Zippo lighters.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Re: Zippo lighters.

Post by maine1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 pm

this might be splitting hairs, but they are filled with rayon/dacron instead of cotton.
It holds the fuel, and when reasonably full, the fuel displaces water.

I'll add mineral spirits to the list.

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm

maine1 wrote:this might be splitting hairs, but they are filled with rayon/dacron instead of cotton.

right on ( I believe you ) is there a source? the reason I ask is I was wondering if the earlier, pre 1960s models, had cotton or rayon/dacron mix.

I was also wondering if there was an advantage to the synthetic over natural. rot?

thanks for the additional info.
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

Miss Nothing
Favorite Zombie Movies: The list is quite long, when I decide to not be so lazy, I'll put a list up.

Post by Miss Nothing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 am

Last Knight wrote:
scurvy wrote: bigger's always better, right?
Obligatory "that's what she said."

Also, I bet that thing would make a decent camp stove...
Haha, that's exactly what I was going to say.
Scream and I'll kill you...

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 am

scurvy wrote:
maine1 wrote:this might be splitting hairs, but they are filled with rayon/dacron instead of cotton.

right on ( I believe you ) is there a source? the reason I ask is I was wondering if the earlier, pre 1960s models, had cotton or rayon/dacron mix.

I was also wondering if there was an advantage to the synthetic over natural. rot?

thanks for the additional info.

I got it from the Zippo packaging, but its on the website as well. Rot might be the issue, or that cotton REALLY likes to absorb water, but that rayon and dacron will absorb it but to a lesser extent, well enough to suck up fuel but not so much with water. That being said, I know people who do think cotton works betetr and will immediatley repack a new lighter with cotton. Whatever works for you, and all.

Miss Nothing
Favorite Zombie Movies: The list is quite long, when I decide to not be so lazy, I'll put a list up.

Post by Miss Nothing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 am

SRO1911 wrote: AVgas - works
Charcoal lighter fluid-works
Isopropyl alcohol - works, not well
grain alcohol - higher proof is better, works
white gas - works
stetson cologne - works (you wont enjoy that ciggy though)
acetone - works
pump gas - works
diesel - have to thin it
xylene - works

I have used pretty much all of this - I am sure others can add to the list, but its good to know there are field expedient solutions to a dry zippo.
Thanks for posting that, there were a few I wouldn't have thought of. That cigarette WOULD taste horrible if the cologne was used..when I was 9 or 10 I was fuckin' around and made toast over a lit scented candle. I took a huge bite and it burned and tasted horrible. I choked, and my eyes watered..my dumb ass didn't ever do that again.
Scream and I'll kill you...

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Dogan wrote:And I still want to try the infamous Thunderbird butane inserts for Zips. They seem like they would solve the evaporation problem quite neatly.
Why not just get a butane Zippo?
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

maine1

Post by maine1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:50 am

grennels wrote:Used to carry one - don't drop it in the water.

Why Not?

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 am

bltjr1951 wrote:
Dogan wrote:And I still want to try the infamous Thunderbird butane inserts for Zips. They seem like they would solve the evaporation problem quite neatly.
Why not just get a butane Zippo?
Because their 60 dollars? I mean, I'm a fan and they are undeniably classy, but still. I lose a Bic, it's two bucks. I lose a Ronson, it's four. A Blu? Much more wallet pain.

But they are made in the USA. And I am a fan of that.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55 pm

this is definitely splitting hairs but, in the interest of good information on this website:

the only mention of packing material on the zippo website or packaging is here,

http://www.zippo.com/customercare/article.aspx?id=1785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"What are some trouble shooting tips I can try myself to get my windproof lighter working again?

....... Be sure the wick is properly interwoven in the cotton packing located in the inside unit."

and just to satisfy my curiosity, I took 30 seconds and called Zippo customer care.

they told me the packing is indeed..... cotton.

( the point of this post was not to say anyone was "wrong, or gave bad information". I was just wondering what the advantages were of synthetic vs natural materials. no need to derail this thread any more than I already have. )
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

maine1

Post by maine1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Really...that's interesting...

I started an article on this years ago, and when I called the CS line, they forwarded my lierature that said different.
wondering- 1) if the CS person i spoke to knew, or 2) if materials were swapped for some reason.
I tend to think of #1, but in the Corps i was told the same thing, and about swapping for cotton, by some people who were more than squared away.
regardless- I DO SENCERELEY APOLOGIZE FOR BEING MISLEADING< albeit unintentionally.

Tempsky

Post by Tempsky » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:59 am

kmcdon3960 wrote:
Dogan wrote: And I still want to try the infamous Thunderbird butane inserts for Zips. They seem like they would solve the evaporation problem quite neatly.
I had one briefly, and it was the worst piece of junk I had ever owned in my entire life.
The cam was totally unreliable and the lighter only ignited about 15% of the time. It didn't fit correctly in the case, and was just poor quality overall.

