2013 WMBO Entry -- Umbrella and Drew5337 -- w/ pic/vid

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Umbrella

2013 WMBO Entry -- Umbrella and Drew5337 -- w/ pic/vid

Post by Umbrella » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Drew5337 and myself have done a winter bug-out camp now for about 8 years. Before starting this tradition we had camped many many a time, over the years, but winter camping has always provided the best test of skills and kit. The last 2 years have been disappointing for us, mainly due to the unseasonably warm weather. When it is a high of 50 and a low of 32, in an AO that is typically 30 degrees colder this time of the year, it doesn't have the same effect. Luckily this year proved to be much more on par.

---A Video Tour of our WMBO Camp---

---A Map of our winter bug-out camp ---
-Hking route in yellow (north end start, south stop, red dot camp)--

We chose a new AO for this years camp. We typically utilized the various state conservation areas for our camps. They are easily accessible and provide for an relatively undisturbed camp this time of year. Right before we were to head out we received 3-4” of snow in that area. As such we knew a good time was ahead.

---Hiking into camp---
Drew5337 with a Kifaru MMR, EE, Long and 2-quart pockets in Multicam

Me with the ILBE, Kifaru Claymore and 2-Quart pockets and a Kifaru large pod

We drove to our predetermined parking spot (north most yellow dot on map) on the gravel road that entered the area, put on our packs, and started our hike. Our projected route was approximately 1.5 miles in length through the conservation area, with very minimal changes in elevation (ie a few hills). Immediately we again learned hiking in snow, without snow shoes, is a seriously tiring affair.

Once we reached our desired camping location we dropped our packs and hiked back, utilizing the road way, to retrieve the vehicle. This way if the ranger stopped by we could hear his truck and make sure he didn't think our vehicle was abandoned.

---Our water source---
Drew5337 and the partially frozen stream

Camp was quickly assembled. The AO had a few major benefits. The first being that there was a liquid water source in the form of a running stream. Not having to melt everything we drank was a huge plus. The negative was the banks were about 20 feet tall and about 85-90 degrees straight down.

---The fuel supply---
With a bit of work we found some wood

The other serious plus was an abundance of downed wood. Though it had snowed, our summer was overly dry. Every piece of wood under the snow was still good to burn. It made the energy expenditure and collection effort of gathering fuel much easier to manage. Most wood was easily broken up in a forked tree.

---Quenching my thirst---
After pumping water I enjoy some ice cold refreshment

Drew5337 got to fire building and I worked on water detail. We used a selection of Nalgene bottles (1 litter hard, and 3 litter collapsible) and an MSR Miniworks filter to easily collect all the water we needed.

Outside of the fire we had a few stoves to utilize for cooking and making hot water bottles for our sleeping bags. Just as an aside if you've never used a hot water bottle in the foot of your bag, give it a whirl some time.

---The Solostove---
Drew5337 and his woodgas Solostove

Drew5337 utilized the Solostove and the Coleman Max aluminum cook kit. The stove is a woodgas stove that allows you to fully combust wood and the smoke to make a very efficient stove the nest perfectly in this cook kit. We've made a few woodgas stoves from cans, and this thing beats the pants of the home made variety. Most certainly worth the coin.

---The Svea123---
My Svea123 and SIGG Tourist

I utilized the Svea123 and the SIGG Tourist cook kit. I've used many alcohol stoves, and stayed away from white gas as most stoves need hoses, pumps and o-rings . For me these were all points of failure. The Svea123 is solid brass, and has one moving part, the valve, and no o-rings or other seals. This thing is easy to use, hot, and built like a tank. Personally my favorite stove.

---Our Shelters---
The $20 Tent and a Sierra Designs Origami 2

Shelters worked as expected. Drew5337 was running a generic $20 tent from Cabellas. We've used these for years, and for being a 2 season tent, they work remarkable well as 3-4 season tents (if you have a good sleeping bag). I was using the Sierra Designs Origami 2 tipi. With snow on the ground, and no stove for my tent, I decided to run the floor option this time.

Sleeping was a easy task. We both use Wiggys sleeping bags. Drew5337 brought his single Wiggys 0 degree bag and I brought my -20 FTRSS. Yes, they're big and heavier than others, but I've been in this thing wet from rain and was instantly warm and sleep like a baby. I admit we're both Wiggys fan boys, but it's because it works.

---Modern Tech---
A PowerFilm 5w folding solar panel

We had a bit of other tech as well. I had a PowerFilm 5w folding solar panel. This came in handy for our gps/smartphones and my ham radio. Since our phones did not work in this AO, we had a ham radio. Just a simple Baofeng handled and a roll up j-pole to get out a bit more from the camp site. I was easily able to speak into our local repeater network and made a contact here and there.

