Ultra light sleeping bag? Anyone have a 1 pound or less bag?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

alfred10

Ultra light sleeping bag? Anyone have a 1 pound or less bag?

Post by alfred10 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 am

I have the USGI sleep system. It is way too heavy for my bug out bag. I want something that is super light weight possibly with a goretex cover. Are any bags 1 pound or less and will work in 30ish degree weather?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Ultra light sleeping bag? Anyone have a 1 pound or less

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 am

Respectfully, your weight/temperature requirements are unrealistic. That level of performance from a one pound or less bag is really starting to bump into some basic laws of thermodynamics.

This was a close as I could find, and even with ultra-premium 850 fill down, I really have to wonder about the claimed 43 degree comfort rating.

http://marmot.com/products/atom?p=117,140&ft=140

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:04 am

http://tinyurl.com/chocton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:08 am

Unless you go for some of the microclimate - crazy - UL stuff, (the guys who use a cuben or spaceblanket wrap, plan on sweating to induce a microclimate in the bag, pray the wind doesnt catch them during the night, and just plan on freezing their ___ off when they have to get up) you simply cant get below 1 pound for any realistic temp range. I have a Western Mountaineering Caribou bag, and love it. It weighs in at 24 ounces with the stuffsack, I have slept plenty comfy in low 40's, but I wouldnt trust it much below 35 without a reactor inner liner or something similar (which would add still more weight). The Marmot Helium is the only other bag I know of that is that light, but claims lower temps.

Change your request to "2 pound or less" and I thinkg we would have quite a few great options!

Edit: Well, look at that. WM has a 35 degree bag that weighs 16 ounces. Wow. So maybe it is possible...

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:29 am

If you've got $300 to spend, then yes the WM High Lite could do the trick. For a lower price point, you might want to look into the down backpacking quilts. These are like sleeping bags in that they are similar materials and have a box foot, but since bags loose insulating loft when you lay on them, the quilt eliminates that part.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 am

This is what I have:
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/epiphany.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
30&40 degree rating depending on the size you need are 1 pound or under. This is the crazy cuben fiber stuff that Mr. Dark speaks of. I can't say yes or no on recommending it yet. I just got it a short time a go and the cosmic joke is that I have been sick during the last two weeks that I have had off, hoping to get out on a weekend in the next few weeks.

Pros:
Light as hell (my zero degree rated is 24oz with a silnylon stuff sack)
Waterproof (mostly except at the edge where the seam is sewn)
Adjustable loft by inflating (think more like an inflatable sleeping pad, less air/less loft/warmer temps; more air/higher loft/cooler temps.

Cons:
Top bag (need a pad under you if you see that as a con)
Price
Vapor barrier (need to periodically open the bag at night to vent condensation, basically it is an insulated trash bag)

If you go up to the 2lb range you can get something cheaper that isn't a vapor barrier and probably more comfortable. Mine is a very specialized piece of gear that I have researched and known there would be draw backs to have a 24oz zero degree bag.
Gauging interest in a Colorado Springs Chapter:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 am

Even going for ultralight gear you are not going to hit sub one pound for a comfortable sub 30 sleep.
My 900 fill power Speer Winter TopBlanket is 18oz and the Thinlite pad is another 6oz to get me down to a comfortable 20-30 degree temp, and remember: ultralight costs $

If you are looking to save/shave weight maybe take a look at some of the other heavy items and try to make the weight cuts there?

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 am

alfred10 wrote:I have the USGI sleep system. It is way too heavy for my bug out bag. I want something that is super light weight possibly with a goretex cover. Are any bags 1 pound or less and will work in 30ish degree weather?
Considering you’re starting from one of the heaviest sleeping bag systems known to mankind my advice is look for something within the 2-3 LB range. This way it will be easier to find a bag in either synthetic or down, be reasonably priced and honestly rated for the required temps. Sub 2 pounds is possible. I have a 1 LB 14 oz bag that fits the bill but 1 LB isn't going to work IMO. Also you need a ground pad.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 am

alfred10 wrote:I have the USGI sleep system. It is way too heavy for my bug out bag. I want something that is super light weight possibly with a goretex cover. Are any bags 1 pound or less and will work in 30ish degree weather?
Short of aerogel or fairy farts this isn't going to happen.

The shell material alone will eat up 80% of the weight, and that's without the insulation.

