.

I bought it for a new BOB I'm building, as my INCH is a Mystery Ranch 6500 and fully packed its on the heavy side.

I wanted a lighter 3 day option on hand. I had built something similar in in a TAG pack but it was a bit too small, so I'm hoping this size fits my needs better.

LittleQuick

Post by LittleQuick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Yes thank you, I'm liking the looks.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

JRR

Post by JRR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:27 am

Nice! I've been waiting on this post. I may pick one up. Does it have a frame of any kind? I too, would be interested in the weight. The TT version weighs 6.5 pounds, btw.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 am

Looks a little heavy for my taste these days; but, damn, that's a nice looking pack. Probably one of the most practical "tactical" packs I've seen in awhile in terms of suspension, hip belt, and useful pockets/layout.

Need some action pics!
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 am

This looks a lot like a budget Eberlestock pack, and I want one. My Half-Track is fuckin heavy.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Bostoned
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

Post by Bostoned » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Great write up. Great looking pack. I think I want one. If anyone finds a source to get one at the $99 price point, let us know.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:11 pm

JRR wrote:Does it have a frame of any kind? I too, would be interested in the weight. The TT version weighs 6.5 pounds, btw.
Not perfect by any means, but my bathroom scale is telling me 5.2 lbs.. I did it 3 different times and came up with 5.2 every time, so I'm thinking its probably pretty close.

It does have an internal frame, two long aluminum stays that run vertically the full height of the pack. In the pic with the load lifter straps, you can can see that the stays run higher than the shoulder strap attachment points with the load lifter straps attached to the very top of the internal stays slot. The webbing for the carry handle are also stitched over the slot for the stays as well.

Stays/ stays slots:

Load lifter straps and carry handle attached to upper portion of the internal stays/stays slot:

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Bostoned wrote:Great write up. Great looking pack. I think I want one. If anyone finds a source to get one at the $99 price point, let us know.
I'm not sure why they raised the price. It had been $99 since they introduced it up until a couple of days ago. They even ran a deeper sale on them before Christmas (wish I had jumped on that, lol) that put them around $75. Maybe they realized they could get more for it since it offers a lot of bang for the buck.

ppfd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead! What else!

Post by ppfd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:55 pm

I was wondering about that bag, thanks!

$129.00, still not a bad price though.

JRR

Post by JRR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Tried to buy one today, but I keep getting an error when checking out. "Package 1 - Weight is missing or invalid." And I can't find a phone # for these guys. They do seem to be selling because the number in stock counter keeps dropping. I tried with Firefox, IE, and Chrome. Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this error, or have a contact # for GGG?

Edit: Also tried with my laptop, still can't order.
Last edited by JRR on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pelagius

Post by Pelagius » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:07 pm

I have bought an assault pack from these guys and it is rock solid. Looks like I will be making plans to pick up one of these as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 pm

The full-size is what they have the most of in stock, but I'm also really interested in their LiteLok assault packs. They look like an UL version of the ILBE assault pack I like so much. I'm digging the light weights on these rucks.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:04 pm

im considering it, but I think i should pick up a new water filter/ wood stove first.... any opinions?
Hey guys, Please check out my blog for gear reviews you can trust
http://suburbansurvivorgear.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new perspective on gear, to help you choose the best load-out for your situation

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 pm

JRR wrote:Tried to buy one today, but I keep getting an error when checking out. "Package 1 - Weight is missing or invalid." And I can't find a phone # for these guys. They do seem to be selling because the number in stock counter keeps dropping. I tried with Firefox, IE, and Chrome. Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this error, or have a contact # for GGG?

Edit: Also tried with my laptop, still can't order.
I just tried to add to cart and go to checkout screen and it did the same thing to me.. so its not just your computer.

Maybe shoot them an email and let them know something is screwy with their order page? They used to have their phone number on the site, but its not there anymore.

I had good luck getting a hold of someone via their service@greyghostgear.com address when I had a problem with an order in the past.

There should be free shipping on it too since its over $100.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 pm

GOODdaysir wrote:im considering it, but I think i should pick up a new water filter/ wood stove first.... any opinions?
That sounds like priorities you'll have to sort out for yourself, or give us a lot more info on :lol:

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:19 pm

When someone can order one, please post. I want one too.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 pm

I'd love to see the load out for this thing.

Boromokot

Post by Boromokot » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:47 pm

sweet jesus, that's a lot of pack! looks pretty good. keep us posted on how well it handles your gear. i totally wish i could justify picking one up :vmad:

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Looks great, man! Awesome find.

Also, didn't realize you have a Mystery Ranch - feel free to bring that one to the Cove too so I can sneak a peek at it and try not to drool :)

Hope y'all are doing well out in the boonies!

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 am

Resolute wrote:Looks great, man! Awesome find.

Also, didn't realize you have a Mystery Ranch - feel free to bring that one to the Cove too so I can sneak a peek at it and try not to drool :)

Hope y'all are doing well out in the boonies!
Hey Resolute,

We are doing pretty well, thanks for asking!

I've had the MR pack for a while now.. I actually had it with me at our last event, lol, but since we were all car camping It didn't leave the rig.

I just got some Kifaru side pockets it for christmas, but as the saying goes, if you have the space, you will find something to put in it, lol.

I'm hoping the new bag will fill the gap between my INCH and my day pack.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”