How much is you BOB worth ?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JayOlliver

How much is you BOB worth ?

Post by JayOlliver » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Was wondering ... How much did you BOB cost to put together in total ?

Guessing mine is around the £1500 ($2420) range, but that's for 4 people, my kits is pretty much an INCH Bag with 3 days food and enough water purification to last use over a month ... I have no firearms in that (UK Gun Laws) ...

Reason I ask ... My friend's house was broken into few nights ago ... They took loads of his expensive camping gear and his insurance is now not wanting to pay out for it because he has no proof what was in the 3 bags they took ... I have now photographed and documented everything in my BOB for just such a situation

So how much you BOB Cost ?

GSHX2

Re: How much is you BOB worth ?

Post by GSHX2 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:51 pm

As it stands roughly 3.5k

Planned additions/on hand that isn't in it yet 2k

Research and development of trying things that don't work then finding something that does (wasted money?) 1.5k

Damn, I need a life.

Photo documentation is one of the benefits of posting on the site for me.

ETA: that 2k addition is a long arm, optics, sling, and ammo, not even getting into the gem tec that I am going to be dropping the paperwork for next month (I am not helping my own case for getting a life here)

Most of my gear is cottage industry custom built ultra light stuff so it is above average in cost. Figures are in USD.
Last edited by GSHX2 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gauging interest in a Colorado Springs Chapter:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

LittleQuick

Post by LittleQuick » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Primary bag is 300$
Gear is getting the price up to 550$ish?

I have no tents or any multiple nights gear that should explain.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:56 am

Oh, geez...

My Bob, just by itself? Around $1500, but that is just hiking gear really. Hammock, tarp, sleep gear, stove, water purification, and clothing. Nothing special. The full-on GOOD/INCH setup? More than I care to ponder at this moment.

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:58 am

Priceless when it counts. :twisted:

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:28 am

I've probably got 400 bucks of stuff in my 72-hour bag, plus the $200 cost of the bag itself, plus the money I keep in it.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:22 am

Bag: $29.99
Contents: roughly $200, possibly less.

This brings up a great topic, keeping track of not only your inventory and skills, but also the cost incurred. At one point I tried to keep track of the costs, but kind of abandoned the idea.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Good post topic, OP.

Having photographic proof of ownership of items is a key in getting any kind of a settlement from an insurance company.

I think most of us have accumulated gear over a lifetime and rarely buy items or material 'just' for the BOB or disaster kit.

One way of looking at this, I suppose, is that over the years, my auto& home insurance companies have collected 10s of thousands of dollars in premiums. I've collected back very little, but having some peace of mind is part of the deal...

So it is with a BOB. As insurance against an uncertain world, it's a small price to pay for the peace of mind I get... And I can use it for camping out!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

JayOlliver

Post by JayOlliver » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 am

sounds like mine is kinda about average ... i got extra truck in my cupboard that has additional gear prob a £1000 worth as extra's and such ... these were either going to be added to BOB's or thrown into an extra ruck for any extra persons

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:03 pm

Built a econo-bob one time for grins and giggles for $75. One bob was about $400, so I'd guess 300-800 is average, not counting guns. My lightweight kit easily hits $2K. But at 16 lbs (less water, winter weight) with three days rations. My old bob, now the truck bag, weighs 35 lbs and cost about $450.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 am

Without guns or ammo it is probably like $600-700. But a LOT of that is big ticket items like BK knives or Celox, which do not take up much room but add to the price really quickly. My bag, blanket and sleeping roll are probably $80 bucks total cause they are surplus. My Criter Getter kit is probably $50 bucks total invested and likely the most important part for long term survival.

But I do love expensive knives. And not bleeding to death.

zombieresponder

Post by zombieresponder » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 pm

I don't have an exact number. I also don't have a complete pack yet. No sleep system or shelter, incomplete FAK, as examples. As it sits right now, between the pack itself and the rifle that's sitting in it, it cost me around $1k. There's probably another $200 of stuff inside, and I have stuff that hasn't been put in yet.

I'm trying to keep overall cost and weight down so I'll be making my own hammock, top and under quilts, backpacker's quilt, and tarp. Actually..I've gotta make 2 of everything--one for me and one for the wife. Sewing was on my list of things to learn anyway. :awesome:

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 pm

The figures some guys are quoting here surprised me, until I finally added sum functions to my BOB spreadsheet. It looks like I've got $1500 in the bag and $1300 in the BOV. The bag is only in the 40-pound (18 kg) range, too.

I can't believe it's that much at first, but I look at the stuff I use regularly (during camping season, anyway), there's my titanium pot and stove, a good set of binocs, a Fenix flashlight, and it all starts to add up. I use my regular camping gear in the BOB, gear I've been very slowly upgrading for twenty years, from the Coleman slumber bag that was the size of a beer keg when rolled up, to a stuff sack mummy the size of a grapefruit. I get my money's worth out of the gear, so it's not as bad as the sticker shock.

I see that I EDC about $400 of not-even-survival gear, including a watch, pocketknife, and flashlight, and even that is less than 2/3 the replacement cost of my smartphone.

If you want to consider firearms, an AR, a Glock, magazines, ammo, and a handful of accessories can really easily hit $2000. Not something you think about, but now I'm visualizing a guy in camo gear holding an inch-thick stack of new twenty-dollar bills with a sling on it.

Firing rolled-up singles :vmad: .
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:13 pm

I don't know current kit value, but the kit I had back in July was about $800.
Right now I'm using a different pack, a different water filter, a tarp instead of the tent, extra clothing and food, etc.
Also, how does gift and trade values work here? I won a Grand Trunk double last year, I traded a $2 rain jacket for the Karrimor $60ish rain jacket (heavier, but on the AT worth about the same. YAY!), traded 5oz of silver for a pack ($17 when traded, but almost twice that now.), food costs always vary...

I could safely say I've yet to spend $4000 on preps/hiking gear, overall. Not a lot of income to spend on things like this, so I try to make each purchase count.

It isn't the cost of the kit, but the knowledge how to use it. Now if I could find more time to go out and use it!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”