NXP

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 am

The Snugpak jungle bag is rated for 45°-36° and weighs 27oz. During my MBO, my buddy was using the jungle bag in the middle of that range and froze his ass off so I'm not sure I'd trust it.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 pm

74 or more wrote:The Snugpak jungle bag is rated for 45°-36° and weighs 27oz. During my MBO, my buddy was using the jungle bag in the middle of that range and froze his ass off so I'm not sure I'd trust it.
At ours one of our guys had one too - on an UL cot, with a thermal bivvy around it, low 40s. Was cold as fuck. Mostly where his body touched the cot but also in the "loft" parts. Just too thin.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

hestenet

Post by hestenet » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:18 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
74 or more wrote:The Snugpak jungle bag is rated for 45°-36° and weighs 27oz. During my MBO, my buddy was using the jungle bag in the middle of that range and froze his ass off so I'm not sure I'd trust it.
At ours one of our guys had one too - on an UL cot, with a thermal bivvy around it, low 40s. Was cold as fuck. Mostly where his body touched the cot but also in the "loft" parts. Just too thin.
Yup - that was me. Didn't work out like I wanted. The thermal bivvy + jungle bag just wasn't warm enough this past weekend out in the OR woods. I was pretty much up all night shivering.

I'm going to a solid 0° bag like the wife. Your warmth is not the place to save weight.

That said, getting the lightest thing you can that still has a solid rating isn't a bad thing.

ETA: I had this bright idea that we'd be able to keep the wood stove fed all night, but that didn't quite work out either. :rofl: Going to keep working on it. Pretty pleased with the rest of our kit for the MBO though.
ZSC011 | Fall MBO '12 | My 40lb, 4 season BOB - full thread coming soon.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:29 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
It's a damn shame really. It kind of makes me wonder about the rest of their bags.

OP - Why not just use the Green bag with (or without) the gortex cover? Further more, why the need for such requirements? Are you working with a smaller pack? Maybe the answer is not a smaller sleep system but a larger pack.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Post by 3030 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm on the same page about the Enlightened Equipment quilts. I have the Revelation X in 20 degree regular fill and I love it. I had it out a while ago for an overnighter and even though the winds were blowing and the temp dropped to about 36, I was extremely warm. It definitely made me realize that the extra padding below the sleeping bags isn't needed. Plus, my quilt was just over $200 and weighs under 1 lb. The only trade off is that you'd need to add in a sleeping pad. Oh darn, your entire sleep system weighs about 1.5 lbs :roll: (I use the Thermarest Z-Lite and cut off all the sections below my butt, each one being an ounce. So the 14 panel pad minus the 6 I didn't need made it 8 oz.)

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:01 pm

A USGI poncho liner comes in at about 21 oz, over your one pound. Having frozen my backside off on more than one night in a PL, may I suggest - as have others, that two pounds is a bit more realistic.

The USGI gore-tec bivy by itself is just under (1 lb, 15 oz) 2 lbs. Commercial bivys are a tad less.

Good luck, I gave up on being part of the 'travel light, freeze at night' crowd, life's just too short to spend uncomfortable nights trying to sleep.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 pm

I have a Western Mountaineering 35 degree bag @ 15 ounces. I have slept in it at 27 degrees in only a silk top and bottom and I was toastie warm, and I sleep tend to sleep cold.
I have a WM 10 degree bag at 2 lbs that's warm at 12 degrees. They were $360 and $460 but after a couple of uses they are worth it.
My MSS at 9 lbs is barely warm at 30 degrees. Shoot, I had a 40 degree Coleman 4 lb bag and a Korean War sleeping bag cover sprayed with Scotch Gard that was warm at 25 degrees.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:20 am

74 or more wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:
It's a damn shame really. It kind of makes me wonder about the rest of their bags.

OP - Why not just use the Green bag with (or without) the gortex cover? Further more, why the need for such requirements? Are you working with a smaller pack? Maybe the answer is not a smaller sleep system but a larger pack.
SnugPaks bags are fine. Just need to get the right temp, maybe shoot a bit lower as SnugPak has a rep to undershoot it'd bag ratings. Like "30 degrees f ... if you are Royal Marine Recon or an SAS trooper or something like that. 40 degrees f for you soft folks out there."
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 am

^^^^^^^^ I got a zero degree bag because the lowest realistic temps for the AO I have in mind are around 15 degrees.
Gauging interest in a Colorado Springs Chapter:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm

http://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest ... egree-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is what I use, I have the long at 1 lb 8oz. with no zippers it really packs well. I actually find it more comfortable then a traditional mummy bag, the hole in the bottom gives it lots of stretch to move with you and it is supper fast to put on and take off (more like taking off a sweater then climbing out of a cacoon)

I wouldn't use this for bugging out as it is down, looking into a synthetic woodie or quilt for that.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”