---Skill Building---
Drew5337 descends the bluff

Also we brought something for fun and skill building, some rappelling kit. On our last day we strapped up our harnesses, threw out the line and descended some of the steeper creek walls. Good and safe times were had by all.

We stayed for 3 days, stayed warm, hydrated and well feed the whole time. The one thing that I'd consider adding to my winter INCH bag is snow shoes and or a roll up sled. Hiking in just a bit of snow with a heavy winter ruck is not much fun.

Hope everyone can get out and enjoy the season, I know we did.

Stay warm.
Last edited by Umbrella on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Umbrella Corporation--
International Biological Solutions

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Re: 2013 WMBO Entry -- Umbrella and Drew5337 -- w/ pic/vid

Post by omega_man » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Rappelling :shock: That's fucking sweet. Nice trip.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Aim2Maim

Post by Aim2Maim » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 am

Very nice, looks like a good time!
Behold the pale white horse, the man that sat on him was death, and hell followed with him.
If you prepare for the impossible, you can survive the inevitable.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:00 am

Very nice trip! Love the video. Thanks for sharing!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Nice trip! Rappelling makes everything better. :clap:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:47 am

Nice entry. Hiking with a pack through the snow can be a PITA. Thanks for posting.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

cap6888

Post by cap6888 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 am

Great post!

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:31 am

Another great entry! Almost enjoy reading these as much as being out making my own :)

First of all I have a question. You wrote:
"---Hiking into camp---
Drew5337 with a Kifaru MMR, EE, Long and 2-quart pockets in Multicam"

I have always used old surplus stuff but recently I have realized that new stuff is actually better - go figure.. But this means that I have no clue on brands, so is it the backpack that is kifaru or the uniform? Because I really like the uniform but it looks a bit like some of the uniforms from helikon and I am evaluating different options. Would like something that withstands some rain but still isn't too heavy. So Drew5337, could I get the specs on the uniform if you recommend it?

The abundance of fire wood actually made me feel like you were rich for a second, seems like my mind got permanently set on outdoors values on my recent bug out :lol: Don't know about you guys, but when being out in the wilderness I always think about what is really important in life, like water supply, food and warmth. That Sierra tent seemed to be a good choice, do you know the weight of it? Also a very good idea with solar panel, nice to be able to recharge small battery powered items.

Seems like you guys had a wonderful time and the rappeling equipment might come in handy in many situations.
Thanks for this post, I learn a lot from all the entries including this :)
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Umbrella

Post by Umbrella » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:42 pm

Krieger wrote:Another great entry! Almost enjoy reading these as much as being out making my own :)

First of all I have a question. You wrote:
"---Hiking into camp---
Drew5337 with a Kifaru MMR, EE, Long and 2-quart pockets in Multicam"

so is it the backpack that is kifaru or the uniform? Because I really like the uniform but it looks a bit like some of the uniforms from helikon and I am evaluating different options. Would like something that withstands some rain but still isn't too heavy. So Drew5337, could I get the specs on the uniform if you recommend it?
The backpack brand is Kifaru (can be found here http://www.kifaru.net/ ). The camouflage pattern on the pack and the jacket is multicam. The uniform jacket is a US issue pattern ACU jacket and is a poly/cotton ripstop material that is basically a heavy shirt and as such is not terribly resistant to precipitation. There are many other hardshell jackets available in multicam if you are looking for such a thing. As an example I have a current issue ECWCS GenIII multicam goretex hardshell, and it is wind and water proof.
--Umbrella Corporation--
International Biological Solutions

Krieger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Krieger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 pm

That backpack looks a lot better than mine, I always tend to cheap out on the wrong items..
Is this the same jacket/shirt as in the photo? http://www.military1st.co.uk/bl-acu-nr- ... ticam.html

Seems like that shirt worked well in cold, dry weather so my guess is that it is effective against some wind too compared to a sweater at least? Must admit that I really like the looks of it and now I am just trying to find reasons for why I need it so bad :wink:
What is your opininion on the hardshell jacket? I think I saw that one too in that shop. I really shouldn't be browsing that site, might become a bit expensive..
Anyways, thanks a lot for the quick answer!
Scandinavians unite : http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 88&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Nice MBO entry, looked like a fun outing! I like the retro SVEA 123 stove! I have one and also like its simplicity.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Nice! I like seeing people talk about their setup and the reasoning for including certain bits of gear. Well done.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Return to “Bug Out Gear”