I think they may be hit or miss --- I have one and it has worked perfectly every time since I got it.

Did you try the warranty ?

maine1

Post by maine1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:55 pm

OK, I found out the reason for my mistake: I have a PDF from a zippo collectors club, and it mentions that they had EXPERIMENTED with various materials in the past, but for various performance and economic reasons, settled on cotton.

This verified ( to me at least) what a GYSGT had told me in the corps.
again, this was MY BUST, and a failure on my part- i just wanted to come clean as it had been bothering me, as i do my due diligence, and was disapointed in myself that i had made such an obvious error.

As an aside, i have a slim model inbound, and since i have not played with one of those, i might test them head to head, just for comparison.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:05 pm

maine1 wrote:As an aside, i have a slim model inbound, and since i have not played with one of those, i might test them head to head, just for comparison.
Slims are nice and classy, but they dry quicker and burn for less time.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:15 pm

I used to keep a lot of Zippo lighters . Kinda collected them. Wish I could find one with the Punisher skull on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get off my lawn!!

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:22 am

rednekrampager wrote:I used to keep a lot of Zippo lighters . Kinda collected them. Wish I could find one with the Punisher skull on it.
Not sure if this is style is what you are looking for, but if you aren't opposed to shopping online:

http://www.amazon.com/Punisher-Skull-Sy ... B009AE25DW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1609332557 ... s&var=sbar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 am

maine1 wrote:

"Don't drop it in the water"

Why Not?

It will not work until dried out and refilled.

With a bic - wave it around for a couple minutes and you're good to go.

I carried a Zippo for 20+ years. But when in the bush I always backed it up with bics.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 am

Brotherbadger wrote:
rednekrampager wrote:I used to keep a lot of Zippo lighters . Kinda collected them. Wish I could find one with the Punisher skull on it.
Not sure if this is style is what you are looking for, but if you aren't opposed to shopping online:

http://www.amazon.com/Punisher-Skull-Sy ... B009AE25DW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1609332557 ... s&var=sbar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's the one , Thanx for the post.

Get off my lawn!!

Castello Dunhill

Post by Castello Dunhill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:14 am

I tried the thunderbird inserts in the past. Both the torch, and the side pipe lighter models. They were really a tight fit in most of my cases, and really only fit well into one of them. And I thought they were cheaply made, and really pretty unreliable.

I tried the thunderbirds in an attempt to stop the drying out issue. But in the end I decided to just deal with it, and bought one of the little zippo key ring fuel cans. Now I just use a standard zippo pipe insert, with the holes drilled in the sides, and top it off as needed with fuel.

maine1

Post by maine1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 pm

grennels wrote:
maine1 wrote:

"Don't drop it in the water"

Why Not?

It will not work until dried out and refilled.

I carried a Zippo for 20+ years. But when in the bush I always backed it up with bics.

Um...not my experience- did ya watch the vid? keep it full, and it helps.

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:39 pm

I'd agree, as with any fire starting gear, dropping in water is a bad idea unless your at home testing it out.
grennels wrote:It will not work until dried out and refilled.

you should probably take a look at post #1, as that is what it specifically addresses...

it's good info and I agree with it 100% from my personal experiences.

maine1 wrote:I DO SENCERELEY APOLOGIZE FOR BEING MISLEADING
no problem man... when I said "filled with cotton" I had no sources, I was just assuming.

I think it turned out for the best, the info I followed with wasn't mine, it was from zippo, so now we know.

bottom line: zippo is a damn good product.
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

maine1

Post by maine1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 am

yes, they are.

I have a zippo handwarmer on order, and am hoping I can use it for a winter MBO, sort of a "with what i ahve on me/EDC " type deal. looking forward to testing it, as i have had a few cheape knockoffs of the same type and they workl pretty well, so i want to see what a quality one can do.

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:30 am

maine1 wrote:yes, they are.

I have a zippo handwarmer on order, and am hoping I can use it for a winter MBO

I broke out my old "JON-E" last night, gave it a overnight test: 1/2 oz fuel lasted 10 hours.

will try to do a review over the weekend.
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 am

I loved my Zippos when I smoked, didn't like it when they'd leak a bunch of fluid all over my leg while in my pocket, that shit burns! I may add one to my gear (since I still have a few), and a bottle of fluid.
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:40 am

I had a Thunderbird in my Zippo. Worked fantastic until it ran out of gas, it refused to fill properly.

Someone please tell me of this Bic flint trick.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Return to “Bug Out Gear”