Best way to incorporate a dry bag into gear?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AnonEmous

Best way to incorporate a dry bag into gear?

Post by AnonEmous » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 am

I recently picked up two Seattle Sport dry bags from Home Depot for the decent price of 14.88 (normally $50.00). The type of dry bag can be found here.

My main question is should I use the larger dry bag as a liner to my main pack or use it as an addition to my main pack and have it full sitting next to my main pack? I am still experimenting with it and it is big enough that it could hold everything in my main pack, some of which does not need to be protected from water.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Best way to incorporate a dry bag into gear?

Post by airballrad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:16 am

I have always used stuff sacks in organizing my pack for camping as well as in BOB planning. Reason being that it keeps things organized, it's easier to get to something quickly at the bottom of the pack without dumping the whole thing out, and it makes it easier to find stuff quickly with little light (by using different sizes/colors of sacks). When in the Scouts, we'd maximize the number of people in the tent for winter camping, which meant leaving our packs outside. A small stuff sack with clothing/toiletries/etc has a much smaller footprint than a whole pack.

There are cheap nylon "dry bags" at Wally World that I have picked up for this purpose. While I wouldn't use them on a canoe trip, they keep things organized and probably drier if I were to get rained on. I'd suggest looking at this dry bag as a liner/grab bag for your pack. Keep things in there you really want at quickly or really want dry.

cap6888

Post by cap6888 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:04 pm

The Home Depot bags show out of stock on line. :(

Must have been too god of a deal to last.

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:16 pm

cap6888 wrote:The Home Depot bags show out of stock on line. :(

Must have been too god of a deal to last.
I actually came across them in the store and they seemed to have at least a few display cases of them.

I have not yet dumped everything in my bag and thrown in the dry bag to use as a liner.

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

Gr3g

Post by Gr3g » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:54 am

As others have mentioned they are great for organizing gear inside your bag.

As for using one as a liner then I guess the season, terrain and type of rucksack will most likely dictate whether or not this is necessary. Another alternative would be to carry a contractor bag which can be transformed into a liner if the weather closes in or you need to cross a river.

Contractor bags will not be as durable over longer periods than the heavy duty dry bags though. I do a lot of sea kayaking and I cannot recommend the thinner nylon style dry bags...they suck over longer periods!

My rucksack is a top loader so dry bags help a lot with organisation, I recently re-organised my pack and ended up removing 3 dray bags. If I had a panel loader like the Kifaru Marauder then perhaps I'd re-consider.

The best way to incorporate a dry dag for you will only be identified after a lot of trial and error, so buy or borrow a couple then get out there and see what works for you :D

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 am

I like using smaller bags to organze stuff in my kits. I don't use dry bags for everything (ziplocks and H2O proof map cases get called into action a lot) but I ALWAYS pack my clothing and bedding in dry bags, whether it's just for an overnight trip, in our personal GHBs/dayhike kits, or in the family BOB. Rain and snow are realities of life here and having your bag get a soaker is a real PITA, especially if it's cool or cold outside.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Gr3g wrote:As others have mentioned they are great for organizing gear inside your bag. :D
I already have smaller bags from LA Police Gear to organize my main compartment and use side compartments and also heavy duty zip locks for sub-organization.

One dry bag is nearly too big to use as anything but a liner, the other one could comfortably fit into my main pack.

So it is really not as much a matter of organization as it is should I use it in my main pack or along side it? I assume I should incorporate it in the pack, because I would not want to carry it and the pack.

Comments thus far are appreciated and any others are welcome, thanks.

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:43 pm

AnonEmous wrote:I assume I should incorporate it in the pack, because I would not want to carry it and the pack.
That all comes down to whether your pack is well suited to strap on an extra bag without too much sway while you're walking. It's nice to have that option if you need overflow space, but not at the cost of balance/blisters/sore muscles.

irukandji

Post by irukandji » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:46 am

I was having issues this summer with sweating my ass off and it soaking thru the backpad of my Osprey, getting things that were not in dry sacks already wet (Hammock, Poncho Liner, etc.) So I went out and bought a 35L Sea to Summit dry bag and it fit perfectly inside the Kestrel 58, problem solved.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

cap6888

Post by cap6888 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Where in the store did you find them? I'm hoping to head there tomorrow and see if they still have the deal on them.

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm

cap6888 wrote:Where in the store did you find them? I'm hoping to head there tomorrow and see if they still have the deal on them.
They were close to the entrance of Home Depot and also at one point near some of the check outs. I did not notice any left when I was there today, but your results may vary.

cap6888

Post by cap6888 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks!

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:43 pm

my 2cents is that these are probably a little heavy to make it worth using inside your BOB. I'd invest in some light weight sea-to-summit style bags for sure, once you get used to using them you can't go without (they are great for compressing gear as well as organizing and waterproofing).
that being said, these are great for supplemental grab-bags next to your BOB. I packed one of my heavier dry bags full of heavy grub that was too heavy for my pack, my idea was I could grab it and carry it with me or huck it in the bag of my rig if I had the option to bug out via vehicle.
I'd fill them with heavy non-essential gear that can be left behind if things get really hairy and you need to go fast.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:50 pm

I bought some of the issued WP bags from the PX before I EASed. If you pack right, they rock. If you suck at packing, the get a hole. My favorite is the Assault Pack liner, which is the one IIRC that is bright fuckoff orange on the inside, for marking a campsite or signalling aircraft.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Bug Out Gear”